File transfer in XP

We have a new laptop on the way. It will have XP home as the OS. We
have an old laptop with Windows 2000 as the OS. I have a USB
interconnect cable. Can I transfer files from the old to the new with
the Windows software on them or do I have to invest in transfer
software like Laplink, etc.?

Hi Al,

Here's the perfect tool for the job, explained very nicely.
File & Settings Transfer Wizard:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php

--
Regards,