XP Windows Messenger Removal

After loading SP2 I can't seem to get rid of windows messenger. Any
suggestions?

john.v.stutsman wrote:
> After loading SP2 I can't seem to get rid of windows messenger. Any
> suggestions?

Windows Messenger?
A Google search for "how to remove windows messenger" came up with many
hits - one I would personally trust:

"windows messenger service"
http://www.gellert.net/support/ipmessaging.shtml
and
"windows messenger"
http://www.computerbb.org/about649.html
and especially:
http://www.computingondemand.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi John,

This should remove Messenger for you.
Disable/Remove Windows Messenger

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/

john.v.stutsman wrote:
> After loading SP2 I can't seem to get rid of windows
> messenger. Any suggestions?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> john.v.stutsman wrote:
>> After loading SP2 I can't seem to get rid of windows messenger. Any
>> suggestions?
>
> Windows Messenger?
> A Google search for "how to remove windows messenger" came up with many
> hits - one I would personally trust:
>
> "windows messenger service"
> http://www.gellert.net/support/ipmessaging.shtml
> and
> "windows messenger"
> http://www.computerbb.org/about649.html
> and especially:
> http://www.computingondemand.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69

Well, the first link you gave is useless, and I would tell the creator of
that page to get his/her advice correct. He/she gives instructions on how to
prevent Messenger service from running, not anything to do with *Windows
Messenger*.

Bert gave a great site for that particular issue.

Tom wrote:
> Well, the first link you gave is useless, and I would tell the
> creator of that page to get his/her advice correct. He/she gives
> instructions on how to prevent Messenger service from running, not
> anything to do with *Windows Messenger*.
>
> Bert gave a great site for that particular issue.

Not into reading, eh?

As the OP wasn't clear in what they wanted, I gave advice on how to remove
ALL the various applications/services that have been refered to as "windows
messenger".

The first is the Messenger Service - and is labeled as such in my response.
The second in Windows Messenger.
The last includes all the above as well as MSN messenger.

--
<- Shenan ->

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> john.v.stutsman wrote:
>> After loading SP2 I can't seem to get rid of windows messenger. Any
>> suggestions?
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>> Windows Messenger?
>> A Google search for "how to remove windows messenger" came up with
>> many hits - one I would personally trust:
>>
>> "windows messenger service"
>> http://www.gellert.net/support/ipmessaging.shtml
>> and
>> "windows messenger"
>> http://www.computerbb.org/about649.html
>> and especially:
>> http://www.computingondemand.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69
>
> Tom wrote:
>> Well, the first link you gave is useless, and I would tell the
>> creator of that page to get his/her advice correct. He/she gives
>> instructions on how to prevent Messenger service from running, not
>> anything to do with *Windows Messenger*.
>>
>> Bert gave a great site for that particular issue.
>
> Not into reading, eh?

I am very into reading, it seems you aren't though!

> As the OP wasn't clear in what they wanted, I gave advice on how to remove
> ALL the various applications/services that have been refered to as
> "windows messenger".

Well, if you were erudite enough about the terms used, you would know
Windows Messenger has nothing to do with Messenger Service.

Anyway, where did I make a statement about the OP? I only posted to you
regarding the first link you gave, which is this:
http://www.gellert.net/support/ipmessaging.shtml

> The first is the Messenger Service - and is labeled as such in my
> response.

Correct, now you suggest that website (as I pointed out the first) regarding
"Messenger Service", but the instructions that site has, is stated as
regarding "Windows Messenger", when in reality, it gives instructions
regarding Messenger Service. Here is the title of that webpage:

"How to Remove Windows Messenger on Windows XP"

Then it goes on with instructions on how to disable Messenger Service, blah,
blah, blah.

So, are those instructions for Removing Windows Messenger, or disabling
Messenger Service? It's titled incorrectly.

Note, the creator even places a paragraph titled "What is Windows
Messenger?", when the description below it reads regarding what Messenger
Service really is. Maybe now you'll understand why I said, "I would tell the
creator of that page to get his/her advice correct".

If you would have stuck to what I simply pointed out as the discrepancy of
the webpage you gave as a link, you would have avoided this.

<snipped>

Tom wrote:
> If you would have stuck to what I simply pointed out as the
> discrepancy of the webpage you gave as a link, you would have avoided
> this.

Avoided your babbling? Maybe.

But the fact is that the author of that web site is not the only one to have
"mislabeled" the service in the past - therefore I gave the OP what they
needed - an answer for each possible meaning of what they stated they needed
based off my past experience of posts in these newsgroups and the mistakes
made in "labels".

Therefore, it is my response to you that my original link was NOT worthless
and may have very well been exactly what the OP needed. Whether or not it
was is still to be seen and a moot point, as I covered all possible bases.

--
<- Shenan ->

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Tom wrote:
>> If you would have stuck to what I simply pointed out as the
>> discrepancy of the webpage you gave as a link, you would have avoided
>> this.
>
> Avoided your babbling? Maybe.

No, your inability to see mistakes, as the webpage gives wrong info for the
mentioned program, but that isn't important, but it is funny how you list
that (as one of) as something you would recommend, as you said "one I would
personally trust"; that is telling in itself !

<snipped babbling, most definitely!>

But then again, the subject line was "XP Windows Messenger Removal", which
is fairly clear, and your tendency to (want) to cover more ground than is
necessary if redeeming also. Did the OP say he was getting popups, NO,
anything remotely concerning MS, NO. But more importantly (and it funny I
have to point this out, since you need to cover all ground), he simply
stated he couldn't get rid of Windows Messenger after loading SP2! LOL, you
would THINK (with your extensive expertise) that you would KNOW that an SP2
install would have disabled Messenger Service anyway, so the problem was
obvious!

<maybe babbling off>