Offer Remote Assistance Error on Laptops

I have a number of Dell Latitude D600 laptops running Windows XP Pro with
both SP1 and SP2. I am unable to Offer Remote Assistance to any of the
laptops, I receive the error "Remote server machine does not exist or is
unavailable" as soon as I try to connect - there is no problem offering
remote assistance to desktops!

I have a group policy set up to enable Remote Assistance and the following
exceptions for SP2 firewall blocks:
%systemroot%\system32\sessmgr.exe
%systemroot%\pchealth\helptctr\binaries\helpsvc.exe
Port - TCP 135

I have searched Microsoft and other forums - is there something else that I
am missing?

Thanks in advance for any help!

forward port 3389 to the IP of the remote machine behind a firewall.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Jodie" <Jodie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43AFD709-3FBC-4C70-832E-BBC587EC9C4B@microsoft.com...
>I have a number of Dell Latitude D600 laptops running Windows XP Pro with
> both SP1 and SP2. I am unable to Offer Remote Assistance to any of the
> laptops, I receive the error "Remote server machine does not exist or is
> unavailable" as soon as I try to connect - there is no problem offering
> remote assistance to desktops!
>
> I have a group policy set up to enable Remote Assistance and the following
> exceptions for SP2 firewall blocks:
> %systemroot%\system32\sessmgr.exe
> %systemroot%\pchealth\helptctr\binaries\helpsvc.exe
> Port - TCP 135
>
> I have searched Microsoft and other forums - is there something else that I
> am missing?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!

Not sure I understand - machines on a local area network - no firewall in
between

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> forward port 3389 to the IP of the remote machine behind a firewall.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Jodie" <Jodie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43AFD709-3FBC-4C70-832E-BBC587EC9C4B@microsoft.com...
> >I have a number of Dell Latitude D600 laptops running Windows XP Pro with
> > both SP1 and SP2. I am unable to Offer Remote Assistance to any of the
> > laptops, I receive the error "Remote server machine does not exist or is
> > unavailable" as soon as I try to connect - there is no problem offering
> > remote assistance to desktops!
> >
> > I have a group policy set up to enable Remote Assistance and the following
> > exceptions for SP2 firewall blocks:
> > %systemroot%\system32\sessmgr.exe
> > %systemroot%\pchealth\helptctr\binaries\helpsvc.exe
> > Port - TCP 135
> >
> > I have searched Microsoft and other forums - is there something else that I
> > am missing?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help!

Forwarded port - still get the same error message "Remote server machine does
not exist or is unavailable"

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> forward port 3389 to the IP of the remote machine behind a firewall.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Jodie" <Jodie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43AFD709-3FBC-4C70-832E-BBC587EC9C4B@microsoft.com...
> >I have a number of Dell Latitude D600 laptops running Windows XP Pro with
> > both SP1 and SP2. I am unable to Offer Remote Assistance to any of the
> > laptops, I receive the error "Remote server machine does not exist or is
> > unavailable" as soon as I try to connect - there is no problem offering
> > remote assistance to desktops!
> >
> > I have a group policy set up to enable Remote Assistance and the following
> > exceptions for SP2 firewall blocks:
> > %systemroot%\system32\sessmgr.exe
> > %systemroot%\pchealth\helptctr\binaries\helpsvc.exe
> > Port - TCP 135
> >
> > I have searched Microsoft and other forums - is there something else that I
> > am missing?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help!

875357 - Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2:

Windows Firewall and Logs in Windows XP Service Pack 2: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

--

"Jodie" <Jodie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:237EA29B-0573-48CB-8C9C-32889F549188@microsoft.com...
> Forwarded port - still get the same error message "Remote server machine does
> not exist or is unavailable"
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> forward port 3389 to the IP of the remote machine behind a firewall.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> ..
>> "Jodie" <Jodie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43AFD709-3FBC-4C70-832E-BBC587EC9C4B@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a number of Dell Latitude D600 laptops running Windows XP Pro with
>> > both SP1 and SP2. I am unable to Offer Remote Assistance to any of the
>> > laptops, I receive the error "Remote server machine does not exist or is
>> > unavailable" as soon as I try to connect - there is no problem offering
>> > remote assistance to desktops!
>> >
>> > I have a group policy set up to enable Remote Assistance and the following
>> > exceptions for SP2 firewall blocks:
>> > %systemroot%\system32\sessmgr.exe
>> > %systemroot%\pchealth\helptctr\binaries\helpsvc.exe
>> > Port - TCP 135
>> >
>> > I have searched Microsoft and other forums - is there something else that I
>> > am missing?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any help!

I do not feel this is SP2 related - I still have a number of laptops that are
still SP1 that get the same error message and if I turn the firewall off on a
laptop with SP2 still the same thing.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> 875357 - Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
>
> Windows Firewall and Logs in Windows XP Service Pack 2: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Jodie" <Jodie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:237EA29B-0573-48CB-8C9C-32889F549188@microsoft.com...
> > Forwarded port - still get the same error message "Remote server machine does
> > not exist or is unavailable"
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> forward port 3389 to the IP of the remote machine behind a firewall.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> >> ..

c-admin-n

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Hello

You are not alone. I am a systems administrator for over 150 desktop & laptops and they are all Dell. I also setup a group policy that allows all IT & administrators to 'offer' remote assistance to anyone in the domain. When ever I get a new computer from dell (laptop D & E series or Optiplex/Precision workstation) I am unable to offer remote assistance. This seems to be some type of factory setting from Dell that is causing the problem.

The only way I have gotton around this is by doing a fresh/clean install of the OS on the computer. When I do this, all of the sudden, I am able to offer remote assistance no problem.

Dell does not seem to have any readily available support for these type of software issues, so I have been thinking of putting together my own custom image, in order to avoid always re-installing the OS.

If you or anyone else figures out just what is blocking the remote assistance from a Dell factory install, please do spread the knowledge.

c-admin-n