Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Win 7 -64 or Vista -64

Last response: in Windows 7
June 17, 2010 3:05:26 PM

Buying today, looking for pros and cons not sure the difference. My PC will be used 50% gaming 50% web design and photoshop.

More about : win vista

a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2010 5:49:41 PM

You should list some of your hardware. Me thinks drivers will be a determining factor.
Score
a c 209 $ Windows 7
June 17, 2010 5:53:20 PM

If you're buying a new computer today, I can think of no reason at all to use Vista. Go with Windows 7, it's newer, has fixed some of the Vista annoyances, and has already just about surpassed Vista in market share - that means it will be easier to find help when you need it.
Score
Related resources
June 17, 2010 6:02:55 PM

Sorry let me clarify a bit better here is my build, as we speak I am installing the CPU / Heatsink.

Case: ANTEC 900 II
PSU: Corsair 850TX
MoBo: ASUS 890GX
CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T BE 3.2
CPUCooling: Scythe Katana3
RAM: Corsair DDR3 1600 (8 Gigs)
GPU: XFX HD5850 x2 Xfire
HDD: WD Velociraptor 300gb
Storage: Samsung 1 TB x 2
Media: DVD/BluRay Samsung
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2010 6:12:30 PM

Windows 7 x64. You are crazy to go with anything older.

Nice system BTW.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2010 6:52:53 PM

Hi Big_Mike,

I'd have to say that Windows 7 is the way to go. Since it is the newest operating system there are a lot of support resources available (including forums, like this one), conversations about customizing, and cool features that you won't get with Vista. And, with 8 GB of Ram, 64-bit is the way to go!

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
a c 209 $ Windows 7
June 17, 2010 8:11:29 PM

mhelm1 said:
You should list some of your hardware. Me thinks drivers will be a determining factor.
Windows 7 can use Vista drivers so from that point of view it doesn't really matter which OS you choose. Drivers might be an issue in deciding between 32- and 64-bit, but not really between Vista and Win7.
Score
June 17, 2010 9:44:02 PM

vista??? LOL... there is a conflict just using the word vista not alone installing it....
i only have a hand full of games and still havent use the games under win7. i still dualboot to both win7 and xp just in case my games dont work on 7, cant take the chance of my nightly fix of COD5..
i would go with win7-32bit. there are hardly any true 64bit games or apps supported. y deal with the hassle of a 64bit incompatibility when you have have a 32bit OS.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
June 18, 2010 3:54:09 AM

aslanwcpu said:
vista??? LOL... there is a conflict just using the word vista not alone installing it....
i only have a hand full of games and still havent use the games under win7. i still dualboot to both win7 and xp just in case my games dont work on 7, cant take the chance of my nightly fix of COD5..
i would go with win7-32bit. there are hardly any true 64bit games or apps supported. y deal with the hassle of a 64bit incompatibility when you have have a 32bit OS.

Including beta testing I have run Windows 7 x64 for over a year and have yet to have a single compatibility issue game or otherwise.
As to advising him to run 32 bit did you actually read the post? He has 8gb of RAM....what is he supposed to do have 4 3/4gb sitting there useless?
There have not been any real issues with 64bit since XP x64 and those were primarily driver issues.
He has all new hardware so there should be no issues of any type.
Score
June 18, 2010 4:15:55 PM

Best answer selected by big_mike.
Score
June 18, 2010 6:19:02 PM

anort3 said:
Including beta testing I have run Windows 7 x64 for over a year and have yet to have a single compatibility issue game or otherwise.
As to advising him to run 32 bit did you actually read the post? He has 8gb of RAM....what is he supposed to do have 4 3/4gb sitting there useless?
There have not been any real issues with 64bit since XP x64 and those were primarily driver issues.
He has all new hardware so there should be no issues of any type.

missed his system config so my bad. please install 64x to take advantage of the memory limitation. :bounce: 
Score
June 18, 2010 9:31:30 PM

Hello big_mike,

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.
Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP
I hope that helps you out!
You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 11:59:38 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!