System Restore Won't Activate

I am running Windows XP Home Edition
I attempted to make adjustments to my system to try to enable links
in email messages (Outlook Express). Outlook Express does work, but, now I
can't get Internet Explorer to work so I can't access the WWW. Other than
Outlook Express I can't get
most programs, shortcuts, etc. to work other than a short hour glass run
and then
nothing. I go to start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore.
When I click on "system restore" I just get a short hour glass run and then
nothing.
I can get to Safe Mode, but, need help so as not to destroy everything more.

Any ideas? Thank you very much for your help.

Chris.

Have your run a Antivirus program on your computer or an antispyware
program?

--
Eric Renken
Microsoft Associate Expert.