Possible New Virus/Spyware? (shared printers and folder)

Several hours ago, while roaming the internet (broadband connection),
something installed a new shared folder in the My Network Places folder and
several new shared printers on my computer. No software has been installed
recently. A check of the registry showed several dozen new entries relating
to those printers and that folder.

There are only two computers on this home-based network, with neither
sharing printers. None of the new printers (from HP, Canon, and others) are,
or have ever been, installed on either computer. Both computers have the
latest updates, are firewalled, and have anti-virus programs running.
Nothing caught the installation of those new printers or folder.

The folder was named "timbertime" and each registry entry found mentioned
that "timbertime" folder, often with very vague, inconsistent, internet
references. However, if this is a virus or spyware, that name may not remain
constant. Therefore, if you want to check your own computer, I would suggest
just checking for any new, unexpected, shared folders (whatever the name)
and any new, unexpected, shared printers.

At this point, my situation appears to be under control. I deleted all
temporary internet files, deleted the shared folder in My Network Places,
deleted the printers, and returned to a previous restore point to eliminate
the new registry entries. Finally, I used the Windows search feature to look
at every file/program created or changed within the last day and found
nothing unexpected. Since then, I've seen nothing out of the ordinary (no
new printers, folders, unusual network or internet activity, or anything
else).

Stewart

Dwight

Some basic steps to removing Spyware/Adware..

First step is to run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee
Stinger works for people.. download and run it..

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and Adaware
are available at these websites.. both are free.. download and run them..
don't forget to check for updates after you have started them..

.... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..

Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
updates..

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
different tools..

HijackThis is a popular and effective tool.. download it from here..

http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html

CWShredder will eliminate CoolWebSearch and variants.. there is a free
download here..

CWShredder.. http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

About:blank.. http://lunatic-skydance.de/mr/soft/SpoonWeg.exe

For other tools in the fight against spyware, visit this website and
bookmark it..

http://www.pchell.com

You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
for you..

http://www.mcafee.com
http://www.symantec.com
http://www.zonealarm.com
http://www.kerio.com
http://www.gate.com
http://www.grisoft.com

Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..

Good luck..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Dwight Stewart" wrote:

> Several hours ago, (snip)

Okay, I did a little more testing after posting that last message and was
able to get the folder and printers back again. Still more testing suggests
it had something to do with either "Microsoft Management Console" or
"Microsoft HTML Application Host" being selected as exceptions in the
Windows Firewall. After disabling those two exceptions, I was able to
repeat, several times, all the steps taken earlier without a repeat of the
problem. Now I just have to figure out which of those steps (which web site)
ultimately caused the folder and printers to appear. But, since I have a few
other things to do at the moment, that will have to wait till later.

Stewart