Problem with resolution choices.

BradBo

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
I have a Best Data nVidia GeForce 4 MX440 running under XP, with a Neovo F-15 LCD monitor.
I have the latest drivers running for both.
The problem is I only have 2 choices of resolution.

1-800x600
2-1024x768
The first one is way to fuzzy and the second one the fonts in all the programs are too small to read.
Do you think I need to get a better video card so I can have a resolution some where between?
Thanks
Brad

LCDs don't scale well outside their native resolution. Either use the smart font tool (or whatever it's called) in Windows or stay at native resolution. If it's too small that's unfortunate, but really you sound like you need a CRT (no native res. just min./max). Not really a card problem it's a monitor issue, althought the MXs ain't great either.

That's my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
It's possible that your new monitor drivers aren't installed. TO find out what monitor driver your system has selcted:

1. Right click on a blankspot on the desktop. (Brings Menu)
2. Select "Properties" option
3. Select "Settings" tab
4. Look at the middle of the settings men and you should see an option called "Display" that has a pull-down menu
5. Tell me what monitors show up under this tab.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

BradBo

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
I have loaded the drivers for the monitor from Neovo site.
What is wierd is I used the monitor 2 days ago with my Gateway 350mhz Intel machine and never the problem with small fonts in the programs.Been using it for a year now.
I can scale size in the XP gui but its the programs with no font control that then show too small in the 1024 bt 768 mode.
I built this machine yesterday and that is why I was wondering if it is the cheap video card that is limiting my resolution choices.
I will go back in a second and get a "good" video card if it gives me another resolution choice.
I have one month to exchange the card.
Thanks for the responses.
Brad

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
GeForce4 MX440 should be able to do 1 1/2 or 2 dozen resolution settings starting all the way from 320x200 all the way up 2048x1536. Most monitors that I've seen can't go all the way up to 2048x1536.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by UFO_WARVIPER on 09/13/03 00:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Under the Display tab I was speaking of you should see something like: "Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440 on Neuvo-15 LCD". Did that show up? Also go to the Monitor tab and select the LCD type display as your default.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Also remember that you must select to 'Show Resolutions not supported by this monitor' in most cases in order to get all the possibilities.

Anywhoo, even the MX should have no problem with those 2 resolutions in 2D. It does sound like a monitor thing Neuvo is not that great a maker, but since it was fine on another rig who knows, perhaps it's a crummy OEM build of the GF4MX. Do a little fiddling and if you can't figure it out just try it with another monitor (if you can beg/borrow or... well stick with those two). IF you do decide to upgrade come back here for some suggestions. Matrox and ATI have better Image Quality in most 2D stuuff (and alot of other situations) however try to fix the problem before going through an annoying return.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Yep, I'm guilty of that. But what I said is true. And he doesn't need a Parhelia, however alot of their lesser cards would be in the MX's class. I think the ATI's would be the money-wise choice, but for absolute clarity the Matrox's really can't be beat IMNSHO.

I'm kind stumped as to his issue though, but it could be those two things I mentioned, if it worked well on another card it's definitely not my first guess.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Bring a friend's monitor over like the other guys suggested. Install the Plug and Play Monitor drivers and that should give us some clues.