Never Told 2

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
October 27, 2004 1:27:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

These questions were suggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
by Rick Beyer.

1. An explorer, on seeing what was to later become Canada,
decided not to land. He told his story to another explorer,
sold him his ship, who landed. Name the two explorers.

2. The first words a friendly Indian greeted an English ship
was a request for something that the ship was running out of.
Name the Indian, the ship, and the something.

3. The siege of what European city gave birth to the croissant?

4. Describe how Chappe's telegraph worked.

5. What hapless inventor of the safety pin sold away the patent
rights for $100?

6. The U.S. Civil War started in this man's backyard and ended in his
front parlor. Name him.

7. What were diggers of the 1912 New York subway surprised to find?

8. A Presidential candidate was called Mrs. Satan for her free
love platform. Name her and her party.

9. A governor of an island was afraid that a volcano panic would keep
people from an election in which his party had an interest. So he
instructed the editor of the local paper to downplay the story.
Bad move. Name the island and the governor.

10. Teddy Roosevelt convened a meeting at the White House to discuss
the rising brutality of a popular event. Name the event.

11. In 1908 a sporting goods millionaire spun a story that an
all-American hero invented baseball. Name the millionaire
and the Civil War hero.

12. What wrong turn lead to a war?

13. What murderer was encouraged to build guns while serving time?
Name one of the guns he designed.

14. What trial was hatched as a PR ploy by the town fathers?

15. In a misguided move to boost the economy, a holiday was moved
up a week by FDR. Name it (he moved it back the next year).

16. What British Commander (later famous as an author), advised
William Donovan on the establishment of the OSS?

17. What guerilla leader was once a busboy in the Parker Hotel in Boston?

18. When a Wham-O founder visited a this campus, he noticed the students
playing with tins. Name the campus and what was in the tins.

More about : told

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 1:27:16 AM

Jim Ward wrote:

> These questions were suggested by "The Greatest Stories Never
> Told" by Rick Beyer.
>

> 3. The siege of what European city gave birth to the croissant?

Vienna

> 10. Teddy Roosevelt convened a meeting at the White House to
> discuss the rising brutality of a popular event. Name the
> event.

Football

> 11. In 1908 a sporting goods millionaire spun a story that an
> all-American hero invented baseball. Name the millionaire
> and the Civil War hero.

The hero was Abner Doubleday. Don't know the millionaire.

> 12. What wrong turn lead to a war?

The one that Archduke Ferdinand's driver took in Sarajevo

> 14. What trial was hatched as a PR ploy by the town fathers?

Scopes

> 15. In a misguided move to boost the economy, a holiday was
> moved up a week by FDR. Name it (he moved it back the next
> year).

Thanksgiving

> 18. When a Wham-O founder visited a this campus, he noticed
> the students playing with tins. Name the campus and what
> was in the tins.

Pies were in the tins; The campus was back east, wasn't it?
Princeton or Yale or somewhere like that.

--
Dan Tilque
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <clmffj$qbc$1@news1.radix.net>, tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com says...
> These questions were suggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
> by Rick Beyer.
>
> 1. An explorer, on seeing what was to later become Canada,
> decided not to land. He told his story to another explorer,
> sold him his ship, who landed. Name the two explorers.

?
Henry Hudson?

> 2. The first words a friendly Indian greeted an English ship
> was a request for something that the ship was running out of.
> Name the Indian, the ship, and the something.
>
> 3. The siege of what European city gave birth to the croissant?

Toledo?

> 4. Describe how Chappe's telegraph worked.
>
> 5. What hapless inventor of the safety pin sold away the patent
> rights for $100?
>
> 6. The U.S. Civil War started in this man's backyard and ended in his
> front parlor. Name him.
>
> 7. What were diggers of the 1912 New York subway surprised to find?

existing tunnels?

> 8. A Presidential candidate was called Mrs. Satan for her free
> love platform. Name her and her party.

Someone other than Hillary?

> 9. A governor of an island was afraid that a volcano panic would keep
> people from an election in which his party had an interest. So he
> instructed the editor of the local paper to downplay the story.
> Bad move. Name the island and the governor.
>
> 10. Teddy Roosevelt convened a meeting at the White House to discuss
> the rising brutality of a popular event. Name the event.
>
> 11. In 1908 a sporting goods millionaire spun a story that an
> all-American hero invented baseball. Name the millionaire
> and the Civil War hero.
>
> 12. What wrong turn lead to a war?
>
> 13. What murderer was encouraged to build guns while serving time?
> Name one of the guns he designed.
>
> 14. What trial was hatched as a PR ploy by the town fathers?

Scopes trial?

> 15. In a misguided move to boost the economy, a holiday was moved
> up a week by FDR. Name it (he moved it back the next year).

Thanksgiving

> 16. What British Commander (later famous as an author), advised
> William Donovan on the establishment of the OSS?
>
> 17. What guerilla leader was once a busboy in the Parker Hotel in Boston?

Ho Chi Minh

> 18. When a Wham-O founder visited a this campus, he noticed the students
> playing with tins. Name the campus and what was in the tins.

pies?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
October 27, 2004 3:09:53 AM

Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote:
>These questions were suggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
>by Rick Beyer.
>
>1. An explorer, on seeing what was to later become Canada,
> decided not to land. He told his story to another explorer,
> sold him his ship, who landed. Name the two explorers.

Bjarni Herjolfsson and Leif Eriksson.

>3. The siege of what European city gave birth to the croissant?

Vienna.

>4. Describe how Chappe's telegraph worked.

Waving mechanical arms on hilltops. See description in "The Count
of Monte Cristo".

>9. A governor of an island was afraid that a volcano panic would keep
> people from an election in which his party had an interest. So he
> instructed the editor of the local paper to downplay the story.
> Bad move. Name the island and the governor.

The island: Martinique?

>12. What wrong turn lead to a war?

Archduke Francis Ferdinand's car took one in Sarajevo in 1914, giving
Gavrilo Princip the opportunity to assassinate him and leading to World
War I.

>16. What British Commander (later famous as an author), advised
> William Donovan on the establishment of the OSS?

Ian Fleming.

Robert Israel israel@math.ubc.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel
University of British Columbia Vancouver, BC, Canada
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 5:00:25 AM

Jim Ward wrote:

>These questions were suggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
>by Rick Beyer.

>6. The U.S. Civil War started in this man's backyard and ended in his
> front parlor. Name him.

Wilmer McLean, who moved from Manassas to Appomattox.

>15. In a misguided move to boost the economy, a holiday was moved
> up a week by FDR. Name it (he moved it back the next year).

Thanksgiving (and wasn't there a "Democrats Thanksgiving" and a
"Republicans Thanksgiving" one year?). But didn't it last three
years?

>18. When a Wham-O founder visited a this campus, he noticed the students
> playing with tins. Name the campus and what was in the tins.

Inside were the words "Frisbie's Pies", but there is some question as
to which university (if any) was visited.

-- Don
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 8:44:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Jim Ward:
> > These questions were suggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
> > by Rick Beyer.

> > 7. What were diggers of the 1912 New York subway surprised to find?

Marc Dashevsky:
> existing tunnels?

The answer wanted is the tunnel for Alfred Beach's demonstration
pneumatic subway line. However, this is a myth. The excavation did
break into Beach's old tunnel, but that was no surprise; its location
was well known.

See my article <http://www.davros.org/rail/atmospheric.html&gt; for more
on the "might-have-been" technology that this tunnel belonged to.
However, my article itself repeats a myth -- propagated by Beach
himself, it turns out -- about the construction of his line; for the
true story with large amounts of detail and context, see Joe Brennan's
pages under <http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beach/&gt;.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "These days, it seems even PCs have to be PC."
msb@vex.net | -- Michael Quinion

October 27, 2004 10:31:22 AM

In rec.games.trivia Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> wrote:

:> 7. What were diggers of the 1912 New York subway surprised to find?
:
: The diggers of the 1908 NY subway?
: Yankees tickets?
: El Dorado, the legendary city of gold!

Actually, it was a cult of people worshipping a cobalt bomb.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"French bread makes very good skis"
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 11:52:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <clnfbq$c0c$5@news.iucc.ac.il>,
schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> wrote:
>
> :> 7. What were diggers of the 1912 New York subway surprised to find?
> :
> : The diggers of the 1908 NY subway?
> : Yankees tickets?
> : El Dorado, the legendary city of gold!
>
> Actually, it was a cult of people worshipping a cobalt bomb.

Was that from a comic book? If so, which one?

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:19:35 PM

"Marc Dashevsky" wrote:
> > 14. What trial was hatched as a PR ploy by the town fathers?
> Scopes trial?

More likely, the Salem witch trials.

Bill Smythe
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:01:18 PM

Harold Buck <no_one_knows@comcast.net> writes:

> In article <clnfbq$c0c$5@news.iucc.ac.il>,
> schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) wrote:
> > Actually, it was a cult of people worshipping a cobalt bomb.
>

> Was that from a comic book? If so, which one?

Movie, although it might have been a comic book too.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0065462/
--
Gareth Owen
Conversational Slumming (n): The self-conscious enjoyment of a conversation

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Don Del Grande wrote:
>> Jim Ward wrote:
>>

>>> These questions were suggested by "The Greatest Stories
>>> Never Told" by Rick Beyer.
>>

>>> 6. The U.S. Civil War started in this man's backyard and
>>> ended in his front parlor. Name him.
>>

>> Wilmer McLean, who moved from Manassas to Appomattox.
>
> The town in which Lee surrendered was Appomattox Courthouse,
> not Appomattox. Appomattox was down the road a bit.

The town of Appomattox, Va has had seven other names during its
history and at one point was moved a couple miles away from its
original location. One of those previous names was Appomattox
Court House. (Court House was frequently a part of the names of
county seats, although most have since dropped it. But there's
still at least one around.) The other six former names of
Appomattox are Apamatuck, Appomattox Depot, Appomattox Station,
Apumetec, Nebraska, and West Appomattox.

--
Dan Tilque
Anonymous

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>

>>Don Del Grande wrote:

>>>Wilmer McLean, who moved from Manassas to Appomattox.
>>
>>The town in which Lee surrendered was Appomattox Courthouse,
>>not Appomattox. Appomattox was down the road a bit.
>

> The town of Appomattox, Va has had seven other names during its
> history and at one point was moved a couple miles away from its
> original location. One of those previous names was Appomattox
> Court House. (Court House was frequently a part of the names of
> county seats, although most have since dropped it. But there's
> still at least one around.) The other six former names of
> Appomattox are Apamatuck, Appomattox Depot, Appomattox Station,
> Apumetec, Nebraska, and West Appomattox.
>
> --
> Dan Tilque

Nebraska?!? Really? Place names are indeed weird...

Dave
October 29, 2004 5:36:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

>Court House was frequently a part of the names of
>county seats, although most have since dropped it. But there's
>still at least one around.

There's a Cape May Court House, NJ. Is that the one you're referring
to?

--
Greg
phobos78-marslink-net

Greg wrote:

>> Court House was frequently a part of the names of
>> county seats, although most have since dropped it. But there's
>> still at least one around.
>
> There's a Cape May Court House, NJ. Is that the one you're
> referring to?

No, the one I was thinking of was Washington Court House, OH. I
guess there's at least two, then.

--
Dan Tilque
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.puzzles.]
On 26 Oct 2004 21:27:15 GMT, Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote:
> These questions were suggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
> by Rick Beyer.
>
> 8. A Presidential candidate was called Mrs. Satan for her free
> love platform. Name her and her party.

Victoria Woodhull?

--
------------------------
Mark Jeffrey Tilford

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 04:44:55 -0000, msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>The answer wanted is the tunnel for Alfred Beach's demonstration
>pneumatic subway line. However, this is a myth. The excavation did
>break into Beach's old tunnel, but that was no surprise; its location
>was well known.

Do you know if the pictures in the Subway sandwich shops are of
Beach's line?
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 10:42:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:08:54 GMT, Marc Dashevsky
<usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote:

>> 14. What trial was hatched as a PR ploy by the town fathers?
>
>Scopes trial?

Tennesse passed a law banning the teaching of evolution, the
ACLU put out newspaper ads looking for a test case, the Dayton, TN
town fathers met in a drugstore, came up with the trial idea, asked
Scopes for his permission, handed him a warrant, and then Scopes went
and played tennis.

>> 15. In a misguided move to boost the economy, a holiday was moved
>> up a week by FDR. Name it (he moved it back the next year).
>
>Thanksgiving

Retailers lobbied FDR to have a longer Christmas buying season, nobody
liked the idea, Congress eventually cast the date in stone.

>> 17. What guerilla leader was once a busboy in the Parker Hotel in Boston?
>
>Ho Chi Minh

According to the book, US paratroopers saved Ho's life in 1945 when he
was fighting against the Japanese.

>> 18. When a Wham-O founder visited a this campus, he noticed the students
>> playing with tins. Name the campus and what was in the tins.
>
>pies?

They tossed Frisbie Pie Company tins at Yale.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 10:53:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:32:24 -0700, "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com>
wrote:

>> 3. The siege of what European city gave birth to the croissant?
>
>Vienna

The Turks were besieging the city in 1683, the croissant, which looks
like the cresecent moon on the Turkish flag, celebrated the Viennese
victory.

>> 10. Teddy Roosevelt convened a meeting at the White House to
>> discuss the rising brutality of a popular event. Name the
>> event.
>
>Football

Two of the radical ideas proposed were to disallow holding and allow
the forward pass.

>> 11. In 1908 a sporting goods millionaire spun a story that an
>> all-American hero invented baseball. Name the millionaire
>> and the Civil War hero.
>
>The hero was Abner Doubleday. Don't know the millionaire.

A .G. Spalding - "It certainly appeals to an American's pride to have
the great national game of baseball created and named by a major
general in the United States Army."

>> 12. What wrong turn lead to a war?
>
>The one that Archduke Ferdinand's driver took in Sarajevo

The Archduke was taking an aide injured by a bomb thrower to a
hospital, but his driver was unfamiliar with the route.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 11:05:18 AM

On 26 Oct 2004 23:09:53 GMT, israel@math.ubc.ca (Robert Israel) wrote:

>>1. An explorer, on seeing what was to later become Canada,
>> decided not to land. He told his story to another explorer,
>> sold him his ship, who landed. Name the two explorers.
>
>Bjarni Herjolfsson and Leif Eriksson.

The Flateyjarbok, the Norse saga that describes Bjarni's journey, says
"Many thought he lacked curiosity, and for this reason he was somewhat
slandered."

>>4. Describe how Chappe's telegraph worked.
>
>Waving mechanical arms on hilltops. See description in "The Count
>of Monte Cristo".

Messages traveled at 100 miles per hour. Angry mobs twice destroyed
the equipment because the suspected it was being used to communicate
with jailed royalty. I wonder if any of his towers are still on
hilltops?

>>9. A governor of an island was afraid that a volcano panic would keep
>> people from an election in which his party had an interest. So he
>> instructed the editor of the local paper to downplay the story.
>> Bad move. Name the island and the governor.
>
>The island: Martinique?

The Governor was Louis Mouttet. For this reason, I'm not voting
Progressive in the tommorrow's election!

>>16. What British Commander (later famous as an author), advised
>> William Donovan on the establishment of the OSS?
>
>Ian Fleming.

Yes.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 11:09:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 01:00:25 GMT, Don Del Grande
<del_grande_news@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>6. The U.S. Civil War started in this man's backyard and ended in his
>> front parlor. Name him.
>
>Wilmer McLean, who moved from Manassas to Appomattox.

After Lee's surrender, souvenier hunters took all his furniture,
tossing money on the floor.

>>18. When a Wham-O founder visited a this campus, he noticed the students
>> playing with tins. Name the campus and what was in the tins.
>
>Inside were the words "Frisbie's Pies", but there is some question as
>to which university (if any) was visited.

The book says Yale. I wonder if George W. ever tossed one?
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 11:17:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

The ones not guessed:

>2. The first words a friendly Indian greeted an English ship
> was a request for something that the ship was running out of.
> Name the Indian, the ship, and the something.

The first words of Samoset to the Mayflower:

"Welcome, Englishman, I am Samoset. Do you have any beer?"

Since then Englishmen and beer have been twinned in the popular
imagination.

>5. What hapless inventor of the safety pin sold away the patent
> rights for $100?

The hapless inventor was Walter Hunt. He also invented the first
sewing machine in the U.S. but never filed a patent.

>13. What murderer was encouraged to build guns while serving time?
> Name one of the guns he designed.

"Carbine" (David Marshall) Williams, a moonshiner who shot a sheriff's
deputy, designed the M1 while in prison.
!