Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Circulated at my sister's work-place, something to do with museum curation...
I think I got 2 (#37 and #39.) Shameful, I know.

The Museum Studies 2005 First Lines Quiz
(Search Engines are off limits)

1. If he had his way, Peter Mc Dermott thought, he would have fired the
chief house detective long ago

2. Like most people I lived a long time with my mother and father.

3. Turning over in bed, she was aware of a summons: Rouse yourself.

4. In Poland's deepest Autumn, a tall young man in an expensive overcoat,
double-breasted dinner jacket beneath it and - in the lapel of the dinner
jacket - a large ornamental gold-on-black enamel swastika, emerged from a
fashionable apartment block in Straszewskiego Street on the edge of the
ancient centre of Cracow and saw his chauffeur waiting with fuming breath by
the open door of an enormous and, even in this blackened world, lustrous
Adler limousine.

5. 'If you want my opinion,' said Gwen Cellan-Davies, 'the old boy's a
terrifically distinguished citizen of Wales'.

6. The year began with lunch.

7. The book was thick and black and covered with dust.

8. I am, I discover, a very untidy man.

9. He left the carriage, ascended the short flight of steps and walked
briskly past the dozing porter sitting in the deep shade of the portico; a
small neat man, in dark, well cut city clothes and a glossy topper.

10. We were coming down our road. Kevin stopped at a gate and bashed it with
his stick.

11. If there was a bishop, my mother would have him to tea.

12. I awoke with foreboding. My hand closed in a reflex on the Luger under
the pillow.

13. "I don't like marriage, Mama."

14. In her tight-fitting Persian dress, with turban to match, she looked
ravishing.

15. Gillon lay in bed with her eyes closed.

16. From the window all that could be seen was a receding area of grey.

17. There, far below, is the knobbly backbone of England, the Pennine Range.

18. The kitchen was full of the smell of baking.

19. It seems increasingly likely that I really will undertake the expedition
that has been preoccupying my imagination now for some days.

20. She came gliding along London's broadest street, and then halted,
swaying gently.

21. This is the story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a
Man's resolution can achieve.

22. When the East wind blows up Helford River the shining waters become
troubled and disturbed, and the little waves beat angrily upon the sandy
shores.

23. The idea of eternal return is a mysterious one, and Nietzche has often
perplexed other philosophers with it: to think that everything recurs as we
once experienced it, and that the recurrence itself recurs ad infinitum!

24. Somewhere near Venice, Guy began talking with a heavy, elderly man, a
refugee from Germany on his way to Trieste.

25. The storm, which for days had spun in great, looping gusts from the
Hatteras Cape, had worn itself out in the Carolina Low Country.

26. Nanda was on her way to the Convent of the Five Wounds.

27. When they buried the Old Warrior there was only one small wreath to go
on the coffin; so, as the hearse stood there in the narrow street, with the
two black horses drooping their heads under the leaden winter weather,
someone ran back into the house and brought out the cavalry sabre that hung
over the mantelpiece.

28. If you require a sententious opening, here it is.

29 The guard at Exeter warned him he would have to change at Dulverton to
pick up the westbound train to Bamfylde Bridge Halt, the nearest railhead to
the school, but did not add that the wait between trains was an hour.

30. As I sit down to write here amidst the shadows of vine-leaves under the
blue sky of southern Italy, it comes to me with a certain quality of
astonishment that my participation in these amazing adventures of Mr Cavor
was, after all, the outcome of the purest accident.

31. 'Yes,' said Tom bluntly, on opening the front door.

32. I was born in the City of Bombay... once upon a time.

33. What was he frightened of, she wondered, as he burrowed his knees into
her thighs and clutched at her through the cotton nightgown.

34. Hermione Staunton was nine when she realised she was in love with Sandy
Gordon-Lockhart, who was eleven, and though she wouldn't have used those
exact words to describe the feeling, she never forgot the moment.

35. The painting I stole for Imogen Linny, Jewess on a Street in Amsterdam,
arrive to the Glace Museum, here in Halifax, on September 5, 1938

36. Wilson sat up very straight. This was he first letter she had ever
written in her life and she wished it to be correct in every particular.

37. On August 16, 1968, I was handed a book written by a certain Abbé
Vallet, Le Manuscrit de Dom Adson de Melk, traduit en français d'apres
l'édition de Dom J. Mabillon (Aux Presses de l'Abbaye de la Source, Paris,
1842).

38. The first time you see human blood in any quantity, it leaves an
impression on you.

39. Dr Iannis had enjoyed a satisfactory day in which none of his patients
had died or got any worse.

40. 2:17 Don't have to get up until, latest half twelve.

--
Gareth Owen
101-ism (n): The tendency to pick apart, often in minute detail, all aspects

"Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> 30. As I sit down to write here amidst the shadows of vine-leaves under
> the
> blue sky of southern Italy, it comes to me with a certain quality of
> astonishment that my participation in these amazing adventures of Mr Cavor
> was, after all, the outcome of the purest accident.

First Men In The Moon

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On 08 Dec 2004 07:37:59 +0000, Gareth Owen
<usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Circulated at my sister's work-place, something to do with museum curation...
>I think I got 2 (#37 and #39.) Shameful, I know.

That's two more than me, I think, but I'll take a couple uneducated
guesses. :)

>2. Like most people I lived a long time with my mother and father.

Confederacy of Dunces?
The Fermata?

>6. The year began with lunch.

You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again?

>7. The book was thick and black and covered with dust.

The Necronomicon?
Mostly Harmless?

>9. He left the carriage, ascended the short flight of steps and walked
>briskly past the dozing porter sitting in the deep shade of the portico; a
>small neat man, in dark, well cut city clothes and a glossy topper.

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

>12. I awoke with foreboding. My hand closed in a reflex on the Luger under
>the pillow.

The Spy Who Loved Me?

>18. The kitchen was full of the smell of baking.

Sense and Sensibility?

>29 The guard at Exeter warned him he would have to change at Dulverton to
>pick up the westbound train to Bamfylde Bridge Halt, the nearest railhead to
>the school, but did not add that the wait between trains was an hour.

The Book with the Second-Worst Opening Sentence Ever?

>32. I was born in the City of Bombay... once upon a time.

That book about the little girl whose parents die and then she moves
to England or something?

>40. 2:17 Don't have to get up until, latest half twelve.

Bridget Jones Diary?

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:37:59 +0000, Gareth Owen wrote:
> 37. On August 16, 1968, I was handed a book written by a certain Abbé
> Vallet, Le Manuscrit de Dom Adson de Melk, traduit en français d'apres
> l'édition de Dom J. Mabillon (Aux Presses de l'Abbaye de la Source, Paris,
> 1842).

The Name of the Rose

> 39. Dr Iannis had enjoyed a satisfactory day in which none of his patients
> had died or got any worse.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

(Proper names are helpful as memory joggers!)
--
Jim Gillogly

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Gareth Owen" wrote
heaps of novel openings, including

> 17. There, far below, is the knobbly backbone of England, the Pennine Range.

This is not an answer, but I can't resist quoting (approx)
this cricket commentary running joke from the Old
Trafford cricket ground, (not that I know quite exactly
where that is -)

"If you can't see the Pennines it's raining, and if you *can*
see the Pennines, it's *going* to rain"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On 08 Dec 2004 07:37:59 +0000, Gareth Owen
<usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>11. If there was a bishop, my mother would have him to tea.

That's why we kept our chess set hidden.

>14. In her tight-fitting Persian dress, with turban to match, she looked
>ravishing.

We'd win Best Dressed Dachshund this year for sure!

>33. What was he frightened of, she wondered, as he burrowed his knees into
>her thighs and clutched at her through the cotton nightgown.

Could it be the Luger I keep hidden under my pillow?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

I think that one is J B Priestlys "The Good Companions"

Old Trafford cricket ground is the home of Lancashire County Cricket club -
not to be confused with Old Trafford football ground, home of Manchester
United.
Both are in Manchester.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <r5i8y898cko.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>,
Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>Circulated at my sister's work-place, something to do with museum curation...
>I think I got 2 (#37 and #39.) Shameful, I know.
>
>The Museum Studies 2005 First Lines Quiz
>(Search Engines are off limits)

>32. I was born in the City of Bombay... once upon a time.

Two guesses:

_Kim_ (never read it, so that's a pure guess)
_Midnight's Children_ (I have read that, but it was a while ago. It *sounds*
right).

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

Alan Morgan schrieb:
> >The Museum Studies 2005 First Lines Quiz
> >(Search Engines are off limits)
>
> >32. I was born in the City of Bombay... once upon a time.
>
> Two guesses:
>
> _Kim_ (never read it, so that's a pure guess)

"He sat, in defiance of municipal orders, astride the gun Zam-Zammah on
her brick platform opposite the old Ajaib-Gher - the Wonder House, as
the natives called the Lahore Museum."

Quite distinctive. ;)

Cheers
Michael
--
Still an attentive ear he lent Her speech hath caused this pain
But could not fathom what she meant Easier I count it to explain

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <41B79455.AE0FA0D2@msgid.michael.mendelsohn.de>,
Michael Mendelsohn <a2004@michael.mendelsohn.de> wrote:

>Alan Morgan schrieb:
>> >The Museum Studies 2005 First Lines Quiz
>> >(Search Engines are off limits)
>>
>> >32. I was born in the City of Bombay... once upon a time.
>>
>> Two guesses:
>>
>> _Kim_ (never read it, so that's a pure guess)
>
>"He sat, in defiance of municipal orders, astride the gun Zam-Zammah on
>her brick platform opposite the old Ajaib-Gher - the Wonder House, as
>the natives called the Lahore Museum."
>
>Quite distinctive. ;)

I *did* say that I hadn't read it. Of course, taking into account that it
doesn't sound remotely like Kipling, that Kim was (IIRC) Irish, and that
my second guess was, in fact, the right one, it was a poor choice.

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

* dgates@spamlinkline.com

> >32. I was born in the City of Bombay... once upon a time.
>
> That book about the little girl whose parents die and then she moves
> to England or something?

"The Secret Garden"

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway, mailto:jonhaug@ifi.uio.no

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Somebody claiming to be Dgates <dgates@spamlinkline.com> wrote in

>>29 The guard at Exeter warned him he would have to change at Dulverton
>>to pick up the westbound train to Bamfylde Bridge Halt, the nearest
>>railhead to the school, but did not add that the wait between trains
>>was an hour.
>
> The Book with the Second-Worst Opening Sentence Ever?

Was "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" a book before it was made into a movie?

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
TV Announcer: It's 11:00. Do you know where your children are?

"Terry Portwain" <terryandlinda@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> I think that one is J B Priestlys "The Good Companions"
>
> Old Trafford cricket ground is the home of Lancashire County Cricket
club -
> not to be confused with Old Trafford football ground, home of Manchester
> United.
> Both are in Manchester.

Both are in the town of Stretford, in Trafford borough.

Adrian

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:35:23 -0000, "Ted S." <fedya@bestweb.spam>
wrote:

>Was "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" a book before it was made into a movie?

Originally published in the 1933 Christmas issue of a British
periodical, Goodbye, Mr. Chips was dashed off in four days by the
33-year-old Hilton, who had just scored a fabulous success with his
novel Lost Horizon, a tale of immortality set in the fictional Tibetan
utopia of "Shangri-La."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/mrchips/

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia, rec.puzzles (More info?)

Ahh... Still my favorite opening to a novel was: "It was the day after
his grandmother blew up." I'm not sadistic against elderly women;
however, this line would be humerous regardless of the object of the
sentence.

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> > 28. If you require a sententious opening, here it is.
>
> Dickens of some form? David Copperfield?

No.
I liked this one, so I tried Google. Exactly one hit! Actually, it's not
a novel ... it's the first part of an autobiography.
Anthony Burgess, Little Wilson and Big God

Gareth Owen wrote:
> The Museum Studies 2005 First Lines Quiz

And then you can tell me, what have I got in my pocket?
It's a trivia quiz, not a puzzle.
Socks

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

I think it's quite hard to find puzzle-able opening lines. Few have
aquired fame, so it's got to be some rather fairly well-known book (or
at least a well-known author with a distinctive style), and the opening
line must contain enough of a clue (but not too little). Oh well.

I thought I'd try my hand at posting three classic short stories and
three books. To give you more to work with, the first line extends into
the first paragraph in rot13.
Please try wild guessing, you might just be correct. ;)

Short 1
-------
As Mr. John Oakhurst, gambler, stepped into the main street of Poker
Flat on the morning of the 23d of November, 1850, he was conscious of a
change in its moral atmosphere since the preceding night.

Nf Ze. Wbua Bnxuhefg, tnzoyre, fgrccrq vagb gur znva fgerrg bs Cbxre
Syng ba gur zbeavat bs gur 23q bs Abirzore, 1850, ur jnf pbafpvbhf bs n
punatr va vgf zbeny ngzbfcurer fvapr gur cerprqvat avtug. Gjb be guerr
zra, pbairefvat rnearfgyl gbtrgure, prnfrq nf ur nccebnpurq, naq
rkpunatrq fvtavsvpnag tynaprf. Gurer jnf n Fnoongu yhyy va gur nve,
juvpu, va n frggyrzrag hahfrq gb Fnoongu vasyhraprf, ybbxrq bzvabhf.

Short 2
-------
I'm not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it's
Shakespeare--or, if not, it's some equally brainy lad--who says that
it's always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole, and
more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up
behind him with a bit of lead piping.

V'z abg nofbyhgryl pregnva bs zl snpgf, ohg V engure snapl vg'f
Funxrfcrner--be, vs abg, vg'f fbzr rdhnyyl oenval ynq--jub fnlf gung
vg'f nyjnlf whfg jura n punccvr vf srryvat cnegvphyneyl gbc-ubyr, naq
zber guna hfhnyyl oenprq jvgu guvatf va trareny gung Sngr farnxf hc
oruvaq uvz jvgu n ovg bs yrnq cvcvat. Gurer'f ab qbhog gur zna'f evtug.
Vg'f nofbyhgryl gung jnl jvgu zr. Gnxr, sbe vafgnapr, gur snveyl ehzzl
znggre bs Ynql Znyirea naq ure fba Jvyzbg. N zbzrag orsber gurl ghearq
hc, V jnf whfg guvaxvat ubj gubebhtuyl nyy evtug rirelguvat jnf.

Short 3
-------
At the lake shore there was another rowboat drawn up.

Ng gur ynxr fuber gurer jnf nabgure ebjobng qenja hc. Gur gjb Vaqvnaf
fgbbq jnvgvat.

[And the last line of this story:]
In the early morning on the lake sitting in the stern of the boat with
his father rowing; he felt quite sure that he would never die.

Book 1
------
[The protagonist] took his bottle from the corner of the mantel-piece
and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case.

[Gur cebgntbavfg] gbbx uvf obggyr sebz gur pbeare bs gur znagry-cvrpr
naq uvf ulcbqrezvp flevatr sebz vgf arng zbebppb pnfr. Jvgu uvf ybat,
juvgr, areibhf svatref ur nqwhfgrq gur qryvpngr arrqyr, naq ebyyrq onpx
uvf yrsg fuveg-phss. Sbe fbzr yvggyr gvzr uvf rlrf erfgrq gubhtugshyyl
hcba gur fvarjl sbernez naq jevfg nyy qbggrq naq fpneerq jvgu
vaahzrenoyr chapgher-znexf. Svanyyl ur guehfg gur funec cbvag ubzr,
cerffrq qbja gur gval cvfgba, naq fnax onpx vagb gur iryirg-yvarq
nez-punve jvgu n ybat fvtu bs fngvfsnpgvba.

Book 2
------
The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling.

Gur fjrng jvf ynfuvat bnsnl Fvpx Obl; ur jvf gerzoyvat. Nu jvf wvfg
fvggvat gunve, sbphfvat bna gur gryyl, gelva ab gnr abgvpr gur phag. Ur
jvf oevatvat zr qbba. Nu gevrq gnr xrrc zn nggragvba bna gur Wrna-Pynhqr
Ina Qnzzr ivqrb.

Book 3
------
This book has been approved by The Department of Homeland Security.

Guvf obbx unf orra nccebirq ol Gur Qrcnegzrag bs Ubzrynaq Frphevgl. Vg
pbagnvaf ab frqvgvbhf npgf be npgf bs gernfba. Rnpu jbeq unf orra
rknzvarq naq nanylmrq ol n grnz bs greebevfz rkcregf gb rafher gung vg
tvirf arvgure nvq abe pbzsbeg gb Gur Rarzl. Guvf obbx erirnyf ab fgngr
frpergf abe qbrf vg znxr choyvp nal pynffvsvrq qbphzragf gung znl pnhfr
nal rzoneenffzrag gb gur Havgrq Fgngrf be vgf pbzznaqre va puvrs. Ab
uvqqra zrffntrf gb greebevfgf ner pbagnvarq jvguva. Guvf vf n tbbq
Puevfgvna obbx, jevggra ol n cngevbgvp Nzrevpna jub xabjf gung jr jvyy
pehfu uvz fubhyq ur rire fgrc bhg bs yvar. Vs lbh unir chepunfrq guvf
obbx jr ner erdhverq gb abgvsl lbh cre Frpgvba 29N bs gur HFN Cngevbg
Npg gung lbhe anzr unf abj orra ragrerq vagb n qngnonfr bs cbgragvny
fhfcrpgf fubhyq gur arrq gb qrpyner znegvny ynj rire nevfr, juvpu jr ner
fher jvyy arire unccra. Orvat ba guvf yvfg bs anzrf nyfb dhnyvsvrf lbh
sbe gur tenaq cevmr qenjvat jurer gra yhpxl jvaaref jvyy erprvir nyy arj
Sbezvpn xvgpura pbhagref, pbzcyvzragf bs Xvgpura Zntvp. Vs lbh ner
vaqrrq n oban svqr greebevfg naq unir chepunfrq guvf pbcl va n
obbxfgber, be bognvarq vg ng n yvoenel va gur ubcrf bs hfvat gur
vasbezngvba rzorqqrq ba gurfr cntrf, erfg nffherq gung jr nyernql xabj
jub lbh ner. Guvf cntr lbh ner svatrevat evtug abj vf znqr bs n
gbc-frperg yvara cncre gung ertvfgref na nhgbzngvp svatrecevag naq ornzf
vg gb bhe prageny pbzznaq va Xvffvzzrr, Sybevqn. Qb abg nggrzcg gb grne
guvf cntr bhg bs gur obbx - vg vf GBB YNGR! Qb abg nggrzcg gb eha
orpnhfr jr'ir tbg n ybpx ba lbh evtug abj, lbh qvegl ab tbbq
rivy-qbre... SERRMR! QEBC GUR OBBX! UNAQF VA GUR NVE! LBH UNIR GUR EVTUG
GB...FPERJ VG! LBH QBA'G UNIR NAL EVTUGF! LBH AB YBATRE RKVFG! NAQ GB
GUVAX VS LBH UNQ BAYL NCCERPVNGRQ BHE JNL BS YVSR LBH PBHYQ UNIR UNQ
LBHE BJA FGNVA-ERFVFGNAG SBEZVPN PBHAGREF!
--

Michael Mendelsohn wrote:
> I think it's quite hard to find puzzle-able opening lines. Few have
> aquired fame, so it's got to be some rather fairly well-known book (or
> at least a well-known author with a distinctive style), and the opening
> line must contain enough of a clue (but not too little). Oh well.
>
> I thought I'd try my hand at posting three classic short stories and
> three books. To give you more to work with, the first line extends into
> the first paragraph in rot13.
> Please try wild guessing, you might just be correct. ;)
>

> Short 1
> -------
> As Mr. John Oakhurst, gambler, stepped into the main street of Poker
> Flat on the morning of the 23d of November, 1850, he was conscious of a
> change in its moral atmosphere since the preceding night.
>
> Nf Ze. Wbua Bnxuhefg, tnzoyre, fgrccrq vagb gur znva fgerrg bs Cbxre
> Syng ba gur zbeavat bs gur 23q bs Abirzore, 1850, ur jnf pbafpvbhf bs n
> punatr va vgf zbeny ngzbfcurer fvapr gur cerprqvat avtug. Gjb be guerr
> zra, pbairefvat rnearfgyl gbtrgure, prnfrq nf ur nccebnpurq, naq
> rkpunatrq fvtavsvpnag tynaprf. Gurer jnf n Fnoongu yhyy va gur nve,
> juvpu, va n frggyrzrag hahfrq gb Fnoongu vasyhraprf, ybbxrq bzvabhf.

Don't know this one

> Short 2
> -------
> I'm not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it's
> Shakespeare--or, if not, it's some equally brainy lad--who says that
> it's always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole, and
> more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up
> behind him with a bit of lead piping.

This sounds likes Bertie Wooster === Jeeves - PG Wodehouse

> V'z abg nofbyhgryl pregnva bs zl snpgf, ohg V engure snapl vg'f
> Funxrfcrner--be, vs abg, vg'f fbzr rdhnyyl oenval ynq--jub fnlf gung
> vg'f nyjnlf whfg jura n punccvr vf srryvat cnegvphyneyl gbc-ubyr, naq
> zber guna hfhnyyl oenprq jvgu guvatf va trareny gung Sngr farnxf hc
> oruvaq uvz jvgu n ovg bs yrnq cvcvat. Gurer'f ab qbhog gur zna'f evtug.
> Vg'f nofbyhgryl gung jnl jvgu zr. Gnxr, sbe vafgnapr, gur snveyl ehzzl
> znggre bs Ynql Znyirea naq ure fba Jvyzbg. N zbzrag orsber gurl ghearq
> hc, V jnf whfg guvaxvat ubj gubebhtuyl nyy evtug rirelguvat jnf.
>

> Short 3
> -------
> At the lake shore there was another rowboat drawn up.

Obviously not English-born writer rowboat = rowing boat
Vague feeling that you are continuing the Hemingway theme (I managed to
spell it right this time)

i Ng gur ynxr fuber gurer jnf nabgure ebjobng qenja hc. Gur gjb Vaqvnaf
> fgbbq jnvgvat.
>
> [And the last line of this story:]
> In the early morning on the lake sitting in the stern of the boat with
> his father rowing; he felt quite sure that he would never die.
>

> Book 1
> ------
> [The protagonist] took his bottle from the corner of the mantel-piece
> and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case.
>
> [Gur cebgntbavfg] gbbx uvf obggyr sebz gur pbeare bs gur znagry-cvrpr
> naq uvf ulcbqrezvp flevatr sebz vgf arng zbebppb pnfr. Jvgu uvf ybat,
> juvgr, areibhf svatref ur nqwhfgrq gur qryvpngr arrqyr, naq ebyyrq onpx
> uvf yrsg fuveg-phss. Sbe fbzr yvggyr gvzr uvf rlrf erfgrq gubhtugshyyl
> hcba gur fvarjl sbernez naq jevfg nyy qbggrq naq fpneerq jvgu
> vaahzrenoyr chapgher-znexf. Svanyyl ur guehfg gur funec cbvag ubzr,
> cerffrq qbja gur gval cvfgba, naq fnax onpx vagb gur iryirg-yvarq
> nez-punve jvgu n ybat fvtu bs fngvfsnpgvba.

this is from Sherlock Holmes - but which one?

> Book 2
> ------
> The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling.
>
> Gur fjrng jvf ynfuvat bnsnl Fvpx Obl; ur jvf gerzoyvat. Nu jvf wvfg
> fvggvat gunve, sbphfvat bna gur gryyl, gelva ab gnr abgvpr gur phag. Ur
> jvf oevatvat zr qbba. Nu gevrq gnr xrrc zn nggragvba bna gur Wrna-Pynhqr
> Ina Qnzzr ivqrb.
>
> ]

Sick Boy - Renton and Crew

without looking at the rot13 (cos I can't with new news reader) it
continues " An I was watching telly - tryin to ignore the stupid c**t "
or something like that (in Scots Dialect and knowing Welsh perfectly
phrased) .

The gut-wrenching Irvine Welsh and Trainspotting

> Book 3
> ------
> This book has been approved by The Department of Homeland Security.
>
> Guvf obbx unf orra nccebirq ol Gur Qrcnegzrag bs Ubzrynaq Frphevgl. Vg
> pbagnvaf ab frqvgvbhf npgf be npgf bs gernfba. Rnpu jbeq unf orra
> rknzvarq naq nanylmrq ol n grnz bs greebevfz rkcregf gb rafher gung vg
> tvirf arvgure nvq abe pbzsbeg gb Gur Rarzl. Guvf obbx erirnyf ab fgngr
> frpergf abe qbrf vg znxr choyvp nal pynffvsvrq qbphzragf gung znl pnhfr
> nal rzoneenffzrag gb gur Havgrq Fgngrf be vgf pbzznaqre va puvrs. Ab
> uvqqra zrffntrf gb greebevfgf ner pbagnvarq jvguva. Guvf vf n tbbq
> Puevfgvna obbx, jevggra ol n cngevbgvp Nzrevpna jub xabjf gung jr jvyy
> pehfu uvz fubhyq ur rire fgrc bhg bs yvar. Vs lbh unir chepunfrq guvf
> obbx jr ner erdhverq gb abgvsl lbh cre Frpgvba 29N bs gur HFN Cngevbg
> Npg gung lbhe anzr unf abj orra ragrerq vagb n qngnonfr bs cbgragvny
> fhfcrpgf fubhyq gur arrq gb qrpyner znegvny ynj rire nevfr, juvpu jr ner
> fher jvyy arire unccra. Orvat ba guvf yvfg bs anzrf nyfb dhnyvsvrf lbh
> sbe gur tenaq cevmr qenjvat jurer gra yhpxl jvaaref jvyy erprvir nyy arj
> Sbezvpn xvgpura pbhagref, pbzcyvzragf bs Xvgpura Zntvp. Vs lbh ner
> vaqrrq n oban svqr greebevfg naq unir chepunfrq guvf pbcl va n
> obbxfgber, be bognvarq vg ng n yvoenel va gur ubcrf bs hfvat gur
> vasbezngvba rzorqqrq ba gurfr cntrf, erfg nffherq gung jr nyernql xabj
> jub lbh ner. Guvf cntr lbh ner svatrevat evtug abj vf znqr bs n
> gbc-frperg yvara cncre gung ertvfgref na nhgbzngvp svatrecevag naq ornzf
> vg gb bhe prageny pbzznaq va Xvffvzzrr, Sybevqn. Qb abg nggrzcg gb grne
> guvf cntr bhg bs gur obbx - vg vf GBB YNGR! Qb abg nggrzcg gb eha
> orpnhfr jr'ir tbg n ybpx ba lbh evtug abj, lbh qvegl ab tbbq
> rivy-qbre... SERRMR! QEBC GUR OBBX! UNAQF VA GUR NVE! LBH UNIR GUR EVTUG
> GB...FPERJ VG! LBH QBA'G UNIR NAL EVTUGF! LBH AB YBATRE RKVFG! NAQ GB
> GUVAX VS LBH UNQ BAYL NCCERPVNGRQ BHE JNL BS YVSR LBH PBHYQ UNIR UNQ
> LBHE BJA FGNVA-ERFVFGNAG SBEZVPN PBHAGREF!

I wound guess "Fahrenheit 9/11" but that is the name of the film not the
book - "Dude! Where's my Country?" not sure that is the right book.

Regards

Matthew Newell

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <1103039494.900792.189060@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Puppet_Sock" <puppet_sock@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Gareth Owen wrote:
> > The Museum Studies 2005 First Lines Quiz
>
> And then you can tell me, what have I got in my pocket?
> It's a trivia quiz, not a puzzle.
> Socks

I find that statement puzzling.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Somebody claiming to be Matthew Newell <matt@capeside.co.uk> wrote in

>> Short 1
>> -------
>> As Mr. John Oakhurst, gambler, stepped into the main street of Poker
>> Flat on the morning of the 23d of November, 1850, he was conscious of a
>> change in its moral atmosphere since the preceding night.
>>
>> Nf Ze. Wbua Bnxuhefg, tnzoyre, fgrccrq vagb gur znva fgerrg bs Cbxre
>> Syng ba gur zbeavat bs gur 23q bs Abirzore, 1850, ur jnf pbafpvbhf bs n
>> punatr va vgf zbeny ngzbfcurer fvapr gur cerprqvat avtug. Gjb be guerr
>> zra, pbairefvat rnearfgyl gbtrgure, prnfrq nf ur nccebnpurq, naq
>> rkpunatrq fvtavsvpnag tynaprf. Gurer jnf n Fnoongu yhyy va gur nve,
>> juvpu, va n frggyrzrag hahfrq gb Fnoongu vasyhraprf, ybbxrq bzvabhf.
>>

> Don't know this one

Sounds like 'The Outcast(s) of Poker Flat', by Bret Harte.

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
TV Announcer: It's 11:00. Do you know where your children are?
Homer: I told you last night, *no*!
<http://www.snpp.com/episodes/4F06.html>

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:40:16 +0100, Michael Mendelsohn
<invalid@msgid.michael.mendelsohn.de> posted some more snippets.

>Short 2
>-------
>I'm not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it's
>Shakespeare--or, if not, it's some equally brainy lad--who says that
>it's always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole, and
>more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up
>behind him with a bit of lead piping.

Obviously PG Wodehouse, but he wrote so much... (A bit like JS Bach
in that respect; I sometimes wondered if PG Wodehouse was a pen-name
used by lots of different people because there just doesn't seem time
for one person to have written all that.)>

>Book 1
>------
>[The protagonist] took his bottle from the corner of the mantel-piece
>and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case.

The Seven Per Cent Solution?
(It's obviously Sherlock Holmes but not a Conan-Doyle one I think.)

>Book 2
>------
>The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling.

Trainspotting

>Book 3
>------
>This book has been approved by The Department of Homeland Security.

Stupid White Men?

--
David Brain
London, UK

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

SPOILERS BELOW!

Matthew Newell schrieb:
> Michael Mendelsohn wrote:
> > I think it's quite hard to find puzzle-able opening lines. Few have
> > aquired fame, so it's got to be some rather fairly well-known book (or
> > at least a well-known author with a distinctive style), and the opening
> > line must contain enough of a clue (but not too little). Oh well.
> >
> > I thought I'd try my hand at posting three classic short stories and
> > three books. To give you more to work with, the first line extends into
> > the first paragraph in rot13.
> > Please try wild guessing, you might just be correct. ;)
> >

> > Short 1
> > -------
> > As Mr. John Oakhurst, gambler, stepped into the main street of Poker
> > Flat on the morning of the 23d of November, 1850, he was conscious of a
> > change in its moral atmosphere since the preceding night.
> >
> > Nf Ze. Wbua Bnxuhefg, tnzoyre, fgrccrq vagb gur znva fgerrg bs Cbxre
> > Syng ba gur zbeavat bs gur 23q bs Abirzore, 1850, ur jnf pbafpvbhf bs n
> > punatr va vgf zbeny ngzbfcurer fvapr gur cerprqvat avtug. Gjb be guerr
> > zra, pbairefvat rnearfgyl gbtrgure, prnfrq nf ur nccebnpurq, naq
> > rkpunatrq fvtavsvpnag tynaprf. Gurer jnf n Fnoongu yhyy va gur nve,
> > juvpu, va n frggyrzrag hahfrq gb Fnoongu vasyhraprf, ybbxrq bzvabhf.
> >

> Don't know this one

I've seen it in several textbooks and collections now.
If you had seen it, you would have recognized it, I assume, since "Poker
Flat" is a dead giveaway to the title.

> This sounds likes Bertie Wooster === Jeeves - PG Wodehouse

Correct.
"Jeeves And The Unbidden Guest" out of the "My Man Jeeves" collection,
online at
http://www.PageByPageBooks.com/P_G_Wodehouse/My_Man_Jeeves/Jeeves_And_The_Unbidden_Guest_p1.html

> > Short 3
> > -------
> > At the lake shore there was another rowboat drawn up.
>
> Obviously not English-born writer rowboat = rowing boat
> Vague feeling that you are continuing the Hemingway theme (I managed to
> spell it right this time)

Indeed! Well done!
http://caesar.miyazaki-mu.ac.jp/~stakeno/classes/IIA/Indian_Camp.html

> > Book 1
> > ------
> > [The protagonist] took his bottle from the corner of the mantel-piece
> > and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case.

> this is from Sherlock Holmes - but which one?

There are nearly none that don't mention Sherlock in the first line, and
those that don't are hard to place. Referring to the Polymath challenge
again, it's from sin(4).

> > Book 2
> > ------
> > The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling.
>
> Sick Boy - Renton and Crew
>
> without looking at the rot13 (cos I can't with new news reader) it
> continues " An I was watching telly - tryin to ignore the stupid c**t "
> or something like that (in Scots Dialect and knowing Welsh perfectly
> phrased) .

Indded it does: Ah wis jist
sitting thair, focusing oan the telly, tryin no tae notice the wise and beautiful woman. He
wis bringing me doon. Ah tried tae keep ma attention oan the Jean-Claude
Van Damme video.

> The gut-wrenching Irvine Welsh and Trainspotting

Of course. Distinctive, isn't it?

> > Book 3
> > ------
> > This book has been approved by The Department of Homeland Security.

> I wound guess "Fahrenheit 9/11" but that is the name of the film not the
> book - "Dude! Where's my Country?" not sure that is the right book.

Spot on!

I found a webdified version of that flyleaf on
http://punknoodlevoter.tripod.com/id2.html which saved me a lot of
typing.

Cheers
Michael
--

"Ted S." schrieb:
> >> Short 1
> >> -------
> >> As Mr. John Oakhurst, gambler, stepped into the main street of Poker
> >> Flat on the morning of the 23d of November, 1850, he was conscious of a
> >> change in its moral atmosphere since the preceding night.

> Sounds like 'The Outcast(s) of Poker Flat', by Bret Harte.

And it is!
I read it at
http://www.PageByPageBooks.com/Bret_Harte/The_Outcasts_Of_Poker_Flat/
although there's a collection of his stories on Project Gutenberg as
well.

Extra point to Ted!
Michael
--

Harold Buck <no_one_knows@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <1103039494.900792.189060@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "Puppet_Sock" <puppet_sock@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Gareth Owen wrote:
>> > The Museum Studies 2005 First Lines Quiz
>>
>> And then you can tell me, what have I got in my pocket?
>> It's a trivia quiz, not a puzzle.
>> Socks
>

>I find that statement puzzling.

And I find it quisling :>
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere