Windows Explorer related problems.

Am having several problems related to Windows Explorer:
Cannot click the " File " button on any of the the "Documents" folders
without causing an Explorer Error.
Cannot right click in any of the " Documents " Folders
Cannot right click the Desktop
Cannot Create any " New Folders" in any Folders.
I have read that these problems may be related to A Desktop update that SP2
does,and that a Registry Key may be damaged or corupted or perhaps even
missing.Whatever the case, I am hoping to get someone to help me with these
problems.Your help would surely be of great assistants,PLEASE ... Thank You
Paul
4 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer related problems

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:909C079A-A04B-4F05-859A-94EE73E8C990@microsoft.com...
    > Am having several problems related to Windows Explorer:
    > Cannot click the " File " button on any of the the "Documents" folders
    > without causing an Explorer Error.
    > Cannot right click in any of the " Documents " Folders
    > Cannot right click the Desktop
    > Cannot Create any " New Folders" in any Folders.
    > I have read that these problems may be related to A Desktop update that SP2
    > does,and that a Registry Key may be damaged or corupted or perhaps even
    > missing.Whatever the case, I am hoping to get someone to help me with these
    > problems.Your help would surely be of great assistants,PLEASE ... Thank You
    > Paul

    I don't know the solution, however have you tried using "My Computer" to
    explore files and create folders etc instead of Windows Explorer? Also can
    you use the file management abilities that exist within a "Save As" dialogue
    box (right clicking files / creating new folders etc)?

    Jim

    > Am having several problems related to Windows Explorer:
    > Cannot click the " File " button on any of the the "Documents" folders
    > without causing an Explorer Error.
    > Cannot right click in any of the " Documents " Folders
    > Cannot right click the Desktop
    > Cannot Create any " New Folders" in any Folders.
    > I have read that these problems may be related to A Desktop update that
    SP2
    > does,and that a Registry Key may be damaged or corupted or perhaps even
    > missing.Whatever the case, I am hoping to get someone to help me with
    these
    > problems.Your help would surely be of great assistants,PLEASE ... Thank
    You
    > Paul

    Thank You for Your time Jim!...I think I should have said..these are problems
    related to Explorer.exe as that what the errors are generated.Any right
    clicking on anything other than exsisting files causes the error also.Thank
    You paul

    "Jim Robin" wrote:

    > I don't know the solution, however have you tried using "My Computer" to
    > explore files and create folders etc instead of Windows Explorer? Also can
    > you use the file management abilities that exist within a "Save As" dialogue
    > box (right clicking files / creating new folders etc)?
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Am having several problems related to Windows Explorer:
    > > Cannot click the " File " button on any of the the "Documents" folders
    > > without causing an Explorer Error.
    > > Cannot right click in any of the " Documents " Folders
    > > Cannot right click the Desktop
    > > Cannot Create any " New Folders" in any Folders.
    > > I have read that these problems may be related to A Desktop update that
    > SP2
    > > does,and that a Registry Key may be damaged or corupted or perhaps even
    > > missing.Whatever the case, I am hoping to get someone to help me with
    > these
    > > problems.Your help would surely be of great assistants,PLEASE ... Thank
    > You
    > > Paul

    This is in fact on the right track on my problem (Ithink) but I thinkit's
    that the Registry key is in fact missing all together.
    I read else where that this here is the key:

    =+=+=+=+=+

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New]
    @="{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}"

    =+=+=+=+=+

    I can not find this and I AM VERY UNSURE about writing to the registry..I've
    never done it....am hoping someone can share a copyof this key for me to
    merge it to my registry ..I've done that before with some keys I needed for
    making Stationery for Outlook.
    I did download the ShelEx viewer..but I really not sure how this can help
    me as I don't find this key and am unsure how to use it.
    Thank You for Your time, any chance You have this key to shre with me to
    merge?
    Paul

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:909C079A-A04B-4F05-859A-94EE73E8C990@microsoft.com...
    > > Am having several problems related to Windows Explorer:
    > > Cannot click the " File " button on any of the the "Documents" folders
    > > without causing an Explorer Error.
    > > Cannot right click in any of the " Documents " Folders
    > > Cannot right click the Desktop
    > > Cannot Create any " New Folders" in any Folders.
    > > I have read that these problems may be related to A Desktop update that SP2
    > > does,and that a Registry Key may be damaged or corupted or perhaps even
    > > missing.Whatever the case, I am hoping to get someone to help me with these
    > > problems.Your help would surely be of great assistants,PLEASE ... Thank You
    > > Paul

Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows XP