trojans & viruses

March 16, 2005 9:29:02 PM

My computer got fixed a few weeks ago, and ever since, my antivirus (AVG) has
been catching all kinds of viruses and trojans. They go into the vault. Is
it OK to delete those files in the vault?
Today the only program I was running was the Spider Solitaire, and in the
middle of it, I got a message that AVG had caught another trojan, which I put
in the vault.
Did the company that fixed my computer do something? I also run my Ad-aware
twice a day, and it's always picking up stuff.
Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

More about : trojans viruses

March 16, 2005 9:39:01 PM

"koko" wrote:

> My computer got fixed a few weeks ago, and ever since, my antivirus (AVG) has
> been catching all kinds of viruses and trojans. They go into the vault. Is
> it OK to delete those files in the vault?
> Today the only program I was running was the Spider Solitaire, and in the
> middle of it, I got a message that AVG had caught another trojan, which I put
> in the vault.
> Did the company that fixed my computer do something? I also run my Ad-aware
> twice a day, and it's always picking up stuff.
> Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

What is Ad-Aware finding?
Just what did the repair company do? What was wrong in the first place?

Install a firewall.
Free Firewalls
ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
http://snipurl.com/6ohg

Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
http://smb.sygate.com/free/spf_download.php

Change your settings.

Open Internet Options from the Windows control panel and click the
"Security" tab. Highlight the "Internet" icon and then click "Custom Level".
Choose "Medium" from the drop-down box at the bottom, then click the "Reset"
button. Click "ok", then click "Custom Level" again.

Set your options just as I have listed below:

..NET Framework-reliant components

Run components not signed with Authenticode (Disable)
Run components signed with Authenticode (Prompt)

ActiveX controls and plug-ins.
Download signed ActiveX controls (Prompt)
Download unsigned ActiveX controls (Disable)
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe (Disable)
Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins (Enabled) (This actually refers to Java
and Flash, not ActiveX)
Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting (Prompt)

Miscellaneous
Access data sources across domains (Disable)
Drag and drop or copy and paste files (Prompt)
Installation of desktop items (Prompt)
Launching programs and files in an IFRAME (Prompt)
Navigate sub-frames across different domains (Prompt)
Software channel permissions (High safety)
Userdata persistance (Disable)

Scripting
Allow paste operations via script (Prompt)
Scripting of Java applets (Prompt)
March 16, 2005 10:23:03 PM

Thank you for your reply. Initially I suspected a faulty video card after I
ruled out the monitor, but when I put in a working video card, nothing
happened. The shop I took it to diagnosed the bad video card as I thought
AND a faulty memory chip. They said that the bad memory chip was why it
wouldn't work with the monitor.
-I have Zone Alarm already installed. The settings are on high.
-The Ad-Aware always picks up this one everyday.
RegKey : Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\popuppers.com

Yesterday it had: obj[0]=RegValue :
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
obj[2]=RegKey : SOFTWARE\AutoLoader
obj[6]=File : c:\docume~1\frankv~1\locals~1\temp\auf0.exe
-My custom level was already set at medium.
I have made the changes that you have suggested. Thank you.

!