Deleting Folder in My Computer

March 16, 2005 7:12:55 PM

I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files Stored on This
Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was able to
delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder or even
rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is grey'ed out.
Please advise.

Bill
March 16, 2005 7:12:56 PM

You do not double-click the folder, you rightclick the folder and then
click Delete.

"Bill Helbron" wrote:

> I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files Stored on This
> Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was able to
> delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder or even
> rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is grey'ed out.
> Please advise.
>
> Bill

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:24:45 PM

Restart in Safe Mode (press F8 several times whem BIOS screen turns black) and try to delete it there.

"Bill Helbron" <jw.helbron@verizon.net> escribió en el mensaje news:1hmg31teuvvjvjinagb9tpdnurbvp58739@4ax.com...
> I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files Stored on This
> Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was able to
> delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder or even
> rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is grey'ed out.
> Please advise.
>
> Bill
March 17, 2005 1:24:10 AM

Hi Byte,

Unfortunately, when I right-click on the folder, "Delete" is not an option in
the drop-down window.

Bill

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:31:04 -0800, "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>You do not double-click the folder, you rightclick the folder and then
>click Delete.
>
>"Bill Helbron" wrote:
>
>> I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files Stored on This
>> Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was able to
>> delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder or even
>> rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is grey'ed out.
>> Please advise.
>>
>> Bill

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:36:29 AM

Bill

What is the name of the file?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bill Helbron" <jw.helbron@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi Byte,
>
> Unfortunately, when I right-click on the folder, "Delete" is not an
> option in
> the drop-down window.
>
> Bill
>
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:31:04 -0800, "Byte"
> <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>>You do not double-click the folder, you rightclick the folder and then
>>click Delete.
>>
>>"Bill Helbron" wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files
>>> Stored on This
>>> Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was
>>> able to
>>> delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder
>>> or even
>>> rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is
>>> grey'ed out.
>>> Please advise.
>>>
>>> Bill

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:12:42 AM

Hi Gerry,

It's not a file but an empty folder. The tech that set up my new computer
apparently created another "User" folder to store some of my files from my old
computer. I have since resolved an issue with opening these particular files and
deleted the ones in this folder, leaving me with an empty folder, which is the
one I wish to delete, or at worst case, rename. But I can't seem to find out how
to do either.

Bill

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:36:29 -0000, "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote:

>Bill
>
>What is the name of the file?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:28:05 AM

Bill

What is the name of the folder?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Hi Gerry,
>
> It's not a file but an empty folder. The tech that set up my new
> computer
> apparently created another "User" folder to store some of my files
> from my old
> computer. I have since resolved an issue with opening these particular
> files and
> deleted the ones in this folder, leaving me with an empty folder,
> which is the
> one I wish to delete, or at worst case, rename. But I can't seem to
> find out how
> to do either.
>
> Bill
>
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:36:29 -0000, "Gerry Cornell"
> <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote:
>
>>Bill
>>
>>What is the name of the file?

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 3:21:23 AM

Draw

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:28:05 -0000, "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote:

>Bill
>
>What is the name of the folder?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:33:29 PM

Bill,

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths

Backup the key, and delete the corresponding value (same as the user account
name) in the right-pane.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Bill Helbron" <jw.helbron@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows XP HE and in "My Computer" window, under "Files Stored
> on This
> Computer", there are 3 folders. I want to delete one of them. I was able
> delete what was stored in that folder, but can't delete the folder or even
> rename it. When I double-click on the folder, the "Delete" is grey'ed out.
> Please advise.
>
> Bill
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 6:30:51 PM

Hi Ramesh,

I backed up the key and deleted the entry as you instructed, restarted, but the
icon "Draw" still appears on reboot.

Bill

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:33:29 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
wrote:

>Bill,
>
>Open Regedit and navigate to:
>
>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
>
>Backup the key, and delete the corresponding value (same as the user account
>name) in the right-pane.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 1:15:52 AM

Bill,

Have you deleted the user account named "Draw" from Control Panel User
Accounts applet? Actually, that's the proper way to delete user accounts,
and deleting their Homepath is not recommended.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> I backed up the key and deleted the entry as you instructed, restarted,
> but the
> icon "Draw" still appears on reboot.
>
> Bill
>
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:33:29 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Bill,
>>
>>Open Regedit and navigate to:
>>
>>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
>>
>>Backup the key, and delete the corresponding value (same as the user
>>account
>>name) in the right-pane.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 1:15:53 AM

Thanks! That did the trick.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:15:52 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
wrote:

>Bill,
>
>Have you deleted the user account named "Draw" from Control Panel User
>Accounts applet? Actually, that's the proper way to delete user accounts,
>and deleting their Homepath is not recommended.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 1:16:25 PM

You're welcome!

--