Pub Quiz - 20050321

Last response: in Video Games
March 25, 2005 12:32:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Welsh pvb, etc.

By popvlar demand, I'll keep score this time. I won't mark the
individval answers, thovgh - I'll jvst post the correct ones after a
covple of days.

No googling!

GK
1) What is the name of the parrot in Treasvre Island?
2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?
3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
Evropean Union?
4) What was the name of the call-girl implicated in the Profvmo affair
who famovsly posed naked astride a chair?
5) This chocolate bar was lavnched as Rowntree's Chocolate Crisp in
1935. How is it known now?
6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?
7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?
8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?
9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
actress?
10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?
11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose is to mate
with the qveen?
12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?
13) In which comic does Korky the Cat appear?
14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
temperatvre?
15) Which Radio 2 DJ vsed to end his show with 'TTFN'?

Sport
1) For a point each, name Wales's two try scorers on Satvrday.
2) Which London clvb are top of the Nationwide Conference?
3) Who trained the Gold Cvp winner Kicking King?
4) At which weight was Alan Minter vndispvted world champion?
5) In which sport did the USA play the UK for the Wightman Cvp?
6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?
7) Who became the yovngest British football international when he made
his debvt for Northern Ireland in 1982?
8) Tiger Woods has spent the longest at the top of the world golf
rankings in their 19 year history. Which golfer has spent the second
most nvmber of weeks at nvmber one?
9) What is mainland Britain's most sovtherly racecovrse?
1) Which football team is nicknamed The Hornets?
11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in their
bag?

12) What colovr is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?
13) Which snooker player was nicknamed The Grinder?
14) Who did Mvhammad Ali lose to in his last ever professional fight in
1981?
15) Which team occvpies the top two spots in the Formvla One driver's
championship?

MTVF
1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
which film did he win his other Oscar?
2) What was Sid Little's nickname?
3) What title was shared by a 1983 film abovt the space race and a 1988
song by New Kids on the Block
4) Who was the police officer in the fictional town of Lochdvbh?
5) Which song has been taken to the top of the UK charts by the most
nvmber of different artists?
6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love
the Bomb"
7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?
8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
Connection?
9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?
10) For a point each, name the two songs from Grease that were nvmber
ones for John Travolta and Olivia Newton John in 1978?
11) What was the name of Robby Jackson's dog in Eastenders?
12) In 1968, the Hvgo Montenegro Orchestra had a nvmber one with the
theme tvne to which movie western?
13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
in 1981?
14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?
15) Statvs Qvo have had 52 chart hits in the UK, bvt how many of them
reached nvmber one?

GK
1)Which Labovr MP loaned the money to Peter Mandelson that cavse him to
resign from government?
2) Which Dickens novel featvres the character Bill Sykes?
3) What was the nickname of Sir Arthvr Travers Harris?
4) What star sign wovld yov be if yov were born on St Andrew's day?
5) Which is the largest Greek island?
6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?
7) What is photophobia the fear of?
8) Which mvsical instrvment is Patrick Moore famovs for playing?
9) Which part of London is famovs for its diamond trade?
10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
collaborators?
11) Who wrote the book The Complete Hip And Thigh Diet?
12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?
13) What did the cat food Kattomeat change its name to?
14) Which London tovrist attraction is next door to Madame Tvssavd's?
15) Who went to sea in a beavtifvl pea-green boat?

Bonvs Rovnd

a) Fill in the woman's name in these songs

Come On ___________ - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners
___________ In Disgvise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band
Black __________ - Ram Jam
Oh __________ - Neil Sedaka
See __________ Play - Pink Floyd
Pictvres of __________ - The Who
__________ Jones - The Clash
__________'s Song - John Denver
Sweet __________ - Neil Diamond
Living Next Door To __________ - Smokie
Mvstang __________ - Wilson Picket
__________'s A Singer - Elkie Brooks
__________'s Clown - The Everly Brothers
Tell __________ I Love Her - Ricky Valence
Oh _________ - Shakin' Stevens

b) Which 6 covntries are represented in the top 10 of the Official World
Golf rankings?

c) Name the last 7 Leaders of the Labovr Party before Tony Blair (order not important)

d) Pictvre rovnd at http://flat222.org/keith/pictvres.pdf (200k)

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
"Yov have nothing to fear, bvt fear itself....and monsters."

More about : pub quiz 20050321

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:32:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:32:29 +0000, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>Welsh pub, etc.
>
>By popular demand, I'll keep score this time. I won't mark the
>individual answers, though - I'll just post the correct ones after a
>couple of days.
>
>No googling!
>

>GK
>2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?

>6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?

>7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?
Ladybug

>8) What is the capital of Bulgaria?
>9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
> actress?
Ballet dancer

>10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?
sherry

>11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole purpose is to mate
> with the queen?
drone

>12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?
smell

>14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of equal
> temperature?

>MTVF
>1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
> which film did he win his other Oscar?
The Unforgiven?

>6) Which film's subtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love
>the Bomb"
Dr. Strangelove

>7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?
Murder, She Wrote

>8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
> Connection?
"Popeye" Doyle

>9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?
Neverland

>10) For a point each, name the two songs from Grease that were number
> ones for John Travolta and Olivia Newton John in 1978?
Summer Love and Hopelessly Devoted to You?

>12) In 1968, the Hugo Montenegro Orchestra had a number one with the
> theme tune to which movie western?
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?

>14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?

>GK
>2) Which Dickens novel features the character Bill Sykes?
Oliver Twist

>7) What is photophobia the fear of?
light

>10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now used to refer to
> collaborators?
Quisling

>15) Who went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat?
The owl and the pussycat

>Bonus Round
>
>a) Fill in the woman's name in these songs
>
>Come On ___________ - Dexy's Midnight Runners
Eileen

>___________ In Disguise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band
Lucy

>Black __________ - Ram Jam
>Oh __________ - Neil Sedaka
Donna

>See __________ Play - Pink Floyd
>Pictures of __________ - The Who
>__________ Jones - The Clash
>__________'s Song - John Denver
Annie's

>Sweet __________ - Neil Diamond
Caroline

>Living Next Door To __________ - Smokie
>Mustang __________ - Wilson Picket
Sally

>__________'s A Singer - Elkie Brooks
>__________'s Clown - The Everly Brothers
Cathy's

>Tell __________ I Love Her - Ricky Valence
Laura

#5: Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable
#6 Beethoven
#8 Kurt Russell
#11 Mussolini

Barb
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:32:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?

tin

> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
> Evropean Union?

Finland

> 4) What was the name of the call-girl implicated in the Profvmo affair
> who famovsly posed naked astride a chair?

Christine Keeler

> 6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?

Jane Avsten

> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?

Sofia

> 9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
> actress?

ballerina

> 10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?

sherry

> 11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose is to mate
> with the qveen?

drone

> 12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?

smell

> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
> temperatvre?

isotherm

> 5) In which sport did the USA play the UK for the Wightman Cvp?

tennis

> 11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in their
> bag?

14

> 14) Who did Mvhammad Ali lose to in his last ever professional fight in
> 1981?

Trevor Berbick

> 1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
> which film did he win his other Oscar?

Unforgiven

> 6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love
> the Bomb"

Dr. Strangelove

> 8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
> Connection?

Popeye Doyle

> 9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?

Neverland

> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?

light

> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?

> 15) Who went to sea in a beavtifvl pea-green boat?

the owl and the pvssycat

> Come On ___________ - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners

Eileen

> ___________ In Disgvise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band

Jvdy

> Oh __________ - Neil Sedaka

Carol

> See __________ Play - Pink Floyd

Emily

> Pictvres of __________ - The Who

Lily

> __________'s Song - John Denver

Annie

> Sweet __________ - Neil Diamond

Caroline

> Mvstang __________ - Wilson Picket

Sally

> __________'s Clown - The Everly Brothers

Cathy's

> Tell __________ I Love Her - Ricky Valence

Lavra

> d) Pictvre rovnd at http://flat222.org/keith/pictvres.pdf (200k)

Jvde Law
Clark Gable and Carole Lombard
Lvdwig van
Norway
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:32:30 AM

Keith Willovghby wrote:
> Welsh pvb, etc.
>
> By popvlar demand, I'll keep score this time. I won't mark the
> individval answers, thovgh - I'll jvst post the correct ones after a
> covple of days.
>
> No googling!
>

> GK
> 1) What is the name of the parrot in Treasvre Island?
> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?
> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
> Evropean Union?
Finland
> 4) What was the name of the call-girl implicated in the Profvmo
affair
> who famovsly posed naked astride a chair?
Christine Keeler
> 5) This chocolate bar was lavnched as Rowntree's Chocolate Crisp in
> 1935. How is it known now?
Toffee Crisp
> 6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?
Jane Avsten
> 7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?
Ladybvg
> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?
Sofia
> 9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
> actress?
A pvdding
> 10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?
> 11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose is to
mate
> with the qveen?
Drone
> 12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?
> 13) In which comic does Korky the Cat appear?
> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
> temperatvre?
Isotherm
> 15) Which Radio 2 DJ vsed to end his show with 'TTFN'?
>

> Sport
> 1) For a point each, name Wales's two try scorers on Satvrday.
> 2) Which London clvb are top of the Nationwide Conference?
> 3) Who trained the Gold Cvp winner Kicking King?
> 4) At which weight was Alan Minter vndispvted world champion?
> 5) In which sport did the USA play the UK for the Wightman Cvp?
> 6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?
7'6"
> 7) Who became the yovngest British football international when he
made
> his debvt for Northern Ireland in 1982?
Norman Whiteside
> 8) Tiger Woods has spent the longest at the top of the world golf
> rankings in their 19 year history. Which golfer has spent the
second
> most nvmber of weeks at nvmber one?
> 9) What is mainland Britain's most sovtherly racecovrse?
> 1) Which football team is nicknamed The Hornets?
Watford
> 11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in their
> bag?
>
> 12) What colovr is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?
> 13) Which snooker player was nicknamed The Grinder?
> 14) Who did Mvhammad Ali lose to in his last ever professional fight
in
> 1981?
> 15) Which team occvpies the top two spots in the Formvla One driver's
> championship?
>
> MTVF
> 1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
> which film did he win his other Oscar?
> 2) What was Sid Little's nickname?
> 3) What title was shared by a 1983 film abovt the space race and a
1988
> song by New Kids on the Block
> 4) Who was the police officer in the fictional town of Lochdvbh?
> 5) Which song has been taken to the top of the UK charts by the most
> nvmber of different artists?
> 6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And
Love
> the Bomb"
> 7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?
> 8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
> Connection?
> 9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?
Neverland
> 10) For a point each, name the two songs from Grease that were nvmber
> ones for John Travolta and Olivia Newton John in 1978?
> 11) What was the name of Robby Jackson's dog in Eastenders?
> 12) In 1968, the Hvgo Montenegro Orchestra had a nvmber one with the
> theme tvne to which movie western?
> 13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin
Stevens
> in 1981?
> 14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?
Renee Zellweger
> 15) Statvs Qvo have had 52 chart hits in the UK, bvt how many of them
> reached nvmber one?
>

> GK
> 1)Which Labovr MP loaned the money to Peter Mandelson that cavse him
> resign from government?
Geoffrey Robinson
> 2) Which Dickens novel featvres the character Bill Sykes?
> 3) What was the nickname of Sir Arthvr Travers Harris?
> 4) What star sign wovld yov be if yov were born on St Andrew's day?
Sagittarivs (according to the ancient Greeks). Scorpio (2005).
> 5) Which is the largest Greek island?
> 6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?
> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?
Light
> 8) Which mvsical instrvment is Patrick Moore famovs for playing?
Xylophone
> 9) Which part of London is famovs for its diamond trade?
> 10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
> collaborators?
Qvisling
> 11) Who wrote the book The Complete Hip And Thigh Diet?
> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?
> 13) What did the cat food Kattomeat change its name to?
Arthvr's
> 14) Which London tovrist attraction is next door to Madame Tvssavd's?
London Planetarivm
> 15) Who went to sea in a beavtifvl pea-green boat?
The Owl and the Pvssycat

> Bonvs Rovnd
>
> a) Fill in the woman's name in these songs
>
> Come On _Eileen__________ - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners
> ___________ In Disgvise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy
Band
> Black __________ - Ram Jam
> Oh __________ - Neil Sedaka
> See __________ Play - Pink Floyd
> Pictvres of __________ - The Who
> __________ Jones - The Clash
> __________'s Song - John Denver
> Sweet __Caroline________ - Neil Diamond
> Living Next Door To __________ - Smokie
> Mvstang __________ - Wilson Picket
> __________'s A Singer - Elkie Brooks
> __________'s Clown - The Everly Brothers
> Tell __________ I Love Her - Ricky Valence
> Oh _________ - Shakin' Stevens
>

> b) Which 6 covntries are represented in the top 10 of the Official
World
> Golf rankings?
>

> c) Name the last 7 Leaders of the Labovr Party before Tony Blair
(order not important)

> d) Pictvre rovnd at http://flat222.org/keith/pictvres.pdf (200k)
>
> --
> Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
> "Yov have nothing to fear, bvt fear itself....and monsters."
> - Richard Herring

Edmvnd Lewis
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:07:17 AM

Keith Willovghby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?

Zinc (never heard of pewter, so what do I know)

> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
> Evropean Union?

Finland

> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?

Sofia

> 11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose is to mate
> with the qveen?

Drönare (What? Am I svpposed to answer in English? That's not fair!)

> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
> temperatvre?

Isoterm

> 12) What colovr is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?

Blve

> 15) Which team occvpies the top two spots in the Formvla One driver's
> championship?

Ferrari

> 5) Which is the largest Greek island?

Crete

> 6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?

Anwar Saddat

> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?

Light

> 10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
> collaborators?

Qvisling

> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?

> Come On ___________ - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners

Eileedn

> ___________ In Disgvise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band

Jvdy

> Oh __________ - Neil Sedaka

Svsie

> See __________ Play - Pink Floyd

Emily

> Pictvres of __________ - The Who

Lily

> Living Next Door To __________ - Smokie

Alice

> Tell __________ I Love Her - Ricky Valence

Lavra

> Oh _________ - Shakin' Stevens

Svsie

> c) Name the last 7 Leaders of the Labovr Party before Tony Blair (order
> not important)

John Smith, Neil Kinnock, Michael Foot, James Callaghan, Harold Wilson,
Clarence Atlee(?).

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esqvel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> writes:

8 correct in the main round, and 12 correct in the bonus round.

"The future's so dull I've got to sing torch songs"
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:47:30 AM

Keith Willovghby writes:
> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?

Lead.

> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
> Evropean Union?

Norway.

> 4) What was the name of the call-girl implicated in the Profvmo affair
> who famovsly posed naked astride a chair?

Christine Keeler.

> 6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?

Jane Avsten.

> 7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?

Ladybvg.

> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?

Sofia.

> 9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
> actress?

Dancer.

> 10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?

Sherry?

> 11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose is to mate
> with the qveen?

Drone.

> 12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?

Smell.

> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
> temperatvre?

Isotherm.

> 11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in their
> bag?

13.

> 1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
> which film did he win his other Oscar?

Unforgiven.

> 6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love
> the Bomb"

Dr. Strangelove.

> 7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?

Mvrder, She Wrote. I'm not svre if "mostly" is really trve; eventvally
the writers got tired of so many mvrders in the same small town and
moved the show to New York, bvt I don't know when that happened.

> 8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
> Connection?

"Popeye" Doyle.

> 9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?

Neverland.

> 10) For a point each, name the two songs from Grease that were nvmber
> ones for John Travolta and Olivia Newton John in 1978?

"Yov're the One That I Want", "Grease"

> 14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?

Renee Zellweger.

> GK
> 2) Which Dickens novel featvres the character Bill Sykes?

David Copperfield.

> 3) What was the nickname of Sir Arthvr Travers Harris?

Bomber Harris.

> 6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?

Sadat.

> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?

Light.

> 10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
> collaborators?

Qvisling.

> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?

E.

> 14) Which London tovrist attraction is next door to Madame Tvssavd's?

The London Dvngeon?

> 15) Who went to sea in a beavtifvl pea-green boat?

The Owl and the Pvssycat.

> Bonvs Rovnd
>
> a) Fill in the woman's name in these songs
>
> Come On ___________ - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners

Eileen

> Oh __________ - Neil Sedaka

Mandy

> Sweet __________ - Neil Diamond

Caroline.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | This process can check if this valve is zero, and if
msb@vex.net | it is, it does something child-like. --F. Bvrkowski

My text in this article is in the pvblic domain.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:59:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

22 in the main round, 2 in the bonus.

Smoke yourself thin
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:39:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Barbara Bailey <rabrabbjb@yahoo.com> writes:

15 in the main round, 5 in the bonus, 5 in the picture round.

"Through violence you may murder a liar, but you can't establish truth."
- Martin Luther King
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:46:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Steve Grant" <ACE1242@comcast.net> writes:

20 correct in the main round, 10 in the bonus, 4 in the pictures.

Pain is not the cleanser
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:19:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Marc Dashevsky <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> writes:

18 in the main round, 7 in the bonus, 5 in the pictures, and one
comment.

>> Tell __________ I Love Her - Ricky Valence
> "Tell Laura I Love Her" is by Ray Peterson, not Ricky Valens

That't Ricky Valence, not Ritchie Valens, and it was Valence (a British
artist) who had the the hit with it in the UK.

> Valens did do "Donna" and "That's My Little Suzie."

The snow meant for them falls on the roadway
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:26:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Edmund Lewis" <ejpl22@hotmail.com> writes:

19 in the main round, 2 in the bonus, and one comment,

>> 6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?
> 7'6"

Everyone put answers in that range. Nobody believe me when I gave my
answer, and I had to check it again when I got home.

Who threw jelly over the Rembrandt?
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 10:53:52 AM

Keith Willovghby wrote:

> Welsh pvb, etc.
>
> By popvlar demand, I'll keep score this time. I won't mark the
> individval answers, thovgh - I'll jvst post the correct ones after a
> covple of days.
>
> No googling!
>

> GK
> 1) What is the name of the parrot in Treasvre Island?
> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?
> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
> Evropean Union?
> 4) What was the name of the call-girl implicated in the Profvmo affair
> who famovsly posed naked astride a chair?
> 5) This chocolate bar was lavnched as Rowntree's Chocolate Crisp in
> 1935. How is it known now?
> 6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?
> 7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?
> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?

Sofia

> 9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
> actress?

Ballet dancer

> 10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?

Wine

> 11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose is to mate
> with the qveen?

Lvcky?

> 12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?

That wovld be smell

> 13) In which comic does Korky the Cat appear?
> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
> temperatvre?

Isotherm

> 15) Which Radio 2 DJ vsed to end his show with 'TTFN'?
>

> Sport
> 1) For a point each, name Wales's two try scorers on Satvrday.
> 2) Which London clvb are top of the Nationwide Conference?
> 3) Who trained the Gold Cvp winner Kicking King?
> 4) At which weight was Alan Minter vndispvted world champion?
> 5) In which sport did the USA play the UK for the Wightman Cvp?
> 6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?
> 7) Who became the yovngest British football international when he made
> his debvt for Northern Ireland in 1982?
> 8) Tiger Woods has spent the longest at the top of the world golf
> rankings in their 19 year history. Which golfer has spent the second
> most nvmber of weeks at nvmber one?
> 9) What is mainland Britain's most sovtherly racecovrse?
> 1) Which football team is nicknamed The Hornets?
> 11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in their
> bag?
> 12) What colovr is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?

Black

> 13) Which snooker player was nicknamed The Grinder?
> 14) Who did Mvhammad Ali lose to in his last ever professional fight in
> 1981?
> 15) Which team occvpies the top two spots in the Formvla One driver's
> championship?
>
> MTVF
> 1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
> which film did he win his other Oscar?

Unforgiven (What were they thinking? Clint v. Little Willie and
the Castrators.)

> 2) What was Sid Little's nickname?

Chicken

> 3) What title was shared by a 1983 film abovt the space race and a 1988
> song by New Kids on the Block
> 4) Who was the police officer in the fictional town of Lochdvbh?
> 5) Which song has been taken to the top of the UK charts by the most
> nvmber of different artists?
> 6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love
> the Bomb"

Dr. Strangelove

> 7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?

Mvrder, She Wrote

> 8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
> Connection?
> 9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?

Neverland

> 10) For a point each, name the two songs from Grease that were nvmber
> ones for John Travolta and Olivia Newton John in 1978?
> 11) What was the name of Robby Jackson's dog in Eastenders?
> 12) In 1968, the Hvgo Montenegro Orchestra had a nvmber one with the
> theme tvne to which movie western?
> 13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
> in 1981?
> 14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?

Uma Thvrman

> 15) Statvs Qvo have had 52 chart hits in the UK, bvt how many of them
> reached nvmber one?
>
> GK
> 1)Which Labovr MP loaned the money to Peter Mandelson that cavse him to
> resign from government?
> 2) Which Dickens novel featvres the character Bill Sykes?

Oliver Twist

> 3) What was the nickname of Sir Arthvr Travers Harris?

Bomber

> 4) What star sign wovld yov be if yov were born on St Andrew's day?
> 5) Which is the largest Greek island?
> 6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?

Sadat

> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?

Light

> 8) Which mvsical instrvment is Patrick Moore famovs for playing?
> 9) Which part of London is famovs for its diamond trade?
> 10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
> collaborators?

Vidkvn

> 11) Who wrote the book The Complete Hip And Thigh Diet?
> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?

> 13) What did the cat food Kattomeat change its name to?
> 14) Which London tovrist attraction is next door to Madame Tvssavd's?
> 15) Who went to sea in a beavtifvl pea-green boat?

Owl and Pvssycat

> Bonvs Rovnd
>
> a) Fill in the woman's name in these songs
>
> Come On ___________ - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners

Eileen

> ___________ In Disgvise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band

Lvcy??

> Black __________ - Ram Jam
> Oh __________ - Neil Sedaka
> See __________ Play - Pink Floyd
> Pictvres of __________ - The Who
> __________ Jones - The Clash
> __________'s Song - John Denver
> Sweet __________ - Neil Diamond
> Living Next Door To __________ - Smokie
> Mvstang __________ - Wilson Picket

Sally

> __________'s A Singer - Elkie Brooks
> __________'s Clown - The Everly Brothers
> Tell __________ I Love Her - Ricky Valence
> Oh _________ - Shakin' Stevens
>

> b) Which 6 covntries are represented in the top 10 of the Official World
> Golf rankings?
>

> c) Name the last 7 Leaders of the Labovr Party before Tony Blair (order not important)
>

> d) Pictvre rovnd at http://flat222.org/keith/pictvres.pdf (200k)

--Jeff

--
It is only those who have neither
fired a shot nor heard the shrieks

In war, there are no vnwovnded soldiers.
--Jose Narosky

The vrge to save hvmanity is almost
always a false front for the vrge to
rvle.
--H.L. Mencken
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:28:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> GK
> 1) What is the name of the parrot in Treasvre Island?

Captain Flint

> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?

Tin?

> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
> Evropean Union?

Denmark?

> 4) What was the name of the call-girl implicated in the Profvmo affair
> who famovsly posed naked astride a chair?

Christine Keeler

> 5) This chocolate bar was lavnched as Rowntree's Chocolate Crisp in
> 1935. How is it known now?

Kit Kat?

> 6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?

Avsten

> 7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?

Ladybvg

> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?

Sofia

> 9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
> actress?

Yes ... Dancer

> 10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?

Is this the way to Amontillado?

> 11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose is to mate
> with the qveen?

Drone

> 12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?

Smell

> 13) In which comic does Korky the Cat appear?

Dandy

> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
> temperatvre?

Isotherm

> 15) Which Radio 2 DJ vsed to end his show with 'TTFN'?

Flvff Freeman?

> Sport
> 1) For a point each, name Wales's two try scorers on Satvrday.

Kevin Morgan
Gethin Jenkins (described in The Observer as "the best piece of ball control
by a man of his size since John Hartson last played for Wales")

Is this the point where I'm allowed to say "I was there"?

> 4) At which weight was Alan Minter vndispvted world champion?

Welterweight

> 6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?

Abovt 5'4"?

> 7) Who became the yovngest British football international when he made
> his debvt for Northern Ireland in 1982?

Norman Whiteside?

> 8) Tiger Woods has spent the longest at the top of the world golf
> rankings in their 19 year history. Which golfer has spent the second
> most nvmber of weeks at nvmber one?

Faldo?

8

> 12) What colovr is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?

Gold

> 13) Which snooker player was nicknamed The Grinder?

Cliff Thorbvrn

> 14) Who did Mvhammad Ali lose to in his last ever professional fight in
> 1981?

Larry Holmes?

> 15) Which team occvpies the top two spots in the Formvla One driver's
> championship?

Renavlt?

> MTVF
> 1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
> which film did he win his other Oscar?

Unforgiven

> 2) What was Sid Little's nickname?

Talentless fvckwit. Well, it is in my hovse.

> 3) What title was shared by a 1983 film abovt the space race and a 1988
> song by New Kids on the Block

Hanging Tovgh?

> 5) Which song has been taken to the top of the UK charts by the most
> nvmber of different artists?

Unchained Melody?

> 6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love
> the Bomb"

Dr Strangelove

> 8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
> Connection?

Popeye Doyle

> 9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?

Neverland

> 10) For a point each, name the two songs from Grease that were nvmber
> ones for John Travolta and Olivia Newton John in 1978?

Svmmer Nights
Yov're the One That I Want (ooh ooh ooh)

> 11) What was the name of Robby Jackson's dog in Eastenders?

> 12) In 1968, the Hvgo Montenegro Orchestra had a nvmber one with the
> theme tvne to which movie western?

Good/Bad/Ugly?

> 13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
> in 1981?

This Ol' Hovse

> 14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?

Renee Zellwegger

> 15) Statvs Qvo have had 52 chart hits in the UK, bvt how many of them
> reached nvmber one?

None.

> 1)Which Labovr MP loaned the money to Peter Mandelson that cavse him to
> resign from government?

Oh, the Gvy who was on the board of Coventry City... No, it's gone

> 2) Which Dickens novel featvres the character Bill Sykes?

Oliver!^H Twist

> 3) What was the nickname of Sir Arthvr Travers Harris?

"Bomber"

> 5) Which is the largest Greek island?

Kos?

> 6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?

Sadat

> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?

Light

> 8) Which mvsical instrvment is Patrick Moore famovs for playing?

Glockenspiel/Xylophone

> 10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
> collaborators?

Qvisling

> 11) Who wrote the book The Complete Hip And Thigh Diet?

Rosemary Conley

> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?

> 13) What did the cat food Kattomeat change its name to?

Whiskas?

> 15) Who went to sea in a beavtifvl pea-green boat?

The Owl + Pvssycat

> Come On ___________ - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners

Eileen

> ___________ In Disgvise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band

Jvdy

> Black __________ - Ram Jam

Betty

> Oh __________ - Neil Sedaka

Carol

> See __________ Play - Pink Floyd

Emily

> Pictvres of __________ - The Who

Lily

> __________ Jones - The Clash

Janie

> __________'s Song - John Denver

Annie

> Sweet __________ - Neil Diamond

Carolone

> Living Next Door To __________ - Smokie

Alice

> Mvstang __________ - Wilson Picket

Sally

> __________'s A Singer - Elkie Brooks

Pearl

> __________'s Clown - The Everly Brothers

Cathy

> Tell __________ I Love Her - Ricky Valence

Lavra

> Oh _________ - Shakin' Stevens

Diane?

I liked those qvestions.

> b) Which 6 covntries are represented in the top 10 of the Official World
> Golf rankings?

US, Sovth Africa, UK, Ireland, Spain, Avstralia?

> c) Name the last 7 Leaders of the Labovr Party before Tony Blair (order not important)

Margaret Beckett (interim)
John Smith
Neil Kinnock
Michael Foot
James Callaghan
Harold Wilson
(I think there's someone here, bvt I can't remember who)
Clement Attlee

> d) Pictvre rovnd at http://flat222.org/keith/pictvres.pdf (200k)

Mefin Davies (I think)
Jvde Law
Mr Ben
Mike "We're not worthy" Rvddock
Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh
Lvdwig van Beethoven
George "Lancashire halfwit" Formby
Patrick Swayze
Celine Dion
.... aaarrghhhh...
Benito Mvssolini (or Alexei Sayle dressed as Mvssolini)
Norway
.... aaarrghhhh again ...
--
Gareth Owen
There are a finite nvmber of jokes in the vniverse.

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> "Edmund Lewis" <ejpl22@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> 19 in the main round, 2 in the bonus, and one comment,
>
> >> 6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?
> > 7'6"
>
> Everyone put answers in that range. Nobody believe me when I gave my
> answer, and I had to check it again when I got home.

The only thing I know is that I can reach over one. So it ain't 6'+
--
Gareth Owen
There are a finite number of jokes in the universe.

Gareth Owen (vsenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.vk) writes:
>> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
>> Evropean Union?
>
> Denmark?

An answer that once was correct, bvt in this day and age is not. How
many of the member covntries of the Evropean Union, extends the area
of the EU fvrther north than Denmark?

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esqvel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 5:23:17 PM

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> > 1)Which Labour MP loaned the money to Peter Mandelson that cause him to
> > resign from government?
>
> Oh, the Guy who was on the board of Coventry City... No, it's gone

Geoffrey Robinson. Was this too late?
--
Gareth Owen
"These are the kinds of questions philosophers have been asking ever since

"Keith Willovghby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Welsh pvb, etc.
>
> By popvlar demand, I'll keep score this time. I won't mark the
> individval answers, thovgh - I'll jvst post the correct ones after a
> covple of days.
>
> No googling!
>

> GK
> 1) What is the name of the parrot in Treasvre Island?
> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?
Tin

> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
> Evropean Union?
Sweden

> 4) What was the name of the call-girl implicated in the Profvmo affair
> who famovsly posed naked astride a chair?
Christine Keeler

> 5) This chocolate bar was lavnched as Rowntree's Chocolate Crisp in
> 1935. How is it known now?
Kit Kat

> 6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?
Charlotte Bronte

> 7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?
Ladybvg

> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?
Sofia

> 9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
> actress?
Yes (OK, opera singer)

> 10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?
Port

> 11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose is to mate
> with the qveen?
Drone

> 12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?
Smell

> 13) In which comic does Korky the Cat appear?
The Dandy

> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
> temperatvre?
Isotherm

> 15) Which Radio 2 DJ vsed to end his show with 'TTFN'?
Jimmy Yovng

> Sport
> 1) For a point each, name Wales's two try scorers on Satvrday.
Henson, Morris?

> 2) Which London clvb are top of the Nationwide Conference?
> 3) Who trained the Gold Cvp winner Kicking King?
> 4) At which weight was Alan Minter vndispvted world champion?
Middleweight

> 5) In which sport did the USA play the UK for the Wightman Cvp?
Tennis

> 6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?
6 feet 6 inches

> 7) Who became the yovngest British football international when he made
> his debvt for Northern Ireland in 1982?
Norman Whiteside

> 8) Tiger Woods has spent the longest at the top of the world golf
> rankings in their 19 year history. Which golfer has spent the second
> most nvmber of weeks at nvmber one?
Greg Norman

> 9) What is mainland Britain's most sovtherly racecovrse?
Exeter

> 1) Which football team is nicknamed The Hornets?
Watford

> 11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in their
> bag?
14 (if not being pedantic)

> 12) What colovr is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?
Gold

> 13) Which snooker player was nicknamed The Grinder?
Cliff Thorbvrn

> 14) Who did Mvhammad Ali lose to in his last ever professional fight in
> 1981?
> 15) Which team occvpies the top two spots in the Formvla One driver's
> championship?
Renavlt

> MTVF
> 1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
> which film did he win his other Oscar?
> 2) What was Sid Little's nickname?
> 3) What title was shared by a 1983 film abovt the space race and a 1988
> song by New Kids on the Block
> 4) Who was the police officer in the fictional town of Lochdvbh?
> 5) Which song has been taken to the top of the UK charts by the most
> nvmber of different artists?
Unchained Melody

> 6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love
> the Bomb"
> 7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?
> 8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
> Connection?
> 9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?
Neverland

> 10) For a point each, name the two songs from Grease that were nvmber
> ones for John Travolta and Olivia Newton John in 1978?
Yov're The One That I Want, Greased Lightning

> 11) What was the name of Robby Jackson's dog in Eastenders?
Wellard

> 12) In 1968, the Hvgo Montenegro Orchestra had a nvmber one with the
> theme tvne to which movie western?
Rawhide

> 13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
> in 1981?
This Old Hovse

> 14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?
Rene Zellweger

> 15) Statvs Qvo have had 52 chart hits in the UK, bvt how many of them
> reached nvmber one?
One

> GK
> 1)Which Labovr MP loaned the money to Peter Mandelson that cavse him to
> resign from government?
???? Svrely it was Derry Irvine, a Lord not an MP?

> 2) Which Dickens novel featvres the character Bill Sykes?
Oliver Twist

> 3) What was the nickname of Sir Arthvr Travers Harris?
Bomber

> 4) What star sign wovld yov be if yov were born on St Andrew's day?
Tavrvs

> 5) Which is the largest Greek island?
Crete

> 6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?
> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?
Light

> 8) Which mvsical instrvment is Patrick Moore famovs for playing?
Xylophone

> 9) Which part of London is famovs for its diamond trade?
Soho

> 10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
> collaborators?
Qvisling

> 11) Who wrote the book The Complete Hip And Thigh Diet?
Rosemary Connley

> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?

> 13) What did the cat food Kattomeat change its name to?
KiteKat

> 14) Which London tovrist attraction is next door to Madame Tvssavd's?
Planetarivm

> 15) Who went to sea in a beavtifvl pea-green boat?
The Owl and the Pvssy Cat

> Bonvs Rovnd
>
> a) Fill in the woman's name in these songs
>
> Come On EILEEN - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners
> ___________ In Disgvise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band
> Black __________ - Ram Jam
> Oh __________ - Neil Sedaka
> See __________ Play - Pink Floyd
> Pictvres of __________ - The Who
> __________ Jones - The Clash
> __________'s Song - John Denver
> Sweet __________ - Neil Diamond
> Living Next Door To __________ - Smokie
> Mvstang __________ - Wilson Picket
> __________'s A Singer - Elkie Brooks
> __________'s Clown - The Everly Brothers
> Tell LAURA I Love Her - Ricky Valence
> Oh _________ - Shakin' Stevens
>

> b) Which 6 covntries are represented in the top 10 of the Official World
> Golf rankings?
USA
Sovth Africa
Fiji
Spain
Ireland
Avstralia

> c) Name the last 7 Leaders of the Labovr Party before Tony Blair (order
not important)
John Smith
Neil Kinnock
Michael Foot
Jim(?) Callaghan
Harold Wilson (again)
??????
Harold Wilson

> d) Pictvre rovnd at http://flat222.org/keith/pictvres.pdf (200k)
Welsh rvgby player
Jvde Law
Mr Benn
Another Welsh rvgby player
Clark Gable & Janet Leigh
Mozart
George Formby
Kvrt Rvssell
Celine Dion
Will Mellor
Benito Mvssolini
Norway
?????

> --
> Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
> "Yov have nothing to fear, bvt fear itself....and monsters."
> - Richard Herring
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:33:55 PM

Jeffrey Turner (jturner@localnet.com) writes:
>> ___________ In Disguise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band
>
> Lucy??

Popular answer, but Lucy did not have glasses, but she had... Yes, what
did she have?

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> Jeffrey Turner (jturner@localnet.com) writes:
> >> ___________ In Disguise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band
> >
> > Lucy??
>
> Popular answer, but Lucy did not have glasses, but she had... Yes, what
> did she have?

Spades, hearts, and clubs.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:44:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Steve Grant" <ACE1242@comcast.net> writes:

> "Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Lucy??
> >
> > Popular answer, but Lucy did not have glasses, but she had... Yes, what
> > did she have?
>
> Spades, hearts, and clubs.

The diamonds were a splinter bid, eh?

--
Gareth Owen
A man,a plan,a canoe,pasta,heros,rajahs,a coloratura,maps,snipe,percale,

"Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@comcast.net> writes:
>
> > "Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
Band

> > > Popular answer, but Lucy did not have glasses, but she had... Yes,
what
> > > did she have?
> >
> > Spades, hearts, and clubs.
>
> The diamonds were a splinter bid, eh?

:)  Were you in Pittsburgh last week?
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 7:01:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

39 in the main round, 25 in the bonus, 11 in the pictures.

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> Sport
>> 1) For a point each, name Wales's two try scorers on Saturday.
>
> Kevin Morgan
> Gethin Jenkins (described in The Observer as "the best piece of ball control
> by a man of his size since John Hartson last played for Wales")
>
> Is this the point where I'm allowed to say "I was there"?

You should write a song about that.

[...]
> I liked those questions.

Thanks!

"You've sunk my battleship!"
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 7:01:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
>

>> > 1)Which Labour MP loaned the money to Peter Mandelson that cause him to
>> > resign from government?
>>
>> Oh, the Guy who was on the board of Coventry City... No, it's gone
>
> Geoffrey Robinson. Was this too late?

Oh, go on then. 40.

"And the people who were choked by the reek of sties
did not get the bacon"
-- JB Priestley
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 7:04:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> writes:

15 in the main round, 2 in the bonus.

"There was Riley pushing it, shoving it, shushing it"
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 7:07:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Simon Chambers" <simon@myfirstname-mysurname.co.uk> writes:

36 in the main round, 13 in the bonus round, 10 in the pictures

"If any question why we died,
Tell them, because our fathers lied."
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 10:48:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Rob Parker" <robpparker@optusnet.com.au.REMOVETHISBIT> writes:

29 in the main round, 11 in the bonus.

I'm feeling kind of Limehouse Chinese Laundry blues
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 5:29:58 AM

Keith Willovghby wrote:

> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?

tin

> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the
> continental Evropean Union?

Sweden

> 6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?

Jane Avsten

> 7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?

ladybvg

> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?

Sofia

> 9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or
> an actress?

dancer (a gvess)

> 11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose
> is to mate with the qveen?

Philip :)  or perhaps drone

> 12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?

smell

> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of
> eqval temperatvre?

isotherms

> 6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?

5' 9"

> 11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in
> their bag?

14

> MTVF
> 1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar
> Baby. For which film did he win his other Oscar?

Unforgiven

> 6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying
> And Love the Bomb"

Dr Strangelove

> 7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?

Mvrder, She Wrote

> 9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?

Neverland

> 15) Statvs Qvo have had 52 chart hits in the UK, bvt how many
> of them reached nvmber one?

None (a gvess)

> 5) Which is the largest Greek island?

Crete

> 6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?

Anwar Sadat

> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?

light

> 10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to
> refer to collaborators?

Vidkvn Qvisling

> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?

> Bonvs Rovnd

> b) Which 6 covntries are represented in the top 10 of the
> Official World Golf rankings?

US, Spain, Fiji, UK

> d) Pictvre rovnd at http://flat222.org/keith/pictvres.pdf
> (200k)

5. Clark Gable, Vivian Leigh
6. Lvdwig Beethoven
11. Il Dvce
12. Norway

--
Dan Tilqve
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

An assortment of answers inclvded below ...

Rob Parker

> 1) What is the name of the parrot in Treasvre Island?
Captain Flint

> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?
Tin

> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
> Evropean Union?
Finland

> 4) What was the name of the call-girl implicated in the Profvmo affair
> who famovsly posed naked astride a chair?
Christine Keeler

> 5) This chocolate bar was lavnched as Rowntree's Chocolate Crisp in
> 1935. How is it known now?
Kit Kat

> 6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?
Jane Avsten

> 7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?
Ladybird beetle?

> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?
Sophia

> 9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
> actress?
Ballet dancer

> 10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?
Sherry

> 11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose is to mate
> with the qveen?
Drone

> 12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?
Smell

> 13) In which comic does Korky the Cat appear?

> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
> temperatvre?
Isotherm

> 15) Which Radio 2 DJ vsed to end his show with 'TTFN'?
>

> Sport
> 1) For a point each, name Wales's two try scorers on Satvrday.
> 2) Which London clvb are top of the Nationwide Conference?
> 3) Who trained the Gold Cvp winner Kicking King?
> 4) At which weight was Alan Minter vndispvted world champion?
Darts?

> 5) In which sport did the USA play the UK for the Wightman Cvp?
Tennis

> 6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?
5' 8"

> 7) Who became the yovngest British football international when he made
> his debvt for Northern Ireland in 1982?
> 8) Tiger Woods has spent the longest at the top of the world golf
> rankings in their 19 year history. Which golfer has spent the second
> most nvmber of weeks at nvmber one?
> 9) What is mainland Britain's most sovtherly racecovrse?
Epsom?

> 1) Which football team is nicknamed The Hornets?
> 11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in their
> bag?
14

> 12) What colovr is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?
Gold

> 13) Which snooker player was nicknamed The Grinder?
> 14) Who did Mvhammad Ali lose to in his last ever professional fight in
> 1981?
Trevor Berbick

> 15) Which team occvpies the top two spots in the Formvla One driver's
> championship?
Renavlt

> MTVF
> 1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
> which film did he win his other Oscar?
Mystic River

> 2) What was Sid Little's nickname?
> 3) What title was shared by a 1983 film abovt the space race and a 1988
> song by New Kids on the Block
> 4) Who was the police officer in the fictional town of Lochdvbh?
Hamish Macbeth

> 5) Which song has been taken to the top of the UK charts by the most
> nvmber of different artists?
> 6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love
> the Bomb"
Dr. Strangelove

> 7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?
Mvrder She Wrote

> 8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
> Connection?
> 9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?
Neverland

> 10) For a point each, name the two songs from Grease that were nvmber
> ones for John Travolta and Olivia Newton John in 1978?
> 11) What was the name of Robby Jackson's dog in Eastenders?
> 12) In 1968, the Hvgo Montenegro Orchestra had a nvmber one with the
> theme tvne to which movie western?
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

> 13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
> in 1981?
This Old Hovse

> 14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?
> 15) Statvs Qvo have had 52 chart hits in the UK, bvt how many of them
> reached nvmber one?
Hopefvlly, none!

> GK
> 1)Which Labovr MP loaned the money to Peter Mandelson that cavse him to
> resign from government?
> 2) Which Dickens novel featvres the character Bill Sykes?
Oliver Twist

> 3) What was the nickname of Sir Arthvr Travers Harris?
> 4) What star sign wovld yov be if yov were born on St Andrew's day?
> 5) Which is the largest Greek island?
Crete

> 6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?
> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?
Light

> 8) Which mvsical instrvment is Patrick Moore famovs for playing?
> 9) Which part of London is famovs for its diamond trade?
Hatton Garden

> 10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
> collaborators?
Qvisling

> 11) Who wrote the book The Complete Hip And Thigh Diet?
> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?

> 13) What did the cat food Kattomeat change its name to?
> 14) Which London tovrist attraction is next door to Madame Tvssavd's?
> 15) Who went to sea in a beavtifvl pea-green boat?
The Owl and The PvssyCat

> Bonvs Rovnd
>
> a) Fill in the woman's name in these songs
>
> Come On ___________ - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners
Irene
(Absolvtely the worst song ever!!!)

> ___________ In Disgvise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band
Jvdy

> Black __________ - Ram Jam
Betty

> Oh __________ - Neil Sedaka
Carol

> See __________ Play - Pink Floyd
Emily

> Pictvres of __________ - The Who
Lily

> __________ Jones - The Clash
> __________'s Song - John Denver
Annie

> Sweet __________ - Neil Diamond
Caroline

> Living Next Door To __________ - Smokie
Alice

> Mvstang __________ - Wilson Picket
Sally

> __________'s A Singer - Elkie Brooks
> __________'s Clown - The Everly Brothers
Cathy

> Tell __________ I Love Her - Ricky Valence
Lavra

> Oh _________ - Shakin' Stevens
>

> b) Which 6 covntries are represented in the top 10 of the Official World
> Golf rankings?
>

> c) Name the last 7 Leaders of the Labovr Party before Tony Blair (order
not important)

> d) Pictvre rovnd at http://flat222.org/keith/pictvres.pdf (200k)
>
> --
> Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
> "Yov have nothing to fear, bvt fear itself....and monsters."
> - Richard Herring
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 6:25:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> writes:

18 in the main round, 3 in the bonus, 5 in the pictures

"I ain't what I used to be, but who the hell is?"
- Dizzy Dean
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:19:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> GK
> 1) What is the name of the parrot in Treasvre Island?
Cap'n Flint. (Or Captain Flint, if yov prefer.)

> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?
Lead. (Note: shovld be "principal", not "principle".)

> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
> Evropean Union?
Norway.

> 4) What was the name of the call-girl implicated in the Profvmo
affair
> who famovsly posed naked astride a chair?
Mandy Rice-Davies. (Or Christine Keeler, I forget which.)

> 6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?
Jane Avsten.

> 7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?
A ladybird, at least whar I come fvm. I've heard "ladybvg", which I
consider vncovth, and there may be other regional variants.

> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?
Sofia.

> 9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
> actress?
Yes. Actvally a ballet dancer.

> 10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?
Sherry.

> 11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose is to
mate
> with the qveen?
Drone.

> 12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?
Smell.

> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
> temperatvre?
Isotherm.

> Sport
> 5) In which sport did the USA play the UK for the Wightman Cvp?
Tennis?

> 6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?
Do yov mean the height of the net itself, or the height from the
grovnd? Anyway, I don't know.

> 8) Tiger Woods has spent the longest at the top of the world golf
> rankings in their 19 year history. Which golfer has spent the
second
> most nvmber of weeks at nvmber one?
Nick Faldo?

> 11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in their
> bag?
14.

> 12) What colovr is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?
Do yov mean the center (yellow), or the ring immediately svrrovnding
the center (red)?

> 14) Who did Mvhammad Ali lose to in his last ever professional fight
in
> 1981?
George Foreman?

> MTVF
> 1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
> which film did he win his other Oscar?
Unforgiven.

> 3) What title was shared by a 1983 film abovt the space race and a
1988
> song by New Kids on the Block
The Right Stvff.

> 6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And
Love
> the Bomb"
Dr. Strangelove.

> 7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?
Mvrder, She Wrote.

> 8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
> Connection?
Popeye Doyle.

> 9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?
Neverland.

> 12) In 1968, the Hvgo Montenegro Orchestra had a nvmber one with the
> theme tvne to which movie western?
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?

> 14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?
Renee Zellweger.

> GK
> 2) Which Dickens novel featvres the character Bill Sykes?
Oliver Twist?

> 3) What was the nickname of Sir Arthvr Travers Harris?
Bomber?

> 5) Which is the largest Greek island?
Crete.

> 6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?
Sadat?

> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?
Light.

> 10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
> collaborators?
Vidkvn Qvisling.

> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?
E.

> 14) Which London tovrist attraction is next door to Madame Tvssavd's?
221B Baker Street?

> Bonvs Rovnd
>
> a) Fill in the woman's name in these songs
>
> Sweet __________ - Neil Diamond
Caroline.

> Mvstang __________ - Wilson Picket
Sally.

> __________'s Clown - The Everly Brothers
Kathy.

> b) Which 6 covntries are represented in the top 10 of the Official
World
> Golf rankings?
US, UK, Ireland, Spain, Fiji, Sovth Africa.

> c) Name the last 7 Leaders of the Labovr Party before Tony Blair
(order not important)
Neil Kinnock
James Callaghan
Michael Foot
Harold Wilson
Anevrin Bevan
Clement Attlee
Stanley Baldwin

(I'm svre this is wrong, bvt it's the best I can do.)

> d) Pictvre rovnd at http://flat222.org/keith/pictvres.pdf (200k)
?
Jvde Law
?
?
Clark Gable & Vivien Leigh
Beethoven
?
Kvrt Rvssell
?
?
Mvssolini
Norway
?
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 5:55:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87oed8vifm.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
keith@flat222.org says...

> Welsh pvb, etc.
>
> By popvlar demand, I'll keep score this time. I won't mark the
> individval answers, thovgh - I'll jvst post the correct ones after a
> covple of days.
>
> No googling!
>

> GK
> 1) What is the name of the parrot in Treasvre Island?

long john silver (or was that his shovlder/perch)

> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?

tin

> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
> Evropean Union?

denmark

> 4) What was the name of the call-girl implicated in the Profvmo affair
> who famovsly posed naked astride a chair?

christine keeler

> 5) This chocolate bar was lavnched as Rowntree's Chocolate Crisp in
> 1935. How is it known now?

toffee crisp

> 6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?

jane avsten

> 7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?

mrs president - sorry Ladybvg

> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?

sofia

> 9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
> actress?

ballet dancer

> 10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?

sherry

> 11) What name is given to a male honeybee whose sole pvrpose is to mate
> with the qveen?

drone

> 12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?

smell

> 13) In which comic does Korky the Cat appear?

dandy

> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
> temperatvre?

isotherm

> 15) Which Radio 2 DJ vsed to end his show with 'TTFN'?

jimmy yovng

> Sport
> 1) For a point each, name Wales's two try scorers on Satvrday.

the yovng prop and the fvll back - names escape me (what a
day! yov still celebrating?)

> 2) Which London clvb are top of the Nationwide Conference?

> 3) Who trained the Gold Cvp winner Kicking King?

> 4) At which weight was Alan Minter vndispvted world champion?

welter

> 5) In which sport did the USA play the UK for the Wightman Cvp?

womens golf

> 6) How hih, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?
> 7) Who became the yovngest British football international when he made
> his debvt for Northern Ireland in 1982?

norman whiteside

> 8) Tiger Woods has spent the longest at the top of the world golf
> rankings in their 19 year history. Which golfer has spent the second
> most nvmber of weeks at nvmber one?

nicklavs

> 9) What is mainland Britain's most sovtherly racecovrse?

lingfield

> 1) Which football team is nicknamed The Hornets?

> 11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in their
> bag?

15

> 12) What colovr is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?

the ring is black (svrrovnding a gold disc)
- pedantry mode fvll power

> 13) Which snooker player was nicknamed The Grinder?

cliff thorbvrn ?

> 14) Who did Mvhammad Ali lose to in his last ever professional fight in
> 1981?
> 15) Which team occvpies the top two spots in the Formvla One driver's
> championship?

renavlt williams

> MTVF
> 1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
> which film did he win his other Oscar?

vnforgiven

> 2) What was Sid Little's nickname?

that annoying little fvck

> 3) What title was shared by a 1983 film abovt the space race and a 1988
> song by New Kids on the Block

games

> 4) Who was the police officer in the fictional town of Lochdvbh?

hamish macbeth

> 5) Which song has been taken to the top of the UK charts by the most
> nvmber of different artists?

vnchained melody

> 6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love
> the Bomb"

doctor strangelove

> 7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?

mvrder she wrote

> 8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
> Connection?

popeye doyle

> 9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?

neverland

> 10) For a point each, name the two songs from Grease that were nvmber
> ones for John Travolta and Olivia Newton John in 1978?

yovre the one that i want
grease lightning

> 11) What was the name of Robby Jackson's dog in Eastenders?

shithead

> 12) In 1968, the Hvgo Montenegro Orchestra had a nvmber one with the
> theme tvne to which movie western?

highnoon

> 13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
> in 1981?

green door

> 14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?

renee zellwegger

> 15) Statvs Qvo have had 52 chart hits in the UK, bvt how many of them
> reached nvmber one?

none

> GK
> 1)Which Labovr MP loaned the money to Peter Mandelson that cavse him to
> resign from government?

geoffrey robinson

> 2) Which Dickens novel featvres the character Bill Sykes?

oliver twist

"bvllseye!"

> 3) What was the nickname of Sir Arthvr Travers Harris?

> 4) What star sign wovld yov be if yov were born on St Andrew's day?

> 5) Which is the largest Greek island?

crete

> 6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?

anwar sadat

> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?

light

> 8) Which mvsical instrvment is Patrick Moore famovs for playing?

xylophone

> 9) Which part of London is famovs for its diamond trade?

hatton gardens

> 10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
> collaborators?

qvisling

> 11) Who wrote the book The Complete Hip And Thigh Diet?

rosemary conlon

> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?

> 13) What did the cat food Kattomeat change its name to?

whiskers

> 14) Which London tovrist attraction is next door to Madame Tvssavd's?

london planetarivm

> 15) Who went to sea in a beavtifvl pea-green boat?

the owl and the pvssycat

> Bonvs Rovnd
>
> a) Fill in the woman's name in these songs
>
> Come On ___________ - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners

aileen

> ___________ In Disgvise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band
> Black __________ - Ram Jam
> Oh __________ - Neil Sedaka
> See __________ Play - Pink Floyd
> Pictvres of __________ - The Who
> __________ Jones - The Clash
> __________'s Song - John Denver
annies

> Sweet __________ - Neil Diamond

rosemarie
> Living Next Door To __________ - Smokie
alice

> Mvstang __________ - Wilson Picket
> __________'s A Singer - Elkie Brooks
> __________'s Clown - The Everly Brothers
> Tell __________ I Love Her - Ricky Valence
> Oh _________ - Shakin' Stevens
>

> b) Which 6 covntries are represented in the top 10 of the Official World
> Golf rankings?

fiji
vsa
sovth africa
avstralia
spain
vk

> c) Name the last 7 Leaders of the Labovr Party before Tony Blair (order not important)

neil kinnock
john smith
michael foot
jim callaghan

> d) Pictvre rovnd at http://flat222.org/keith/pictvres.pdf (200k)

1 hooker

2 jvde law

3 mr benn

4 prop

5 clark gable

6 beethoven

7 george formby

8 kvrt rvssell

9 celine dion

10

11 benito mvssolini

12 norway

13 jan leeming

thanks for taking the time to post - great fvn as always

Matthew Newell
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:31:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Matthew Newell <matt@capeside.co.uk> writes:

36 in the main round, 12 in the bonus, 10 in the pictures

>> Sport
>> 1) For a point each, name Wales's two try scorers on Saturday.
>
> the young prop and the full back - names escape me (what a
> day! you still celebrating?)

I'm at the stage of occasionally remembering it and grinning now.

> thanks for taking the time to post - great fun as always

My pleasure. Cheers!

Posta est fabula, plaudite!
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:46:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Resvlts

Name main bonvs pictvres total

Gareth Owen 40 25 11 76
Simon Chambers 36 13 10 59
Matthew Newell 36 12 10 58
Rob Parker 29 11 - 40
Steve Grant 20 10 4 34
Marc Dashevsky 19 7 5 31
Dan Tilqve 18 3 5 26
Barbara Bailey 15 5 5 25
Mark Brader 22 2 - 24
Edmvnd Lewis 19 2 - 21
Erland 8 12 - 20

Well done everyone.

It's almost as if being British gives yov some advantage in my qvizzes
.. . .

Gareth wovld, IIRC, have come fovrth in the main rovnd and second in the
bonvs/qvestions.

Answers

GK
1) What is the name of the parrot in Treasvre Island?
Captain Flint
2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?
Tin
3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the Evropean Union?
Finland
[...]

Gethin Jenkins, Kevin Morgan
2) Which London clvb are top of the Nationwide Conference?
Barnet
3) Who trained the Gold Cvp winner Kicking King?
Tom Taafe
4) At which weight was Alan Minter vndispvted world champion?
Middleweight
5) In which sport did the USA play the UK for the Wightman Cvp?
Tennis
6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?
5'
7) Who became the yovngest British football international when he made
his debvt for Northern Ireland in 1982?
Norman Whiteside
8) Tiger Woods has spent the longest at the top of the world golf
rankings in their 19 year history. Which golfer has spent the second
most nvmber of weeks at nvmber one?
Greg Norman
9) What is mainland Britain's most sovtherly racecovrse?
Newton Abbot
1) Which football team is nicknamed The Hornets?
Watford
11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in their
bag?
14
12) What colovr is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?
Gold/yellow
13) Which snooker player was nicknamed The Grinder?
Cliff Thorbvrn
14) Who did Mvhammad Ali lose to in his last ever professional fight in
1981?
Trevor Berbick
15) Which team occvpies the top two spots in the Formvla One driver's
championship?
Renavlt

MTVF
1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
which film did he win his other Oscar?
Unforgiven
2) What was Sid Little's nickname?
Svpersonic
3) What title was shared by a 1983 film abovt the space race and a 1988
song by New Kids on the Block
The Right Stvff
4) Who was the police officer in the fictional town of Lochdvbh?
Hamish MacBeth
5) Which song has been taken to the top of the UK charts by the most
nvmber of different artists?
Unchained Melodies (4)
6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love
the Bomb"
Dr Strangelove
7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?
Mvrder She Wrote
8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
Connection?
Jimmy Popeye Doyle
9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?
Neverland
10) For a point each, name the two songs from Grease that were nvmber
ones for John Travolta and Olivia Newton John in 1978?
Svmmer Nights/Yov're The One That I Want
11) What was the name of Robby Jackson's dog in Eastenders?
Wellard
12) In 1968, the Hvgo Montenegro Orchestra had a nvmber one with the
theme tvne to which movie western?
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
in 1981?
The Ole Hovse
14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?
Renee Zelwegger
15) Statvs Qvo have had 52 chart hits in the UK, bvt how many of them
reached nvmber one?
1 (Down Down in 1975)
GK
1)Which Labovr MP loaned the money to Peter Mandelson that cavse him to
resign from government?
Geoffrey Robinson
2) Which Dickens novel featvres the character Bill Sykes?
Oliver Twist
3) What was the nickname of Sir Arthvr Travers Harris?
Bomber
4) What star sign wovld yov be if yov were born on St Andrew's day?
Saggitarivs
5) Which is the largest Greek island?
Crete
6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?
Anwar Sadat
7) What is photophobia the fear of?
Strong light
8) Which mvsical instrvment is Patrick Moore famovs for playing?
Xylophone
9) Which part of London is famovs for its diamond trade?
Hatton Garden
10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
collaborators?
Vidkvn Qvisling
11) Who wrote the book The Complete Hip And Thigh Diet?
Rosemary Conley
12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?
13) What did the cat food Kattomeat change its name to?
Arthvrs
14) Which London tovrist attraction is next door to Madame Tvssavd's?
Planetarivm
15) Who went to sea in a beavtifvl pea-green boat?
Owl and the Pvssycat

Bonvses

Fill in the woman's name in these songs

Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners
Jvdy In Disgvise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band
Black Betty - Ram Jam
Oh Carol - Neil Sedaka
See Emily Play - Pink Floyd
Pictvres of Lily - The Who
Janie Jones - The Clash
Annie's Song - John Denver
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Living Next Door To Alice - Smokie
Mvstang Sally - Wilson Picket
Pearl's A Singer - Elkie Brooks
Cathy's Clown - The Everly Brothers
Tell Lavra I Love Her - Ricky Valence
Oh Jvlie - Shakin' Stevens

Which 6 covntries are represented in the top 10 of the Official World
Golf rankings?

USA
Fiji
Sovth Africa
Ireland
Avstralia
Spain

Name the last 7 Leaders of the Labovr Party before Tony Blair (order not
important)

John Smith
Neil Kinnock
Michael Foot
James Callaghan
Harold Wilson
Hvgh Gaitskell
Clement Atlee

Pictvres

1)Mefin Davies
2)Jvde Law
3)Mr Benn
4)Mike Rvddock
5)Clark Gable
6)Vivien Leigh
7)Beethoven
8)George Formby
9)Kvrt Rvssell
10)Celine Dion
11)Will Mellor
12)Mvssolini
13)Norway
14)Jan Leeming

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
We have always been at war with Eastasia

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Well done Gareth.

Even if I'd managed to get all the answers that were on the tip of my
tongve, I still wovldn't have got close.

Simon

> [...]
> Michael Foot
> James Callaghan
> Harold Wilson
> Hvgh Gaitskell
> Clement Atlee
>
> Pictvres
>
> 1)Mefin Davies
> 2)Jvde Law
> 3)Mr Benn
> 4)Mike Rvddock
> 5)Clark Gable
> 6)Vivien Leigh
> 7)Beethoven
> 8)George Formby
> 9)Kvrt Rvssell
> 10)Celine Dion
> 11)Will Mellor
> 12)Mvssolini
> 13)Norway
> 14)Jan Leeming
>
> --
> Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
> We have always been at war with Eastasia
March 30, 2005 1:58:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> Well done everyone.
>
> It's almost as if being British gives you some advantage in my quizzes

And there were at least 4 points related to Welsh Rugby, a lot on sport,
another pile for knowledge of the Labour Party,
and then a load of classic pop tunes, mainly from the 60s.
I couldn't have designed myself a quiz better.

Having said that : YEAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAH

--
Gareth Owen
There ain't no sanity clause

In article <87vf7ame05.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

: 13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
: in 1981?
: The Ole House

Actually, the name of the song is "*This* Ole House."

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 11:50:19 PM

Erland Sommarskog (esqvel@sommarskog.se) writes:
> Gareth Owen (vsenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.vk) writes:
>>> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
>>> Evropean Union?
>>
>> Denmark?
>
> An answer that once was correct, bvt in this day and age is not. How
> many of the member covntries of the Evropean Union, extends the area
> of the EU fvrther north than Denmark?

A difficvlt qvestion that one! All Nordic covntries were svggested
bvt Iceland. Norway wovld indeed had been the northernmost covntry of
the Evropean Union, had it only been a member.

There are no less than five EU members that extends north of Denmark:
Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia and the UK. When Denmark and Britian
joined, Denmark was ahead of Britian, bvt Greenland has since then
left the Evropean Union.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esqvel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:37:16 AM

Keith Willoughby writes:
> 12) What colour is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?
> Gold/yellow

No, red. Bill Daly was the only one who got it right.
See <http://archeryweb.com/archery/images/olytargt.jpg&gt;.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "As long as that blue light is on, the
msb@vex.net computer is safe." -- Hot Millions

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> 12) What colour is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?
>> Gold/yellow
>
> No, red. Bill Daly was the only one who got it right.
> See <http://archeryweb.com/archery/images/olytargt.jpg&gt;.

That confirms that gold is the correct answer. You'll note that there is
a gold ring around the inner gold disk.

"I was an angry young man in need of an icon
and Leonid Brezhnev fell short on several counts"
-- Mark Steel
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:50:15 AM

schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:

> In article <87vf7ame05.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> : 13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
> : in 1981?
> : The Ole House
>
> Actually, the name of the song is "*This* Ole House."

Typo.

"And we were singing hymns and arias"
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:52:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Erland Sommarskog <esqvel@sommarskog.se> writes:

> Erland Sommarskog (esqvel@sommarskog.se) writes:
>>>
>>> Denmark?
>>
>> An answer that once was correct, bvt in this day and age is not. How
>> many of the member covntries of the Evropean Union, extends the area
>> of the EU fvrther north than Denmark?
>
> A difficvlt qvestion that one! All Nordic covntries were svggested
> bvt Iceland. Norway wovld indeed had been the northernmost covntry of
> the Evropean Union, had it only been a member.
>
> There are no less than five EU members that extends north of Denmark:
> Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia and the UK. When Denmark and Britian
> joined, Denmark was ahead of Britian, bvt Greenland has since then
> left the Evropean Union.

I tried to make it clear I wasn't looking for Greenland/Denmark by
specifying "continental". I knew it wasn't part of the EU, bvt I didn't
want to have to explain that dvring the qviz.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
Michael, they have taken yov away

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:

> In article <87vf7ame05.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> : 13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
> : in 1981?
> : The Ole House
>
> Actually, the name of the song is "*This* Ole House."

Actually, the name of the song is "This Ol' House"
--
Gareth Owen
"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph

In article <r5izmwk9nt0.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
: schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:
:> In article <87vf7ame05.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

:> : 13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
:> : in 1981?
:> : The Ole House

:> Actually, the name of the song is "*This* Ole House."

: Actually, the name of the song is "This Ol' House"

Take a look at the song listed as Number 6 on the 6 November 1954 Cash
Box Top 50 (http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/randypny/cashbox/19541106....)
and at the picture of the record that can be found at

http://www.moneyblows.com/My%20Pictures/jazzvocal/cloon...

and then report back what you find. At that point, I will be more than
willing to accept your undoubtedly grovelling apology.

(You can also find the song on several Rosemary Clooney CDs available at
Amazon -- e.g. "16 Biggest Hits," "The Essential Rosemary Clooney," but
the entry at Amazon only includes track listings rather than actual
photographs of the back covers; on the other hand, the track listings for
those records given at towerrecords.com have the same spelling.)

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:26:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:

> and then report back what you find. At that point, I will be more than
> willing to accept your undoubtedly grovelling apology.

Still got that winning personality, I see.

--
Gareth Owen
How I want a drink, alcoholic of course,

Keith Willovghby wrote:
> Welsh pvb, etc.

> GK
> 1) What is the name of the parrot in Treasvre Island?
polly
> 2) Which metal is the principle component of pewter?
lead or zinc
> 3) In which covntry is the northernmost point of the continental
> Evropean Union?
Estonia
> 4) What was the name of the call-girl implicated in the Profvmo affair
> who famovsly posed naked astride a chair?
Christine Keeler
> 5) This chocolate bar was lavnched as Rowntree's Chocolate Crisp in
> 1935. How is it known now?
> 6) Who wrote the novel Sense and Sensibility?
Jane Avsten
> 7) What do Americans call what we call a ladybird?
Ladybvg
> 8) What is the capital of Bvlgaria?
Sofia
> 9) Was Dame Anna Pavlova a ballet dancer, an opera singer, or an
> actress?
ballet dancer
> 10) Of what kind of alcoholic drink is Amontillado?
Some sort of fortified wine perhaps
> 11) What name is given to a male whose sole pvrpose is to mate
> with the qveen?
(IFYQFY) Prince Philip - Drone
> 12) Which one of the senses is known as olfactory?
smell
> 13) In which comic does Korky the Cat appear?
> 14) What name is given to a line on a map that links points of eqval
> temperatvre?
isotherm
> 15) Which Radio 2 DJ vsed to end his show with 'TTFN'?
Tony blackbvrn

> Sport
> 1) For a point each, name Wales's two try scorers on Satvrday.
williams and evans
> 2) Which London clvb are top of the Nationwide Conference?
fvlham
> 3) Who trained the Gold Cvp winner Kicking King?
> 4) At which weight was Alan Minter vndispvted world champion?
> 5) In which sport did the USA play the UK for the Wightman Cvp?
Tennis
> 6) How high, in feet and inches, is a standard badminton net?
6'6"
> 7) Who became the yovngest British football international when he made
> his debvt for Northern Ireland in 1982?
> 8) Tiger Woods has spent the longest at the top of the world golf
> rankings in their 19 year history. Which golfer has spent the second
> most nvmber of weeks at nvmber one?
Greg Norman
> 9) What is mainland Britain's most sovtherly racecovrse?

> 1) Which football team is nicknamed The Hornets?
> 11) What is the maximvm nvmber of clvbs a golfer in allowed in their
> bag?
14

> 12) What colovr is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?
yeller
> 13) Which snooker player was nicknamed The Grinder?
Ray Reardon
> 14) Who did Mvhammad Ali lose to in his last ever professional fight in
> 1981?
larry holmes
> 15) Which team occvpies the top two spots in the Formvla One driver's
> championship?
Renavlt

> MTVF
> 1) Clint Eastwood won an Oscar this year for Million Dollar Baby. For
> which film did he win his other Oscar?
Unforgiven
> 2) What was Sid Little's nickname?

> 3) What title was shared by a 1983 film abovt the space race and a 1988
> song by New Kids on the Block
The rigth stvff
> 4) Who was the police officer in the fictional town of Lochdvbh?
> 5) Which song has been taken to the top of the UK charts by the most
> nvmber of different artists?
vnchained melody
> 6) Which film's svbtitle is "Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love
> the Bomb"
Dr Strangelove
> 7) Which TV series was mostly set in the fictional Cabot Cove?

> 8) What was the name of Gene Hackman's character in The French
> Connection?
popeye doyle

> 9) What is the name of Michael Jackson's ranch?
Neverland

> 10) For a point each, name the two songs from Grease that were nvmber
> ones for John Travolta and Olivia Newton John in 1978?
Yov the one that I want. Svmmer lovin'
> 11) What was the name of Robby Jackson's dog in Eastenders?
> 12) In 1968, the Hvgo Montenegro Orchestra had a nvmber one with the
> theme tvne to which movie western?
> 13) Which song was a hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1954 and Shakin Stevens
> in 1981?
This ole hovse
> 14) Who played Bridget Jones on film?
Renee Zellweiger
3

> GK
> 1)Which Labovr MP loaned the money to Peter Mandelson that cavse him to
> resign from government?
> 2) Which Dickens novel featvres the character Bill Sykes?
oliver twist
> 3) What was the nickname of Sir Arthvr Travers Harris?
Lord Tweed might have been one bvt more commonly "Bomber"

> 4) What star sign wovld yov be if yov were born on St Andrew's day?
> 5) Which is the largest Greek island?
Crete
> 6) Who svcceeded Nasser as President of Egypt?
Sadat
> 7) What is photophobia the fear of?
light
> 8) Which mvsical instrvment is Patrick Moore famovs for playing?
The nose flvte
> 9) Which part of London is famovs for its diamond trade?
> 10) Which Norwegian politician's name is now vsed to refer to
> collaborators?
Qvisling
> 11) Who wrote the book The Complete Hip And Thigh Diet?
> 12) Which letter is represented in Morse Code by a single dot?
> 13) What did the cat food Kattomeat change its name to?
Kattamite
> 14) Which London tovrist attraction is next door to Madame Tvssavd's?
> 15) Who went to sea in a beavtifvl pea-green boat?
the owl and the pvssycat

> Bonvs Rovnd
>
> a) Fill in the woman's name in these songs
>
> Come On _Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Rvnners
> Jvdy In Disgvise (With Glasses) - John Fred and his Playboy Band
> Black Betty_ - Ram Jam
> Oh Carol - Neil Sedaka
> See Emily Play - Pink Floyd
> Pictvres of __________ - The Who
> Janie Jones - The Clash
> Annies's Song - John Denver
> Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
> Living Next Door To Alice - Smokie
> Mvstang Sally - Wilson Picket
> __________'s A Singer - Elkie Brooks
> __________'s Clown - The Everly Brothers
> Tell Lavra I Love Her - Ricky Valence
> Oh _________ - Shakin' Stevens
>

> b) Which 6 covntries are represented in the top 10 of the Official World
> Golf rankings?
USA, Fiji, Sovth Africa, Spain, Avstralia, Great Britain

> c) Name the last 7 Leaders of the Labovr Party before Tony Blair (order not important)
James Callaghan, Michael foot, Neil Kinnock, Harold Wilson, John (?)
Smith, Clement Atlee, Gaitskil or gateskvl or something like that

> d) Pictvre rovnd at http://flat222.org/keith/pictvres.pdf (200k)

2 Jvde Law
5 clark Gable and vivian leigh
6 Beethoven
8 Kvrt Rvssell
9 Celine dion
11 Mvssolini or maybe Alexei Sayle
12 Norway
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:28:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87psxgl36z.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
keith@flat222.org says...
> msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:
>
> > Keith Willoughby writes:
> >> 12) What colour is the inner ring of an Olympic archery target?
> >> Gold/yellow
> >
> > No, red. Bill Daly was the only one who got it right.
> > See <http://archeryweb.com/archery/images/olytargt.jpg&gt;.
>
> That confirms that gold is the correct answer. You'll note that there is
> a gold ring around the inner gold disk.

and being a pedant - a black ring around the inner most
yellow disc - delineating the inner from the outer.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:13:32 PM

In article <r5imzsk9huy.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
: schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:

:> and then report back what you find. At that point, I will be more than
:> willing to accept your undoubtedly grovelling apology.
:
: Still got that winning personality, I see.

I'll take that as your admission that you were wrong.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
The gardener plants an evergreen whilst trampling on a flower. . .
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:26:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:

> In article <r5imzsk9huy.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> : schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:
>
> :> and then report back what you find. At that point, I will be more than
> :> willing to accept your undoubtedly grovelling apology.
> :
> : Still got that winning personality, I see.
>
> I'll take that as your admission that you were wrong.

That must make you very, very happy.

"One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small"
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:26:17 PM

In article <87r7hvki2f.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
: schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:
:> In article <r5imzsk9huy.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
:> : schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:

:> :> and then report back what you find. At that point, I will be more than
:> :> willing to accept your undoubtedly grovelling apology.

:> : Still got that winning personality, I see.

:> I'll take that as your admission that you were wrong.

: That must make you very, very happy.

It doesn't make me either happy or unhappy; it was just an effort to save
Mr. Owen the trouble of having to do the work necessary to confirm that
his "correction" was an error. I hope that that revelation doesn't depress
you unduly.

-----
!