Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on a desktop replacement laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
March 18, 2012 7:03:10 PM

Hi all,

I'm in the UK and my laptop is close to death and my pc is dead (today). So it is time for an upgrade I'm going to go for a laptop on the basis that I do a lot of my work work on it and have to travel occasionally so if I went for a desktop I would need a new laptop anyway.

My budget is £500-700 GBP.

Programs / Apps I use:

Excel: Heavy, heavy excel use tens of thousands of calculations, manipulations etc.

Battlefield 3: Was playing this on the PC pre-death, would like to continue on the laptop. It's not major major gaming just a few hours every few days, and I'm not averse to cooling pads.
[OS: Windows 7 64-Bit
Processor: Quad-Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB
Hard Drive: 20 GB
Graphics Card: DirectX 11 compatible with 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 or ATI RADEON 6950)
Sound Card: DirectX compatible]

Diablo 3 when it comes out
Watching / Streaming DVD's, Movies.

Screen wise since it's a desktop replacement I would prefer 15/17.

So I'm looking for advice on retailers, laptop models etc. What are my options, what kind of graphics card should I expect and processor should I demand? I'm not up on specs so much these days.

(I'm not a mac guy).

All the best,

Ben.
a c 249 D Laptop
March 18, 2012 7:55:32 PM

Hi :) 

I own computer shops in the UK....

Not enough money i am afraid...to play BF3 at a reasonable level you need to add another £1000 to your budget for a lappy....

Laptops are nowhere near a desktop for gaming.....the rest of your requirement are no problem.....its BF3 that is :( 

All the best Brett :) 
!