.rtf Microsoft Word document files, Cannot open

Suddenly, I cannot open an: .rtf Microsoft Word document file.

It is an incoming file from a trusted source.

I can download the file, see the corresponding file images, then when I
click on an image, I get a message from Micosoft Word (with the yellow
triangle enclosing an exclamation point) which says: The server application,
source file or item cannot be found. Make sure the application is properly
installed, and that it has not been deleted, moved, or renamed.

At this point, I do not know what to do next.

I am using Windows XP home, have Sv2 and all current patches installed.

I open other files from this source frequently, and have had no problem.

Please help me open this file, it is a work-related file, and I've tried so
many times already.

Thanking you in advance.

--
Tecla English
3 answers Last reply

    Hi, if you don't get an answer here, you could try the Word NG

    General questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement&lang=en&cr=US

    Application Errors
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.application.errors&lang=en&cr=US

    Tecla English wrote:
    > Suddenly, I cannot open an: .rtf Microsoft Word document file.
    >
    > It is an incoming file from a trusted source.
    >
    > I can download the file, see the corresponding file images, then when
    > I click on an image, I get a message from Micosoft Word (with the
    > yellow triangle enclosing an exclamation point) which says: The
    > server application, source file or item cannot be found. Make sure
    > the application is properly installed, and that it has not been
    > deleted, moved, or renamed.
    >
    > At this point, I do not know what to do next.
    >
    > I am using Windows XP home, have Sv2 and all current patches
    > installed.
    >
    > I open other files from this source frequently, and have had no
    > problem.
    >
    > Please help me open this file, it is a work-related file, and I've
    > tried so many times already.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance.

    Taurarian, thank you for your direction to these reference materials which I
    have studied and will continue to. Sorry it took me so long to respond to
    your reply. After reading this and other material and then attempts to
    convert the .rtf file in question to other application forms, I had no
    success.

    Kept getting the same error message: The server application, source file or
    item cannot be found. Make sure the application is properly installed, and
    that it has not been deleted, moved, or renamed.

    I may not be correct, but in studying the various reference materials, my
    last thought is that the file could have been corrupt and my computer would
    just not allow it to open, which I consider to be a good thing.

    "Taurarian" wrote:

    > Hi, if you don't get an answer here, you could try the Word NG
    >
    > General questions
    > http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement&lang=en&cr=US
    >
    > Application Errors
    > http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.application.errors&lang=en&cr=US
    >

    > Tecla English wrote:
    > > Suddenly, I cannot open an: .rtf Microsoft Word document file.
    > >
    > > It is an incoming file from a trusted source.
    > >
    > > I can download the file, see the corresponding file images, then when
    > > I click on an image, I get a message from Micosoft Word (with the
    > > yellow triangle enclosing an exclamation point) which says: The
    > > server application, source file or item cannot be found. Make sure
    > > the application is properly installed, and that it has not been
    > > deleted, moved, or renamed.
    > >
    > > At this point, I do not know what to do next.
    > >
    > > I am using Windows XP home, have Sv2 and all current patches
    > > installed.
    > >
    > > I open other files from this source frequently, and have had no
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Please help me open this file, it is a work-related file, and I've
    > > tried so many times already.
    > >
    > > Thanking you in advance.

  3. What's with all the necro-posting lately?

    This thread died 8 years ago.

Microsoft Word Document Windows XP