I am running XP Pro SP2 on a mixed network with two Win2k Domain Controllers
and a Win2k DNS. I also have a Win2k03 server but is just functioning as a
member server.

My problem is that I am trying to use remote assistance and keep getting the
message "The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable." All
machines are behind my firewall and on the same subnet/domain. All also have
"Allow remote connection" checked and the exception on the XP firewall is
enabled for port 3389?

I have tried to connect from the Win2k03 member server as well as XP Pro
workstations and I get the same message whether I use ip address of netbios
names?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
--
Mike Bannister

Royce

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

are you setup as a remote desktop user on all of these machines?

"Mike Bannister" wrote:

> I am running XP Pro SP2 on a mixed network with two Win2k Domain Controllers
> and a Win2k DNS. I also have a Win2k03 server but is just functioning as a
> member server.
>
> My problem is that I am trying to use remote assistance and keep getting the
> message "The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable." All
> machines are behind my firewall and on the same subnet/domain. All also have
> "Allow remote connection" checked and the exception on the XP firewall is
> enabled for port 3389?
>
> I have tried to connect from the Win2k03 member server as well as XP Pro
> workstations and I get the same message whether I use ip address of netbios
> names?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Bannister

Yes, I have made attempts as the domain administrator and under my user
account which also has domain admin priviliges. I even tried to connect to my
workstation from the Win2k03 server as under the domain admin account and got
the same message.

I have a firewall (Firebox x500) but that should not be in play as all
remote assistance connect attempts have been on my internal trusted network
side of the firewall. As I mentioned same subnet/domain (single domain
network)?

"Royce" wrote:

> are you setup as a remote desktop user on all of these machines?
>
> "Mike Bannister" wrote:
>
> > I am running XP Pro SP2 on a mixed network with two Win2k Domain Controllers
> > and a Win2k DNS. I also have a Win2k03 server but is just functioning as a
> > member server.
> >
> > My problem is that I am trying to use remote assistance and keep getting the
> > message "The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable." All
> > machines are behind my firewall and on the same subnet/domain. All also have
> > "Allow remote connection" checked and the exception on the XP firewall is
> > enabled for port 3389?
> >
> > I have tried to connect from the Win2k03 member server as well as XP Pro
> > workstations and I get the same message whether I use ip address of netbios
> > names?
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike