Deleting Folder in My Computer

I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files Stored on This
Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was able to
delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder or even
rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is grey'ed out.
Please advise.

Bill
12 answers Last reply
More about deleting folder computer

    You do not double-click the folder, you rightclick the folder and then
    click Delete.

    "Bill Helbron" wrote:

    > I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files Stored on This
    > Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was able to
    > delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder or even
    > rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is grey'ed out.
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Bill

    Restart in Safe Mode (press F8 several times whem BIOS screen turns black) and try to delete it there.

    "Bill Helbron" <jw.helbron@verizon.net> escribió en el mensaje news:1hmg31teuvvjvjinagb9tpdnurbvp58739@4ax.com...
    > I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files Stored on This
    > Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was able to
    > delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder or even
    > rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is grey'ed out.
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Bill

    Hi Byte,

    Unfortunately, when I right-click on the folder, "Delete" is not an option in
    the drop-down window.

    Bill

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:31:04 -0800, "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >You do not double-click the folder, you rightclick the folder and then
    >click Delete.
    >
    >"Bill Helbron" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files Stored on This
    >> Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was able to
    >> delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder or even
    >> rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is grey'ed out.
    >> Please advise.
    >>
    >> Bill

    Bill

    What is the name of the file?

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Bill Helbron" <jw.helbron@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Byte,
    >
    > Unfortunately, when I right-click on the folder, "Delete" is not an
    > option in
    > the drop-down window.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:31:04 -0800, "Byte"
    > <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You do not double-click the folder, you rightclick the folder and then
    >>click Delete.
    >>
    >>"Bill Helbron" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files
    >>> Stored on This
    >>> Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was
    >>> able to
    >>> delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder
    >>> or even
    >>> rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is
    >>> grey'ed out.
    >>> Please advise.
    >>>
    >>> Bill

    Hi Gerry,

    It's not a file but an empty folder. The tech that set up my new computer
    apparently created another "User" folder to store some of my files from my old
    computer. I have since resolved an issue with opening these particular files and
    deleted the ones in this folder, leaving me with an empty folder, which is the
    one I wish to delete, or at worst case, rename. But I can't seem to find out how
    to do either.

    Bill

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:36:29 -0000, "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote:

    >Bill
    >
    >What is the name of the file?

    Bill

    What is the name of the folder?

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Hi Gerry,
    >
    > It's not a file but an empty folder. The tech that set up my new
    > computer
    > apparently created another "User" folder to store some of my files
    > from my old
    > computer. I have since resolved an issue with opening these particular
    > files and
    > deleted the ones in this folder, leaving me with an empty folder,
    > which is the
    > one I wish to delete, or at worst case, rename. But I can't seem to
    > find out how
    > to do either.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:36:29 -0000, "Gerry Cornell"
    > <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Bill
    >>
    >>What is the name of the file?

    Draw

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:28:05 -0000, "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote:

    >Bill
    >
    >What is the name of the folder?

    Bill,

    Open Regedit and navigate to:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths

    Backup the key, and delete the corresponding value (same as the user account
    name) in the right-pane.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Bill Helbron" <jw.helbron@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files Stored
    > on This
    > Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was able
    > delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder or even
    > rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is grey'ed out.
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Bill

    Hi Ramesh,

    I backed up the key and deleted the entry as you instructed, restarted, but the
    icon "Draw" still appears on reboot.

    Bill

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:33:29 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Bill,
    >
    >Open Regedit and navigate to:
    >
    >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
    >
    >Backup the key, and delete the corresponding value (same as the user account
    >name) in the right-pane.

    Bill,

    Have you deleted the user account named "Draw" from Control Panel User
    Accounts applet? Actually, that's the proper way to delete user accounts,
    and deleting their Homepath is not recommended.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Hi Ramesh,
    >
    > I backed up the key and deleted the entry as you instructed, restarted,
    > but the
    > icon "Draw" still appears on reboot.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:33:29 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Bill,
    >>
    >>Open Regedit and navigate to:
    >>
    >>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
    >>
    >>Backup the key, and delete the corresponding value (same as the user
    >>account
    >>name) in the right-pane.

    Thanks! That did the trick.

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:15:52 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Bill,
    >
    >Have you deleted the user account named "Draw" from Control Panel User
    >Accounts applet? Actually, that's the proper way to delete user accounts,
    >and deleting their Homepath is not recommended.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You're welcome!

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Thanks! That did the trick.
    >
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:15:52 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Bill,
    >>
    >>Have you deleted the user account named "Draw" from Control Panel User
    >>Accounts applet? Actually, that's the proper way to delete user accounts,
    >>and deleting their Homepath is not recommended.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP