Problem with Dell on-line ordering

Between the Shipping page and the Payment page the price of a
Dimension 8400 went from $2006 to $2255.80. The $99 ship cost, is part
of the increase, but Dell's web site offers no explanation for the
additional $150.80 (about 9.3%). If this is sales tax, an item not
mentioned in Dell's on-line order pages, it's wrong. The sales tax at
the ship-to address in California is 7.75%. Can anyone enlighten this
on-line-order freshman?
--David

Is there a mail-in rebate that could account for the difference?

"David Ellis" <scribblemonger@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Between the Shipping page and the Payment page the price of a
> Dimension 8400 went from $2006 to $2255.80. The $99 ship cost, is part
> of the increase, but Dell's web site offers no explanation for the
> additional $150.80 (about 9.3%). If this is sales tax, an item not
> mentioned in Dell's on-line order pages, it's wrong. The sales tax at
> the ship-to address in California is 7.75%. Can anyone enlighten this
> on-line-order freshman?
> --David

Go online and print out the invoice, then you can see what the other charges
are. That's what I did!!
Tom J

"David Ellis" <scribblemonger@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Between the Shipping page and the Payment page the price of a
> Dimension 8400 went from $2006 to $2255.80. The $99 ship cost, is part
> of the increase, but Dell's web site offers no explanation for the
> additional $150.80 (about 9.3%). If this is sales tax, an item not
> mentioned in Dell's on-line order pages, it's wrong. The sales tax at
> the ship-to address in California is 7.75%. Can anyone enlighten this
> on-line-order freshman?
> --David

either it is sales tax (collected from both the 'home/home office' division
and the 'small business' division for california) or there is a automatic
discount amount or percentage applied below the gross amount at the top of
the shopping cart page... the total price listed on the configuration pages
does reflect the value of a rebate if any applies. a rebate is listed as a
line item on the itemized details page. but right now there is free
shipping on the dimension 8400 at least from the home division. go to
home/homeofffice and start with this e-value code for a good deal
6V588-D8400MCF

"David Ellis" <scribblemonger@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Between the Shipping page and the Payment page the price of a
> Dimension 8400 went from $2006 to $2255.80. The $99 ship cost, is part
> of the increase, but Dell's web site offers no explanation for the
> additional $150.80 (about 9.3%). If this is sales tax, an item not
> mentioned in Dell's on-line order pages, it's wrong. The sales tax at
> the ship-to address in California is 7.75%. Can anyone enlighten this
> on-line-order freshman?
> --David

oops. that should read that the price listed on the configuration page and
the shopping cart page does NOT reflect the value of a rebate if a rebate
applies...

> either it is sales tax (collected from both the 'home/home office'
> division and the 'small business' division for california) or there is a
> automatic discount amount or percentage applied below the gross amount at
> the top of the shopping cart page... the total price listed on the
> configuration pages does reflect the value of a rebate if any applies. a
> rebate is listed as a line item on the itemized details page. but right
> now there is free shipping on the dimension 8400 at least from the home
> division. go to home/homeofffice and start with this e-value code for a
> good deal 6V588-D8400MCF
>

> "David Ellis" <scribblemonger@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Between the Shipping page and the Payment page the price of a
>> Dimension 8400 went from $2006 to $2255.80. The $99 ship cost, is part
>> of the increase, but Dell's web site offers no explanation for the
>> additional $150.80 (about 9.3%). If this is sales tax, an item not
>> mentioned in Dell's on-line order pages, it's wrong. The sales tax at
>> the ship-to address in California is 7.75%. Can anyone enlighten this
>> on-line-order freshman?
>> --David

I am a California lawyer currently involved in litigation with Dell over
this issue. Please contact me. I believe you may be having a problem
similar to those of some other clients of mine.

Thanks for your help.

Doug
mastroiannilaw@yahoo.com

what are the specifics of your current litigation with dell? who vs. dell?
i would like to read the court filings. thanks.

"mastadlaw" <mastroiannilaw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am a California lawyer currently involved in litigation with Dell over
> this issue. Please contact me. I believe you may be having a problem
> similar to those of some other clients of mine.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Doug
> mastroiannilaw@yahoo.com

ricardo

Don't worry about the difference in price. I also ordered a Dimension
8400 for $1502.80. I then received an e-mail confirming my order but the
price shown was $1580.00. In the end I was only charged the initial
price of $1502.80. Wait until they debit your credit card and check the
price there.

David,
Did your order included things like a "free" printer, or any additional items (wireless/network hardware) that are separately shipped from their manufacturers, such as software (MS Office or CD burning upgrades) or hardware (wireless/network equipment, speakers, etc...). Be aware that Dell is now charging taxes in about 13 states, which would include these items, for people who order through the home & small business site. That they did not before.

These items may incur additional shipping charges or taxes when the final total is computed. Even a "free" printer may be taxed at it's value, not what it actually costs to you, or an upgraded monitor (CRT to Flat Panel) shipped from another location, may have an additional shipping/taxes charges. Remember service contracts in some states are taxable.

Also remember, you are most likely taxed at the cost before rebates, even the instant rebate, not after the rebate is applied to your purchase.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Between the Shipping page and the Payment page the price of a
Dimension 8400 went from $2006 to $2255.80. The $99 ship cost, is part
of the increase, but Dell's web site offers no explanation for the
additional $150.80 (about 9.3%). If this is sales tax, an item not
mentioned in Dell's on-line order pages, it's wrong. The sales tax at
the ship-to address in California is 7.75%. Can anyone enlighten this
on-line-order freshman?
--David

David Ellis <scribblemonger@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Between the Shipping page and the Payment page the price of a
>Dimension 8400 went from $2006 to $2255.80. The $99 ship cost, is part
>of the increase, but Dell's web site offers no explanation for the
>additional $150.80 (about 9.3%). If this is sales tax, an item not
>mentioned in Dell's on-line order pages, it's wrong. The sales tax at
>the ship-to address in California is 7.75%. Can anyone enlighten this
>on-line-order freshman?

Did you check out the on-line invoice as Tom J suggested, David?

If so, how about an update post, telling us the results; what the
additional $150.80 was for, and if your worries were resolved or
if you think it is unwarranted.

After all, your post seems to have attracted an ambulance-chasing
lawyer [spit!], a species this NG has done without heretofore [at
least during my tenure]. For that, we ought to at least be
entitled to having our curiosity satisfied. ;->
--
OJ III