"Total alert, fatal exception." in Web Pro v3.0 and Tungst..

July 20, 2005 6:54:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtop.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hello all.

Does anyone know why this "Total alert, fatal exception." error now
comes up in Web Pro v3.0 and Tungsten C Handheld? I am trying to fix
someone's old PDA.

He showed me Web Pro v3.0 loading a few Web sites. Google was fine, but
news sites crashes hard with "Total alert, fatal exception." and must
use the reset to reboot the PDA.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"It's kind of an insane case ... 6,000 ants dressed up as rice and robbed a Chinese restaurant." --Steven Wright
/\___/\
| |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
( )
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 7:12:36 AM

In comp.sys.palmtops.pilot ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> Hello all.

> Does anyone know why this "Total alert, fatal exception." error now
> comes up in Web Pro v3.0 and Tungsten C Handheld? I am trying to fix
> someone's old PDA.

> He showed me Web Pro v3.0 loading a few Web sites. Google was fine, but
> news sites crashes hard with "Total alert, fatal exception." and must
> use the reset to reboot the PDA.

> Thank you in advance. :)

More information, but still unresolved.

Regular Web browser (the basic one that comes with PDA) works fine.
Clearing caches, cookies, etc. in Web Pro v3.0 did not help. There is
about 6 MB of free memory available so this document on
http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=94,...
does not fix the problem.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"It's kind of an insane case ... 6,000 ants dressed up as rice and robbed a Chinese restaurant." --Steven Wright
/\___/\
| |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
( )
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:24:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtop.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In comp.sys.palmtops.pilot ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> In comp.sys.palmtops.pilot ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> > Hello all.

> > Does anyone know why this "Total alert, fatal exception." error now
> > comes up in Web Pro v3.0 and Tungsten C Handheld? I am trying to fix
> > someone's old PDA.

> > He showed me Web Pro v3.0 loading a few Web sites. Google was fine, but
> > news sites crashes hard with "Total alert, fatal exception." and must
> > use the reset to reboot the PDA.

> > Thank you in advance. :)

> More information, but still unresolved.

> Regular Web browser (the basic one that comes with PDA) works fine.
> Clearing caches, cookies, etc. in Web Pro v3.0 did not help. There is
> about 6 MB of free memory available so this document on
> http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=94,...
> does not fix the problem.

> Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)

Another follow-up. I posted on Palm's forum due to lack of replies in the
newsgroups. Someone suggested to do a hard reset and resynch. Is that really
a good idea and safe just to fix this one software issue? That is like
reformatting my computer HDD just to fix a software issue.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"It's kind of an insane case ... 6,000 ants dressed up as rice and robbed a Chinese restaurant." --Steven Wright
/\___/\
| |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
( )
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:41:40 AM

On or about Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:24:03 +0100, someone claiming to be
<ANTant@zimage.com> permuted the language to say:

> In comp.sys.palmtops.pilot ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>> In comp.sys.palmtops.pilot ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>> > Hello all.
>
>> > Does anyone know why this "Total alert, fatal exception." error now
>> > comes up in Web Pro v3.0 and Tungsten C Handheld? I am trying to fix
>> > someone's old PDA.
>
>> > He showed me Web Pro v3.0 loading a few Web sites. Google was fine,
>> but
>> > news sites crashes hard with "Total alert, fatal exception." and must
>> > use the reset to reboot the PDA.
>
>> > Thank you in advance. :)
>
>> More information, but still unresolved.
>
>> Regular Web browser (the basic one that comes with PDA) works fine.
>> Clearing caches, cookies, etc. in Web Pro v3.0 did not help. There is
>> about 6 MB of free memory available so this document on
>> http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=94,...
>> does not fix the problem.
>
>> Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
>
> Another follow-up. I posted on Palm's forum due to lack of replies in the
> newsgroups. Someone suggested to do a hard reset and resynch. Is that
> really
> a good idea and safe just to fix this one software issue? That is like
> reformatting my computer HDD just to fix a software issue.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

Hard resets aren't that drastic. It'll put your Palm back to the state it
was 'out of the box'. You then need to do a custom sync to restore your
data (setting the desktop to over-write the Palm for data files, but
probably not for system files). You can select this one at a time just to
make sure things are working ok. Worth making sure you have backups of
your desktop files and installed apps before doing this, just in case.

If you are still worried (which is fair enough) try posting a help request
here in the Tungsten C forum:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/palmhandhelds/

You should get a reply over there (and someone will be able to take you
through the custom sync process better than I can.

--
Words
http://www.permuted.org.uk/mypda1.html - Tungsten C pages

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>In comp.sys.palmtops.pilot ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>> In comp.sys.palmtops.pilot ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>> > Hello all.
>
>> > Does anyone know why this "Total alert, fatal exception." error now
>> > comes up in Web Pro v3.0 and Tungsten C Handheld? I am trying to fix
>> > someone's old PDA.
>
>> > He showed me Web Pro v3.0 loading a few Web sites. Google was fine, but
>> > news sites crashes hard with "Total alert, fatal exception." and must
>> > use the reset to reboot the PDA.
>
>> > Thank you in advance. :)
>
>> More information, but still unresolved.
>
>> Regular Web browser (the basic one that comes with PDA) works fine.
>> Clearing caches, cookies, etc. in Web Pro v3.0 did not help. There is
>> about 6 MB of free memory available so this document on
>> http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=94,...
>> does not fix the problem.
>
>> Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
>
>Another follow-up. I posted on Palm's forum due to lack of replies in the
>newsgroups. Someone suggested to do a hard reset and resynch. Is that really
>a good idea and safe just to fix this one software issue? That is like
>reformatting my computer HDD just to fix a software issue.
>
>Thank you in advance. :)
Hard reset and resync has worked for me a couple of times in the last
- but like you I tend to think of it as an absolute last resort to a
big problem.

How about if you get some URLs that make it happen and see if other
people can break their T|C in the same way?
--
Rgds
Paul Webster

Paul Webster <paul.webster@spidersweb.spammenot.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> >> More information, but still unresolved.
> >
> >> Regular Web browser (the basic one that comes with PDA) works fine.
> >> Clearing caches, cookies, etc. in Web Pro v3.0 did not help. There is
> >> about 6 MB of free memory available so this document on
> >> http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=94,...
> >> does not fix the problem.
> >
> >> Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
> >
> >Another follow-up. I posted on Palm's forum due to lack of replies in the
> >newsgroups. Someone suggested to do a hard reset and resynch. Is that really
> >a good idea and safe just to fix this one software issue? That is like
> >reformatting my computer HDD just to fix a software issue.
> >
> >Thank you in advance. :)
> Hard reset and resync has worked for me a couple of times in the last
> - but like you I tend to think of it as an absolute last resort to a
> big problem.

Yeah, the problem only affects the Web Pro. Everything else seems OK.

> How about if you get some URLs that make it happen and see if other
> people can break their T|C in the same way?

cnn.com would be one but it is a lot of Web sites.
--
"It's kind of an insane case ... 6,000 ants dressed up as rice and robbed a Chinese restaurant." --Steven Wright
/\___/\
| |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
( )
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:19:13 AM

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Paul Webster <paul.webster@spidersweb.spammenot.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>> >Another follow-up. I posted on Palm's forum due to lack of replies in the
>> >newsgroups. Someone suggested to do a hard reset and resynch. Is that really
>> >a good idea and safe just to fix this one software issue? That is like
>> >reformatting my computer HDD just to fix a software issue.
>> >
>> >Thank you in advance. :)
>> Hard reset and resync has worked for me a couple of times in the last
>> - but like you I tend to think of it as an absolute last resort to a
>> big problem.
>
>Yeah, the problem only affects the Web Pro. Everything else seems OK.
>

>> How about if you get some URLs that make it happen and see if other
>> people can break their T|C in the same way?
>
>cnn.com would be one but it is a lot of Web sites.
I just ran WebPro (1.0) on my Tungsten C (not got last Palm OS update
because of the well known MAC address issue).
I could get to cnn.com without a problem and went to the science and
space section, then read the article that has a good picture of a
T-Rex - all worked fine.
--
Rgds
Paul Webster