IE Start Menu icon problems

I've recently removed a load of Adware that Norton AV found on my PC & now my
IE icon at the top of my Start Menu is not working.
The icon is not showing the IE icon, but the "don't know what icon to use"
icon instead. When I try to open IE via this icon Windows asks me what
application I want to use to open it, & if I choose IE it opens a Windows
Explorer at my profile directory.
Does anyone know anything about how the Internet & E-mail icons work on the
Start Menu, or anywhere I can find out?

Thanks,

Toby
8 answers Last reply
More about start menu icon problems

    Do you still have an i.e icon on your desktop? Do you have any i.e icon that
    works?

    "Tangled Kid" wrote:

    > I've recently removed a load of Adware that Norton AV found on my PC & now my
    > IE icon at the top of my Start Menu is not working.
    > The icon is not showing the IE icon, but the "don't know what icon to use"
    > icon instead. When I try to open IE via this icon Windows asks me what
    > application I want to use to open it, & if I choose IE it opens a Windows
    > Explorer at my profile directory.
    > Does anyone know anything about how the Internet & E-mail icons work on the
    > Start Menu, or anywhere I can find out?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Toby

    Yes, I still have my desktop icon. It appears fine on my desktop & works
    fine, as does the one in the Program section of the Start Menu. It's just
    the one pinned to the top of my Start Menu that isn't working.

    I've done a temporary fix by pinning another IE icon to the Start Menu &
    disabling the default one, but would rather fix the problem.

    "Royce" wrote:

    > Do you still have an i.e icon on your desktop? Do you have any i.e icon that
    > works?
    >
    > "Tangled Kid" wrote:
    >
    > > I've recently removed a load of Adware that Norton AV found on my PC & now my
    > > IE icon at the top of my Start Menu is not working.
    > > The icon is not showing the IE icon, but the "don't know what icon to use"
    > > icon instead. When I try to open IE via this icon Windows asks me what
    > > application I want to use to open it, & if I choose IE it opens a Windows
    > > Explorer at my profile directory.
    > > Does anyone know anything about how the Internet & E-mail icons work on the
    > > Start Menu, or anywhere I can find out?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Toby

    try going to: start > run > type in regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
    and do it for the rest of these
    Mshtml.dll
    Shdocvw.dll
    Msjava.dll
    Actxprxy.dll
    Oleaut32.dll
    Mshtml.dll
    Browseui.dll
    Shell32.dll

    if that doesnt work try going to the control panel > add or remove programs
    > on the left side will be add\remove windows components(click that) >
    uncheck internet explorer > reboot your computer > then go back in and
    recheck internet explorer

    hopefully this will help! (if not let me know)

    "Tangled Kid" wrote:

    > Yes, I still have my desktop icon. It appears fine on my desktop & works
    > fine, as does the one in the Program section of the Start Menu. It's just
    > the one pinned to the top of my Start Menu that isn't working.
    >
    > I've done a temporary fix by pinning another IE icon to the Start Menu &
    > disabling the default one, but would rather fix the problem.

    > "Royce" wrote:
    >
    > > Do you still have an i.e icon on your desktop? Do you have any i.e icon that
    > > works?
    > >
    > > "Tangled Kid" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've recently removed a load of Adware that Norton AV found on my PC & now my
    > > > IE icon at the top of my Start Menu is not working.
    > > > The icon is not showing the IE icon, but the "don't know what icon to use"
    > > > icon instead. When I try to open IE via this icon Windows asks me what
    > > > application I want to use to open it, & if I choose IE it opens a Windows
    > > > Explorer at my profile directory.
    > > > Does anyone know anything about how the Internet & E-mail icons work on the
    > > > Start Menu, or anywhere I can find out?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Toby

    Hi Toby,

    Type this command in Start/Run:

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

    Uncheck Start Menu internet in Taskbar options and click OK. Recheck the
    option back. If that does not help, read below:

    The Start Menu Internet is dependant on this registry key, sub-keys and
    values:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}

    Export this key from a working Windows XP system, and merge it in your
    system.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Tangled Kid" <Tangled Kid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've recently removed a load of Adware that Norton AV found on my PC & now
    > my
    > IE icon at the top of my Start Menu is not working.
    > The icon is not showing the IE icon, but the "don't know what icon to use"
    > icon instead. When I try to open IE via this icon Windows asks me what
    > application I want to use to open it, & if I choose IE it opens a Windows
    > Explorer at my profile directory.
    > Does anyone know anything about how the Internet & E-mail icons work on
    > the
    > Start Menu, or anywhere I can find out?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Toby

    Ramesh,

    Thanks for the advise, but it hasn't fixed the problem. I've compared the
    registry entries to a working machine & they are identical.

    Any more ideas?

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Toby,
    >
    > Type this command in Start/Run:
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    > regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll
    >
    > Uncheck Start Menu internet in Taskbar options and click OK. Recheck the
    > option back. If that does not help, read below:
    >
    > The Start Menu Internet is dependant on this registry key, sub-keys and
    > values:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}
    >
    > Export this key from a working Windows XP system, and merge it in your
    > system.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Tangled Kid" <Tangled Kid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've recently removed a load of Adware that Norton AV found on my PC & now
    > > my
    > > IE icon at the top of my Start Menu is not working.
    > > The icon is not showing the IE icon, but the "don't know what icon to use"
    > > icon instead. When I try to open IE via this icon Windows asks me what
    > > application I want to use to open it, & if I choose IE it opens a Windows
    > > Explorer at my profile directory.
    > > Does anyone know anything about how the Internet & E-mail icons work on
    > > the
    > > Start Menu, or anywhere I can find out?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Toby

    Hi Tangled,

    Open Add/Remove Programs, and click Set Program access and Defaults.
    Set Internet Explorer as the default. This should fix the Start Menu IE link
    as well.

    If not, check the settings here:

    HKL\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet
    (default) should read "iexplore.exe"

    Verify the Path to IE, defined here:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\shell\open\command

    --

    > Ramesh,
    >
    > Thanks for the advise, but it hasn't fixed the problem. I've compared the
    > registry entries to a working machine & they are identical.
    >
    > Any more ideas?

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Toby,
    >>
    >> Type this command in Start/Run:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >> regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll
    >>
    >> Uncheck Start Menu internet in Taskbar options and click OK. Recheck the
    >> option back. If that does not help, read below:
    >>
    >> The Start Menu Internet is dependant on this registry key, sub-keys and
    >> values:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}
    >>
    >> Export this key from a working Windows XP system, and merge it in your
    >> system.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Tangled Kid" <Tangled Kid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've recently removed a load of Adware that Norton AV found on my PC &
    >> > now
    >> > my
    >> > IE icon at the top of my Start Menu is not working.
    >> > The icon is not showing the IE icon, but the "don't know what icon to
    >> > use"
    >> > icon instead. When I try to open IE via this icon Windows asks me what
    >> > application I want to use to open it, & if I choose IE it opens a
    >> > Windows
    >> > Explorer at my profile directory.
    >> > Does anyone know anything about how the Internet & E-mail icons work on
    >> > the
    >> > Start Menu, or anywhere I can find out?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Toby

    That's fixed it. I changed the value of the %ProgramFiles% setting the other
    day & so the registry entry was pointing to the new location. I've changed
    the DefaulIcon & command values & all is working lovely now.

    Thanks,

    You're welcome!

    --

    > That's fixed it. I changed the value of the %ProgramFiles% setting the
    > other
    > day & so the registry entry was pointing to the new location. I've
    > changed
    > the DefaulIcon & command values & all is working lovely now.
    >
    > Thanks,

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Tangled,
    >>
    >> Open Add/Remove Programs, and click Set Program access and Defaults.
    >> Set Internet Explorer as the default. This should fix the Start Menu IE
    >> link
    >> as well.
    >>
    >> If not, check the settings here:
    >>
    >> HKL\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet
    >> (default) should read "iexplore.exe"
    >>
    >> Verify the Path to IE, defined here:
    >>
    >> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\shell\open\command
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Tangled Kid" <TangledKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Ramesh,
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for the advise, but it hasn't fixed the problem. I've compared
    >> > the
    >> > registry entries to a working machine & they are identical.
    >> >
    >> > Any more ideas?

Internet Explorer Start Menu Windows XP