Need advice on a desktop replacement laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgriffin

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Hi all,

I'm in the UK and my laptop is close to death and my pc is dead (today). So it is time for an upgrade I'm going to go for a laptop on the basis that I do a lot of my work work on it and have to travel occasionally so if I went for a desktop I would need a new laptop anyway.

My budget is £500-700 GBP.

Programs / Apps I use:

Excel: Heavy, heavy excel use tens of thousands of calculations, manipulations etc.

Battlefield 3: Was playing this on the PC pre-death, would like to continue on the laptop. It's not major major gaming just a few hours every few days, and I'm not averse to cooling pads.
[OS: Windows 7 64-Bit
Processor: Quad-Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB
Hard Drive: 20 GB
Graphics Card: DirectX 11 compatible with 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 or ATI RADEON 6950)
Sound Card: DirectX compatible]

Diablo 3 when it comes out
Watching / Streaming DVD's, Movies.

Screen wise since it's a desktop replacement I would prefer 15/17.

So I'm looking for advice on retailers, laptop models etc. What are my options, what kind of graphics card should I expect and processor should I demand? I'm not up on specs so much these days.

(I'm not a mac guy).

All the best,

Ben.

Hi :)

I own computer shops in the UK....

Not enough money i am afraid...to play BF3 at a reasonable level you need to add another £1000 to your budget for a lappy....

Laptops are nowhere near a desktop for gaming.....the rest of your requirement are no problem.....its BF3 that is :(

All the best Brett :)

Status
Not open for further replies.