Volari and HL2?

Pl0pie

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
I see banners of VOLARI graphic cards all over the place? Do they fit the current competition ATI Nvida -or better will they replace NVidia in the competition to the GPU throne?
Or is it just a low cost card not worth mentionning?

You don't need eyes to see you need vision.

Pl0pie

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
On their pages they claim to have the fastest DX9 compatible card with PS 2.1!!!! So I would really wonder if it could beat the ATI 9800Pro...

Also if THG shows that on their pages I think they have to test it first!

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Show a link to the card...I doubt it can perform better than even a SiS Xaber Vid card

<font color=blue>other people's lives
seem more interesting
cuz they aint mine
</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Modest Mouse</font color=green>

TKS

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
They look pretty interesting- especially that dual-GPU model with the 16-pixel pipeline. Can't seem to find any of these Volari cards on Pricegrabber or Pricewatch...

tobsy_lloweh

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
It would seem the company behind these cards is a newly formed merger between Trident and SiS's graphics division. The difference being that they want to escape the "budget" image of SiS's former graphics chips by making a name for themselves in the top end gaming market. If the claims made by the company's management in an <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030815091936.html" target="_new">article</A> on xbitlabs are to be believed, along with the reports on this <A HREF="http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=7644&forum=9" target="_new">forum</A> then it looks like we might have a three horse race.

RCPilot

Champion
Well I hate the banners, flashing all the time while I'm trying to do the forums. Don't like them one little bit. Tom, quiet them down please.

Other than that, never herd of them, but they've kind of made me mad already. I hate that flashing thing!!!!!!!!

Well, I didn't think that was gonna happen!!!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Anohter thread here was discussing these cards. THis has 512 MB of DDR-II RAM & 16 pipelines, DX9 compliance, among other features.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Pl0pie

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
I've found some interesting posts in the links in this thread. One is on a forum where they talk about sample cards!! I would really want THG to apply for a sample card for testing so that we can estimate it's value in the current market. In my heading I posted HL2 because it is the first game to take the big step where Volari claims to have incorporated everything HL2 needs. Besides that, HL2 is showig perfectly the different qualities in high end cards on the market and if we were to believe Valve, NVidia lost part of the battle (/me awaits eagerly the Det.50). So what is (will be) the position of Volari benched on HL2?

My biggest question still remains... All of the hardware that is "bannered" on this site has been tested and approved by THG itself.... But with this banner THG is risking it's good name ffs. I was always quite interested in the banners that THG puts on it's pages and I always match the product against the results in one of the articles on THG itself... doesn't work for this one!!!

jurians

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
i think tom is fostering compitition and helping a new gfx company start in his own way. Seeing a 3rd competitor would spice the gfx market imo. time will tell

Pl0pie

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
What do you mean?

Wouldn't it be good to test the card and estimate it's value. I think I would be mad at Tom if he wouldn't test hardware and put it on its page... while the card costs e.g. € 500 and it doesn't even come near an ATI 9500 which costs only € 200..

It would be good to give them a boost if they deliver value/money and it would be good to warn us if there is a catch!!!

It appears that this is the production version of the fabled R9800ProMAXX, that was created to compete with the FX5900U should it blow away the R9800Pro. ATI dropped the idea, but it apears that these guys, , have picked up the idea and run with it. It will be interesting to see it's performance under various games (speed needing ones like Q3 and then ones like Morrowind, HL2)/applications (like 3Dsmax/Maya/Spec ViewPerf, etc.), and I'd love to see it's power consumption figures.

I think this will be an interesting experiment for the major makers to see if the concept is a good new direction. ATI was already considering multiple (4) R9600 class VPUs on a single chip.

I hope they at least get some good working prodct to market so we can see the results.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: