Start up failure

March 16, 2005 7:17:08 AM

I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
need to reinstall to factory settings.
I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
\windows\system32\config\system'

Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!

I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.

I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.

If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
back?

More about : start failure

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 4:21:47 AM

Try these steps
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

Regards
Mark Dormer

"Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
> need to reinstall to factory settings.
> I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
> 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
> \windows\system32\config\system'
>
> Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
> hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
>
> I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
>
> I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
>
> If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
> back?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 4:21:48 AM

Thanks for replying.
It's says to not use this method if you have an OEM installed operating
system. But i tried it anyway and my hard drive isn't recognised by recovery
console. I have a Maxtor 6 Y160M0 SCSI Drive.

"Mark Dormer" wrote:

> Try these steps
>
> Regards
> Mark Dormer
>

> "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
> > need to reinstall to factory settings.
> > I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
> > 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
> > \windows\system32\config\system'
> >
> > Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
> > hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
> >
> > I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
> >
> > I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
> >
> > If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
> > back?

March 17, 2005 5:51:03 PM

Is it possible to connect a laptop to my pc and access the hard drive?

"Smiffie72" wrote:

> I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
> need to reinstall to factory settings.
> I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
> 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
> \windows\system32\config\system'
>
> Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
> hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
>
> I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
>
> I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
>
> If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
> back?
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 7:51:02 AM

So I don't lose data on the C drve, I'm going to install a second drive and
want to install windows on that. How do I configure Bios so XP will load from
the new drive. Once I have the pc running, Is it possble to fix the prblem
file on the original hard drive to get the original windows up and running.
Is there a website that has instructions I could follow.

"Smiffie72" wrote:

> I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
> need to reinstall to factory settings.
> I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
> 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
> \windows\system32\config\system'
>
> Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
> hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
>
> I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
>
> I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
>
> If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
> back?
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:06:53 AM

OEM disks are not often able to change much. (Like to do dual boots, etc.) You would probably have to use a regular MS setup CD.

Most people with OEM system have to do backups to save data.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:415C0195-4054-4FFC-A332-58CE0A927A24@microsoft.com...
> So I don't lose data on the C drve, I'm going to install a second drive and
> want to install windows on that. How do I configure Bios so XP will load from
> the new drive. Once I have the pc running, Is it possble to fix the prblem
> file on the original hard drive to get the original windows up and running.
> Is there a website that has instructions I could follow.
>
> "Smiffie72" wrote:
>
>> I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
>> need to reinstall to factory settings.
>> I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
>> 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
>> \windows\system32\config\system'
>>
>> Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
>> hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
>>
>> I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
>>
>> I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
>>
>> If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
>> back?
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:06:54 AM

I also have an Xp cd from my laptop. I plan to use that to install windows on
the new drive, then when I get the old OS working, uninstall off the new
drive. But how do I get the old OS working?

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> OEM disks are not often able to change much. (Like to do dual boots, etc.) You would probably have to use a regular MS setup CD.
>
> Most people with OEM system have to do backups to save data.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:415C0195-4054-4FFC-A332-58CE0A927A24@microsoft.com...
> > So I don't lose data on the C drve, I'm going to install a second drive and
> > want to install windows on that. How do I configure Bios so XP will load from
> > the new drive. Once I have the pc running, Is it possble to fix the prblem
> > file on the original hard drive to get the original windows up and running.
> > Is there a website that has instructions I could follow.
> >
> > "Smiffie72" wrote:
> >
> >> I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
> >> need to reinstall to factory settings.
> >> I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
> >> 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
> >> \windows\system32\config\system'
> >>
> >> Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
> >> hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
> >>
> >> I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
> >>
> >> I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
> >>
> >> If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
> >> back?

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:43:40 AM

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry -config-system: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q307545

--

"Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F73D3CB4-A610-452A-B657-117FB8A46903@microsoft.com...
>I also have an Xp cd from my laptop. I plan to use that to install windows on
> the new drive, then when I get the old OS working, uninstall off the new
> drive. But how do I get the old OS working?
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> OEM disks are not often able to change much. (Like to do dual boots, etc.) You would probably have to use a regular MS setup CD.
>>
>> Most people with OEM system have to do backups to save data.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> ..
>> "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:415C0195-4054-4FFC-A332-58CE0A927A24@microsoft.com...
>> > So I don't lose data on the C drve, I'm going to install a second drive and
>> > want to install windows on that. How do I configure Bios so XP will load from
>> > the new drive. Once I have the pc running, Is it possble to fix the prblem
>> > file on the original hard drive to get the original windows up and running.
>> > Is there a website that has instructions I could follow.

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:43:41 AM

I tried this, but I can't exactly remember what happened, but when you tap r
to recover the computer goe trough a process of copying or reading
drivers/files. But basically when it finishes, it says it can't find my hard
drive. I'm not sure if it's because I have a scsi hard drive.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry -config-system: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q307545
>

> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F73D3CB4-A610-452A-B657-117FB8A46903@microsoft.com...
> >I also have an Xp cd from my laptop. I plan to use that to install windows on
> > the new drive, then when I get the old OS working, uninstall off the new
> > drive. But how do I get the old OS working?
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> OEM disks are not often able to change much. (Like to do dual boots, etc.) You would probably have to use a regular MS setup CD.
> >>
> >> Most people with OEM system have to do backups to save data.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> >> ..

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 2:55:31 PM

Is the SCSI driver loading?
During a repair install...
Try doing a boot and pressing F6, it will prompt you for a driver, load it
from floppy and it should be able to access the drive.

Here is a repair install guide

!