So what about the Doom ]I[ benches we saw?

rain_king_uk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
The recent revelations coming from the HL-2 benches, make me think that the GFFX's "optimisations" for Doom ]I[ are similar to the ones Valve are implementing - eg: lower quality results. Does this cast the GFFX success on Doom ]I[ in a different light?

What do you think is going on?

cleeve

Illustrious
By the time those benches were released, Carmack had already stated that the NV30 code path used 16 bit floating point extensively for a performance boost, but that when both cards (the 5800 and 9700) were used in the default code path, the 9700 was faster.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

We always thought that the D]|[ benchies weren't indicative of much of anything. They are optimized for nV/FX hardware (likely the nV path) and thus aren't indicative of expected performance in the final product. They did do IQ tests back then, but they would likely not show much diff.

So What? WEll, Just like we thought, they aren't worth very much in the overall scheme of things.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: