  • USB
  • Maxtor
  • Windows XP
March 16, 2005 8:51:47 PM

I just bough a Maxtor 80GB "Personal Storage 3100" External Hard Drive
(USB). My intent was to have more storage for backups and images. I seem
to have come up with several obstacles that are in my way (listed below):

My BIOS doesn't list the device but both WindowsXP SP2 and my Windows98se
see the device fine (I had to download a driver from Maxtor for the Win98se
OS)

BING doesn't see the drive. I have checked the box for USB 2.0. Maxtor
says that the drive works with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 (I don't know how to find
out which I have)

I downloaded and installed IFW and it sees the drive. I don't know if IFD
will see it or not as I haven't installed it yet.

When I transfer files from my hard drive to the Maxtor drive, it takes at
least 10 minutes to copy a 677 megabyte file. I ran a diagnostic text from
Maxtor and it passed. I ran a "USB Ready" test on my Windows systems and
the test said that all was functioning properly. Maybe I don't have 2.0 USB
but how do I tell? Would the installation of a PCI USB adaptor card fix
this?

I need ideas on how to proceed. See my system specs below.
My system:

Dual boot setup with:
Windows 98 2nd edition w/all updates (1st partition)
Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 (3rd partition)
Compaq Presario 5888 700 mhz & 256 mgs ram
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 4.0 09/22/2000
27 gig. hard drive
Iomega Zip100 internal zip drive
Radeon 9000 AGP video card
Sound Blaster PCI 128 sound card
Internet Explorer 6 SP2
Outlook Express v. 6
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S
ARTEC WRR-52Z CD/RW
MAXTOR 80GB Personal Storage 3100 External USB Hard Drive

More about : maxtor external usb hard drive

March 16, 2005 8:51:48 PM

Congratulations, at least you've got the drive installed and usuable.

Now, if you didn't notice: try turning the power on the Maxtor after Windows
has booted. It will then notify you if you have a USB2 device on a USB1
port.

Chances are with the age of your Compaq, that it isn't USB2 compatible.
That will just make it slower to transfer data on and off [read or / write]
to the Maxtor. No other concerns.

You can go out and buy a PCI [plug-in] USB 2 or 4 port card if you really
want better performance.

As for a bootable USB drive, your BIOS / Mobo are again too old for this to
be recognised on power up.

As for backup to the USB drive, it will be fine with Norton Ghost as it
loads its own USB device drivers.

"Michael Seidner" wrote:

> I just bough a Maxtor 80GB "Personal Storage 3100" External Hard Drive
> (USB). My intent was to have more storage for backups and images. I seem
> to have come up with several obstacles that are in my way (listed below):
>
> My BIOS doesn't list the device but both WindowsXP SP2 and my Windows98se
> see the device fine (I had to download a driver from Maxtor for the Win98se
> OS)
>
> BING doesn't see the drive. I have checked the box for USB 2.0. Maxtor
> says that the drive works with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 (I don't know how to find
> out which I have)
>
> I downloaded and installed IFW and it sees the drive. I don't know if IFD
> will see it or not as I haven't installed it yet.
>
> When I transfer files from my hard drive to the Maxtor drive, it takes at
> least 10 minutes to copy a 677 megabyte file. I ran a diagnostic text from
> Maxtor and it passed. I ran a "USB Ready" test on my Windows systems and
> the test said that all was functioning properly. Maybe I don't have 2.0 USB
> but how do I tell? Would the installation of a PCI USB adaptor card fix
> this?
>
> I need ideas on how to proceed. See my system specs below.
> My system:
>
> Dual boot setup with:
> Windows 98 2nd edition w/all updates (1st partition)
> Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 (3rd partition)
> Compaq Presario 5888 700 mhz & 256 mgs ram
> BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 4.0 09/22/2000
> 27 gig. hard drive
> Iomega Zip100 internal zip drive
> Radeon 9000 AGP video card
> Sound Blaster PCI 128 sound card
> Internet Explorer 6 SP2
> Outlook Express v. 6
> LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S
> ARTEC WRR-52Z CD/RW
> MAXTOR 80GB Personal Storage 3100 External USB Hard Drive

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:29:42 AM

"Michael Seidner" <seidnerm@classicnet.net> wrote in message
>I just bough a Maxtor 80GB "Personal Storage 3100" External Hard Drive
> (USB). My intent was to have more storage for backups and images. I seem
> to have come up with several obstacles that are in my way (listed below):
>
> My BIOS doesn't list the device but both WindowsXP SP2 and my Windows98se
> see the device fine (I had to download a driver from Maxtor for the
> Win98se
> OS)
>
> BING doesn't see the drive. I have checked the box for USB 2.0. Maxtor
> says that the drive works with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 (I don't know how to
> find
> out which I have)
>
> I downloaded and installed IFW and it sees the drive. I don't know if IFD
> will see it or not as I haven't installed it yet.
>
> When I transfer files from my hard drive to the Maxtor drive, it takes at
> least 10 minutes to copy a 677 megabyte file. I ran a diagnostic text
> from
> Maxtor and it passed. I ran a "USB Ready" test on my Windows systems and
> the test said that all was functioning properly. Maybe I don't have 2.0
> USB
> but how do I tell? Would the installation of a PCI USB adaptor card fix
> this?
>
> I need ideas on how to proceed. See my system specs below.
> My system:
>
> Dual boot setup with:
> Windows 98 2nd edition w/all updates (1st partition)
> Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 (3rd partition)
> Compaq Presario 5888 700 mhz & 256 mgs ram
> BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 4.0 09/22/2000
> 27 gig. hard drive
> Iomega Zip100 internal zip drive
> Radeon 9000 AGP video card
> Sound Blaster PCI 128 sound card
> Internet Explorer 6 SP2
> Outlook Express v. 6
> LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S
> ARTEC WRR-52Z CD/RW
> MAXTOR 80GB Personal Storage 3100 External USB Hard Drive

March 17, 2005 12:42:24 AM

By default, most BIOS do not recognize USB hard drives. Some modern PCs
have BIOS that can be configured to boot from selected USB devices. Your PC
is too old to be one of those.

Win XP has automatic support for most USB devices, as you have already
discovered. Win98 can do USB, but usually requires drivers, again, as you
have already determined.

Given the age of the PC, it is likely that you have USB 1.1.

If you have a free PCI slot, you can install a USB 2.0 card. XP will see it
and use load its own drivers automatically. Win98 will want you to provide
drivers. You might also consider a dual USB 2.0 and firewire card.
Firewire is similar to USB 2.0 in speed and is more common among video
cameras and some other high end hardware. Some external drives can do both
USB and firewire. XP has native support for firewire, but Win98SE will need
drivers.

I get close to 1Gig/min from inside PC to external USB 2.0 drive (7200 rpm
rated external). I would guess you might get half of that, since your CPU
is slower, RAM is likely slower (goes with CPU usually), and your PCI bus is
certainly slower, given the age of the PC. Stil, a factor of 10 above your
current speed is quite possible.

Once you use USB 2.0 you will never want to go back to 1.1. You might even
want to get one of those "pen" drives. Many are USB 2.0 and they beat a
floppy for size and speed and durability. Finally, think about USB 2.0 CD
or DVD burners.

"Michael Seidner" <seidnerm@classicnet.net> wrote in message
>I just bough a Maxtor 80GB "Personal Storage 3100" External Hard Drive
> (USB). My intent was to have more storage for backups and images. I seem
> to have come up with several obstacles that are in my way (listed below):
>
> My BIOS doesn't list the device but both WindowsXP SP2 and my Windows98se
> see the device fine (I had to download a driver from Maxtor for the
> Win98se
> OS)
>
> BING doesn't see the drive. I have checked the box for USB 2.0. Maxtor
> says that the drive works with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 (I don't know how to
> find
> out which I have)
>
> I downloaded and installed IFW and it sees the drive. I don't know if IFD
> will see it or not as I haven't installed it yet.
>
> When I transfer files from my hard drive to the Maxtor drive, it takes at
> least 10 minutes to copy a 677 megabyte file. I ran a diagnostic text
> from
> Maxtor and it passed. I ran a "USB Ready" test on my Windows systems and
> the test said that all was functioning properly. Maybe I don't have 2.0
> USB
> but how do I tell? Would the installation of a PCI USB adaptor card fix
> this?
>
> I need ideas on how to proceed. See my system specs below.
> My system:
>
> Dual boot setup with:
> Windows 98 2nd edition w/all updates (1st partition)
> Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 (3rd partition)
> Compaq Presario 5888 700 mhz & 256 mgs ram
> BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 4.0 09/22/2000
> 27 gig. hard drive
> Iomega Zip100 internal zip drive
> Radeon 9000 AGP video card
> Sound Blaster PCI 128 sound card
> Internet Explorer 6 SP2
> Outlook Express v. 6
> LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S
> ARTEC WRR-52Z CD/RW
> MAXTOR 80GB Personal Storage 3100 External USB Hard Drive

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 10:12:20 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Two questions:
1. Is there a specific brand of PCI card to avoid or one that you heartily
recommend?

2. What is the BIOS setting "Legacy USB" for? It is currently enabled but
according to Compaq the default was disabled.

!