System Restore messed up everything

I just restored my winXP home to the no format version where all my old files
are moved to a folder called "my old disk structure" i cant access these
files or move them back to their original spot. so now i have a folder with
all my data and programs yet i cannot access them. anyone know how to make
these files accessible again and reconfigure my settings to recognise these
files??
6 answers Last reply
More about system restore messed everything

    I don't see any of these things your trying to get me to find to enable this.
    If efs is enables then how do i fix it?

    Take Ownership, #9 on this link:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Alison wrote:
    > I just restored my winXP home to the no format version where all my
    > old files are moved to a folder called "my old disk structure" i cant
    > access these files or move them back to their original spot. so now i
    > have a folder with all my data and programs yet i cannot access them.
    > anyone know how to make these files accessible again and reconfigure
    > my settings to recognise these files??

    As long as EFS is not involved:

    How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
    on a shared folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Alison wrote:
    > I don't see any of these things your trying to get me to find to
    > enable this. If efs is enables then how do i fix it?

    Are you getting an "Access Denied" message when trying to get to it?

    Did you read the NOTE on the link?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has
    administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an
    account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    I dont get any "access denied" message when i try and open my files i can
    open them but they arnt appearing as actually being installed in my computer
    they are just there. all my "rogram files","documents and settings" and any
    program i had i can see and use but they dont fully function and don't show
    up in my start menu or in add/remove programs. i'm the only user of this
    computer, so what are administrative credentials? and i do have winXP home,
    so if i restart in safe mode how can i ensure i have admin. rights?

    Alison wrote:
    > I don't get any "access denied" message when I try and open my files I
    > can open them but they aren't appearing as actually being installed in
    > my computer they are just there. all my "program files","documents and
    > settings" and any program I had I can see and use but they don't fully
    > function and don't show up in my start menu or in add/remove
    > programs. I'm the only user of this computer, so what are
    > administrative credentials? and I do have winXP home, so if I restart
    > in safe mode how can I ensure I have admin. rights?

    Your administrator credentials are "administrator" and likely a blank
    password.

    However, your description tells me that you now need to install your
    applications again - that all your "restore" did was reinstall/repair
    Windows XP - not your applications. Reinstall your applications from the
    corresponding installation media.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Support Microsoft System Restore Windows XP