Converting desktop monitor to use with laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ummmpie

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
My laptop's monitor just died due to CCFL bulb (I was replacing it until I accidentally cracked the bulb, so in the mean time, I'm waiting for new CCFL bulb to arrive, probably take a month). I have a working desktop monitor that requires to be plugged into the power outlet. Is there a way I can strip the power pack at the back from the monitor and use it with the inverter board or something on the laptop and use the monitor as a replacement for the laptop? I don't mind getting into electronics. I know how to solder if that helps.

Solution

Then by all means, go ahead and tear up and ruin a perfectly good monitor and laptop and try to kludge together a Frankenstein that might not work at all for a month of convenience. :heink: :ouch: :non: instead of attaching the desktop monitor as it was meant to be used and waiting for the proper replacement parts for your laptop. :ange: :pfff:

ummmpie

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
That would require me to sit at the desk all the time. I'm not going to put it into a bag but I would love to move around the house or lie down onto the bed using it.

Then by all means, go ahead and tear up and ruin a perfectly good monitor and laptop and try to kludge together a Frankenstein that might not work at all for a month of convenience. :heink: :ouch: :non: instead of attaching the desktop monitor as it was meant to be used and waiting for the proper replacement parts for your laptop. :ange: :pfff:

Solution
Hi :)

Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard.....just connect to the VGA and you are done....

Oh and the voltages INSIDE a monitor can KILL you if you get it wrong....so good luck...

You have heard of the DARWIN awards ???

Put your name down for them BEFORE you try this...

All the best Brett :)

Status
Not open for further replies.