"Hurricane Fence"

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

I am reading an old novel and it mentions hurricane fencing. A quick Google
seems to indicate that it's either another name for chain-link fence, or
that it's the kind of wood & wire fence put up on eastern sand dunes to
prevent erosion,

Anyone (maybe from the Gulf Coast) have a definitive answer? The online
dictionaries and Britannica are no help.

Thanks,
Everett

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,alt.usage.english (More info?)

"Everett" <everettharper_spamnot_@charter.net> wrote in message
> I am reading an old novel and it mentions hurricane fencing. A quick
Google
> seems to indicate that it's either another name for chain-link fence, or
> that it's the kind of wood & wire fence put up on eastern sand dunes to
> prevent erosion,
>
> Anyone (maybe from the Gulf Coast) have a definitive answer? The online
> dictionaries and Britannica are no help.
>
> Thanks,
> Everett

clarsen.net has lots of photos of chainlink fencing described as "hurricane
fence".

Adrian

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,alt.usage.english (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:31:33 GMT, "Adrian Bailey" <dadge@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Everett" <everettharper_spamnot_@charter.net> wrote in message
>> I am reading an old novel and it mentions hurricane fencing. A quick
>Google
>> seems to indicate that it's either another name for chain-link fence, or
>> that it's the kind of wood & wire fence put up on eastern sand dunes to
>> prevent erosion,
>>
>> Anyone (maybe from the Gulf Coast) have a definitive answer? The online
>> dictionaries and Britannica are no help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Everett
>
>clarsen.net has lots of photos of chainlink fencing described as "hurricane
>fence".

I live in Florida and have just been through three hurricanes. I
would not consider a chain link fence to be a hurricane fence. A
chain link fence is just a fence. A chain link fence wouldn't do what
a hurricane fence is supposed to do because there is not enough
surface area.

A hurricane fence is a temporary thing put up in anticipation of a
hurricane or strong winds. Some are wooden slats that are held
together by wires. The fencing is rolled up between uses and stored.
Most of the hurricane fence now, though, is that orange plastic with a
pattern of openings. It's easier to store and cheaper to buy.

The primary purpose of a hurricane fence is to keep sand from being
blown away or onto something. You'll see them set up perpendicular to
the shore along the beach at intervals of a hundred yards or so, or
between property lines, to keep the sand more or less contained in one
area.

Hurricane fence is used year-round on construction projects.
Contractors are required to erect it around a site that's being
cleared so the sand doesn't blow into the nearby areas or onto the
roads. Even though it's not hurricane season, the fence is required
because there is still wind.

The soil in all of Florida is mostly sand. There's enough decayed
vegetation in some areas so the sand looks like dirt, but rain washes
that away in areas where there is no growth or the growth has been
bulldozed under. .

Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:31:33 GMT, "Adrian Bailey" <dadge@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Everett" <everettharper_spamnot_@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I am reading an old novel and it mentions hurricane fencing. A quick
>>
>>Google
>>
>>>seems to indicate that it's either another name for chain-link fence, or
>>>that it's the kind of wood & wire fence put up on eastern sand dunes to
>>>prevent erosion,
>>>
>>>Anyone (maybe from the Gulf Coast) have a definitive answer? The online
>>>dictionaries and Britannica are no help.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Everett
>>
>>clarsen.net has lots of photos of chainlink fencing described as "hurricane
>>fence".
>

> I live in Florida and have just been through three hurricanes. I
> would not consider a chain link fence to be a hurricane fence. A
> chain link fence is just a fence. A chain link fence wouldn't do what
> a hurricane fence is supposed to do because there is not enough
> surface area.
>
> A hurricane fence is a temporary thing put up in anticipation of a
> hurricane or strong winds. Some are wooden slats that are held
> together by wires. The fencing is rolled up between uses and stored.
> Most of the hurricane fence now, though, is that orange plastic with a
> pattern of openings. It's easier to store and cheaper to buy.
>
> The primary purpose of a hurricane fence is to keep sand from being
> blown away or onto something. You'll see them set up perpendicular to
> the shore along the beach at intervals of a hundred yards or so, or
> between property lines, to keep the sand more or less contained in one
> area.
>
> Hurricane fence is used year-round on construction projects.
> Contractors are required to erect it around a site that's being
> cleared so the sand doesn't blow into the nearby areas or onto the
> roads. Even though it's not hurricane season, the fence is required
> because there is still wind.
>
> The soil in all of Florida is mostly sand. There's enough decayed
> vegetation in some areas so the sand looks like dirt, but rain washes
> that away in areas where there is no growth or the growth has been
> bulldozed under. .

How does a fence with holes in it keep sand from being blown away? I
thought those orange plastic fences were used to close off construction
sites to keep people from wandering in.

--
john

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,alt.usage.english (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:19:02 -0600, John O'Flaherty
<quiasmox@yahoo.com> wrote:

>How does a fence with holes in it keep sand from being blown away? I
>thought those orange plastic fences were used to close off construction
>sites to keep people from wandering in.

The fence is about 50% solid and 50% open. It breaks the wind force.
It's not there to block the sand. It does block flying debris, but
only debris that flies at an altitude of three feet or less. The
slat-and-wire type of fences do block sand, and are commonly used on
the beaches, but set up perpendicular to the beach. Normal heavy
winds come from the east (on the East Coast), so the fences are set on
a East/West line. They don't get the full force of the wind, but do
stop the sand that swirls. They may be set up parallel with the beach
front, but usually only in areas higher than the tide line.

Solid fences blow away during hurricanes. It was a common sight in my
neighborhood after any of the last three hurricanes to see 5' x 6'
wooden fence panels in someone's yard several hundred yards from where
they were. I lost most of the screen panels on one side of my pool
enclosure because screens have too much wind resistance.

As far as the construction sites, I don't know where you are or what
the rules are there. Here, contractors are required to erect one if
earthwork is being done.

Here's a photo of the slat-and-wire type: http://tinyurl.com/4aogg

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,alt.usage.english (More info?)

Adrian Bailey <dadge@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Everett" <everettharper_spamnot_@charter.net> wrote in message
> > I am reading an old novel and it mentions hurricane fencing. A quick
> Google
> > seems to indicate that it's either another name for chain-link fence, or
> > that it's the kind of wood & wire fence put up on eastern sand dunes to
> > prevent erosion,
> >
> > Anyone (maybe from the Gulf Coast) have a definitive answer? The online
> > dictionaries and Britannica are no help.
>
> clarsen.net has lots of photos of chainlink fencing described as "hurricane
> fence".

I was pretty sure that "Cyclone" is a trademark for a chain-link fence
company -- and it is; the TESS database says it's been in use since
1896, and is still current. So on that basis, I thought that maybe
"Hurricane" was someone else's brand of fence, and TESS agrees, there,
too. No actual cyclones or hurricanes are involved -- they're just
names.

The TESS database shows that "Hurricane" for fencing was used since
1947, registed in 1978, and cancelled in 1986.

HURRICANE FENCE
Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 006. US 013. G &
S: STEEL FENCING AND THEIR COMPONENT PARTS. FIRST
USE: 19460601. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19471001
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS,
AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 011506 020101 020132 040125
260328 261707
Serial Number 73161307
Filing Date March 7, 1978
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Registration Number 1126326
Registration Date October 30, 1979
Owner (REGISTRANT) HURRICANE STEEL INDUSTRIES CO.
CORPORATION TEXAS 9600 OLD KATY RD. HOUSTON TEXAS
77024
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Cancellation Date April 11, 1986

Apparently Hurricane Steel has had financial troubles:

Hurricane Steel owes half million in back taxes Feb
27, 2004
"We don't have the authority (to sell the property).
We have no interest other than a tax lien; we don't
have any ownership," says Nelson. Hurricane Steel
defaulted on its tax bill in 1989 after shutting
down the plant that fabricated steel reinforcing bar
and rod. (Sealy News, TX)

--
Best -- Donna Richoux

Tony Cooper <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:19:02 -0600, John O'Flaherty
> <quiasmox@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >How does a fence with holes in it keep sand from being blown away? I
> >thought those orange plastic fences were used to close off construction
> >sites to keep people from wandering in.
>
> The fence is about 50% solid and 50% open. It breaks the wind force.
> It's not there to block the sand. It does block flying debris, but
> only debris that flies at an altitude of three feet or less. The
> slat-and-wire type of fences do block sand, and are commonly used on
> the beaches, but set up perpendicular to the beach. Normal heavy
> winds come from the east (on the East Coast), so the fences are set on
> a East/West line. They don't get the full force of the wind, but do
> stop the sand that swirls. They may be set up parallel with the beach
> front, but usually only in areas higher than the tide line.
>
> Solid fences blow away during hurricanes. It was a common sight in my
> neighborhood after any of the last three hurricanes to see 5' x 6'
> wooden fence panels in someone's yard several hundred yards from where
> they were. I lost most of the screen panels on one side of my pool
> enclosure because screens have too much wind resistance.
>
> As far as the construction sites, I don't know where you are or what
> the rules are there. Here, contractors are required to erect one if
> earthwork is being done.
>
> Here's a photo of the slat-and-wire type: http://tinyurl.com/4aogg

On Massachusetts beaches (such as Cape Cod), that would be called a
"snow fence." Loved by artists. Example:
http://www.arts-cape.com/laster/snowfence.html

--
Best -- Donna Richoux

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,alt.usage.english (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:19:57 +0100, trio@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux)
wrote:

>Tony Cooper <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:19:02 -0600, John O'Flaherty
>> <quiasmox@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> >How does a fence with holes in it keep sand from being blown away? I
>> >thought those orange plastic fences were used to close off construction
>> >sites to keep people from wandering in.
>>
>> The fence is about 50% solid and 50% open. It breaks the wind force.
>> It's not there to block the sand. It does block flying debris, but
>> only debris that flies at an altitude of three feet or less. The
>> slat-and-wire type of fences do block sand, and are commonly used on
>> the beaches, but set up perpendicular to the beach. Normal heavy
>> winds come from the east (on the East Coast), so the fences are set on
>> a East/West line. They don't get the full force of the wind, but do
>> stop the sand that swirls. They may be set up parallel with the beach
>> front, but usually only in areas higher than the tide line.
>>
>> Solid fences blow away during hurricanes. It was a common sight in my
>> neighborhood after any of the last three hurricanes to see 5' x 6'
>> wooden fence panels in someone's yard several hundred yards from where
>> they were. I lost most of the screen panels on one side of my pool
>> enclosure because screens have too much wind resistance.
>>
>> As far as the construction sites, I don't know where you are or what
>> the rules are there. Here, contractors are required to erect one if
>> earthwork is being done.
>>
>> Here's a photo of the slat-and-wire type: http://tinyurl.com/4aogg
>
>On Massachusetts beaches (such as Cape Cod), that would be called a
>"snow fence." Loved by artists. Example:
> http://www.arts-cape.com/laster/snowfence.html

I know. The chain link fence that the original poster referred to as
a "hurricane fence" is a fence buried in a couple of feet of snow in
the image.

The effect's the same: the fence breaks up the wind's force.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,alt.usage.english (More info?)

In message <d3nep0p8h5pcef5qva1nhnkd9nhpelnhs5@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper
<tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> writes
>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:19:02 -0600, John O'Flaherty
><quiasmox@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>How does a fence with holes in it keep sand from being blown away? I
>>thought those orange plastic fences were used to close off construction
>>sites to keep people from wandering in.
>
>The fence is about 50% solid and 50% open. It breaks the wind force.
>It's not there to block the sand. It does block flying debris, but
>only debris that flies at an altitude of three feet or less. The
>slat-and-wire type of fences do block sand, and are commonly used on
>the beaches, but set up perpendicular to the beach. Normal heavy
>winds come from the east (on the East Coast), so the fences are set on
>a East/West line. They don't get the full force of the wind, but do
>stop the sand that swirls. They may be set up parallel with the beach
>front, but usually only in areas higher than the tide line.

Sounds similar to many barn walls that I see over here. They have
vertical planks with a gap between each. The ratio of gap to plank
width is about 1:5. I was surprised to find that they keep out the wind
and even driving rain.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,alt.usage.english (More info?)

Tony Cooper:
>>> The fence is about 50% solid and 50% open. It breaks the wind force.
>>> It's not there to block the sand. It does block flying debris, but
>>> only debris that flies at an altitude of three feet or less. The
>>> slat-and-wire type of fences do block sand, and are commonly used on
>>> the beaches, but set up perpendicular to the beach.

Donna Richoux:
>> On Massachusetts beaches (such as Cape Cod), that would be called a
>> "snow fence." ...

Tony Cooper:
> I know. ... The effect's the same: the fence breaks up the wind's force.

It's a "snow fence" to me too, not surprisingly. And I when I hear the
phrase, I think of the kind with slats and wires first. I think the
way it works is specifically that where the wind hits part of the fence,
it slows down enough that some of the blowing snow falls to the ground.
This accumulates and starts a snowdrift, which is then more or less
self-perpetuating, with the fence just helping to keep it from moving.
And the point is that it forms near the fence rather than on the road
that it's protecting.

I guess this will work the same way with sand, although snow is probably
more likely to stick to the fence a little and reinforce its action that
way.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I don't have *any* minions any more."
msb@vex.net -- Clive Feather

M. J. Powell wrote:
> In message <d3nep0p8h5pcef5qva1nhnkd9nhpelnhs5@4ax.com>, Tony
Cooper
> <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> writes
>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:19:02 -0600, John O'Flaherty
>> <quiasmox@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> How does a fence with holes in it keep sand from being blown
away? I
>>> thought those orange plastic fences were used to close off
>>> construction sites to keep people from wandering in.
>>
>> The fence is about 50% solid and 50% open. It breaks the wind
force.
[...]
> Sounds similar to many barn walls that I see over here. They have
> vertical planks with a gap between each. The ratio of gap to plank
> width is about 1:5. I was surprised to find that they keep out the
> wind and even driving rain.

That's called "Yorkshire boarding". If you don't use it on your
cowshed, your beasts will turn into soft southern cows: can't have
that! It's very effective at keeping the rain out because you very
rarely get a perfectly constant wind direction (perpendicular to the
wall, at that) even in those ghastly places like Tegryn in Pembs
where it seems to rain sideways. I also suspect that a structure
causes turbulence which breaks up the precipitation's horizontality
(which is more psychological than physical, anyhow). Most often, the
first five feet or so of the wall will be block; after all that, one
sixth or seventh of what _does_ hit the boarded part won't hurt
anybody.

I can also testify to the rain-breaking properties of the black
agricultural version of the orange plastic stuff: it's terrific.

Mike.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,alt.usage.english (More info?)

In message <2vsacrF2od7ldU2@uni-berlin.de>, Mike Lyle
<mike_lyle_uk@REMOVETHISyahoo.co.uk> writes
>[...]
snip

>> Sounds similar to many barn walls that I see over here. They have
>> vertical planks with a gap between each. The ratio of gap to plank
>> width is about 1:5. I was surprised to find that they keep out the
>> wind and even driving rain.
>
>That's called "Yorkshire boarding". If you don't use it on your
>cowshed, your beasts will turn into soft southern cows: can't have
>that! It's very effective at keeping the rain out because you very
>rarely get a perfectly constant wind direction (perpendicular to the
>wall, at that) even in those ghastly places like Tegryn in Pembs
>where it seems to rain sideways. I also suspect that a structure
>causes turbulence which breaks up the precipitation's horizontality
>(which is more psychological than physical, anyhow). Most often, the
>first five feet or so of the wall will be block; after all that, one
>sixth or seventh of what _does_ hit the boarded part won't hurt
>anybody.
>
>I can also testify to the rain-breaking properties of the black
>agricultural version of the orange plastic stuff: it's terrific.

Thanks, Mike. I didn't know the name.

Mike