RE: 9600 Pro owning 5900 ultra in HL2 benchies

rain_king_uk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
Is it my imagination or are the 9600 Pro benchies done with a lower spec machine. I was just looking through extremetech's article and I saw this:

Test systems for the Radeon 9800 Pro/GeForceFX 5900 Ultra matchup had the following components:

2.8GHz Pentium 4 GPU with HyperThreading enabled and an 800MHz FSB
Intel 875P chipset
1GB 400MHz DDR SDRAM system memory
Windows XP with Service Pack 1
DirectX 9.0b

Test systems for the Radeon 9600 Pro/GeForceFX 5600 matchup had the following components:

2.8GHz Pentium 4 GPU (no HyperThreading) with a 533MHz FSB
SiS 655 chipset
1GB 400MHz DDR SDRAM system memory
Windows XP with Service Pack 1
DirectX 9.0b

If so, then the 9600Pro scores are even more impressive.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They were probably trying to represent real world examples of "high end" and "midrange" systems, you have to remember that the 5600 system was made to compare to the 9600 system, and the 5900 with the 9800.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
i remembered that. the 9600 Pro wins because of the price.
I think the formula is like these:

Performance = $dollar/FPS.

<font color=red>If your nose <b>RUNS</b>, and feet <b>SMELL</b>.
Then you must be born <b>UPSIDE DOWN</b>.</font color=red>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
and in that comparison the 5900 is the worst performer all in all. Because of their price.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
In the $/FPS the R9600 Pro owned everything. It was kind of weird though seeing that the 5900 Ultra had a better banf for buck than the 5200 Ultra and the 5600 Ultra.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
too much excitements for HL2, can we just wait for the product to be released. And when official HL2 benchmarks is released in the net, it's the perfect time in making decisions of what card should we get.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
and it seems that DOOMIII is been buried by HL2 by now.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
and it seems that DOOMIII is been buried by HL2 by now.

Yeah really. I don't think this community has ever had so much buzz over one game. In fact its the wrong forum to an extent. HL2 is a "game" and not a "graphics card". But it works out ok since "graphics cards" are required to render "games".

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

eden

Champion
When DOOM III's ready to come out and there are benches and even more nVidia controversies around THAT game :wink: , we'll get a forum filled with D3 content!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
and that mid-2004 release issue, i think it ain't official yet, anything could still happen.

I just hope Doom3 will be released this Christmas or Early January.

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
It's sad really, to see the 9600Pro beat the 5900 Ultra. Now if only ATI would release a low-end dx 9 card. How much would you want to bet the 9300 would beat the 5600 Ultra?

As each day goes by, I hug my 9600Pro just a little tighter.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I could almost bet my all future property and financial value of my entire life that a DX9 "9300" or "9400" would squash the Fx 5600 into oblivion!

endyen

Splendid
A low end Ati Dx9 card would actually work in Dx9.
But cheer up all you nvidiots, remember that 3D Mark 03 had Dx9 shaders as well, and with a little cheating the fx cards did great. They will pull off the same for HL2. Sure the Atis will have better IQ, but being able to see who you're fragging just aint that big a deal.

As much as there is 'frenzy' over this, there was equally as much frenzy about the D]|[ early release benchmarks at first (and you will still see DumbA$$ refering to them.
It's only natural, there are really only two games out there that everyone is 'building systems around/for' and that's HL2 and D]|[.

I would like more info, but we will have to wait. So the talking heads have to do something in the meatime or else they turn into Bobble-heads. You probably wondered where those came from didn't you? :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

TRENDING THREADS