HL 2 benchmarks

Chizman

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2003
A couple of question/comments about the HL 2 benchmarks. First, why were they so stingy with time limitations, and second where are the 9800 Pro 256 MB that they keep telling us we need to shell out $450-$500 for to play "the next generation of DX9 games." Why aren't they touting off about the 256 MB card? The benchmarks must have not exactly stood out from the rest, for a card that has been specifically marketed for DX9 games. I loved that THG had an ad banner advertising the GeForce FX 5900 playing while I was reading about how my ATI 9800 Pro trounces it.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
A $150 Radeon 9600 Pro should do just fine. Nothing more is really essential for running DX9 on wonderful settings. Sure, better cards are faster, and some are even worth their price tag like the 9700 non-pro. But budget buyers should rejoice over the 9600 Pro. I wish that was what I would have gotten.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

eden

Champion
And most overclocked the 9600PRO. I am tempted to wonder just what a 500MHZ core with high-mem clock 9600PRO would perform like against the 9800PRO! :eek:

BTW that video Valve released, damn the wind sound was environmental! It felt like a lonely town indeed!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Since the Radeon 9800 Pro has 8 pipelines compared to the 9600 Pro' 4, I have doubts that a super Oc'd 9600 Pro would beat or even come close a 9800 Pro. But than again I could be wrong. Psychologically, I think 8 pipelines must be double the perfomance of 4 pipes, but that is theoretically perhaps. But the 9600 Pro seems to score about 2/3 of the 9800 Pro right now in HL2 benchmarks. What I'd really like to see just for tests sake to see how efficient pipelines are. For example benchmark a 9800 Pro with all pipes enabled against a 9800 Pro with only 4 pipes(hacked drivers of course) just to see exactly how much affect pipelines have on % performance gain.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Gimme the benchmark and I can tell you how a 500+/350+ R9600P does. :wink:

Did ya' notice the performance against the R9700P there, did ya'? Huh Did ya? :cool:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I'm really dissapointed that the game was tested only on High-end CPUs. I would have liked to see some DX7 & more DX8 cards thrown into the performance anlyses of the websites that have posted benchmarks.

eden

Champion
You're not being cohesive with your post d00d!
First you say you are disappointed with the lack of using old systems (CPUs) then you state why did they not use DX7 or DX8 cards. Where's the plotline! :eek:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

eden

Champion
*Prods GrapeApe, in an ironic twist, over the Looney Tunes grand canyon*

--

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Hey, I'm not saying take the fast system out of the picture. I'm saying It would be good to have a test with a low-end, mid-range, and high-end CPUS each tested with a variety of DX7, DX8, & DX9 cards to get a better idea of how the game will run on most people's systems. Its not like everyone has a 2.8Ghz or 3.2GHz system that was used in the benchmark. YES, by all means the high-end system should be benchmarked of course. Almost everybody's benchamrks pretty much tested the same cards. Is that more clear now?