Trivia 10 results

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

MARK BRADER- Kudos!! (from the greek kydos, glory, fame)

Out of 14 questions, he answered 8 correctly! In the future I will only
have one part questions as Question 9 (Hotel Nicknames) had a score of 3
points whick is not fair. He was on time and is from Toronto which at
one time had the tallest building in the world!

Great job!
WOW

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> MARK BRADER- Kudos!! (from the greek kydos, glory, fame)

Thanks.

> He was on time and is from Toronto which at
> one time had the tallest building in the world!

No, never. However, Toronto did formerly have the tallest building
in the Commonwealth of Nations (i.e. British Commonwealth), and still
has the tallest self-supporting structure in the world.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "[This book] is written in what I believed
msb@vex.net | to be my native language." --Susan Stepney

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

And the answers are?

<WizardofWallSt@webtv.net> wrote in message
> MARK BRADER- Kudos!! (from the greek kydos, glory, fame)
>
> Out of 14 questions, he answered 8 correctly! In the future I will only
> have one part questions as Question 9 (Hotel Nicknames) had a score of 3
> points whick is not fair. He was on time and is from Toronto which at
> one time had the tallest building in the world!
>
> Great job!
> WOW

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

About 3 weeks ago, an anonymous webtv user posted a set of 10 trivia
questions here, mostly on business subjects, and called for answers
by email with a very short deadline. This person then announced me
as the winner:

>> MARK BRADER- Kudos!! (from the greek kydos, glory, fame)
>> Out of 14 questions, he answered 8 correctly! In the future I will only
>> have one part questions ...

And Simon Chambers then asked:
> And the answers are?

but it was too late, as the original poster had already disappeared
from the newsgroup.

However, I have now received an email message from this person with
the 6 answer-parts for the ones I didn't get. So by way of answers,
I'm now posting my own original entry email as well as the answers
that were just emailed to me today, for those who may be interested.

Text quoted with "||" is the original questions, "=" is my answers
that were ruled correct, and "#" is from the original poster's email.

|| 1-What was Xerox's original name?

= Haloid.

|| 2-What does 3M stand for?

= Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing.

|| 3-How did its tape get to be known as "scotch" tape?

= One story is that they once made a masking tape that only had adhesive
= along the edges, and someone complained about them being stingy with it.

|| 4-What soap was considered a catastrophe, then a huge success. Tell
|| story.

= Ivory. It floated, then they decided to market it as a feature.

|| 5-What city has the tallest building in the world?

= Taipei.

|| 6-What do the three notes signify when played when the NBC peacock was
|| displayed?

= G-E-C = General Electric Corp.

|| 7-What company invented the cell phone and what company uses the message
|| first transmitted?

# Motorola called AT&T Bell and said, "Can you hear me now? (Now used by
# Verizon in some of its commercials.)

|| 8-What company invented the computer and what was it named?

= No company. Forms of computers were invented by several people --
= among them Charles Babbage, John Atanasoff, Konrad Zuse, Alan Turing,
= and John Mauchly and Presper Eckert -- all working either for their
= respective governments, or for academic institutions, or alone.
= They are responsible respectively, in whole or in part, for the
= Analytical Engine, the ABC, the Z3, the Colossus, and the ENIAC.

= If you mean to ask about early *commercially available* computers,
= I believe the first was the Ferranti Mark I (beating UNIVAC to
= market by a few months), although I may have that backwards. The
= fact that you ask "what was it named" suggests that you may be thinking
= of the first one with an interesting name, which would be the Lyon's
= Electronic Office or LEO, sold by Lyon's tea shops.

|| 9-What hotels have the "nicknames":The Hotel Del, The Don, and The Pen
|| and where are they located?

# Hotel Don Ceasar in St. Petersburg (Fl) circa 1910-1920's. Hotel Del
# Coronado in San Diego circa late 1800's (Same hotel used as The Seminole
# Ritz in Some Like It Hot! (Billy Wilder).) One of the first if not the
# first in California to have electricity! Formerly reached only by boat
# to land a bridge has been built. The Hotel Peninsula in Hong Kong always
# voted in top ten (If not three) in top 100 hotels in the world Cond
# Naste Travel Magazine.

|| 10-Why are vultures bald?

# Vultures are bald so the sun can kill the bacteria.
--
Mark Brader "Hacking for 8 years gives a guy a memory.
Toronto If you was with a woman -- I'd've noticed."