Help, please. T5 won't reboot.

July 21, 2005 3:26:57 AM

I need help. My 8 month T5 won't reset. I get the moving bar, and then
the Palm round symbol, which does not go away. The power switch does
not do anything.Neither do any of the other buttons. Whether I do a
soft or hard reset, it stops at that stage.

All that I see is a line right near the top of the screen, perhaps 1 or
2 pixels high flashing on and off. I have tried everything.

I am leaving for a holiday, and have grown kind of dependent on this
machine, so I plead to the group for any advice on what I can do,
short of sending it back.

Many thanks in advance..

More about : reboot

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:16:41 AM

I appreciate your quick and detailed response. Unfortunately, I tried
both methods, to no avail. (Have tried them several times, and waited
well beyond the times suggested).

The farthest I got was a screen asking to calibrate the screen, but the
screen was unresponsive. The flashing line right near the top of the
screen starts about 15 secs after any reset attempt, and after that,
the machine is frozen. As I said, the line is the full width of the
screen and 1 or 2 pixels high. Any ideas?

many thanks for you consideration.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:00:33 AM

"izendel@gmail.com" <izendel@gmail.com> wrote:

>I need help. My 8 month T5 won't reset. I get the moving bar, and then
>the Palm round symbol, which does not go away. The power switch does
>not do anything.Neither do any of the other buttons. Whether I do a
>soft or hard reset, it stops at that stage.

Try a warm reset. If a hard reset won't do I doubt this will help, but it can't
hurt to try. If that doesn't work then it's probably the big kahuna, the zero
out reset. Both are copied below from the Palm site. Good Luck.

System (Warm) Reset

All devices
A system reset tells your device to stop what it's doing and
start over again, bypassing any system extensions. This can
help you with "boot loop" errors, allowing you to remove any
recently installed third-party applications that might be
causing the problem.
Press and hold the UP button on the front panel of your
device.
While holding the UP button, use an unfolded paper clip, or
the reset tool at the tip of your stylus, to gently press
the RESET button inside the hole on the back of your device
(where's the reset hole?).
The Palm Computing Platform screen will appear. Release the
UP button when you see it. Depending on your device, this
logo looks like:

On some devices, you may see a palmOne logo and a progress
bar first. Do not release the UP button until the second,
circular Palm Powered logo appears.

Keep holding the UP button during this screen. When
you see this screen, you can release the UP button.

Because this reset is a bit awkward to perform, sometimes it
doesn't actually happen when you think it does. Test to see
if it worked:
Open the Applications launcher.
Choose the application named "Prefs."
Access the General preferences (on some devices, you may
need to access Power).
Tap on the pick list for Beam Receive. Choose "On." If it
still displays "Off," then your device was correctly
system reset.
Once you've tested that the system reset worked, perform a
soft reset. Otherwise, some functions will not work.
Sometimes a system reset fails to break out of a loop. These
extra steps may break the loop without having to perform a
full hard reset.
Perform the first part of a hard reset but stop when you see
the option to press UP to erase all data.
Then perform a system reset as described above but make sure
to depress the RESET pin first and then the UP button;
otherwise you will complete the hard reset. Be careful!
Don't accidentally perform a hard reset, or you will lose
all data on your device.
-------------------------

Zero Out Reset

Tungsten T5, Treo 650 only
A zero out reset will regress a device that has non-volatile
memory to its factory-fresh state. When done correctly, it
completely rewrites your device's internal memory with zeros
and ones, ensuring that any data is expunged. It should be
used only if you want all information completely obliterated
(example: you're selling your handheld, or you're sending it
in for repair, and want to protect your privacy).
Warning: A zero out reset will erase everything on your
device. All your data will be removed, and formats,
preferences and other settings are restored to their factory
default settings. Don't perform a zero out reset unless you
want to eradicate everyting.
HotSync note: If you wish to continue using your handheld
after a zero out reset, please be aware that some third-party
applications change the way your handheld backs up data. Other
third-party applications do not back up data. If you have
third-party software on your device, please contact the
developer to learn what components are backed up during a
HotSync operation, and if HotSync conduits are altered. Any
data not backed up will be permanently deleted.
There are two ways to perform a zero out reset.
Method One (Tungsten T5 only)

This method works only with a Tungsten T5. It does not work
with a Treo 650; for Treo 650, use Method Two, below.
If you've set a password on your device, any hard reset will
automatically become a zero out reset. With this method,
you'll enter a password and then perform a hard reset.
On your handheld, launch the Prefs application. From the
list that appears, under General, select Security.
If the Password box says "Unassigned," tap the box and
create a password for your handheld.
With the password set, perform a hard reset:
Hold down the power (on/off) button on your device.
While holding down the power button, turn over your device
so that you can see the back of it. Still holding the
power button, use an unfolded paper clip or a similar
small object, to gently press the RESET hole (where?).
Keep holding the power button throughout.
While still holding the power button, the screen will show
the palmOne logo and a progress bar will appear at the
bottom. Then the circular Palm Powered logo will appear.
Release the power button when you see the Palm Powered
logo.

Keep holding the power button during this screen.
When you see this screen, you can release the power
button.

A message will appear warning that you are about to erase
all the data stored on your handheld. Press UP.
You may see a screen that says "Reformatting in progress.
This may take several minutes." This screen will remain for
several minutes (up to 10 minutes). Don't do anything while
this is happening.
If you did this reset correctly, the screen of your device
will finally go blank after several minutes, and you will
not be able to turn on your handheld. The charging LED will
not light up. (any other activity — such as the Palm OS logo
and then the Applications launcher appearing — means the
reset was performed incorrectly; try again)
Your device will appear "dead." To wake up your handheld,
perform a soft reset.
If you want your device to remain in factory state, stop
here. If you want to restore data to your device, follow the
steps for recovering after a hard reset (a zero out reset is
a special type of hard reset).
Method Two (Tungsten T5 and Treo 650)

Read through these instructions before attempting the reset.
We made this method of zero out reset extremely awkward to
perform, so that it would not happen by accident. You may
need the help of a dextrous friend if you find it too
difficult to do by yourself.
Connect your device to its HotSync cable or cradle. The
HotSync cable does not need to be connected to your PC, and
it does not need to be connected to power.
Press and hold the Power button and UP on the 5-way
navigator.
While continuing to hold Power and UP, press and hold the
HotSync button on the HotSync cable or cradle. As you press
HotSync, make sure your other finger doesn't slide to LEFT
or RIGHT on the 5-way navigator; it needs to be exactly on
UP during the entire process. Although you are pressing the
HotSync button, a HotSync operation should not begin.
While continuing to hold Power, UP and HotSync, press and
release the RESET button on the back panel of your device
(where's the reset hole?). This is very difficult to do with
only one person; you may wish to hold the stylus in your
mouth and use your hands to press Power, UP and HotSync.
Release Power, UP and HotSync.
If you did this reset correctly, the screen of your device
will go blank, and you will not be able to turn it on. The
charging LED will not light up, even if it's connected to
power. It will appear to be "dead." (any other activity —
such as the Palm OS logo or a rainbow-colored Boot Log
screen appearing — means the reset was performed
incorrectly; try again)
Your device will appear "dead" for several minutes (up to 10
minutes). During this time, your device's internal memory is
being reformatted. If your device doesn't appear "dead" for
several minutes with the screen completely blank, the zero
out reset was performed incorrectly; try again.
After several minutes, your device will "wake up" and the
palmOne and Palm Powered logos will appear as if you had
performed a hard reset. Eventually, you'll be taken to a
series of screens to calibrate the touchscreen and set date
& time.

If you want your handheld to remain in factory state, stop
here. If you want to restore data to your device, follow the
steps for recovering after a hard reset (a zero out reset is
a special type of hard reset).
July 21, 2005 11:59:25 AM

AaronJ <unlisted@unlisted.com> wrote:

>"izendel@gmail.com" <izendel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I need help. My 8 month T5 won't reset. I get the moving bar, and then
>>the Palm round symbol, which does not go away. The power switch does
>>not do anything.Neither do any of the other buttons. Whether I do a
>>soft or hard reset, it stops at that stage.

> it's probably the big kahuna, the zero out reset.

You know, after reading that zero out reset more thoroughly it apparently is
just a regular hard reset for a T5 which you have already tried. But perhaps
when you did it you may not have waited long enough as apparently it takes quite
awhile. Also if that doesn't work, you might try that second zero out reset
where you need to hold the stylus in your mouth?? as it seems to have a
different screen presentation so might work a little differently and be worth a
try as well. I've been curious how problems such as this would be handled on a
non-volatile memory equipped PDA so please check back with the results,
hopefully they will be good ones...
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:43:16 AM

In article <1121951801.628833.160140@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
izendel@gmail.com says...

> I appreciate your quick and detailed response. Unfortunately, I tried
> both methods, to no avail. (Have tried them several times, and waited
> well beyond the times suggested).
>
> The farthest I got was a screen asking to calibrate the screen, but the
> screen was unresponsive. The flashing line right near the top of the
> screen starts about 15 secs after any reset attempt, and after that,
> the machine is frozen. As I said, the line is the full width of the
> screen and 1 or 2 pixels high. Any ideas?
>
> many thanks for you consideration.

<http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=26419&g...;
PalmOne Knowledge Library article 26419, Fix a handheld that's looping,
flashing, or frozen on the Palm Computing Platform logo.

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

Thanks for this informative post - I can't find the Palm page for that
three-button-mouth-stylus reset. I just did it, and it came up with the
"reformatting, please wait a few minutes" screen, and now it's sitting
there with a glowing white screen. It's been like that for 10 minutes
now. I just tried resetting it, and now it's off and won't come on
again even with the three-button reset (which I can now do with just
two hands! Pinky on the power switch, reset pin between thumb and
forefinger, "up" and sync with ring finger and forefinger of left hand)

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 2:37:12 PM

OK I just managed to do that again, by double-tapping in the reset
hole. It reformatted, went black, turned itself back on, went through
the logo screen, then came up with a single empty dialog box filling
the top of the screen with a "Reset" button at the bottom, and a
flashing black bar at the top of the screen. Screen unresponsive, I hit
the reset pin again, and now it's reformatting /again/, that's the
third reformat this evening so it should be very formatted now.

Time passes...

Thorin sits down and sings about gold...

It finished reformatting, turned itself off and back on again,
continued formatting, turned itself off and on again, says "palm
powered" with a flashing black line at the top of the screen. Not good.
Lets see what the reset button does... same again. Lets try the Up
button and a reset poke... that corrupts the top of the screen and it
fades to white. Power, Reset, it's off now and staying off.

You know what? I think it's broken. Well, that was fun.

Phil Hibbs.
!