where in the registry are file association keys?

I have to change a file association via changing a registry key
directly. I know how to do it programmatically. What I need to know is
what registry keys need to be changed. Specifiically I need to associate
the file extension jsp with Internet explorer.

Thanks
Howie
4 answers Last reply
More about where registry file association keys

    Hi Howie,

    Which Programming language do you use? Writing / reading from registry is
    easy using VBScripts.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/wsmthregwrite.asp

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Howard Mintzer" <hmintzerNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I have to change a file association via changing a registry key directly. I
    >know how to do it programmatically. What I need to know is what registry
    >keys need to be changed. Specifiically I need to associate the file
    >extension jsp with Internet explorer.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Howie

    Ramesh,
    Sorry for the confusion. I program in dbase plus...my question is NOT
    HOW to change the registry ( i can do that) its what keys need to be
    changed to associate a file type (in this case jsp) with a program (in
    this case IE) so that when i double click on myfile.jsp it loads and
    runs in Internet Explorer

    Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:

    > Hi Howie,
    >
    > Which Programming language do you use? Writing / reading from registry
    > is easy using VBScripts.
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/wsmthregwrite.asp

    HKCR\.JSP
    (default) = jspfile

    HKCR\jspfile\shell\open\command
    "c:\Program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" "%1"

    Welcome to the MSDN Library:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/fileassociations/fileassoc.asp

    --

    > Ramesh,
    > Sorry for the confusion. I program in dbase plus...my question is NOT HOW
    > to change the registry ( i can do that) its what keys need to be changed
    > to associate a file type (in this case jsp) with a program (in this case
    > IE) so that when i double click on myfile.jsp it loads and runs in
    > Internet Explorer
    >
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Howie,
    >>
    >> Which Programming language do you use? Writing / reading from registry is
    >> easy using VBScripts.
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/wsmthregwrite.asp

  4. Quote:
    i think you can use a registry cleaner
    this is useful http://www.registryfix123.com/

    The post you are responding to is over 5 years old.

Registry File Association Windows XP