Home network setup?

jeff

I have a new pc & I wanted to setup a home network, so I can connect to my
other pc & copy some files from it. Both are running XP, I ran the setup
wizard on both with no errors. The old pc I can connect to the internet no
problem but I can't see my new pc. I can't see my old pc from my new one
either. I'm new to this so I'm not sure I have everything set correctly.
Should I have an icon the represents both pc's ? When I go to my network
places & click on view workgroup computers I get an error msg. It says mshome
not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource.
contact administrator of this server to have permission.
Down below it says the list of servers for this workgroup is not availbe.

help please.
--
jeff

Fitz

"mshome" is the default name assigned to a Workgroup by Windows. You need to
assign both computer's an individual name, and the Workgroup a name common
to both...both computers must be in the same Workgroup to be accessible.

Are you connecting via a router or a direct connection between the
computer's? Are you able to connect to the internet with the new computer?

Fitz

Hi Jeff,

Two things: make sure your firewall(s) on the computers are configured to
allow the network to see each other. You might want to look in the help for
that. Also, make sure you've at least shared 1 file or folder on both
computers. Reboot and it should be fine.

Newtechie