ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

i'm running xp home with service pack 2 and have been for a while now. i
turned my computer on this morning and it now says my firewall is turned off.
i have tried to turn it on but it won't. i follow the instructions but it
still doesn't work. can any one help please.

cheers

the netsh command in SP2 can rebuild your Winsock. Open the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset , then press ENTER.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"ken" <ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D5B755A-1079-4D41-BE73-DF987F02F3A9@microsoft.com...
> i'm running xp home with service pack 2 and have been for a while now. i
> turned my computer on this morning and it now says my firewall is turned off.
> i have tried to turn it on but it won't. i follow the instructions but it
> still doesn't work. can any one help please.
>
> cheers

Switch to SPF (Sygate Personal Firewall). Windows firewall doesn't alert you
on everything that accesses the internet or accesses you.
I turned Windows firewall off and use spf. You can turn of the windows
firewall alert thingy too.

"ken" <ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i'm running xp home with service pack 2 and have been for a while now. i
> turned my computer on this morning and it now says my firewall is turned
> off.
> i have tried to turn it on but it won't. i follow the instructions but it
> still doesn't work. can any one help please.
>
> cheers

In addition, type SERVICES.MSC in the run box, click OK and make sure
"Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing " service is started and
running.

--
HTH
Meena