Sports Rivalries

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

What are some famous sports rivalries, the ones where
even if the coach has a losing season, if his team
beats the rival he doesn't lose his job? I can think of:

Cowboys vs. Redskins
Red Sox vs. Yankees
Auburn vs. Alabama
Ohio State vs. Michigan

Others?

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <riobs0l9umk3vjcq2rnoah52la99cgcr3q@4ax.com>,
Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote:

> What are some famous sports rivalries, the ones where
> even if the coach has a losing season, if his team
> beats the rival he doesn't lose his job? I can think of:
>
> Cowboys vs. Redskins
> Red Sox vs. Yankees
> Auburn vs. Alabama
> Ohio State vs. Michigan

UNC vs. Duke (Basketball)
Syracuse vs. Johns Hopkins (Men's Lacrosse)
Eagles vs. Cowboys (NFL)
Minnesota vs. Minnesota-Duluth (Women's NCAA Ice Hockey)

Celtics vs. Lakers used to be a great rivalry, but beating the other
team is not enough to save your season in NBA hoops.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Jim Ward (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in message
<riobs0l9umk3vjcq2rnoah52la99cgcr3q@4ax.com>:

> What are some famous sports rivalries, the ones where
> even if the coach has a losing season, if his team
> beats the rival he doesn't lose his job? I can think of:
>
> Cowboys vs. Redskins
> Red Sox vs. Yankees
> Auburn vs. Alabama
> Ohio State vs. Michigan
>
> Others?

This is not specifically a US group. Please do not post puzzles whose
context is totally alien to anybody outside one particular nation among
many. I might just as well add Sussex vs. Kent, or Ipswich Town vs. Norwich
City to the above list. Would anybody in the US have heard of these teams
or even what sports they play?
--
Paul Townsend
Pair them off into threes

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <cq4oeg$h25$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>,
Prai Jei <pvstownsend@zyx-abc.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> This is not specifically a US group. Please do not post puzzles whose
> context is totally alien to anybody outside one particular nation among
> many.

Why the hell not? People post a lot of stuff here I don't care about; I
just ignore it. But just because I don't care about it doesn't mean
there aren't other people who do.

> I might just as well add Sussex vs. Kent, or Ipswich Town vs. Norwich
> City to the above list. Would anybody in the US have heard of these teams
> or even what sports they play?

Go ahead and add them if you want. He didn't say specifically that they
had to be in the U.S.

In message <riobs0l9umk3vjcq2rnoah52la99cgcr3q@4ax.com>, Jim Ward
<tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> writes
>What are some famous sports rivalries, the ones where
>even if the coach has a losing season, if his team
>beats the rival he doesn't lose his job? I can think of:
>
>Cowboys vs. Redskins
>Red Sox vs. Yankees
>Auburn vs. Alabama
>Ohio State vs. Michigan
>
>Others?

Rangers vs. Celtic
or is that too obvious?

Nick
--
Nick Wedd nick@maproom.co.uk

In rec.games.trivia Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@nyoashpoaom.com> wrote:
: What are some famous sports rivalries, the ones where
: even if the coach has a losing season, if his team
: beats the rival he doesn't lose his job? I can think of:
:
: Cowboys vs. Redskins
: Red Sox vs. Yankees
: Auburn vs. Alabama
: Ohio State vs. Michigan
:
: Others?

Lehigh vs. Lafayette
Harvard vs. Yale
Oklahoma vs. Texas
Army vs. Navy
Steelers vs. Raiders (in the Good Old Days, at least)

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."

Richard Schultz wrote:
> In rec.games.trivia Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@nyoashpoaom.com> wrote:
> : What are some famous sports rivalries, the ones where
> : even if the coach has a losing season, if his team
> : beats the rival he doesn't lose his job? I can think of:
> :
> : Cowboys vs. Redskins
> : Red Sox vs. Yankees
> : Auburn vs. Alabama
> : Ohio State vs. Michigan
> :
> : Others?
>
> Lehigh vs. Lafayette
> Harvard vs. Yale
> Oklahoma vs. Texas
> Army vs. Navy
> Steelers vs. Raiders (in the Good Old Days, at least)

Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State (college wrestling)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 05:19:16 +0000, Richard Schultz wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@nyoashpoaom.com> wrote:
> : What are some famous sports rivalries, the ones where even if the coach
> : has a losing season, if his team beats the rival he doesn't lose his
> : job? I can think of:
> :
> : Cowboys vs. Redskins
> : Red Sox vs. Yankees
> : Auburn vs. Alabama
> : Ohio State vs. Michigan
> :
> : Others?
>
> Lehigh vs. Lafayette
> Harvard vs. Yale
> Oklahoma vs. Texas

Texas vs. Texas A&M
any combo of Florida, FSU, Miami

> Army vs. Navy
> Steelers vs. Raiders (in the Good Old Days, at least)
>
> -----
> Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
> Department of Chemistry, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel Opinions
> expressed are mine alone, and not those of Bar-Ilan University -----
> "Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

All Blacks vs Wallabies
:p

"Justin Credible" <r_hughes@tpg.com.au> writes:

> All Blacks vs Wallabies
> :p

Wales v. England (if only for the Welsh)
--
Gareth Owen
When they ship styrofoam, what do they pack it in?

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <r5ivfav7mrj.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>,
usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk says...
> "Justin Credible" <r_hughes@tpg.com.au> writes:
>
> > All Blacks vs Wallabies
> > :p
>
> Wales v. England (if only for the Welsh)

Scotland v. England (if only for the Scots)
Ireland v. England (if only for the Irish)
Australia v. England ...

Am I beginning to detect a pattern here?

Regards

Matthew Newell