2 Errors I've been getting, please help!

March 17, 2005 7:47:02 AM

The first error message is one I've been getting sometimes while playing a
demo of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and recently it's also been happening
while using Firefox.
The error message is similar to this:

The instruction at "0x-random numbers-" referenced at "0x00000000". The
memory could not be "read". Click OK to cancel the application. Click Cancel
to debug.

The game/Firefox then closes, and I have to reopen them. While playing the
SCCT demo, this error only happens when using the "EEV Scanner". At first I
thought it might be a problem with the demo itself, but now that it's
happening with Firefox too, I'm not so sure.

The second error I've been getting has only happened in one game -
"Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls III". I can't remember the message exactly, but
in it are the words "exception breakpoint reached", and I have to close it.
This message appears randomly, but thankfully not too often.

My system specs are as follows:
Windows XP SP2
P4 2.8Ghz
512mb RAM
Geforce 6600GT 128mb AGP8x

If somebody can help, I would be very grateful.

More about : errors

March 17, 2005 11:04:21 AM

"Don Karnia" <Don Karnia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The first error message is one I've been getting sometimes while playing a
> demo of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and recently it's also been happening
> while using Firefox.
> The error message is similar to this:
>
> The instruction at "0x-random numbers-" referenced at "0x00000000". The
> memory could not be "read". Click OK to cancel the application. Click
> Cancel
> to debug.
>
> The game/Firefox then closes, and I have to reopen them. While playing the
> SCCT demo, this error only happens when using the "EEV Scanner". At first
> thought it might be a problem with the demo itself, but now that it's
> happening with Firefox too, I'm not so sure.
>
> The second error I've been getting has only happened in one game -
> "Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls III". I can't remember the message exactly,
> but
> in it are the words "exception breakpoint reached", and I have to close
> it.
> This message appears randomly, but thankfully not too often.
>
> My system specs are as follows:
> Windows XP SP2
> P4 2.8Ghz
> 512mb RAM
> Geforce 6600GT 128mb AGP8x
>
> If somebody can help, I would be very grateful.

Have you gotten the latest drivers from Nvidia for your video card,
especially those for SP2?

If not, download, install the latest drivers, and post back with results.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:04:22 AM

I am currently using drivers 67.66 from Guru3d.com, because the latest driver
set on the nVidia website (66.93) has a bug that shows graphical problems in
games. There are newer drivers on Guru3d.com, but I'm not sure that it would
be a driver issue, seeing as it happens on the Firefox browser, not only the
SCCT demo.

"Tom" wrote:

> "Don Karnia" <Don Karnia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The first error message is one I've been getting sometimes while playing a
> > demo of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and recently it's also been happening
> > while using Firefox.
> > The error message is similar to this:
> >
> > The instruction at "0x-random numbers-" referenced at "0x00000000". The
> > memory could not be "read". Click OK to cancel the application. Click
> > Cancel
> > to debug.
> >
> > The game/Firefox then closes, and I have to reopen them. While playing the
> > SCCT demo, this error only happens when using the "EEV Scanner". At first
> > thought it might be a problem with the demo itself, but now that it's
> > happening with Firefox too, I'm not so sure.
> >
> > The second error I've been getting has only happened in one game -
> > "Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls III". I can't remember the message exactly,
> > but
> > in it are the words "exception breakpoint reached", and I have to close
> > it.
> > This message appears randomly, but thankfully not too often.
> >
> > My system specs are as follows:
> > Windows XP SP2
> > P4 2.8Ghz
> > 512mb RAM
> > Geforce 6600GT 128mb AGP8x
> >
> > If somebody can help, I would be very grateful.
>
> Have you gotten the latest drivers from Nvidia for your video card,
> especially those for SP2?
>
> If not, download, install the latest drivers, and post back with results.

Related resources
March 17, 2005 11:28:48 AM

It is worth a try, but, uninstall the video card drivers completely, then
reinstall with the latest drivers you have now (the 67.66 version).

As an aside, is hte driver you are using been tested properly for use with
XP (IOWs WHQL certed)?

"Don Karnia" <DonKarnia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 62FCA55-7906-4AF8-A34A-6D0F7BB8E3D2@microsoft.com...
>I am currently using drivers 67.66 from Guru3d.com, because the latest
>driver
> set on the nVidia website (66.93) has a bug that shows graphical problems
> in
> games. There are newer drivers on Guru3d.com, but I'm not sure that it
> would
> be a driver issue, seeing as it happens on the Firefox browser, not only
> the
> SCCT demo.
>
> "Tom" wrote:
>

>> "Don Karnia" <Don Karnia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The first error message is one I've been getting sometimes while
>> > playing a
>> > demo of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and recently it's also been
>> > happening
>> > while using Firefox.
>> > The error message is similar to this:
>> >
>> > The instruction at "0x-random numbers-" referenced at "0x00000000". The
>> > memory could not be "read". Click OK to cancel the application. Click
>> > Cancel
>> > to debug.
>> >
>> > The game/Firefox then closes, and I have to reopen them. While playing
>> > the
>> > SCCT demo, this error only happens when using the "EEV Scanner". At
>> > first
>> > thought it might be a problem with the demo itself, but now that it's
>> > happening with Firefox too, I'm not so sure.
>> >
>> > The second error I've been getting has only happened in one game -
>> > "Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls III". I can't remember the message
>> > exactly,
>> > but
>> > in it are the words "exception breakpoint reached", and I have to close
>> > it.
>> > This message appears randomly, but thankfully not too often.
>> >
>> > My system specs are as follows:
>> > Windows XP SP2
>> > P4 2.8Ghz
>> > 512mb RAM
>> > Geforce 6600GT 128mb AGP8x
>> >
>> > If somebody can help, I would be very grateful.
>>
>> Have you gotten the latest drivers from Nvidia for your video card,
>> especially those for SP2?
>>
>> If not, download, install the latest drivers, and post back with results.

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 5:20:15 PM

Don

Are there any error reports in Event Viewer? Please post copies.

Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
discrepancies can
make it harder to search for information about the error message.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer.
When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
ID, Source
and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the
error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
resembling two
pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
message
(email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
info from the
Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
sure this is
the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~