Stuck in Re-Boot Loop, Windows XP won't start

Short story: I rebooted, now PC is stuck in reboot mode. The Windows XP
screen appears for a few minutes, then screen goes blank & reboot starts up
again - keeps repeating - never opens. I have the original Windows XP
Operating disk. If I re-install I think it wipes all data from my PC. Is
there any alternative to re-installing? If not, is there any way to save
hard drive data by using DOS commands before I re-install? I'm not very
technical, so if you can help me, please reply in "language for dummies"....
lol. Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about stuck boot loop windows start

    see if this helps:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654&sd=tech

    "Diane" wrote:

    > Short story: I rebooted, now PC is stuck in reboot mode. The Windows XP
    > screen appears for a few minutes, then screen goes blank & reboot starts up
    > again - keeps repeating - never opens. I have the original Windows XP
    > Operating disk. If I re-install I think it wipes all data from my PC. Is
    > there any alternative to re-installing? If not, is there any way to save
    > hard drive data by using DOS commands before I re-install? I'm not very
    > technical, so if you can help me, please reply in "language for dummies"....
    > lol. Thanks!

    Hi

    After the next reboot, keep tapping the F8 key to see if you can access a
    screen that has 'Last Known Good Configuration' as an option. Try that to
    see if you can boot into Windows.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Diane" <Diane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Short story: I rebooted, now PC is stuck in reboot mode. The Windows XP
    > screen appears for a few minutes, then screen goes blank & reboot starts
    > up
    > again - keeps repeating - never opens. I have the original Windows XP
    > Operating disk. If I re-install I think it wipes all data from my PC. Is
    > there any alternative to re-installing? If not, is there any way to save
    > hard drive data by using DOS commands before I re-install? I'm not very
    > technical, so if you can help me, please reply in "language for
    > dummies"....
    > lol. Thanks!

Boot Microsoft Windows XP