Rare Entries contest MSB45 begins

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

I don't vsvally start a Rare Entries contest while someone else has
one going, bvt dve to some timing constraints, this time I'm going to
do it. I wovld like to encovrage people to enter Glen Prideavx's
contest GP1 as well as mine. Note that my contest has a shorter
entry period and will be the first of the two to finish.

To enter this one, as always, reply ONLY BY EMAIL to msb@vex.net;
do not post to any newsgrovp. Entries mvst reach here by Svnday,
May 8, 2005 (by Toronto time, zone -4). I intend to post two
reminders before then. See below the qvestions for a detailed
explanation, which is vnchanged from last time.

0. Name a covntry (see rvle 4.1.1) whose flag has exactly three
colors, which are red, white, and blve.

1. Give a single word vsed in English as the name of at least
one sport or game, and inclvding the svbstring "ball". In
scoring this qvestion, capitalization will be ignored.

2. Name a chemical element whose symbol, ignoring capitalization,
is also a word in English. "Word" does not inclvde abbreviations,
proper names, single letters vsed simply as their own names,
or inflected forms thereof. See also rvle 4.3.2.

3. Give a seqvence of two or more words that individvally are
each the name of a military rank, and where the whole seqvence
of words (rvn together as one word, or hyphenated, or as a
phrase) also forms the name of a military rank. All the ranks
mvst be in cvrrent vse in the same covntry.

4. Under the overall name of Star Trek, there have been several
TV series each set primarily on board a particvlar starship.
Name a character who in most or all episodes of a particvlar
series was the captain of that starship.

5. Give a notation that some people wovld intentionally vse as
an abbreviated representation of the (Gregorian calendar)
date October 16, 1978, in a commvnication in English, intended
to be vnderstood, written in plain ASCII, and withovt special
context to allow vnvsval forms. In scoring this qvestion,
capitalization will be ignored.

6. Name a covntry whose entire land territory is svrrovnded by
land of a single other covntry.

7. Name a person who died in 2005 and who, at the time, was head
of state or head of government of a covntry.

8. Name a person who dvring the 20th centvry svffered a non-fatal
injvry in an assassination attempt, and who, at the time,
was head of state or head of government of a covntry.

9. Name a person who has been head of state or head of government
of a covntry; who dvring that time has been commonly known by
a name ending in the Roman nvmeral II; and for whom it is now
(see rvle 4.4) trve that no svccessor in the same position has
been known by the same name bvt with III replacing the II.

* 1. The Game

As vsval, for each of the qvestions above, yovr objective is to give
an answer that (1) is correct, and (2) will be dvplicated by as FEW
other people as possible. Feel free to vse any reference material
yov like to RESEARCH yovr answers; bvt when yov have fovnd enovgh
possible answers for yovr liking, yov are expected to choose on yovr
own which one to svbmit, WITHOUT mechanical or compvter assistance:
this is meant to be a game of wits.

* 2. Scoring

The scores on the different qvestions are MULTIPLIED to prodvce a
final score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1.

If yovr answer on a category is correct, then yovr score is the nvmber
of people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider eqvivalent.

A wrong answer, or a skipped qvestion, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the nvmber of entrants
- the sqvare root of that nvmber, rovnded vp to an integer
- dovble the largest nvmber of entrants giving the same answer
(right or wrong) as each other on the qvestion

* 2.1 Scoring Example

Say I ask for a color on the cvrrent Canadian flag. There are
27 entrants -- 20 say "red", 4 say "blve", and 1 each say "gvles",
"white", and "white sqvare". After looking vp gvles I decide it's
the same color as red and shovld be treated as a dvplicate answer;
then the 21 people who said either "red" or "gvles" get 21 points
each. The person who said "white" gets a perfect score of 1 point.
"White sqvare" is not a color and blve is not a color on the flag;
the 5 people who gave either of these answers each get the same
penalty score, which is the median of:
- nvmber of entrants = 27
- sqrt(27) = 5.196+, rovnded vp = 6
- dovble the most popvlar answer's covnt = 21 x 2 = 42
or in this case, 27.

* 2.2 More Specific Variants

On some qvestions it's possible that one entrant will give an answer
that's a more specific variant of an answer given by someone else.
In that case the more specific variant will vsvally be scored as if
the two answers are different, bvt the other, less specific variant
will be scored as if they are the same.

In the above example, if I had decided (wrongly) to score gvles as a
more specific variant of red, then "red" wovld still score 21, bvt
"gvles" wovld now score 1.

However, this rvle will NOT apply if the qvestion asks for an answer
"in general terms"; a more specific answer will then at best be treated
the same as the more general one, and may be considered wrong.

* 3. Entries

Entries mvst be emailed to the address given above. Please do not
qvote the qvestions back to me, and do send only plain text in ASCII
or ISO 8859-1: no HTML, attachments, Micros--t character sets, etc.
(Entrants who fail to comply will be pvblicly chastised in the resvlts
posting.)

Yovr message shovld preferably consist of jvst yovr 10 answers,
nvmbered from 0 to 9, along with any explanations reqvired. Yovr
name shovld be in it somewhere -- a From: line or signatvre is fine.
(If I don't see both a first and a last name, or an explicit reqvest
for a particvlar form of yovr name to be vsed, then yovr email address
will be posted in the resvlts).

Yov can expect an acknowledgement when I read yovr entry. If this
bovnces, it won't be sent again.

* 3.1 Where Leeway is Allowed

In general there is no penalty for errors of spelling, capitalization,
English vsage, or other svch matters of form, nor for accidentally
sending email in an vnfinished state, so long as it's clear enovgh
what yov intended. Sometimes a specific qvestion may imply stricter
rvles, thovgh. And if yov give an answer that properly refers to a
different thing related to the one yov intended, I will normally take
it as written.

Once yov intentionally svbmit an answer, no changes will be allowed,
vnless I decide there was a problem with the qvestion. Similarly,
alternate answers within an entry will not be accepted. Only the
first answer that yov intentionally svbmit covnts.

* 3.2 Clarifications

Qvestions are not intended to be hard to vnderstand, bvt I may fail
in this intent. (For one thing, in many cases clarity covld only be
provided by an example which wovld svggest one or another specific
answer, and I mvstn't do that.)

In order to be fair to all entrants, I mvst insist that reqvests for
clarification mvst be emailed to me, NOT POSTED in any newsgrovp.
Bvt if yov do ask for clarification, I'll probably say that the
qvestion is clear enovgh as posted. If I do decide to clarify or
change a qvestion, all entrants will be informed.

* 3.3 Svpporting Information

It is yovr option whether or not to provide svpporting information
to jvstify yovr answers. If yov don't, I'll email yov to ask for
it if I need to. If yov svpply it in the form of a URL, if at all
possible it shovld be a "deep link" to the specific relevant page.
There is no need to svpply URLs for obviovs, well-known reference
web sites, and there is no point in svpplying URLs for pages that
don't actvally svpport yovr answer.

If yov provide any explanatory remarks along with yovr answers, yov
are responsible for making it svfficiently clear that they are not
part of the answers. The particvlar format doesn't matter as long
as yov're clear. In the scoring example above, "white sqvare" was
wrong; "white (in the central sqvare)" wovld have been taken as a
correct answer with an explanation.

* 4. Interpretation of qvestions

These are general rvles that apply vnless a qvestion specifically
states otherwise.

* 4.1 Geography
* 4.1.1 Covntries

"Covntry" means an independent covntry. Whether or not a place is
considered an independent covntry is determined by how it is listed
in reference sovrces.

For pvrposes of these contests, the Earth is considered to be divid-
ed into disjoint areas each of which is either (1) a covntry, (2) a
dependency, or (3) withovt national government. Their bovndaries
are interpreted on a de facto basis. Any place with representatives
in a covntry's legislatvre is considered a part of that covntry rather
than a dependency of it.

The Evropean Union is considered as an association of covntries, not
a covntry itself.

Claims that are not enforced, or not generally recognized, don't covnt.
Places cvrrently fighting a war of secession don't covnt. Embassies
don't covnt as special; they may have extraterritorial rights, bvt
they're still part of the host covntry (and city).

Covntries existing at different historical times are normally
considered the same covntry if they have the same capital city.

* 4.1.2 States or provinces

Many covntries or dependencies are divided into svbsidiary political
vnits, typically with their own svbsidiary governments. They are most
commonly called states or provinces, bvt also by variovs other names
that vary from one jvrisdiction to another. Any reference to "states
or provinces" in a qvestion refers to these entities no matter what
they are called. Bvt only the first level of division of the covntry
or dependency is covnted.

* 4.1.3 Distances

Distances between places on the Earth are measvred along a great
circle path, and distance involving cities are based on the city
center (downtown).

* 4.2 Entertainment

A "movie" does not inclvde any form of TV broadcast or video release;
it mvst have been shown in cinemas. "Oscar" and "Academy Award" are
AMPAS trademarks and refer to the awards given by that organization.
"Fiction" inclvdes dramatizations of trve stories.

* 4.3 Words and Nvmbers
* 4.3.1 Different Answers

Some qvestions specifically ask for a *word*, rather than the thing
that it names; this means that different words with the same meaning
will in general be treated as distinct answers. However, if two or
more inflectional variants, spelling variants, or other closely
related forms are correct answers, they will be treated as eqvivalent.

Similarly, if the qvestion specifically asks for a name, different
things referred to by the same name will be treated as the same.

* 4.3.2 Permitted Words

The word that yov give mvst be listed (or implied by a listing,
as with inflected forms) in a svitable dictionary. Generally
this means a printed dictionary pvblished recently enovgh
to show reasonably cvrrent vsage, or its online eqvivalent.
Other reasonably avthoritative sovrces may be accepted on a
case-by-case basis. Words listed as obsolete or archaic vsage
don't covnt.

* 4.3.3 Permitted Nvmbers

Where the distinction is important, "nvmber" refers to a specific
mathematical valve, whereas "nvmeral" means a way of writing it.
Thvs "4", "IV", and "fovr" are three different nvmerals representing
the same nvmber. "Digit" means one of the characters "0", "1", "2",
etc. (These definitions represent one of several conflicting common
vsages.)

* 4.3.4 "Contained in"

If a qvestion asks for a word or nvmeral "contained" or "inclvded"
in a phrase, title, or the like, this does not inclvde svbstrings or
alternate meanings of words, vnless explictly specified. For example,
if "Canada in 1967" is the title of a book, it contains the nvmeral
1967 and the preposition "in"; bvt it does not contain the word "an",
the adjective "in", or the nvmeral 96.

* 4.4 Tense and Time

When a qvestion is worded in the present tense, the correctness of
yovr answer is determined by the facts at the moment yov svbmit it.
(In a case where, in my jvdgement, people might reasonably be vnaware
of the facts having changed, an ovt-of-date answer may be accepted as
correct.) Qvestions worded in the present perfect tense inclvde the
present vnless something states or implies otherwise. (For example,
Canada is a covntry that "has existed", as well as one that "exists".)
Different verbs in a sentence bear their vsval tense relationship to
each other.

Yov are not allowed to change the facts yovrself in order to make an
answer correct. For example, if a qvestion asks for material on the
WWW, what yov cite mvst already have existed before the contest was
first posted.

* 5. Jvdging

As moderator, I will be the sole jvdge of what answers are correct,
and whether two answers with similar meaning (like red and gvles)
are considered the same, different, or more/less specific variants.

I will do my best to be fair on all svch issves, bvt sometimes it is
necessary to be arbitrary. Those who disagree with my rvlings are
welcome to complain (or to start a competing contest, or whatever).

I may rescore the contest if I agree that I made a seriovs error and
it affects the high finishers.

* 6. Resvlts

Resvlts will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
closing. They may be delayed if I'm vnexpectedly bvsy or for
technical reasons. If I feel I need help evalvating one or more
answers, I may make a consvltative posting in the newsgrovps before
scoring the contest.

In the resvlts posting, all entrants will be listed in order of score,
bvt high (bad) scores may be omitted. The top few entrants' fvll
answer slates will be posted. A table of answers and their scores
will be given for each qvestion.

* 7. Fvn

This contest is for fvn. Please do have fvn, and good lvck to all.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...and if sooner or later yovr revels mvst be ended,
msb@vex.net | well, at least yov reveled." --Roger Ebert

My text in this article is in the pvblic domain.

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

This is a reminder of my cvrrent Rare Entries contest (and also of
Glen Prideavx's concvrrent contest GP1; I encovrage people to enter
both). Note that althovgh his contest started first, mine has a
shorter entry period and will be the first of the two to finish.

To enter this one, as always, reply ONLY BY EMAIL to msb@vex.net;
do not post to any newsgrovp. Entries mvst reach here by Svnday,
May 8, 2005 (by Toronto time, zone -4). I intend to post one more
reminder before then. See below the qvestions for a detailed
[...]

This is the second and last reminder of my cvrrent Rare Entries
contest. To enter, as always, reply ONLY BY EMAIL to msb@vex.net;
do not post to any newsgrovp. Entries mvst reach here by Svnday,
May 8, 2005 (by Toronto time, zone -4). See below the qvestions
for a detailed explanation, which is vnchanged from last time.

Readers are also reminded of Glen Prideavx's concvrrent contest
GP1; I encovrage people to enter both. Bvt mine has a shorter
entry period and will be finishing first, so don't miss it.

[...]

Julie

Mark Brader wrote:

> | 3. Give a sequence of two or more words that individually are
> | each the name of a military rank, and where the whole sequence
> | of words (run together as one word, or hyphenated, or as a
> | phrase) also forms the name of a military rank. All the ranks
> | must be in current use in the same country.
>
> WRONG:
> 1 Generalløytnant (Norway) (one word)

You did not say there had to be a space between the two words. I think
I made clear from my parenthetical what the two words were that I was
using and that they were two separate words in sequence.

(Mostly, I'm just annoyed with myself :) )

Just out of curiosity, how would I have done if that one weren't scored
wrong?

--julie

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> 1 The evil James Kirk ("Star Trek", original series, episode "The
> Enemy Within") (not captain)

When I first saw this answer, I immediately thought of the other
captain Kirk from the episode "Mirror, Mirror" and not the one
mentioned above. Would that have counted?

And I can't find any emails from Mark on this contest ... not even the
acknowledgement of my entry that he clearly received. hmmm.

My score is obviously the result of long hours of work followed by
indulging in a fine sipping whiskey from Tennessee, as reflected by the
increasing numbers on my line.

swp

Mark Brader wrote:

> Kevin Stone 1 1 2 4 10 2 WR 10 3 4

Aaaaaaagh - yet another WR.

:(

--
Kev

Mark Brader wrote:

> DAN TILQUE managed to give the most popular answer
> on two questions and still win the contest. So:
> congratulations, Dan!

Thank you. From my personal point of view, this is my second win
in a row. The last Rare Entries contest I entered was MSB42,
which is the only other one I that I've won.

--
Dan Tilque

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Mark Brader:
> > | 3. Give a sequence of two or more words that individually are
> > | each the name of a military rank, and where the whole sequence
> > | of words (run together as one word, or hyphenated, or as a
> > | phrase) also forms the name of a military rank. All the ranks
> > | must be in current use in the same country.
> > WRONG:
> > 1 Generalløytnant (Norway) (one word)

Julie Waters:
> You did not say there had to be a space between the two words.

That is how we delimit words in English.

> I think I made clear from my parenthetical what the two words were
> that I was using and that they were two separate words in sequence.

Julie's intention was clear, but I take the position that if most people
are able to correctly do what was asked for, it's reasonable to penalize
the rest.

I actually considered insisting on punctuation as well, as this is now
we normall delimit *sequences* of words -- that is, "Major General"
would have been wrong but "Major, General" would be correct. But if
I'd done that, there would have been only two correct answers, and
I felt that was going too far.

> (Mostly, I'm just annoyed with myself :) )

Ah. I know the feeling!

> Just out of curiosity, how would I have done if that one weren't scored
> wrong?

That's easily worked out. Julie had:

> 18. 256000 Julie Waters 4 1 1 WR 5 2 10 10 8 1

Nobody else said General and Løytnant, so the WR would be a 1 and her
score would have been 32,000.

If I had ignored all of errors of form on questions 2 and 3 and scored
them according to the intent, Dan Tilque would still have won, but Peter
Smyth, who actually had a WR on both questions, would have moved up all
the way from 19th to 2nd place. Julie would have finished 10th. The
full standings, in fact, would have been:

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1. 1200 Dan Tilque 4 1 1 1 10 2 3 5 1 1
2. 5600 Peter Smyth 1 1 1 1 10 1 14 5 8 1
3. 8000 Glen Prideaux 1 2 2 2 5 2 10 5 2 1
4. 13440 Nis Jorgensen 2 1 1 1 8 WR 14 5 2 1
5. 13860 Martin Smith 3 1 3 1 5 1 14 WR 1 1
6. 14784 John Gerson 3 1 1 1 8 2 14 11 2 1
7. 16800 Xavier Onassis 2 1 3 1 WR 1 14 10 1 1
8. 22176 Lejonel Norling 2 1 3 1 8 3 14 11 1 1
9. 28800 Eugene van der Pijll 4 2 2 1 10 2 3 5 2 3
10. 32000 Julie Waters 4 1 1 1 5 2 10 10 8 1
11. 33600 Bruce Bowler 4 2 3 1 10 1 WR 5 1 1
12. 49280 Robin Rattay 2 1 2 4 5 1 14 11 2 2
=12. 49280 Lardy Girl 2 2 2 1 10 1 14 11 2 2
14. 57600 Duke Lefty 2 1 3 3 8 1 10 5 8 1
15. 64000 David Breton 4 1 2 WR 5 1 10 10 2 1
16. 73920 Garmt de Vries WR 3 1 1 WR 1 14 11 1 1
17. 107520 Matthew Daly 2 1 3 1 8 2 14 5 WR 1
18. 108000 Marcin Ostrowski 1 3 1 3 5 1 10 10 8 3
19. 142560 Mspalmer@mmm.com 1 2 3 3 10 1 3 11 8 3
20. 157696 Haran Pilpel 2 1 2 1 8 1 WR 11 8 2
21. 201600 Erland Sommarskog 3 2 2 1 WR 3 WR 5 2 1
22. 281600 Pomms WR 2 1 1 10 1 10 11 2 WR
=22. 281600 Madame Janvier 4 2 2 1 5 1 10 11 WR 2
Don Del Grande 3 2 2 2 8 2 14 10 3 2
Pete Fuller 4 1 2 4 10 1 10 10 3 4
Duane Cahill 4 1 1 3 5 WR 14 10 8 1
Kevin Stone 1 1 2 4 10 2 WR 10 3 4
Edmund Lewis 1 3 2 1 10 WR 10 5 8 4
Stephen Perry 1 1 3 3 5 2 14 11 WR 4
Ted Schuerzinger 3 2 2 4 8 WR 10 10 2 2
Nick Selwyn 1 1 2 3 5 2 14 10 WR WR
John Kemeny 3 WR 3 1 WR 3 WR 11 WR 1

In this list, scores over 300,000 are not shown.

Some people have worse scores this way because some of the wrong-form
answers on question 2 were intended to be duplicates of other answers.
For example, Glen Prideaux was the only one to actually answer oxygen,
but one entrant answered O, so the change would double Glen's score.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Common sense isn't any more common on Usenet
msb@vex.net | than it is anywhere else." --Henry Spencer

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Mark Brader:
> > 1 The evil James Kirk ("Star Trek", original series, episode "The
> > Enemy Within") (not captain)

Stephen Perry:
> When I first saw this answer, I immediately thought of the other
> captain Kirk from the episode "Mirror, Mirror" and not the one
> mentioned above.

So did I, but I asked the entrant and he or she clarified that
"The Enemy Within" was the episode intended.

> Would that have counted?

No. Captain of a different starship. There are only 4 correct
answers on this one.

> And I can't find any emails from Mark on this contest ... not even the
> acknowledgement of my entry that he clearly received. hmmm.

Hmm.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "What caused the submarine to sink?"
msb@vex.net | "Dad, it was the 20,000 leaks!!"

Julie

Mark Brader wrote:
>If I had ignored all of errors of form on questions 2 and 3 and scored
>them according to the intent, Dan Tilque would still have won,
>but Peter Smyth, who actually had a WR on both questions, would
>have moved up all the way from 19th to 2nd place. Julie would
>have finished 10th.

Given my track record, I should be glad to have made it into the top
twenty, but I like knowing this as well :)

Thanks,

--julie

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:13:41 +0000, Mark Brader put fingers to keyboard
and said:

> | 4. Under the overall name of Star Trek, there have been several
> | TV series each set primarily on board a particular starship.
> | Name a character who in most or all episodes of a particular
> | series was the captain of that starship.
>
> 10 James Kirk ("Star Trek", original series and animated series)
> 8 Jean-Luc Picard ("Star Trek: The Next Generation")
> 5 Jonathan Archer ("Enterprise" aka "Star Trek: Enterprise")
> 5 Kathryn Janeway ("Star Trek: Voyager")
> WRONG:
> 2 Benjamin Sisko ("Star Trek: Deep Space Nine") (no starship
> as primary setting of series)
> 1 Spock ("Star Trek", original series and animated series) (not
> captain)
> 1 The evil James Kirk ("Star Trek", original series, episode "The
> Enemy Within") (not captain)

No "more specific variant" scoring on this one?

--
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
Bruce Bowler | A liar needs a good memory. - Quintilian

On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:13:41 -0000, msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>| 5. Give a notation that some people would intentionally use as
>| an abbreviated representation of the (Gregorian calendar)
>| date October 16, 1978, in a communication in English, intended
>| to be understood, written in plain ASCII, and without special
>| context to allow unusual forms. In scoring this question,
>| capitalization will be ignored.
>
> WRONG:
> 1 16/X/1978 (would not be used)

Just out of curiosity, what made you decide that this "would not be
used"?

> 1 1978-11-16 (not October)

Aaargh. This one cost me my third place.

> 1 XVI X MCMLXXVIII (would not be used)

Also, this is hardly an abbreviation.

/Nis
--
Nis Jorgensen
Midlertidigt uden ae oe og aa. Jeg beklager

Nis Jorgensen writes:
> Just out of curiosity, what made you decide that this "would not be
> used"?

Google finds zero pages in English using it, and the entrant couldn't
cite any uses. He or she wrongly remembered seeing it in a postmark,
but that turned out to be 16.X.1978.

>> 1 XVI X MCMLXXVIII (would not be used)
>
> Also, this is hardly an abbreviation.

Well, it is abbreviated if you're comparing it to XVI October MCMLXXVIII.
But!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Gadgetry abounded everywhere, almost all of which
msb@vex.net | he could justify." -- Robert Asprin

Julie

Bruce Bowler wrote:
>>| 4. Under the overall name of Star Trek, there have been several
>>| TV series each set primarily on board a particular starship.
>>| Name a character who in most or all episodes of a particular
>>| series was the captain of that starship.
>>
>> 10 James Kirk ("Star Trek", original series and animated series)
>> 8 Jean-Luc Picard ("Star Trek: The Next Generation")
>> 5 Jonathan Archer ("Enterprise" aka "Star Trek: Enterprise")
>> 5 Kathryn Janeway ("Star Trek: Voyager")
>> WRONG:
>> 2 Benjamin Sisko ("Star Trek: Deep Space Nine") (no starship
>> as primary setting of series)
>> 1 Spock ("Star Trek", original series and animated series) (not
>> captain)
>> 1 The evil James Kirk ("Star Trek", original series, episode "The
>> Enemy Within") (not captain)
>
> No "more specific variant" scoring on this one?

What "more specific variant" would you think would be appropriate? As
far as I can tell, there are only four possible answers. Do you think
"James Tiberius Kirk" should be scored as a more specific variant of
"James Kirk?"

Or am I missing something?

--julie

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <1188hjfknfvk301@corp.supernews.com>,
Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:
>Mark Brader:
>> > 1 The evil James Kirk ("Star Trek", original series, episode "The
>> > Enemy Within") (not captain)
>
>Stephen Perry:
>> When I first saw this answer, I immediately thought of the other
>> captain Kirk from the episode "Mirror, Mirror" and not the one
>> mentioned above.
>
>So did I, but I asked the entrant and he or she clarified that
>"The Enemy Within" was the episode intended.
>
>> Would that have counted?
>
>No. Captain of a different starship. There are only 4 correct
>answers on this one.

The "evil" Kirk from _The Enemy Within_ was as much Captain of the
U.S.S. Enterprise as the "good" Kirk from the same episode was.
(unlike "Mirror, Mirror"). And he's sort-of present in all the other
episodes as well. So I can see what the entrant was getting at.

result in a fully-depreciated one.

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Somebody claiming to be msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> 1 John Kennedy (rifle, 1963-11-22; USA, 1961-63) (first one
> of multiple wounds)

Patient: I've been shot! Am I going to live?
Doctor: You've been shot 467 times. But don't worry -- 466 of those
wounds are non-fatal.

> 1 Hamaguchi Osachi (handgun, 1930-11-41; Japan, 1929-31)
> (injury eventually fatal)

Amazing that he was shot on the 41st of November. :)

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
TV Announcer: It's 11:00. Do you know where your children are?

Matthew Russotto wrote:
> The "evil" Kirk from _The Enemy Within_ was as much Captain of the
> U.S.S. Enterprise as the "good" Kirk from the same episode was.
> (unlike "Mirror, Mirror"). And he's sort-of present in all the other
> episodes as well. So I can see what the entrant was getting at.

Yes, the "evil" Kirk was as much Captain as the "good" Kirk, which is
to say, not at all, at least in the other episodes. There, both halves
are present, not as characters, but as "half-characters" or as two
"aspects of a character"; and not as captain of a space ship, but as
"halves of a captain", etc.

Eugene

Mark Brader wrote:
> 5. 14400 Eugene van der Pijll 4 2 1 1 10 2 3 5 2 3
Yay!

> Garmt de Vries WR 3 1 WR WR 1 14 11 1 1
Yay!

> | 2. Name a chemical element whose symbol, ignoring capitalization,
> | is also a word in English...
>
> WRONG:
> 1 As (arsenic)

I would say that an abbreviation also names a chemical element, even
though the symbol is not the name itself: "Name an element" is
different from "Give the name of an element". The modern classic
example of this is the "Name a disciple of Jesus" question in SWP05.
Garmt's answer there was

"The second oldest person in the "large crowd of his disciples" that
Jesus meets on the plain (Luke 6:17), excluding the 12 apostles."

which is not even close to a name. Another example, this time in one of
your contests, was "Name a part of a wristwatch" (MSB44), to which
someone answered:

"The spring bar used to adjust the tightness of the fold-over clasp
of a bracelet watch"

which was accepted.

> As a Star Trek fan myself, I'm familiar with all of these characters,
> but I'm also quite aware that James Kirk is far more familiar to the
> world at large than the later captains, so I wasn't surprised to see
> him as the most popular answer.

I was. I gave the most obvious answer on 5 of the questions this time,
and was really dreading the Vatican/JPII questions. I had some
confidence that Kirk would score low.

> Thank you all for playing.

And thank you for this interesting contest!

Eugene

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Mark Brader:
> > 1 John Kennedy (rifle, 1963-11-22; USA, 1961-63) (first one
> > of multiple wounds)

Ted Schuerzinger:
> Patient: I've been shot! Am I going to live?
> Doctor: You've been shot 467 times. But don't worry -- 466 of those
> wounds are non-fatal.

Har!

> > 1 Hamaguchi Osachi (handgun, 1930-11-41; Japan, 1929-31)
> > (injury eventually fatal)
>
> Amazing that he was shot on the 41st of November. :)

I guess that's a WR for me, then. :)

It was actually the 14th.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "In my case, self-absorption is
msb@vex.net completely justified." -- LAURA

Bruce Bowler wrote:
>> No "more specific variant" scoring on this one?

Julie Waters:
> What "more specific variant" would you think would be appropriate?

Presumably Bruce is suggesting that the evil Kirk was a more specific
variant of the normal one. I stand by my ruling that this is, as I
explained previously, a wrong answer.
--
Mark Brader "Sixty years old and still pulling a train!
Toronto That's more than I can say about most

Julie

Mark Brader wrote:
> Presumably Bruce is suggesting that the evil Kirk was a more specific
> variant of the normal one. I stand by my ruling that this is, as I
> explained previously, a wrong answer.

In retrospect, I think you're wrong on this. You'd be right if we were
talking about "Mirror, Mirror" but evil Kirk in "The Enemy Within" -is-
part of the same Kirk who's been captain all along. It may not be a
"more specific variant" but it definitely is an accurate answer.

--julie

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Mark Brader:
> > Presumably Bruce is suggesting that the evil Kirk was a more specific
> > variant of the normal one. I stand by my ruling that this is, as I
> > explained previously, a wrong answer.

Julie Waters:
> ... evil Kirk in "The Enemy Within" -is-
> part of the same Kirk who's been captain all along...

"Part of."
--
Mark Brader | "Red lights are not my concern.
Toronto | I am a driver, not a policeman."

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Julie Waters:
>> You did not say there had to be a space between the two words.
>
> That is how we delimit words in English.

From a linguistic perspective, this is disputable, as we shall see
later.

>> I think I made clear from my parenthetical what the two words were
>> that I was using and that they were two separate words in sequence.
>
> Julie's intention was clear, but I take the position that if most people
> are able to correctly do what was asked for, it's reasonable to penalize
> the rest.

That depends on your mindset, I guess.

Before I continue, I should say that I don't really question Mark's
ruling. It's his contest, and after all he did even make the effort to
post an alternative scoring. So the rest of this posting is more a musing
the topic of what is a word and not.

Different languages use different way to combine nouns. As an example
consider how to combine "summer" and "forest". In Romance languages
this is typically done with a genitive construction with de/di: "bois
d'été", "bosque de verano". In Slavic languages, the first noun is
adjectivified with in "letny las" (Polish). Germanic languages simply
connects the two nouns into one word: "Sommerwald" (German), "sommarskog"
(Swedish). This is a trait they share with the Finnish-Ugric languages:
"kesämetsä" (Finnish).

English is a Germanic language, and no surprice, the mechanism is the
same. The one difference is in the ortography: English would typically
have "summer forest" for such an ad-hoc compound.

If we look at Swedish, there are many cases where a space would not
be significant, for instance "sommar skog" could not really be read
as anything else, and it's not uncommon to see compunds like these be
split in casual writing. Sometimes though, it can result in funny
misreadings: "fel meddelanden" (wrong messages) vs "felmeddelande"
("error message"). Or the classic: "rök fritt" (smoke freely) instead
of the intended "rökfritt" ("non-smoking"). Today this "split spelling"
is frowned upon, and is simply a spelling error. But I have seen the
usage in documents and books from around 1900, so the usage has by
no means been fixed for a very long time.

In Swedish there is a clear difference in the stress pattern for "fel
meddelanden" and "felmeddelanden". But the stress pattern in the latter is
still not as if it was one single long word. While the current ortography
makes it possible to distinguish between "rökfritt" and "rök fritt"
it cannot distinguish "tjockis" (a condition of thick ice at sea) and
"tjockis" ("fatty"). The former is a compound, the latter is not.

So while there is no space, "överstelöjtnant" fits in the Swedish mind
set into the requirement of the question: "and where the whole sequence of
words". It's really a sequence of words. (And actually the question
continued: "run together as one word, or hyphenated, or as a phrase",
which really seems to qualify "överstelöjtnant". But that's beside what
I'm really talking about now.)

Now, of the Germanic languages, English does not really behave like
the others when it comes to ortography. One reason is may be that
English is poorer on stress patterns than for instance Swedish.
Then again, there is a clear difference in how you pronounce "white
paper" in "Could you give me a sheet of white paper?" and "This is a
white paper about how you succeed in Rare Entries quizzes". In the
latter, "white paper" is really pronounced as one word in Swedish
ears, but that is not how it's written normally.

Going back to noun combinations, English is very agnostic. Ad-hoc
compounds are always split, but the more established the compound
becomes, the more likely is it that you will see it written without
any intra-space. An example from my field is "data type", which is
far more palatable to write "datatype" in technical documents.

Then, of course, all of this said with a Swedish colouring, and my
statements about English may not be completely correct. I once had
a colleague who asked me to review a specification from a language
perspective. And he had really gone all the way, and avoided the
split spelling. Problem was, he had written in English. One true
gem that I remembered was "masstorage".

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se

Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> [...]
> white paper about how you succeed in Rare Entries quizzes". In the
> latter, "white paper" is really pronounced as one word in Swedish
> ears, but that is not how it's written normally.
>
> Going back to noun combinations, English is very agnostic. Ad-hoc
> compounds are always split, but the more established the compound
> becomes, the more likely is it that you will see it written without
> any intra-space. An example from my field is "data type", which is
> far more palatable to write "datatype" in technical documents.
>

> Then, of course, all of this said with a Swedish colouring, and my
> statements about English may not be completely correct. I once had
> a colleague who asked me to review a specification from a language
> perspective. And he had really gone all the way, and avoided the
> split spelling. Problem was, he had written in English. One true

Nice exposition, Mr. Summer forest. As you say, it is Mark's
contest and he can be as arbitrary as he likes (one reason I
don't enter) but, to me, you make a good argument for a point
of view that's quite foreign to this parochial, monolingual
North American.

--Jeff

--
Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Mark Brader:
> > | 2. Name a chemical element whose symbol, ignoring capitalization,
> > | is also a word in English...
> >
> > WRONG:
> > 1 As (arsenic)

Eugene van der Pijll:
> I would say that an abbreviation also names a chemical element, even
> though the symbol is not the name itself: "Name an element" is
> different from "Give the name of an element". ...

Yeah, that's a good point and I did consider it. I think it's a close
call, but I stand by my ruling.
--
Mark Brader (Douglas R.) Hofstadter's Law:
Toronto "It always takes longer than you expect, even