Something Is Running In The Background but I Can't find it

Hi,

I have a new Dell PC with Windows XP professional all connected to a
Wireless Router and Wirelss Printer.

Everything has been running very fast until a few days ago, when I started
hearing sounds in my hard drive like something was running even though I was
only at my desktop not doing anything at that moment. The system is also
running somewhat slower. I assume there must be a program loading or running
but can't find out to troubleshoot this. I have down some things on my own,
like disable the MacAfee Virus Scanner / Firewall; and run Adaware and
Spy-Bot to check for spyware. I even when into the running processes window
and for the most part, can pretty much account for most of the applications
or processes that are running (I looked up what each of them met). So, where
can i go from here?
3 answers Last reply
More about something running background find

    Hi,

    Try Process Monitor (Pmon) here:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a new Dell PC with Windows XP professional all connected to a
    > Wireless Router and Wirelss Printer.
    >
    > Everything has been running very fast until a few days ago, when I started
    > hearing sounds in my hard drive like something was running even though I
    > was
    > only at my desktop not doing anything at that moment. The system is also
    > running somewhat slower. I assume there must be a program loading or
    > running
    > but can't find out to troubleshoot this. I have down some things on my
    > own,
    > like disable the MacAfee Virus Scanner / Firewall; and run Adaware and
    > Spy-Bot to check for spyware. I even when into the running processes
    > window
    > and for the most part, can pretty much account for most of the
    > applications
    > or processes that are running (I looked up what each of them met). So,
    > where
    > can i go from here?

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a new Dell PC with Windows XP professional all connected to a
    > Wireless Router and Wirelss Printer.
    >
    > Everything has been running very fast until a few days ago, when I started
    > hearing sounds in my hard drive like something was running even though I
    > was
    > only at my desktop not doing anything at that moment. The system is also
    > running somewhat slower. I assume there must be a program loading or
    > running
    > but can't find out to troubleshoot this. I have down some things on my
    > own,
    > like disable the MacAfee Virus Scanner / Firewall; and run Adaware and
    > Spy-Bot to check for spyware. I even when into the running processes
    > window
    > and for the most part, can pretty much account for most of the
    > applications
    > or processes that are running (I looked up what each of them met). So,
    > where
    > can i go from here?

    Did you do something (like install a program, etc) a "few days ago"? Look
    back, and see. if you did, uninstall it, do a system restore ro right before
    that install (it is possible that it will show up in SR as that installed
    item).

    Other than that, try also turning off indexing service.

    Start/Run and type (no quotes) "services.msc", and hit enter. Scroll down to
    Indexing Service, right click on it, choose properties. Click to "Stop" the
    service, and in the "Startup type" drop down box, choose "Disable", and OK
    out. See if that helps.

    "Frank" wrote:
    > Everything has been running very fast until a
    > few days ago, when I started hearing sounds
    > in my hard drive like something was running
    > even though I was only at my desktop not
    > doing anything at that moment. The system is
    > also running somewhat slower. I assume there
    > must be a program loading or running but can't
    > find out to troubleshoot this. I have done some
    > things on my own, like disable the MacAfee
    > Virus Scanner / Firewall; and run Adaware
    > and Spy-Bot to check for spyware. (snip)

    Given that you've checked all the normal things, have you also checked to
    see if Windows Update or the auto update feature of some program is trying
    to download and install in the background? If so, this would certainly cause
    disk activity and decrease performance somewhat. Many forget to check this
    and I've never seen an MVP here even mention it.

    Stewart

Windows XP