Hi,

I have 2 PCs, one running XP Pro (PC1), one XP Home (PC2). I also have 2
legal XP Pro upgrade CDs, one older SP1 and one SP2. The SP2 copy is
currently installed on PC1, the SP1 copy is no longer installed anywhere (but
it once was installed on PC1).

I would like to upgrade PC2 to XP Pro. I believe I could legally do this
with the SP1 CD but I would prefer to put SP2 on as part of the install
rather than seperately. can I legally do any of the following:

1- Install from the SP2 CD using the SP1 CD key?

2- Slip-stream SP2 from a CD into SP1 from CD, creating new CD and use the
CD key from the SP1 CD?

sorry if this is complicated but I appreciate any advice! Thanks much.

Use the SP1 CD and SP1 Product Key to upgrade with.
But first, you should make a new Windows XP CD with
SP 2 slipstreamed:

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"WW" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I have 2 PCs, one running XP Pro (PC1), one XP Home (PC2). I also have 2
| legal XP Pro upgrade CDs, one older SP1 and one SP2. The SP2 copy is
| currently installed on PC1, the SP1 copy is no longer installed anywhere (but
| it once was installed on PC1).
|
| I would like to upgrade PC2 to XP Pro. I believe I could legally do this
| with the SP1 CD but I would prefer to put SP2 on as part of the install
| rather than seperately. can I legally do any of the following:
|
| 1- Install from the SP2 CD using the SP1 CD key?
|
| 2- Slip-stream SP2 from a CD into SP1 from CD, creating new CD and use the
| CD key from the SP1 CD?
|
| sorry if this is complicated but I appreciate any advice! Thanks much.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Use the SP1 CD and SP1 Product Key to upgrade with.
> But first, you should make a new Windows XP CD with
> SP 2 slipstreamed:
>
> Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
> (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:
>
> Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
>
> or
>
> AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
> http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "WW" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | I have 2 PCs, one running XP Pro (PC1), one XP Home (PC2). I also have 2
> | legal XP Pro upgrade CDs, one older SP1 and one SP2. The SP2 copy is
> | currently installed on PC1, the SP1 copy is no longer installed anywhere (but
> | it once was installed on PC1).
> |
> | I would like to upgrade PC2 to XP Pro. I believe I could legally do this
> | with the SP1 CD but I would prefer to put SP2 on as part of the install
> | rather than seperately. can I legally do any of the following:
> |
> | 1- Install from the SP2 CD using the SP1 CD key?
> |
> | 2- Slip-stream SP2 from a CD into SP1 from CD, creating new CD and use the
> | CD key from the SP1 CD?
> |
> | sorry if this is complicated but I appreciate any advice! Thanks much.

Autostreamer worked like a charm. Thanks again!