How to expend Area for System Variables Environment?

When installting many applications from NAL-packages on a XP-client in our
environment, the PATH gets corrupted after a certain ammount of characters.
My question is how we can extend the area so that the PATH can contain more
than 270 (or whatever the limit is) characters?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832978

Regards,

TimH