latitude cd drive

Looking for a cheap external CD drive for a LS H400ST - UK
Post here if you have one.
Thnx
Paul

do you have the cable that connects between your system and the external cd
or floppy drive? if so then you can connect just about any drive for a
inspiron 3800, 4000, 4100, 8100 (among others) or a latitude 600, 610, 640,
cpx, cs, ls, or l400. if you are looking for a usb type drive then i would
suggest getting the above cable as the usb connected drive will be very slow
with the usb type 1 port in this system. the ls did offer a goofy case for
the external cd drive to fit in to, but it is purely cosmetic, totally
unnecessary, and, in my opinion, less attractive then the bare drive itself.

"St Paul" <sp@stpaul.co.uk> wrote in message
> Looking for a cheap external CD drive for a LS H400ST - UK
> Post here if you have one.
> Thnx
> Paul

Thanks for the info.
I am looking for a bootable (ie. non USB) drive.
Excuse my ignorance, but the cable you mention is for external drives or
does it emulate the internal connection?
Paul

Christopher Muto wrote:
> do you have the cable that connects between your system and the external cd
> or floppy drive? if so then you can connect just about any drive for a
> inspiron 3800, 4000, 4100, 8100 (among others) or a latitude 600, 610, 640,
> cpx, cs, ls, or l400. if you are looking for a usb type drive then i would
> suggest getting the above cable as the usb connected drive will be very slow
> with the usb type 1 port in this system. the ls did offer a goofy case for
> the external cd drive to fit in to, but it is purely cosmetic, totally
> unnecessary, and, in my opinion, less attractive then the bare drive itself.
>
> "St Paul" <sp@stpaul.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Looking for a cheap external CD drive for a LS H400ST - UK
>>Post here if you have one.
>>Thnx
>>Paul

the latitude ls has an external connector that allows you to externally
connect either a floppy drive, cd, cdrw, dvd, or combo cdrw/dvd drive to the
system which operates at the speed of an internal drive. this connector is
in addition to the usb connector which would provide a slower transfer rate
for such devices. check out the manual for your latitude ls at
support.dell.com. the cable is the way to go.

Christopher Muto wrote:
> the latitude ls has an external connector that allows you to externally
> connect either a floppy drive, cd, cdrw, dvd, or combo cdrw/dvd drive to the
> system which operates at the speed of an internal drive. this connector is
> in addition to the usb connector which would provide a slower transfer rate
> for such devices. check out the manual for your latitude ls at
> support.dell.com. the cable is the way to go.

Thanks, you helped a lot.
As for the manual at the link you gave me, I spent an hour there and
can´t find any mention of manuals!
Paul

> "St Paul" <sp@stpaul.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks for the info.
>>I am looking for a bootable (ie. non USB) drive.
>>Excuse my ignorance, but the cable you mention is for external drives or
>>does it emulate the internal connection?
>>Paul
>>

>>Christopher Muto wrote:
>>
>>>do you have the cable that connects between your system and the external
>>>cd or floppy drive? if so then you can connect just about any drive for
>>>a inspiron 3800, 4000, 4100, 8100 (among others) or a latitude 600, 610,
>>>640, cpx, cs, ls, or l400. if you are looking for a usb type drive then
>>>i would suggest getting the above cable as the usb connected drive will
>>>be very slow with the usb type 1 port in this system. the ls did offer a
>>>goofy case for the external cd drive to fit in to, but it is purely
>>>cosmetic, totally unnecessary, and, in my opinion, less attractive then
>>>the bare drive itself.
>>>
>>>"St Paul" <sp@stpaul.co.uk> wrote in message

Not that hard to find;
http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentation.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~cat=12

> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> the latitude ls has an external connector that allows you to
>> externally connect either a floppy drive, cd, cdrw, dvd, or combo
>> cdrw/dvd drive to the system which operates at the speed of an
>> internal drive. this connector is in addition to the usb connector
>> which would provide a slower transfer rate for such devices. check
>> out the manual for your latitude ls at support.dell.com. the cable
>> is the way to go.
>
> Thanks, you helped a lot.
> As for the manual at the link you gave me, I spent an hour there and
> can4t find any mention of manuals!
> Paul
>

>> "St Paul" <sp@stpaul.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>Thanks for the info.
>>>I am looking for a bootable (ie. non USB) drive.
>>>Excuse my ignorance, but the cable you mention is for external drives
>>>or does it emulate the internal connection?
>>>Paul

create a login and you should then find the navigation easy.