Pub Quiz [2005/04/26]

Last response: in Video Games
April 27, 2005 6:20:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Like the hero of a bad action movie who comes out of retirement for one last
mission, I got roped in to writing a one off quiz for last night. Many of the
questions are recycled from my old quizzes.

I'll mark any replies posted here without giving away any answers till Monday
of next week.

Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf
Sorry about the cruddy fonts.

WARNING : This quiz contains the closest I've ever got to a "Trick Question".

Welsh pub rules apply, which means I get to roll the words
"Merioneth and Llantisilly" around my mouth as often as I like.

1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?
2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
4. How many tentacles does a squid have?
5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?
6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?
7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.
8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
all examples?
9. What has been the most used Papal name.
Bonus : How many of these have there been?
10. What are the forenames names of Charles Kennedy's new child?
11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?
13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?
15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
16. What, according to the most recent census, are the most popular names for
male & female babies in Britain?
17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
20. Which European city has the dubious privilege of being twinned with
Stoke-On-Trent?
21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?
22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
Cliffs of Dover?
24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?
25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?
26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?
27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?
28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?
29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
associated?
30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEWS?

TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?

--
Gareth Owen
Space people read our mail.

More about : pub quiz 2005

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:20:06 PM

In rec.games.trivia Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

: 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?
Waterloo

: 2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
Carousel

: 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
1360

: 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?
10

: 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?
Manchester

: 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.
Paraguay and Bolivia

: 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
: all examples?
Flies (for fishing)?

: 9. What has been the most used Papal name.
John

: Bonus : How many of these have there been?
23 (unless anti-popes in the mix change the count somehow)

: 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
The Resurrection

: 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?
Norwegian Krone

: 15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
Cigar-maker

: 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
On the face (between the nose and mouth)

: 18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
In a novella by Thomas Mann (set in Venice)

: 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
Breakfast at Tiffany's

: 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?
Warsaw (assuming that you mean Berlin, Germany; London, England;
and Warsaw, Poland)

: 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
: Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
Won the tennis Grand Slam

: 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?
Peter Phillips

: 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?
The Chief Whip, I think

: 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
: associated?
Saxaphone (Tenor, mostly, IIRC)

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:20:06 PM

"Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.

Bolivia and Paraguay

> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.

John

> Bonus : How many of these have there been?

XXIII

> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?

Gallimaufrey

> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?

between the nose and the upper lip

> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?

Breakfast at Tiffany's

> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

London

> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named
Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?

tennis grand slam

> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?

Rod Laver

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?

alto saxophone
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:20:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <r5izmvktkze.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk
says...
> Like the hero of a bad action movie who comes out of retirement for one last
> mission, I got roped in to writing a one off quiz for last night. Many of the
> questions are recycled from my old quizzes.
>
> I'll mark any replies posted here without giving away any answers till Monday
> of next week.
>
> Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf
> Sorry about the cruddy fonts.
>
> WARNING : This quiz contains the closest I've ever got to a "Trick Question".
>
> Welsh pub rules apply, which means I get to roll the words
> "Merioneth and Llantisilly" around my mouth as often as I like.
>
> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?
> 2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
> 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
1223

8

> 5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?
> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?
> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.
Bolivia, Ecuador?

> 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
> all examples?
> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.
> Bonus : How many of these have there been?
John (23 by itself and 2 as John Paul)

> 10. What are the forenames names of Charles Kennedy's new child?
> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
> 12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
> Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?
> 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?
Krona

> 15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
> 16. What, according to the most recent census, are the most popular names for
> male & female babies in Britain?
> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
nose

> 18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
> 20. Which European city has the dubious privilege of being twinned with
> Stoke-On-Trent?
> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?
Berlin

> 22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?
> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?
Winning tennis's grand slam; Arthur Ashe?

> 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?
> 26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?
> 27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?
> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?
> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?
Saxophone (predominantly alto)

> 30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEWS?
>
> TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
Anonymous

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Like the hero of a bad action movie who comes out of retirement for one last
> mission, I got roped in to writing a one off quiz for last night. Many of the
> questions are recycled from my old quizzes.
>
> I'll mark any replies posted here without giving away any answers till Monday
> of next week.
>
> Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf
> Sorry about the cruddy fonts.

1. California
2. Nevada
3. San Francisco Bay

Zimbabwe - Northern Rhodesia
Namibia - South West Africa (Azania - South Africa)
Ethiopia - Abyssinia
Burkina Faso - Upper Volta
Zambia - Southern Rhodesia
Botswana - Bechuanaland
Malawi - Nyasaland
Mali - French Sudan

> WARNING : This quiz contains the closest I've ever got to a "Trick Question".
>
> Welsh pub rules apply, which means I get to roll the words
> "Merioneth and Llantisilly" around my mouth as often as I like.
>
> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?
> 2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
> 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
> 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?

Six

> 5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?
> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?
> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.

Bolivia, Paraguay

> 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
> all examples?
> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.

John

> Bonus : How many of these have there been?

23?

> 10. What are the forenames names of Charles Kennedy's new child?
> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
> 12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
> Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?
> 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?

Feeding the multitudes?

> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?

Krone

> 15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?

Flower girl

> 16. What, according to the most recent census, are the most popular names for
> male & female babies in Britain?
> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?

Nose?

> 18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
> 20. Which European city has the dubious privilege of being twinned with
> Stoke-On-Trent?
> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

London

> 22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?
> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?
> 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?
> 26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?

The kids on Scooby-Doo?

> 27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?
> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?

Foreign Minister?

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?

Saxophone

> 30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEWS?

Steve Irwin

> TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?

Feet?

--Jeff

--
As the Government of the United
States of America is not, in any

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On 27 Apr 2005 14:20:05 +0100, Gareth Owen
<usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
Carousel

>3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
1230

>4. How many tentacles does a squid have?
10

>8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
> all examples?
they sound like fishing flies

>9. What has been the most used Papal name.
> Bonus : How many of these have there been?
John (23, or 25 if you count the twice that it was used as part of a
double name)

>11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
Gallfrey?

>13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
multiplication of the loaves and fishes?

>15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
make cigars

>17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
on the face, specifically, on the upper lip

>22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
Table Mountain

>23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?
Alba

>26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?
Scooby Doo and his pals

>29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?
Sax

Pictures:
1. California
2. Nevada
3. The Imperial Valley?

Bechuanaland = Botswana?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:59:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

(unless anti-popes in the mix change the count somehow)
Anti-Popes don't count.

> : 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
> The Resurrection

Ooops. Should've said "excluding the resurrection".
You're free to have a second attempt.

I think I made that 18 marks.
--
Gareth Owen
Money won't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemies

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Like the hero of a bad action movie who comes out of retirement for
> one last mission

No comment!

> Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street

Whose surely?

--
Kev
Anonymous

"Kevin Stone" <newsaccount@HotPOP.com> writes:

> > Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street
>
> Whose surely?

Do you not have revision to do?
--
Gareth Owen
Money won't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemies
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:07:09 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/worldservice/quiznet/quiz...;quiz=1526_quiznet

--
Kev
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Kevin Stone" <newsaccount@HotPOP.com> writes:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/worldservice/quiznet/quiz...;quiz=1526_quiznet

There ain't nothing wrong with me grammar.
--
Gareth Owen
Money won't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemies
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:26:10 PM

Gareth Owen wrote:
> "Kevin Stone" <newsaccount@HotPOP.com> writes:
>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/worldservice/quiznet/quiz...;quiz=1526_quiznet
>
> There ain't nothing wrong with me grammar.

I'll learn you to talk more better. I'll borrow you a book what'll help.

--
Kev
Anonymous

Gareth Owen writes:
> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Waterloo.

> 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?

1400.

> 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?

10.

> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?

Manchester.

> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.

Paraguay and Bolivia.

> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.
> Bonus : How many of these have there been?

John - 23, not counting two John Pauls.

> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?

Gallifrey.

> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?

The crown (if you ask a Norwegian in English) or krone (if you ask a
native English-speaker).

> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?

Between the nose and upper lip.

> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?

Breakfast at Tiffany's.

> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

Warsaw?

> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?

Albion.

> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?

Most be one of the Grand Slams... I'll say the tennis one.

> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?

Jesus of Nazareth. :-)

> 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?

William.

> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?

No, it's the Tardis. :-) Home Secretary?

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?

Saxophone?

> 30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEWS?

Steve Irwin.

> TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?

100.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The walls have hearsay."
msb@vex.net -- Fonseca & Carolino

April 27, 2005 7:51:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

9 marks scored

--
Gareth Owen
The Republican Party - it's easier than thinking

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

I make that 15 marks
--
Gareth Owen
"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph

"Jeffrey Turner" <jturner@localnet.com> wrote in message
> Gareth Owen wrote:

Trying a couple that I haven't seen answers, or what I think to be the
correct answers! yet

> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Waterloo International

> 12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?

Ivor

> 27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?

John Terry

> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?

The Chief Whip

--
Richard
Anonymous

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

>> TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?
>
> Feet?

3 feet in a yard (1760 yards in a mile).
13 inches in a baker's foot (12 otherwise).
2.54 centimetres in an inch.

--
Kev
Anonymous

Gareth Owen writes:
> Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf

1. California
2. Nevada
3. San Rafael Bay?

5 looks like that follow who was a suspected in the US of being a
terrorist and decided to return to the UK while he still could, but
I forget his name.

8 looks vaguely familiar...

Botswana - Bechuanaland
Namibia - South West Africa
Malawi - Nyasaland
Mali - French Sudan
Ethiopia - Abyssinia
Zimbabwe - Southern Rhodesia
Burkina Faso - Upper Volta
Zambia - Northern Rhodesia
--
Mark Brader "The world little knows or cares the storm through
Toronto which you have had to pass. It asks only if you

April 27, 2005 11:18:08 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:58:51 +0000, Richard Schultz wrote:
> : 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?
> 10

I was taught that squid have eight tentacles, and two arms. The arms
are the ones with the wide flap at the end, like "hands". But I
went to look it up, and this guy:
http://research.unc.edu/endeavors/spr98/squid.html
says that they have TWO tentacles, and eight arms, and also says
that octopuses have eight arms, which I had been taught were
tentacles.

Clearly, this calls for more research. :-)

Incidentally, the first five google hits on "squid tentacles" (NQ)
were about how tasty they are. :-)

hmmm....

This guy has them labeled, and calls the two long ones tentacles,
and the eight short ones arms:
http://wwwbio200.nsm.buffalo.edu/labs/tutor/Squid/Squid...
This one, too:
http://www.tonmo.com/science/public/giantsquidfacts.php

I guess I learned something today - time for a beverage. :-)

Cheers!
Rich
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:39:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Like the hero of a bad action movie who comes out of retirement for one
> last
> mission, I got roped in to writing a one off quiz for last night. Many of
> the
> questions are recycled from my old quizzes.
>
> I'll mark any replies posted here without giving away any answers till
> Monday
> of next week.
>
> Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf
> Sorry about the cruddy fonts.
>
> WARNING : This quiz contains the closest I've ever got to a "Trick
> Question".
>
> Welsh pub rules apply, which means I get to roll the words
> "Merioneth and Llantisilly" around my mouth as often as I like.
>
> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?
Waterloo
> 2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
> 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
1250
6
> 5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?
Brisbane
> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?
Manchester
> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.
Bolivia & Paraguay
> 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
> all examples?
Butterflies
> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.
> Bonus : How many of these have there been?
John - 23
> 10. What are the forenames names of Charles Kennedy's new child?
Donald James
> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
> 12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
> Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?
Ivor
> 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
Feeding of the five thousand
> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?
Krona
> 15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
> 16. What, according to the most recent census, are the most popular names
> for
> male & female babies in Britain?
Jack & Chloe
> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
Upper lip
> 18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
> 20. Which European city has the dubious privilege of being twinned with
> Stoke-On-Trent?
> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?
Warsaw
> 22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
Sugar Loaf
> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?
> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named
> Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?
Tennis Grand Slam - Rod Laver
> 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?
Peter Phillips
> 26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?
> 27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?
John Terry
> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?
Chief Whip
> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?
Saxophone
> 30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEW?
>
> TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?
327

Pictures
1 California
2 Nevada
3 San Francisco
5 Ronnie O'Sullivan
8 Andrew Marr
9 Eric Morecambe
10 Stanley Matthews and Tom Finney
11 Margaret Thatcher

Botswana - Northern Rhodesia
Burkina Faso - Upper Volta
Ethiopia - Abyssinia
Malawi - Nyasaland
Mali - French Sudan
Namibia - South West Africa
Zambia - Bechuanaland
Zimbabwe - Southern Rhodesia

Peter Smyth
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:03:11 AM

Gareth Owen (usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk) writes:
> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Waterloo. Or was it Victoria? No, I go for Waterloo.

> 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?

Eight.

> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?

Peterloo?

> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.

They were Bolivia and Paraguay last time I looked, but there could
suddenly be three of them.

> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.

John

> Bonus : How many of these have there been?

23

> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?

Crown.

> 15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?

Prostitute.

> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

Berlin?

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?

Tenor saxophone

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous

Gareth Owen wrote:

> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Victoria

> 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably
> alive?

1345

> 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?

10

> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South
> America.

Paraguay and Bolivia

> 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and
> "Greenwell's Glory" all examples?

Flowers?

> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.

John

> Bonus : How many of these have there been?

22 (at least that's the official answer. They skipped one of the
numbers because it was used by an anti-pope.)

> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?

Galifree (sp?)

> 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?

Resurection

> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?

Krona

> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?

face, between the mouth and nose

> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

Berlin

> 22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?

Table Mountain

> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance
> of the White Cliffs of Dover?

Albion

> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an
> American named Don Budge in 1938, and has been achieved
> only six times since? BONUS : Who's the only person to
> have done in twice?

Tennis Grand Slam

> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?

Whatever office Gordon Brown is in. For some reason I can never
remember what it is.

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John
> Coltrane associated?

guitar?

--
Dan Tilque
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Waterloo. I have Abba in my head now.

> 2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?

Carousel?

> 5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?

Melbourne.

> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?

Manchester.

> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.

Paraguay. Bolivia?

> 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
> all examples?

Fishing flies?

> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.

John

> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?

Gallifrey.

> 12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
> Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?

Ivor T. Engine.

ObTrivia: What was the name of the dragon in the firebox?

> 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?

Feeding the five thousand?

> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?

Kron[e|a|er]. Never know which is which.

> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?

Nose/lip

> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?

Breakfast at Tiffany's.

> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

I pinched this one off you, and I can't remember the answer. Berlin?

> 22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?

Table?

> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?

Alba

> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?

Tennis grand slam. Rod Laver?

> 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?

Peter Phillips

> 26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?

Raggy! Rooby!

> 27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?

John Terry

> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?

Government chief whip.

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?

Sax.

> 30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEWS?

Steve Irwin, cobber.

"She rubs the Sunlight soap around by Claddagh
Just to watch the suds flow down by Galway Bay"
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:44:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf

1) California
2) Nevada
3) San Fransisco Bay? Golden Bay?
4) Caaaaptaaaaain Caaaaavemaaaaan
6) Brian O'Driscoll
7) Bod!
8) Andrew Marr
9) Eric Morecambe
10) Bobby Charlton?
12) Saint Gareth of Pontardawe.

Botswana = Bechuanaland
Malawi = Nyasaland
Mali = French Sudan
Ethiopia = Abyssynia
Zimbabwe = Northern Rhodesia
Burkino Faso = Upper Volta
Namibia = Southern Rhodesia

"Fill with mingled cream and amber, I will drain that glass again."
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:04:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Gareth Owen:
> > 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Mark Brader:
> Waterloo.

Oops -- I forgot about the Eurostar sets operated domestically by the
so-called GNER under the name "White Rose". So it's Waterloo *and*
King's Cross. (Or Kings Cross, depending on which source you believe.)
See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_373&gt;.

But I bet Gareth only wanted Waterloo anyway.
--
Mark Brader "Great things are not done by those
Toronto who sit down and count the cost

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Marc Dashevsky <Usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> writes:

7 points scored
--
Gareth Owen
circular reasoning: see reasoning, circular

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Barbara Bailey <rabrabbjb@yahoo.com> writes:

11 on the quiz
2 on the pictures
1 on the Mix and Match

--
Gareth Owen
circular reasoning: see reasoning, circular
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:26:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

2 for the pictures.
A not entirely surprising 8/8 on the African countries

--
Gareth Owen
circular reasoning: see reasoning, circular
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:26:55 PM

Gareth Owen writes:
> A not entirely surprising 8/8 on the African countries

Thanks!

I can just see the next one: new boundaries of British counties.
--
Mark Brader | "I always pass on good advice. It's the only thing
Toronto | to do with it. It is never any use to oneself."

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

A generous 9 for the pictures
6 for Africa

--
Gareth Owen
circular reasoning: see reasoning, circular
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:30:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

23 on the quiz

--
Gareth Owen
circular reasoning: see reasoning, circular
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:33:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message

> Gareth Owen wrote:

> > 9. What has been the most used Papal name.
>
> John
>
> > Bonus : How many of these have there been?
>
> 22 (at least that's the official answer. They skipped one of the
> numbers because it was used by an anti-pope.)

Officially the Popes have been John I - John XV and John XVII to John
XXIII.

John XVI was declared an antipope, as was the first John XXIII (in the
15th century)

So that's 22 or 24, depending on how you count it.

April 28, 2005 2:37:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> writes:

3 on the pictures
6 on Africa
9 on the quiz
--
Gareth Owen
circular reasoning: see reasoning, circular
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:37:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

All your answers were correct, but since you stated you're only filling in
gaps, I won't mark it as a full slate
--
Gareth Owen
circular reasoning: see reasoning, circular
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:39:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> writes:

13 marks, and the first person to correctly answer the trick question.
--
Gareth Owen
circular reasoning: see reasoning, circular
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:42:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Peter Smyth" <psmyth@freenetname.co.uk> writes:

20 on the main quiz
7 on the pictures (including two half-marks)
6 on Africa

--
Gareth Owen
circular reasoning: see reasoning, circular
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:47:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> :

scores 7 marks
--
Gareth Owen
Musical Hairsplitting (n): The act of classifying music and musicians into

"Andrewr At Work" <andrewr@rockface.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message
>
> > Gareth Owen wrote:
>
> > > 9. What has been the most used Papal name.
> >
> > John
> >
> > > Bonus : How many of these have there been?
> >
> > 22 (at least that's the official answer. They skipped one of the
> > numbers because it was used by an anti-pope.)
>
> Officially the Popes have been John I - John XV and John XVII to John
> XXIII.

Originally, thats exactly what happened. But later Popes John XVII-XX were
renumbered to Popes John XVI-XIX, but Pope John XXI remained.
So, presently the missing Pope John is John XX.

> So that's 22 or 24, depending on how you count it.

Well, anti-popes don't count, so that's 22.
--
Gareth Owen
There ain't no sanity clause

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On 27 Apr 2005 14:20:05 +0100, Gareth Owen
<usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?
Waterloo
>2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
Carousel
>3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
1400
>4. How many tentacles does a squid have?
ten
>5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?
Melbourne
>6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?
Manchester
>7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.
Bolivia, Paraguay
>8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
> all examples?
Could be anything at all. Although "Nymph" suggests it might be
Fishing Flies or something like that.
>9. What has been the most used Papal name.
John
> Bonus : How many of these have there been?
Not 23 presumably. I'll have a stab and guess 20.
>10. What are the forenames names of Charles Kennedy's new child?
Donald something
>11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
Gallifrey (if you were referring to the home planet of the Doctor, or
Doctor Who - but never Dr Who ;-)
>12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
> Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?
Ivor the Engine
>13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
Feeding of the five thousand?
>14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?
Krone
>15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
Works in a cigarette factory
>16. What, according to the most recent census, are the most popular names for
> male & female babies in Britain?
I'm sure the male name was Jack. Sarah for the girls?
>17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
Middle of the upper lip
>18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
Venice?
>19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
Breakfast at Tiffany's
>20. Which European city has the dubious privilege of being twinned with
> Stoke-On-Trent?
<g> I have no idea - looking forward to finding out
>21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?
Warsaw (I think, but it must be pretty close)
>22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
Table mountain? (It's that, or Sugar Loaf, and one of them is next to
Rio but I can never remember which one is which.)
>23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?
Albion
>24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
Tennis Grand Slam
> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?
um, how about Steffi Graf :-)
>25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?
Peter Phillips?
>26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?
Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby Doo (and presumably some other
relatives of Scooby at various times, and I can't believe I just wrote
all that.)
>27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?
no idea
>28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?
Chief Whip
>29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?
Saxophone
>30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEWS?
Steve Irwim

>TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?
500?

Picture round:

1 California
2 Nevada?
3 no idea: San Francisco?
4 Captain Caveman
5 no idea
6 some random rugby player ;-)
7 Bod
8 Andrew Marr
9 Eric Bartholemew
10 Charlton bros?
11 Margaret Thatcher
12 William Webb-Ellis?

my best guess for the African countries:
(based on some I knew, some that seemed plausible and two matching
initial letters!)

Botswana: Bechuanland
Namibia: Nyasaland
Malawi: South West Africa
Mali: French Sudan
Ethopia: Abyssinia
Zimbabwe: Southern Rhodesia
Burkina Faso: Upper Volta
Zambia: Northern Rhodesia

--
David Brain
London, UK

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

David Brain <news@davidbrain.co.uk> writes:

Yikes. The aptly named David Brain scores 28 on the quiz,
A generous 8 on the pictures
And 6 on Africa

--
Gareth Owen
"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog.

Gareth Owen wrote:
> Like the hero of a bad action movie who comes out of retirement for
one last
> mission, I got roped in to writing a one off quiz for last night.
Many of the
> questions are recycled from my old quizzes.
>
> I'll mark any replies posted here without giving away any answers
till Monday
> of next week.
>
> Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf
> Sorry about the cruddy fonts.
>
> WARNING : This quiz contains the closest I've ever got to a "Trick
Question".

> Welsh pub rules apply, which means I get to roll the words
> "Merioneth and Llantisilly" around my mouth as often as I like.
>
> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Waterloo International

> 2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
> 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?

1384

> 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?

10

> 5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?

Melbourne

> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in
1819?
> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.

Bolivia Paraguay

> 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's
Glory"
> all examples?
> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.
> Bonus : How many of these have there been?
> 10. What are the forenames names of Charles Kennedy's new child?
> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
> 12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the
Merioneth and
> Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?
> 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?

Krone

> 15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
> 16. What, according to the most recent census, are the most popular
names for
> male & female babies in Britain?
> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
> 18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
> 20. Which European city has the dubious privilege of being twinned
with
> Stoke-On-Trent?

Erlangen

> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

Berlin

> 22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?

Table Mountain

> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the
White
> Cliffs of Dover?

(allegedly) Albion

> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American
named Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?
> 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?

Prince William

> 26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?
> 27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?

John Terry

> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?

Greenpeace

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?
> 30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEWS?

interviews

Irvine West?

Can do anagrams but not TV people!

> TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?

245

Edmund
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:34:26 AM

"Mark Brader" <msb@vex.net> wrote in message
> Gareth Owen writes:
> > Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf
>
> 1. California
> 2. Nevada
> 3. San Rafael Bay?
>
> 5 looks like that follow who was a suspected in the US of being a
> terrorist and decided to return to the UK while he still could, but
> I forget his name.

Thats taking "Rocket" Ronnie a bit literally!!!!!

> 8 looks vaguely familiar...
>
> Botswana - Bechuanaland
> Namibia - South West Africa
> Malawi - Nyasaland
> Mali - French Sudan
> Ethiopia - Abyssinia
> Zimbabwe - Southern Rhodesia
> Burkina Faso - Upper Volta
> Zambia - Northern Rhodesia
> --
> Mark Brader "The world little knows or cares the storm through
> Toronto which you have had to pass. It asks only if you
> msb@vex.net brought the ship safely to port." -- Joseph Conrad
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 2:46:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Mark Brader:
> > 5 looks like that follow who was a suspected in the US of being a
> > terrorist and decided to return to the UK while he still could, but
> > I forget his name.

Simon Chambers:
> Thats taking "Rocket" Ronnie a bit literally!!!!!

Yes, well, I said "looks like". The suspect I'm thinking of is Chris
Hajaig, a.k.a. Zayead Hajaig according to some reports, seen here:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Com...

Clearly not the same fellow, but not totally dissimilar either.
--
Mark Brader "...out of the dark coffee-stained mugs of
Toronto insane programmers throughout the world..."

Mark Brader wrote:
> Gareth Owen writes

> > > 1819?
> >
> > *ahem*
> >
> > Scores 12 points despite not reading one or more of the questions
properly.

> *Ahem!*
>
> Scorer fooled by line-wrap in Edmund's posting. He didn't try that
one.
> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "For want of a bit the loop was
lost..."
> msb@vex.net -- Steve
Summit

Thanks Mark.
I *did* answer the Stoke one; as Gareth said, "Erlangen" is everywhere
on road signs there. Enter a new suburb of Stoke and the signs say

City of Stoke on Trent

Twinned with

ERLANGEN

(name of suburb you're entering)

You can't drive through the city (which has no bypass, so you have to
unless scooting past on the M6) without seeing at least half a dozen of
these signs.

Edmund
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:15:39 PM

"Simon Chambers" <simon@myfirstname-mysurname.co.uk> writes:

> Turning water into wine?

It's not.

> I still think that this must be the "trick", so it probably isn't.

It's not. :)
--
Gareth Owen
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids,

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Yes, well, I said "looks like". The suspect I'm thinking of is Chris
> Hajaig, a.k.a. Zayead Hajaig according to some reports, seen here:
>
> http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Com...

I'd imagine Chris Hajaig talks more sense than Ronnie O'Sullivan.
--
Gareth Owen
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening
to repetitive music."
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:18:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Edmund Lewis" <ejpl22@hotmail.com> writes:

> > 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in
> 1819?

*ahem*

Scores 12 points despite not reading one or more of the questions properly.
--
Gareth Owen
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening
to repetitive music."
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 6:31:17 PM

> "Simon Chambers" <simon@myfirstname-mysurname.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Turning water into wine?
>
> It's not.
>
> > I still think that this must be the "trick", so it probably isn't.
>
> It's not. :)

Having now read through the other answers I can see that now.

> --
> Gareth Owen
> "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids,
> we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and
listening
> to repetitive music."
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 6:38:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On 28 Apr 2005 15:59:39 +0100, Gareth Owen
<usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>David Brain <news@davidbrain.co.uk> writes:
>
>Yikes. The aptly named David Brain scores 28 on the quiz,
>A generous 8 on the pictures
>And 6 on Africa

I'm not proud. :-) More than a few of those were outright guesses,
and a couple were based on clues within the question (I'd never have
got the Tennis one were it not for the bonus question - sport is
definitely my weak point.)

I have since looked up some answers; I was surprised to find out that
I was even vaguely close with the Blackpool Tower question. I'd never
have got the Stoke-on-Trent question in a million years (who would?!
Apart from Pub Quiz Trivia fanatics, obviously :-)

--
David Brain
London, UK

!