Pub Quiz [2005/04/26]

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Like the hero of a bad action movie who comes out of retirement for one last
mission, I got roped in to writing a one off quiz for last night. Many of the
questions are recycled from my old quizzes.

I'll mark any replies posted here without giving away any answers till Monday
of next week.

Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf
Sorry about the cruddy fonts.

WARNING : This quiz contains the closest I've ever got to a "Trick Question".

Welsh pub rules apply, which means I get to roll the words
"Merioneth and Llantisilly" around my mouth as often as I like.

1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?
2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
4. How many tentacles does a squid have?
5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?
6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?
7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.
8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
all examples?
9. What has been the most used Papal name.
Bonus : How many of these have there been?
10. What are the forenames names of Charles Kennedy's new child?
11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?
13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?
15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
16. What, according to the most recent census, are the most popular names for
male & female babies in Britain?
17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
20. Which European city has the dubious privilege of being twinned with
Stoke-On-Trent?
21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?
22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
Cliffs of Dover?
24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?
25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?
26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?
27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?
28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?
29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
associated?
30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEWS?

TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?

--
Gareth Owen
Space people read our mail.

In rec.games.trivia Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

: 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?
Waterloo

: 2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
Carousel

: 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
1360

: 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?
10

: 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?
Manchester

: 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.
Paraguay and Bolivia

: 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
: all examples?
Flies (for fishing)?

: 9. What has been the most used Papal name.
John

: Bonus : How many of these have there been?
23 (unless anti-popes in the mix change the count somehow)

: 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
The Resurrection

: 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?
Norwegian Krone

: 15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
Cigar-maker

: 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
On the face (between the nose and mouth)

: 18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
In a novella by Thomas Mann (set in Venice)

: 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
Breakfast at Tiffany's

: 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?
Warsaw (assuming that you mean Berlin, Germany; London, England;
and Warsaw, Poland)

: 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
: Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
Won the tennis Grand Slam

: 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?
Peter Phillips

: 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?
The Chief Whip, I think

: 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
: associated?
Saxaphone (Tenor, mostly, IIRC)

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"

"Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.

Bolivia and Paraguay

> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.

John

> Bonus : How many of these have there been?

XXIII

> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?

Gallimaufrey

> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?

between the nose and the upper lip

> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?

Breakfast at Tiffany's

> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

London

> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named
Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?

tennis grand slam

> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?

Rod Laver

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?

alto saxophone

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <r5izmvktkze.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk
says...
> Like the hero of a bad action movie who comes out of retirement for one last
> mission, I got roped in to writing a one off quiz for last night. Many of the
> questions are recycled from my old quizzes.
>
> I'll mark any replies posted here without giving away any answers till Monday
> of next week.
>
> Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf
> Sorry about the cruddy fonts.
>
> WARNING : This quiz contains the closest I've ever got to a "Trick Question".
>
> Welsh pub rules apply, which means I get to roll the words
> "Merioneth and Llantisilly" around my mouth as often as I like.
>
> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?
> 2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
> 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
1223

8

> 5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?
> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?
> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.
Bolivia, Ecuador?

> 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
> all examples?
> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.
> Bonus : How many of these have there been?
John (23 by itself and 2 as John Paul)

> 10. What are the forenames names of Charles Kennedy's new child?
> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
> 12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
> Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?
> 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?
Krona

> 15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
> 16. What, according to the most recent census, are the most popular names for
> male & female babies in Britain?
> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
nose

> 18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
> 20. Which European city has the dubious privilege of being twinned with
> Stoke-On-Trent?
> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?
Berlin

> 22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?
> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?
Winning tennis's grand slam; Arthur Ashe?

> 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?
> 26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?
> 27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?
> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?
> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?
Saxophone (predominantly alto)

Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Like the hero of a bad action movie who comes out of retirement for one last
> mission, I got roped in to writing a one off quiz for last night. Many of the
> questions are recycled from my old quizzes.
>
> I'll mark any replies posted here without giving away any answers till Monday
> of next week.
>
> Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf
> Sorry about the cruddy fonts.

1. California
2. Nevada
3. San Francisco Bay

Zimbabwe - Northern Rhodesia
Namibia - South West Africa (Azania - South Africa)
Ethiopia - Abyssinia
Burkina Faso - Upper Volta
Zambia - Southern Rhodesia
Botswana - Bechuanaland
Malawi - Nyasaland
Mali - French Sudan

> WARNING : This quiz contains the closest I've ever got to a "Trick Question".
>
> Welsh pub rules apply, which means I get to roll the words
> "Merioneth and Llantisilly" around my mouth as often as I like.
>
> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?
> 2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
> 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
> 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?

Six

> 5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?
> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?
> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.

Bolivia, Paraguay

> 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
> all examples?
> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.

John

> Bonus : How many of these have there been?

23?

> 10. What are the forenames names of Charles Kennedy's new child?
> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
> 12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
> Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?
> 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?

Feeding the multitudes?

> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?

Krone

> 15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?

Flower girl

> 16. What, according to the most recent census, are the most popular names for
> male & female babies in Britain?
> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?

Nose?

> 18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
> 20. Which European city has the dubious privilege of being twinned with
> Stoke-On-Trent?
> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

London

> 22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?
> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?
> 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?
> 26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?

The kids on Scooby-Doo?

> 27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?
> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?

Foreign Minister?

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?

Saxophone

> 30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEWS?

Steve Irwin

> TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?

Feet?

--Jeff

--
As the Government of the United
States of America is not, in any

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On 27 Apr 2005 14:20:05 +0100, Gareth Owen
<usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
Carousel

>3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
1230

>4. How many tentacles does a squid have?
10

>8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
> all examples?
they sound like fishing flies

>9. What has been the most used Papal name.
> Bonus : How many of these have there been?
John (23, or 25 if you count the twice that it was used as part of a
double name)

>11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
Gallfrey?

>13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
multiplication of the loaves and fishes?

>15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
make cigars

>17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
on the face, specifically, on the upper lip

>22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
Table Mountain

>23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?
Alba

>26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?
Scooby Doo and his pals

>29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?
Sax

Pictures:
1. California
2. Nevada
3. The Imperial Valley?

Bechuanaland = Botswana?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

(unless anti-popes in the mix change the count somehow)
Anti-Popes don't count.

> : 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
> The Resurrection

Ooops. Should've said "excluding the resurrection".
You're free to have a second attempt.

I think I made that 18 marks.
--
Gareth Owen
Money won't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemies

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Like the hero of a bad action movie who comes out of retirement for
> one last mission

No comment!

> Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street

Whose surely?

--
Kev

"Kevin Stone" <newsaccount@HotPOP.com> writes:

> > Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street
>
> Whose surely?

Do you not have revision to do?
--

Gareth Owen writes:
> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Waterloo.

> 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?

1400.

> 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?

10.

> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?

Manchester.

> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.

Paraguay and Bolivia.

> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.
> Bonus : How many of these have there been?

John - 23, not counting two John Pauls.

> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?

Gallifrey.

> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?

The crown (if you ask a Norwegian in English) or krone (if you ask a
native English-speaker).

> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?

Between the nose and upper lip.

> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?

Breakfast at Tiffany's.

> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

Warsaw?

> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?

Albion.

> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?

Most be one of the Grand Slams... I'll say the tennis one.

> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?

Jesus of Nazareth. :)

> 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?

William.

> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?

No, it's the Tardis. :) Home Secretary?

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?

Saxophone?

> 30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEWS?

Steve Irwin.

> TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?

100.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The walls have hearsay."
msb@vex.net -- Fonseca & Carolino

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

9 marks scored

--
Gareth Owen
The Republican Party - it's easier than thinking

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

I make that 15 marks
--
Gareth Owen
"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph

"Jeffrey Turner" <jturner@localnet.com> wrote in message
> Gareth Owen wrote:

Trying a couple that I haven't seen answers, or what I think to be the
correct answers! yet

> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Waterloo International

> 12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?

Ivor

> 27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?

John Terry

> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?

The Chief Whip

--
Richard

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

>> TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?
>
> Feet?

3 feet in a yard (1760 yards in a mile).
13 inches in a baker's foot (12 otherwise).
2.54 centimetres in an inch.

--
Kev

Gareth Owen writes:
> Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf

1. California
2. Nevada
3. San Rafael Bay?

5 looks like that follow who was a suspected in the US of being a
terrorist and decided to return to the UK while he still could, but
I forget his name.

8 looks vaguely familiar...

Botswana - Bechuanaland
Namibia - South West Africa
Malawi - Nyasaland
Mali - French Sudan
Ethiopia - Abyssinia
Zimbabwe - Southern Rhodesia
Burkina Faso - Upper Volta
Zambia - Northern Rhodesia
--
Mark Brader "The world little knows or cares the storm through
Toronto which you have had to pass. It asks only if you

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:58:51 +0000, Richard Schultz wrote:
> : 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?
> 10

I was taught that squid have eight tentacles, and two arms. The arms
are the ones with the wide flap at the end, like "hands". But I
went to look it up, and this guy:
http://research.unc.edu/endeavors/spr98/squid.html
says that they have TWO tentacles, and eight arms, and also says
that octopuses have eight arms, which I had been taught were
tentacles.

Clearly, this calls for more research. :)

Incidentally, the first five google hits on "squid tentacles" (NQ)
were about how tasty they are. :)

hmmm....

This guy has them labeled, and calls the two long ones tentacles,
and the eight short ones arms:
http://wwwbio200.nsm.buffalo.edu/labs/tutor/Squid/Squid03D.html
This one, too:
http://www.tonmo.com/science/public/giantsquidfacts.php

I guess I learned something today - time for a beverage. :)

Cheers!
Rich

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Like the hero of a bad action movie who comes out of retirement for one
> last
> mission, I got roped in to writing a one off quiz for last night. Many of
> the
> questions are recycled from my old quizzes.
>
> I'll mark any replies posted here without giving away any answers till
> Monday
> of next week.
>
> Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf
> Sorry about the cruddy fonts.
>
> WARNING : This quiz contains the closest I've ever got to a "Trick
> Question".
>
> Welsh pub rules apply, which means I get to roll the words
> "Merioneth and Llantisilly" around my mouth as often as I like.
>
> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?
Waterloo
> 2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?
> 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably alive?
1250
6
> 5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?
Brisbane
> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?
Manchester
> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.
Bolivia & Paraguay
> 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
> all examples?
Butterflies
> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.
> Bonus : How many of these have there been?
John - 23
> 10. What are the forenames names of Charles Kennedy's new child?
Donald James
> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?
> 12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
> Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?
Ivor
> 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?
Feeding of the five thousand
> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?
Krona
> 15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?
> 16. What, according to the most recent census, are the most popular names
> for
> male & female babies in Britain?
Jack & Chloe
> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?
Upper lip
> 18. Where, in literature, did Gustav von Aschenbach die?
> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?
> 20. Which European city has the dubious privilege of being twinned with
> Stoke-On-Trent?
> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?
Warsaw
> 22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
Sugar Loaf
> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?
> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named
> Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?
Tennis Grand Slam - Rod Laver
> 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?
Peter Phillips
> 26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?
> 27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?
John Terry
> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?
Chief Whip
> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?
Saxophone
> 30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEW?
>
> TIE BREAK : How high -- in feet -- is the Blackpool tower?
327

Pictures
1 California
2 Nevada
3 San Francisco
5 Ronnie O'Sullivan
8 Andrew Marr
9 Eric Morecambe
10 Stanley Matthews and Tom Finney
11 Margaret Thatcher

Botswana - Northern Rhodesia
Burkina Faso - Upper Volta
Ethiopia - Abyssinia
Malawi - Nyasaland
Mali - French Sudan
Namibia - South West Africa
Zambia - Bechuanaland
Zimbabwe - Southern Rhodesia

Peter Smyth

Gareth Owen (usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk) writes:
> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Waterloo. Or was it Victoria? No, I go for Waterloo.

> 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?

Eight.

> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?

Peterloo?

> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.

They were Bolivia and Paraguay last time I looked, but there could
suddenly be three of them.

> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.

John

> Bonus : How many of these have there been?

23

> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?

Crown.

> 15. What job does Carmen do in Bizet's opera?

Prostitute.

> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

Berlin?

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?

Tenor saxophone

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se

Gareth Owen wrote:

> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Victoria

> 3. Give a year in which Geoffrey Chaucer was probably
> alive?

1345

> 4. How many tentacles does a squid have?

10

> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South
> America.

Paraguay and Bolivia

> 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and
> "Greenwell's Glory" all examples?

Flowers?

> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.

John

> Bonus : How many of these have there been?

22 (at least that's the official answer. They skipped one of the
numbers because it was used by an anti-pope.)

> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?

Galifree (sp?)

> 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?

Resurection

> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?

Krona

> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?

face, between the mouth and nose

> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

Berlin

> 22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?

Table Mountain

> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance
> of the White Cliffs of Dover?

Albion

> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an
> American named Don Budge in 1938, and has been achieved
> only six times since? BONUS : Who's the only person to
> have done in twice?

Tennis Grand Slam

> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?

Whatever office Gordon Brown is in. For some reason I can never
remember what it is.

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John
> Coltrane associated?

guitar?

--
Dan Tilque

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Waterloo. I have Abba in my head now.

> 2. From which musical does the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" come?

Carousel?

> 5. In which Australian city is Neighbours set?

Melbourne.

> 6. In which British city did the Peterloo massacre take place in 1819?

Manchester.

> 7. Name the two landlocked countries in South America.

Paraguay. Bolivia?

> 8. Of what are "Dog nobbler", "Hare's Ear Nymph" and "Greenwell's Glory"
> all examples?

Fishing flies?

> 9. What has been the most used Papal name.

John

> 11. What is the name of Dr Who's home planet?

Gallifrey.

> 12. What is the name of the only locomotive operated of the Merioneth and
> Llantisilly Rail Traction compary?

Ivor T. Engine.

ObTrivia: What was the name of the dragon in the firebox?

> 13. What is the only miracle mentioned in all four gospels?

Feeding the five thousand?

> 14. What is the present unit of currency of Norway?

Kron[e|a|er]. Never know which is which.

> 17. Where in the body is the philtrum?

Nose/lip

> 19. Which 1961 film had the theme song "Moon River"?

Breakfast at Tiffany's.

> 21. Which is the furthest north: Berlin, London or Warsaw?

I pinched this one off you, and I can't remember the answer. Berlin?

> 22. Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?

Table?

> 23. Which Roman word for Britain derived from the appearance of the White
> Cliffs of Dover?

Alba

> 24. Which sporting achievement was first completed by an American named Don
> Budge in 1938, and has been achieved only six times since?
> BONUS : Who's the only person to have done in twice?

Tennis grand slam. Rod Laver?

> 25. Who is the Queens eldest grandchild?

Peter Phillips

> 26. Who travel in a van called "The Mystery Machine"?

Raggy! Rooby!

> 27. Who was announced as PFA Footballer Of The Year on Sunday?

John Terry

> 28. Who's official residence is #12 Downing Street?

Government chief whip.

> 29. With which musical instrument was the jazz musician John Coltrane
> associated?

Sax.

> 30. TV Presenter's name is an anagram of INTERVIEWS?

Steve Irwin, cobber.

"She rubs the Sunlight soap around by Claddagh
Just to watch the suds flow down by Galway Bay"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Picture round at : http://geocities.com/drgazowen/pix.pdf

1) California
2) Nevada
3) San Fransisco Bay? Golden Bay?
4) Caaaaptaaaaain Caaaaavemaaaaan
6) Brian O'Driscoll
7) Bod!
8) Andrew Marr
9) Eric Morecambe
10) Bobby Charlton?
12) Saint Gareth of Pontardawe.

Botswana = Bechuanaland
Malawi = Nyasaland
Mali = French Sudan
Ethiopia = Abyssynia
Zimbabwe = Northern Rhodesia
Burkino Faso = Upper Volta
Namibia = Southern Rhodesia

"Fill with mingled cream and amber, I will drain that glass again."

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Gareth Owen:
> > 1. From which London station do Eurostar trains leave?

Mark Brader:
> Waterloo.

Oops -- I forgot about the Eurostar sets operated domestically by the
so-called GNER under the name "White Rose". So it's Waterloo *and*
King's Cross. (Or Kings Cross, depending on which source you believe.)
See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_373>.

But I bet Gareth only wanted Waterloo anyway.
--
Mark Brader "Great things are not done by those
Toronto who sit down and count the cost