Start up failure

I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
need to reinstall to factory settings.
I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
\windows\system32\config\system'

Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!

I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.

I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.

If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
back?
9 answers Last reply
More about start failure

    Try these steps
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
    > need to reinstall to factory settings.
    > I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
    > 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
    > \windows\system32\config\system'
    >
    > Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
    > hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
    >
    > I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
    >
    > I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
    >
    > If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
    > back?

    Thanks for replying.
    It's says to not use this method if you have an OEM installed operating
    system. But i tried it anyway and my hard drive isn't recognised by recovery
    console. I have a Maxtor 6 Y160M0 SCSI Drive.

    "Mark Dormer" wrote:

    > Try these steps
    >
    > Regards
    > Mark Dormer
    >

    > "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
    > > need to reinstall to factory settings.
    > > I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
    > > 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
    > > \windows\system32\config\system'
    > >
    > > Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
    > > hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
    > >
    > > I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
    > >
    > > I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
    > >
    > > If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
    > > back?

    Is it possible to connect a laptop to my pc and access the hard drive?

    "Smiffie72" wrote:

    > I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
    > need to reinstall to factory settings.
    > I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
    > 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
    > \windows\system32\config\system'
    >
    > Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
    > hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
    >
    > I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
    >
    > I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
    >
    > If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
    > back?

    So I don't lose data on the C drve, I'm going to install a second drive and
    want to install windows on that. How do I configure Bios so XP will load from
    the new drive. Once I have the pc running, Is it possble to fix the prblem
    file on the original hard drive to get the original windows up and running.
    Is there a website that has instructions I could follow.

    "Smiffie72" wrote:

    > I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
    > need to reinstall to factory settings.
    > I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
    > 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
    > \windows\system32\config\system'
    >
    > Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
    > hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
    >
    > I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
    >
    > I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
    >
    > If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
    > back?

    OEM disks are not often able to change much. (Like to do dual boots, etc.) You would probably have to use a regular MS setup CD.

    Most people with OEM system have to do backups to save data.

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:415C0195-4054-4FFC-A332-58CE0A927A24@microsoft.com...
    > So I don't lose data on the C drve, I'm going to install a second drive and
    > want to install windows on that. How do I configure Bios so XP will load from
    > the new drive. Once I have the pc running, Is it possble to fix the prblem
    > file on the original hard drive to get the original windows up and running.
    > Is there a website that has instructions I could follow.
    >
    > "Smiffie72" wrote:
    >
    >> I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me I
    >> need to reinstall to factory settings.
    >> I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
    >> 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
    >> \windows\system32\config\system'
    >>
    >> Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data on
    >> hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
    >>
    >> I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
    >>
    >> I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
    >>
    >> If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting files
    >> back?

    I also have an Xp cd from my laptop. I plan to use that to install windows on
    the new drive, then when I get the old OS working, uninstall off the new
    drive. But how do I get the old OS working?

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry -config-system: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q307545

    --

    "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F73D3CB4-A610-452A-B657-117FB8A46903@microsoft.com...
    >I also have an Xp cd from my laptop. I plan to use that to install windows on
    > the new drive, then when I get the old OS working, uninstall off the new
    > drive. But how do I get the old OS working?
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> OEM disks are not often able to change much. (Like to do dual boots, etc.) You would probably have to use a regular MS setup CD.
    >>
    >> Most people with OEM system have to do backups to save data.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >> ..
    >> "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:415C0195-4054-4FFC-A332-58CE0A927A24@microsoft.com...
    >> > So I don't lose data on the C drve, I'm going to install a second drive and
    >> > want to install windows on that. How do I configure Bios so XP will load from
    >> > the new drive. Once I have the pc running, Is it possble to fix the prblem
    >> > file on the original hard drive to get the original windows up and running.
    >> > Is there a website that has instructions I could follow.

    I tried this, but I can't exactly remember what happened, but when you tap r
    to recover the computer goe trough a process of copying or reading
    drivers/files. But basically when it finishes, it says it can't find my hard
    drive. I'm not sure if it's because I have a scsi hard drive.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry -config-system: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q307545
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F73D3CB4-A610-452A-B657-117FB8A46903@microsoft.com...
    > >I also have an Xp cd from my laptop. I plan to use that to install windows on
    > > the new drive, then when I get the old OS working, uninstall off the new
    > > drive. But how do I get the old OS working?
    > >
    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> OEM disks are not often able to change much. (Like to do dual boots, etc.) You would probably have to use a regular MS setup CD.
    > >>
    > >> Most people with OEM system have to do backups to save data.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    > >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    > >> ..

    Is the SCSI driver loading?
    During a repair install...
    Try doing a boot and pressing F6, it will prompt you for a driver, load it
    from floppy and it should be able to access the drive.

    Here is a repair install guide

    > Thanks for replying.
    > It's says to not use this method if you have an OEM installed operating
    > system. But i tried it anyway and my hard drive isn't recognised by
    > recovery
    > console. I have a Maxtor 6 Y160M0 SCSI Drive.
    >
    > "Mark Dormer" wrote:
    >
    >> Try these steps
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Mark Dormer
    >>

    >> "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I hope someone can help as my computer manufacturer- Mesh - have told me
    >> > need to reinstall to factory settings.
    >> > I'm getting this error message when trying to start Windows
    >> > 'Window could not start....following file missing or corruptted
    >> > \windows\system32\config\system'
    >> >
    >> > Is there any way of restoreing this file as I don't want to lose data
    >> > on
    >> > hard dive that 'Stupid Me' forgot to back up!!!!
    >> >
    >> > I have a Mesh recovery cd, I also have a full XP pro cd from my laptop.
    >> >
    >> > I also can't start safe mode to do a system restore.
    >> >
    >> > If I have to restore to factory settings, is there anyway of getting
    >> > files
    >> > back?

Factory Restore Windows XP