States and Names

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

A recent thread on another newsgroup led me to think of this one.

For which US states can you find people that share their names?
That is, one or more of the person's names is the same as that of
the state. The names can be first, middle, last, nick, or other.
The people can be real or fictional. The main restriction is that
the names be spelled the same as that of the states. Only one
person per state is needed.

To get things started, I'll note that there are numerous people
named Washington, including the eponymous George. Without trying
too hard, I can think of several others, so we don't need any
more Washingtons. I've found people for 8 other states -- can you
beat that number?

Extending this, how about Canadian provinces? Except for the
eponymous Princess Alberta, I can't think of anyone named the
same as one of them. There was a football player at the
University of Oregon named Onterrio Smith a couple years ago, but
that name fails on the spelling rule, even though it is
pronounced the same as Ontario.

Extending it further, how about country names? I've only come up
with 5, but haven't been thinking of this one as long as the
first queston, so there are probably more. (Explicitly excluded
are monarchs and other royalty of the countries in question. That
is, the King or Queen of X cannot be counted as a person named
X.)

--
Dan Tilque

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:30:15 -0800, Dan Tilque put fingers to keyboard and
said:

> A recent thread on another newsgroup led me to think of this one.
>
> For which US states can you find people that share their names? That is,
> one or more of the person's names is the same as that of the state. The
> names can be first, middle, last, nick, or other. The people can be real
> or fictional. The main restriction is that the names be spelled the same
> as that of the states. Only one person per state is needed.
>
> To get things started, I'll note that there are numerous people named
> Washington, including the eponymous George. Without trying too hard, I can
> think of several others, so we don't need any more Washingtons. I've found
> people for 8 other states -- can you beat that number?

A "rules of the road" question...

Let's assume there was a state called "East Lincoln". Do we need to come
up with a person who's name is "East Lincoln" or would good ol' Honest Abe
be an acceptable answer?

What about the case of "non-directional" two word states, like "New
Clinton" or "Bush Cheney"?

Lots of Virginias
There was a lady on real world (or was it road rules?) on MTV named
Montana. I don't know her full name

--
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
Bruce Bowler | To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <pan.2005.02.03.21.10.09.846806@bigelow.org>,
Bruce Bowler <bbowler@bigelow.org> wrote:

> Lots of Virginias
> There was a lady on real world (or was it road rules?) on MTV named
> Montana. I don't know her full name

Similarly, there are a million Dakotas these days.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message
> A recent thread on another newsgroup led me to think of this one.
>
> For which US states can you find people that share their names?

Montana Wildhack, character in Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five
Mississippi John Hurt, blues singer
Robert Indiana, artist
Georgia O'Keeffe, artist
Virginia Dare, famous infant of 1587
<various> Arizona, character in the Coen brothers' Raising Arizona

Bruce Bowler wrote:

> A "rules of the road" question...
>
> Let's assume there was a state called "East Lincoln". Do we
> need to come up with a person who's name is "East Lincoln" or
> would good ol' Honest Abe be an acceptable answer?
>
> What about the case of "non-directional" two word states, like
> "New Clinton" or "Bush Cheney"?

Has to be the complete name of the state.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque wrote:
> A recent thread on another newsgroup led me to think of this one.
>
> For which US states can you find people that share their names?
> That is, one or more of the person's names is the same as that of
> the state. The names can be first, middle, last, nick, or other.
> The people can be real or fictional. The main restriction is that
> the names be spelled the same as that of the states. Only one
> person per state is needed.

Duncan Idaho is a character in "Dune".
(I actually know of a real person named "Ida Ho", but I guess the
space in the middle would disqualify that one)

Joe Montana (football player)
Florida Evans (character on "Maude" and "Good Times")
Georgia O'Keeffe (artist)

> Extending this, how about Canadian provinces? Except for the
> eponymous Princess Alberta, I can't think of anyone named the
> same as one of them. There was a football player at the
> University of Oregon named Onterrio Smith a couple years ago, but
> that name fails on the spelling rule, even though it is
> pronounced the same as Ontario.

I guess Prince Edward doesn't count because he doesn't have the
"Island".

> Extending it further, how about country names? I've only come up
> with 5, but haven't been thinking of this one as long as the
> first queston, so there are probably more.

me
Cuba Gooding Jr (actor)
Marcus Brazil (Australian electrical engineer)
lots of Spanish-speaking people named Trinidad (or are you holding out
for Tobago as well?), e.g. Trini Lopez whose original name was Trinidad
Lopez III.
lots of people named Chad
Amol Mali (computer scientist)

Robert Israel israel@math.ubc.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel
University of British Columbia Vancouver, BC, Canada

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Extending it further, how about country names? I've only come up
> with 5, but haven't been thinking of this one as long as the
> first queston, so there are probably more. (Explicitly excluded
> are monarchs and other royalty of the countries in question. That
> is, the King or Queen of X cannot be counted as a person named
> X.)
John Ireland
Rich Wales
Mike England
Alan Brazil
Pat Holland
Joe Jordan
France Nuyen
Iran Barkley
Rob Norway

Forename possibles
India
China
Kenya

Using Google

Other surnames
Canada
Poland
Germany
Spain
Portugal
--
Ray

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> writes:

> A recent thread on another newsgroup led me to think of this one.
>
> For which US states can you find people that share their names?
> That is, one or more of the person's names is the same as that of
> the state. The names can be first, middle, last, nick, or other.
> The people can be real or fictional. The main restriction is that
> the names be spelled the same as that of the states. Only one
> person per state is needed.

Minnesota Fats
Georgia Taylor
Joe Montana
Tennessee Ernie Ford
Doyle 'Texas Dolly' Brunson
Virginia Woolfe
Kentucky Jones
Sumiko California

> Extending it further, how about country names? I've only come up
> with 5

Germany Schaeffer
Chad Curtis
Mike England
Jill Ireland
Mark Portugal
Alan Brazil
Cuba Gooding Jr.

M. Khan Is Bent

mUs1Ka wrote:

> John Ireland
> Rich Wales
> Mike England
> Alan Brazil
> Pat Holland
> Joe Jordan
> France Nuyen
> Iran Barkley
> Rob Norway

None of the above names mean anything to me. Could you give a
very brief explanation for them, just a word or two. Well, you
can skip Joe Jordan, as there's this other Jordan (some guy named
Mike) that I have heard of.

> Forename possibles
> India

I think there is someone semi-famous named India, but my brain
fails to bring up a full name. ::sounds of googling:: It seems
there's a Puerto Rican salsa singer with the single name India.
Perhaps that's who I was thinking of.

> China

This reminded me of China Miéville, an sf author. He was not on
the list of names I had before posting this question.

--
Dan Tilque

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> writes:
>

>>A recent thread on another newsgroup led me to think of this one.
>>
>>For which US states can you find people that share their names?
>>That is, one or more of the person's names is the same as that of
>>the state. The names can be first, middle, last, nick, or other.
>>The people can be real or fictional. The main restriction is that
>>the names be spelled the same as that of the states. Only one
>>person per state is needed.
>

> Minnesota Fats
> Georgia Taylor
> Joe Montana
> Tennessee Ernie Ford
> Doyle 'Texas Dolly' Brunson
> Virginia Woolfe
> Kentucky Jones
> Sumiko California

Utah Philips

--Jeff

--
It is only those who have neither
fired a shot nor heard the shrieks

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.
--Jose Narosky

The urge to save humanity is almost
always a false front for the urge to
rule.
--H.L. Mencken

Keith Willoughby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
> Minnesota Fats
> Georgia Taylor
> Joe Montana
> Tennessee Ernie Ford
> Doyle 'Texas Dolly' Brunson
> Virginia Woolfe
> Kentucky Jones
> Sumiko California
>
>> Extending it further, how about country names? I've only come up
>> with 5
>
> Germany Schaeffer
> Chad Curtis
> Mike England
> Jill Ireland
> Mark Portugal
> Alan Brazil
> Cuba Gooding Jr.

Georgia Taylor is for reuse I think.

There are a lot of people named Israel.

From http://www.scb.se/templates/Standard____31245.asp I can make out
that there is one woman in Sweden with the first name Korea. The
same page tells me that there are two men with the first name Nippon,
although none of them have it as the name of address. And there are
no less than nine women that are named Usa; all them also has it as
the name of address.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Dan Tilque:
> > Extending it further, how about country names? I've only come up
> > with 5, but haven't been thinking of this one as long as the
> > first queston, so there are probably more. (Explicitly excluded
> > are monarchs and other royalty of the countries in question. That
> > is, the King or Queen of X cannot be counted as a person named
> > X.)

"Ray":
> John Ireland
> Rich Wales
> Mike England
> Alan Brazil
> Pat Holland
> Joe Jordan
> France Nuyen
> Iran Barkley
> Rob Norway

Panama Smith.

> Forename possibles
> India
> China
> Kenya

Israel works both ways -- Robert Israel, of this newsgroup, and I used
to know a man whose first name was Israel. His desk at work eventually
accumulated a collection of newspaper headlines...

> Using Google
>
> Other surnames
> Canada

Without Google I can name actor Ron Canada.

--
Mark Brader | "...where did they get the sunlight in such a hurry? I know
msb@vex.net | it can be delivered in about eight minutes, but there must

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Dan Tilque:
> > For which US states can you find people that share their names?
> > That is, one or more of the person's names is the same as that of
> > the state. The names can be first, middle, last, nick, or other.
> > The people can be real or fictional. The main restriction is that
> > the names be spelled the same as that of the states. Only one
> > person per state is needed.

Keith Willoughby:
> Minnesota Fats

New York Fats. (The one is real, the other fictional.)

Pennsylvania Slim.

> Georgia Taylor
> Joe Montana
> Tennessee Ernie Ford
> Doyle 'Texas Dolly' Brunson
> Virginia Woolfe
> Kentucky Jones

Indiana Jones. Nevada Smith.

--
Mark Brader | "Do I look stupid?"
Toronto | "Yes, actually, a little. It's one of your
| -- Spider Robinson, "Lady Slings the Booze"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Dan Tilque:
> > > Extending it further, how about country names? I've only come up
> > > with 5, but haven't been thinking of this one as long as the
> > > first queston, so there are probably more. (Explicitly excluded
> > > are monarchs and other royalty of the countries in question. That
> > > is, the King or Queen of X cannot be counted as a person named
> > > X.)

Oh, and in addition to those already posted: El Salvador!!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | " have a will of iron."
msb@vex.net | "And a head to match." --Robert B. Parker, "Chance"

<israel@math.ubc.ca> wrote in message

> > Extending this, how about Canadian provinces? Except for the
> > eponymous Princess Alberta, I can't think of anyone named the
> > same as one of them. There was a football player at the
> > University of Oregon named Onterrio Smith a couple years ago, but
> > that name fails on the spelling rule, even though it is
> > pronounced the same as Ontario.
>
> I guess Prince Edward doesn't count because he doesn't have the
> "Island".

Perhaps you could use I. M. PEI for that one...

\

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> writes:
>
> > A recent thread on another newsgroup led me to think of this one.
> >
> > For which US states can you find people that share their names?
> > That is, one or more of the person's names is the same as that of
> > the state. The names can be first, middle, last, nick, or other.
> > The people can be real or fictional. The main restriction is that
> > the names be spelled the same as that of the states. Only one
> > person per state is needed.
>
> Minnesota Fats
> Georgia Taylor
> Joe Montana
> Tennessee Ernie Ford
> Doyle 'Texas Dolly' Brunson
> Virginia Woolfe
> Kentucky Jones
> Sumiko California

Also the late Randy California
Russell Maryland
If you want to get really obscure, Don Adams competed against "Wisconsin
Skinny" in a commercial for Skittle Pool in the 60's.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> writes:

> mUs1Ka wrote:
>
>> John Ireland
>> Rich Wales
>> Mike England
>> Alan Brazil
>> Pat Holland
>> Joe Jordan
>> France Nuyen
>> Iran Barkley
>> Rob Norway
>
> None of the above names mean anything to me. Could you give a
> very brief explanation for them, just a word or two. Well, you
> can skip Joe Jordan, as there's this other Jordan (some guy named
> Mike) that I have heard of.

England, Brazil, Holland, and Jordan are soccerball players.

>> Forename possibles
>> India
>
> I think there is someone semi-famous named India, but my brain
> fails to bring up a full name. ::sounds of googling:: It seems
> there's a Puerto Rican salsa singer with the single name India.
> Perhaps that's who I was thinking of.

There's the singer India Arie.

It's the only language they understand

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <110643pamink36a@corp.supernews.com>,
"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote:

> mUs1Ka wrote:
>
> > John Ireland

There's a John Ireland Blvd. in St. Paul, MN. That might help you figure
out who he is.

"DokterZ" <dzahn@execpczzz.com> writes:

> Also the late Randy California

That's not his real name though.
He was in a band with two Randy's and someone -- legend says Jimi Hendrix --
started calling them by their state of origin to distinguish between them.

--
Gareth Owen
Nuclear weapons can wipe out life on Earth, if used properly.

Edmund Lewis wrote:
> Rob Norway?
> Do you mean Rob Denmark (British athlete)?
That is who I was trying to think of. I did a quick Google and found a Rob
Norway (US - non-famous), so I left him in.
Thanks.
--
Ray

"Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> "DokterZ" <dzahn@execpczzz.com> writes:
>
> > Also the late Randy California
>
> That's not his real name though.
> He was in a band with two Randy's and someone -- legend says Jimi
Hendrix --
> started calling them by their state of origin to distinguish between them.

I know - but the original post did say nicknames were permissable.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Dan Tilque sez:

<<
>For which US states can you find people that share their names?
>That is, one or more of the person's names is the same as that of
>the state. The names can be first, middle, last, nick, or other.
>The people can be real or fictional. The main restriction is that
>the names be spelled the same as that of the states. Only one
>person per state is needed.
>
>To get things started, I'll note that there are numerous people
>named Washington, including the eponymous George. Without trying
>too hard, I can think of several others, so we don't need any
>more Washingtons. I've found people for 8 other states -- can you
>beat that number?

Do talking animals count? (Michigan J. Frog, of course...)

----
Farewell to the undefeated, undisputed king of late night...
RIP Johnny Carson (1925-2005)

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Here's a summary of the answers given in this recent thread.
Since I'm restricting it to one name per state/country, some
answers suggested are not listed. Sorry I don't give credit for
the contributions, but that was more work than I wanted to put
into this.

People named the same as US states
==================================
Nathan Arizona (F "Raising Arizona")
Sumiko California (songwriter)
Florida Evans (F "Maude", "Good Times")
Georgia O'Keeffe (artist)
Duncan Idaho (F _Dune_) *
Indiana Jones (F "Raiders of the Lost Ark") *
Kentucky Jones (FN "Kentucky Jones", 1960s TV show)
Russell Maryland (American football player)
Michigan J. Frog (F "One Froggy Evening")
Minnesota Fats (F "The Hustler") *
Mississippi John Hurt (blues singer)
Joe Montana (American football player) *
Nevada Smith (F "Nevada Smith") *
New York Fats (N pool player)
Pennsylvania Slim (N blues player)
Tennessee Williams (N author) *
Doyle 'Texas Dolly' Brunson (N poker player)
Utah Philips (folk musician)
Virginia Woolf (author) *
George Washington (general, president)
Wyoming Knott (F _Moon is a Harsh Mistress_) *

People named the same as countries
==================================
Alan Brazil (footie player)
Ben Canada (former Superintendant of Portland Public Schools) *
Chad Curtis (baseball player)
China Miéville (sf author)
Cuba Gooding Jr. (actor) *
Rob Denmark (British athlete)
Mike England (footie player)
France Nuyen (actress)
Georgia O'Keeffe (artist)
Germany Schaefer (N baseball player)
Pat Holland (footie player)
India (N Puerto Rican salsa singer)
Iran Barkley (boxer)
Jill Ireland (actress) *
Robert Israel (infamous netizen)
Roy Liechtenstein (artist) *
Michael Jordan (basketball player) *
Amol Mali (professor of computer science, UW-Milwaukee)
Nevil Shute Norway (author (as Nevil Shute))
Mark Portugal (baseball player)
Panama Smith (F "The Roaring Twenties")
Trinidad "Trini" Lopez (singer/guitarist)
Rich Wales (comedian) **

* Those on my preliminary lists. It turns out that there were
only two that no one suggested: Wyoming Knott and Roy
Liechtenstein. Well, no one suggested Ben Canada (which I didn't
expect anyone to do), but Mark contributed a different Canada.

** I couldn't find any Internet evidence for a comedian named
Rich Wales, but there is someone else out there with the same
name.

F - fictional person
N - nickname

There are 21 states and 23 countries represented. I have a
feeling there are more out there. Any more additions?

--
Dan Tilque