Stuck in Re-Boot Loop, Windows XP won't start

Diane

Short story: I rebooted, now PC is stuck in reboot mode. The Windows XP
screen appears for a few minutes, then screen goes blank & reboot starts up
again - keeps repeating - never opens. I have the original Windows XP
Operating disk. If I re-install I think it wipes all data from my PC. Is
there any alternative to re-installing? If not, is there any way to save
hard drive data by using DOS commands before I re-install? I'm not very
technical, so if you can help me, please reply in "language for dummies"....
lol. Thanks!

Royce

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

see if this helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654&sd=tech

"Diane" wrote:

> Short story: I rebooted, now PC is stuck in reboot mode. The Windows XP
> screen appears for a few minutes, then screen goes blank & reboot starts up
> again - keeps repeating - never opens. I have the original Windows XP
> Operating disk. If I re-install I think it wipes all data from my PC. Is
> there any alternative to re-installing? If not, is there any way to save
> hard drive data by using DOS commands before I re-install? I'm not very
> technical, so if you can help me, please reply in "language for dummies"....
> lol. Thanks!

Hi

After the next reboot, keep tapping the F8 key to see if you can access a
screen that has 'Last Known Good Configuration' as an option. Try that to
see if you can boot into Windows.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User