welcome me to the linux club!!

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
ok i finally installed linux MANDRAKE 9.1 (third time lucky LOL)

anyway i finally worked out how to do it after a lot of hassles.

i am in KDE right now and was wondering a few things (SUPER NEWBIE HERE.... LOL....but not a dumb one)

i was wondering how i could switch to Gnome just to see it and see which i prefer.

i was wondering how to place an icon of a directory on my desktop because currently they are all under the /mnt/win_c blah blah blah

and i was wanting to be able to quickly access these files between the XP and Linux OS'S

i was wondering how i can access my home nework, i am running a default XP home network which shares a 56K line and was wondering if i could access the network, then from there access the internet (a dial in comand would be needed as currently i connect to the internet by pressing a button which asks the other computer to connect/disconnect)

Hmmmmmm yeah pretty much all the other things i think i can work out fine by myself (or ask when things arise)

oh yeha

YAY mandrake comes with GIMP pre-loaded (that is cool coz i have it on my XP OS and can use it between them both YE-HA)

ok thanks for any help

Alltaken

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
>>i was wondering how i could switch to Gnome just to see it and see which i prefer.

Depends. If you have X started automatically, then KDE should load it's "desktop loader" automatically. There, you should be able to pick whatever desktop environment you want. If you chose to not start X automatically, you can type the following at the command prompt:
<pre>startx gnome</pre><p>>>i was wondering how to place an icon of a directory on my desktop because currently they are all under the /mnt/win_c blah blah blah

I don't use KDE, but can't you just drag-n-drop. Or right click and choose "make shortcut" or "make alias"??? If you want to create sym-link using the command prompt, you can do the following:

<pre>cd .Desktop (or wherever KDE stores it's desktop directory)
ln -s /mnt/win_c/[path to folder]
</pre><p>>>i was wondering how i can access my home nework

As root, you need to modify your /etc/resolv.conf file (note there is no 'e' in the file.). If there is no such file, create one. Then you will have to enter the nameserver of your ISP and (optionally) a search domain. For example:
<pre>nameserver 128.223.x.1
nameserver 128.223.x.2
search comcast.com
</pre><p>Last, you need to configure your linux box so that it sees your windows box as the gateway. Since I don't use Mandrake, I don't know what file you will need to configure to setup the routing table. But I'm sure Mandrake has a very useful confuguring program that lets you easily set up the gateway.

Disregard my previous post.
<font color=blue>
And ya know this...man!

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
I'm not sure how smart XP home networking is (WinXP newbie here ;-) but can you get away with just using DHCP and letting the other XP box organize everything? I'm kind of guessing there... Otherwise, you can do it the old fasioned way and set it up as silverpig suggests.

BTW, A good resource for Mandrake users is <A HREF="http://www.mandrakeforum.com" target="_new">Mandrake Forum</A>. They'll be able to tell you the Mandrake way to do things. Each distro has it's own special tools for system configuration, and although "generic" instructions will work, it's often easier to start off using the distro GUI stuff.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Heh, thanks for the credit, but I suggested nothing :)

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
LOL. Yeah, maybe you should stop drinking all that Red Bull; you're getting me and SP mixed up!

Disregard my previous post.
<font color=blue>
And ya know this...man!

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Ah, yeah. Sorry 'bout that sTiCk_E_mOuSe.

It's not the <A HREF="http://www.redbull.com" target="_new">RedBull</A>, it's the mixer I have to add to slow me back down. :wink:

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>