steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

I'm trying to come up with a list of famous people for whom it can be
said that they have 2 careers.

Example: Director/actor AND jazz musician (on Mondays) - Woody Allen.
I have 8 so far, but need perhaps another 12.

This is for the next Williams Trivia contest, starting at 11:45 PM on
January 21st. See
http://wso.williams.edu/orgs/trivia
for details.

Please send any responses to me at secretariat73@yahoo.com, along with
your name, so I can credit you for the question.

-Steve-

Steve wrote:

> I'm trying to come up with a list of famous people for whom it can be
> said that they have 2 careers.
>
> Example: Director/actor AND jazz musician (on Mondays) - Woody Allen.
> I have 8 so far, but need perhaps another 12.

[...]

Bernie Williams, Yankee centerfielder and jazz guitarist.
Noam Chomsky, professor of linguistics and political writer
Tobey Maguire, actor and professional poker player.
Victoria Coren, journalist and professional poker player
Ross Boatman, actor and professional poker player

If they don't have to be current,
Tom Lehrer, professor of maths and comic singer
Benjamin Disraeli, politician and novelist

> Please send any responses to me at secretariat73@yahoo.com, along with
> your name, so I can credit you for the question.

Ask here, get replies here.

Sign on, you crazy diamond

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

A couple of obscure ones:

Jim Lonborg - baseball pitcher (Red Sox 1967) and dentist
Tenley Albright - figure skater (Olympics 1956) and physician

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

I think that this a VERY dangerous question, likely to cause all sorts of
arguement, with little hope of a set of indisputable answers.

EG:
Many pro sportsmen go on to be journalists, commentators etc - does this
qualify as 2 careers? If so the list is as long as your arm.
Do acting/singing/dancing etc count as different careers of aspects of a
single "performance artist" career? Again if different the list is long.
Many politicians also have/had/go on to a "real life". Do these count a 2
careers? Again...

Simon

Steve (secretariat73@yahoo.com) writes:
> I'm trying to come up with a list of famous people for whom it can be
> said that they have 2 careers.
>
> Example: Director/actor AND jazz musician (on Mondays) - Woody Allen.
> I have 8 so far, but need perhaps another 12.
>
> This is for the next Williams Trivia contest, starting at 11:45 PM on
> January 21st. See
> http://wso.williams.edu/orgs/trivia
> for details.
>
> Please send any responses to me at secretariat73@yahoo.com, along with
> your name, so I can credit you for the question.

Ronald Reagan
Bengt Baron - Olympic gold in swimming, now Managing Director of
Vin- och Spritcentralen. Was ab MD somewhere else before that.
Gunde Svan - Olympic gold in skiing, now leading various TV shows.
Lasse Virén - Olympic gold on 10000 m, now a member of the Finnish
Parliament.
Ciccolina - Porn star and member of Italian Parliament.
Silvio Berlusconi - Company leader and Prime Minister.
Radovan Karadzic - Author, Psychatrist and genocide
Vuk Draskovic - Author, Foreign Minister of Serbia & Montenegro
Winston Churchill - Prime Minister and author.
Charles de Gaulle - General and President.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se

Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> Lasse Virén - Olympic gold on 10000 m,
> now a member of the Finnish Parliament.

Athletes almost always have to have a second career, since they
usually can't compete once they hit about age 35 or so (depending
on the sport, of course).

Some others who've gone into politics:

Sebastian Coe - British middle distance runner, later elected to
Parliament

Jim Bunning - baseball player, senator

Steve Largent - American football player, congressman

Bill Bradley, basketball player, senator and presidential
candidate

--
Dan Tilque

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message
> Harold Buck wrote:
>

> > Omar Sharif was a famous actor and world-class bridge player.
> > I don't know if he has a "career" in bridge, though.
>
> He co-wrote a syndicated bridge column. Sounds fairly careerish
> to me.

His name still appears on the syndicated bridge column. So far as I know,
he has never written a single word of it.

Dan Tilque (dtilque@nwlink.com) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>
>> Lasse Virén - Olympic gold on 10000 m,
>> now a member of the Finnish Parliament.
>
> Athletes almost always have to have a second career, since they
> usually can't compete once they hit about age 35 or so (depending
> on the sport, of course).

Correct. I could have listed a whole bunch football and ice hockey
players who have become coaches, but then again that could be said
to be the same career.

Then again, far from atheletes have a second career in the sense
that they reach some notable position. Not all are well-educated
and left school early to concentrate on their sport.

And then there are the really tragic cases of those who cannot handle
the retreat from the limelight, or already had problems during their
athletic career, and whose second "career" is mainly about abuse of
various substances.

--

Dan Tilque wrote:
> Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>> Lasse Virén - Olympic gold on 10000 m,
>> now a member of the Finnish Parliament.
>

> Athletes almost always have to have a second career, since they
> usually can't compete once they hit about age 35 or so (depending
> on the sport, of course).
>
> Some others who've gone into politics:
>
> Sebastian Coe - British middle distance runner, later elected to
> Parliament
>
> Jim Bunning - baseball player, senator
>
> Steve Largent - American football player, congressman
>
> Bill Bradley, basketball player, senator and presidential
> candidate

Alan Page, football player, state supreme court justice

--Jeff

--
It is only those who have neither
fired a shot nor heard the shrieks

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.
--Jose Narosky

The urge to save humanity is almost
always a false front for the urge to
rule.
--H.L. Mencken

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <10u465bkmpqco71@corp.supernews.com>,
"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote:

> Sebastian Coe - British middle distance runner, later elected to
> Parliament
>
> Jim Bunning - baseball player, senator
>
> Steve Largent - American football player, congressman
>
> Bill Bradley, basketball player, senator and presidential
> candidate

Tom Osbourne, who was the Nebraska football coach, a politician
(senator?), and he had that show on MTV. :)

And there are a lot of actors who went into politics, including Sonny
Bono and "Gopher" from Love Boat.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Dan Tilque wrote:
>> Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>>> Lasse Virén - Olympic gold on 10000 m,
>>> now a member of the Finnish Parliament.
>>

>> Some others who've gone into politics:
>>
>> Sebastian Coe - British middle distance runner, later elected
>> to Parliament
>>
>> Jim Bunning - baseball player, senator
>>
>> Steve Largent - American football player, congressman
>>
>> Bill Bradley, basketball player, senator and presidential
>> candidate
>
> Alan Page, football player, state supreme court justice

I found a whole page of pro athletes-turned-politician here:

http://politicalgraveyard.com/occ/pro-sports.html

Most you've probably never heard of but there's Jack Kemp, George
Wallace (former boxer), Morris Udall (former basketball player),
and Richard Petty (unsuccessful candidate for sec of state in
NC). The list also includes non-athletes who were involved in
other aspects of pro sports, such as Ronald Reagan being a sports
broadcaster. Also the "sport" of pro wrestling (Jesse Ventura).

One that's not on the list is J. C. Watts, football player (CFL),
congressman from Oklahoma. (Just noticed that Steve Largent is
not on the list either.)

--
Dan Tilque

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Well, the bonus is done. Thanks to all, especially Keith, Harold,
Erland, and Dan; all of whom suggested people I used, and who will be
credited as such.
I'll post the bonus itself after the contest on 1/22.

-Steven-

TRENDING THREADS