transfer to/from garmin gps

July 21, 2005 6:45:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I'm stumped.

All I'm trying to do is avoid bringing the laptop to download
16 hours of flying tracks. Thought if I could dump to the
Palm at short intervals, it would be great.

Configuration:
Garmin III Pilot
Palm Zire 31

Connection:
Garmin serial cable
<-> Serial/USB converter
<-> USB-A F-F (gender changer)
<-> USB cable to the Palm's USB port.

On the Garmin, I've set Format = Garmin
Tranfer Mode = Send WPT
and in to Status box, the message "Sending WPT 0 of 21 Packets"
appears.

On the Palm side, I have the GPilotS software running,
set the Preferences to
"Emulated GPS: GIII, GIII+",
"Serial Port: USB HotSync"

Under the GPS menu item I select "Check GPS", the Progress window
appears and after a few seconds, the message "No response from GPS".

Next attempt: same configuration on the Garmin but now I select
"Download" on the Palm. Again, the Progress window appears and
after a few seconds the message "30 s elapsed. 0 new, 0 replaced,
0 sent".

I'm completely baffled. Anyone have any suggestions?

More about : transfer garmin gps

July 21, 2005 10:12:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Blanche Cohen <blanche@atlas.csd.net> wrote:

Well, that usb converter... if you are using a standard laptop usb
converter, it probably will not work, as the zire to my knowledge only
has a usb slave built in.

What you need is a serial cable adapter, but I am not entirely sure that
the zire 31 has a serial port. I was unable to find a cable for it here
http://www.pcables.com/

KJ
--
http://www.cetusgps.dk
Anonymous

news3@SLETMIG.bifrostnet.dk (KJ) wrote:

>What you need is a serial cable adapter, but I am not entirely sure that
>the zire 31 has a serial port.

Yes there is no serial port on the Z31. And I'm not familiar with this
particular question but another easy way to get files aboard the Z31 is to use a
card reader on the PC side to transfer files to the SD card, and a free file
manager such as FileZ or FileProg on the Palm side to put them where you want in
the Z31.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:01:32 AM

KJ <news3@SLETMIG.bifrostnet.dk> wrote:
>Well, that usb converter... if you are using a standard laptop usb
>converter, it probably will not work, as the zire to my knowledge only
>has a usb slave built in.
>
>What you need is a serial cable adapter, but I am not entirely sure that
>the zire 31 has a serial port. I was unable to find a cable for it here
>http://www.pcables.com/

I've tried both my Keyspan serial-USB and iConcepts serial-USB.

I've used the Keyspan and the iConcepts when connecting to the USB
port on two different Macs (os 8.6 and osX). Don't need the USB
converter on the WinXP box, since the GPS serial cable works just
fine.

I'm really baffled. I'm thinking at this point it's probably the
software. Anyone know a better Garmin <-> Palm data transfer
program?
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:02:49 AM

AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote:
>news3@SLETMIG.bifrostnet.dk (KJ) wrote:
>
>>What you need is a serial cable adapter, but I am not entirely sure that
>>the zire 31 has a serial port.
>
>Yes there is no serial port on the Z31. And I'm not familiar with this
>particular question but another easy way to get files aboard the Z31 is to use a
>card reader on the PC side to transfer files to the SD card, and a free file
>manager such as FileZ or FileProg on the Palm side to put them where you want in
>the Z31.

This defeats the original intent of not dragging the laptop along.
If I bring the laptop, no need for the transfer to the Zire.

curses, foiled again!
July 22, 2005 4:24:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Blanche Cohen <blanche@atlas.csd.net> wrote:

> I'm really baffled. I'm thinking at this point it's probably the
> software. Anyone know a better Garmin <-> Palm data transfer
> program?

You are missing the point. I am sure the serial-USB converters work fine
on the Mac, but they will not on the Palm.

USB units are regarded as masters or slaves. The Mac and PC USB ports
are masters and nearly all USB equipment are slaves.

A Palm zire 31 is also a USB slave unit, and since slaves are unable to
communicate with other slaves like your USB-serial adapters it simply
will not work.

Most Palm units do have a serial interface built into the universal
connector. That is why they can communicate with Garmin GPS receivers
using software like gpilots. Since the zire 31 has no such port, there
is no way to get this exact Palm to talk to your Garmin III.

As for other Palm software I can only recommend my own application Cetus
GPS http://www.cetusgps.dk But like gpilots it will not work with your
setup.

Regards, KJ
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:26:10 AM

blanche@atlas.csd.net (Blanche Cohen) wrote:

>This defeats the original intent of not dragging the laptop along.
>If I bring the laptop, no need for the transfer to the Zire.

How about storing the needed files on an SD card or 2 before you leave? The Zire
31 will handle 1G cards. They would fit right in your handheld case...
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:32:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

news3@SLETMIG.bifrostnet.dk (KJ) wrote:

>Since the zire 31 has no such port, there
>is no way to get this exact Palm to talk to your Garmin III.

Ah, that is the problem. Cancel my SD card suggestion then. I thought the
problem was getting files onto the Z31 by using the serial port. Lesson: don't
jump in mid thread... ;)
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:39:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote:
>blanche@atlas.csd.net (Blanche Cohen) wrote:
>
>>This defeats the original intent of not dragging the laptop along.
>>If I bring the laptop, no need for the transfer to the Zire.
>
>How about storing the needed files on an SD card or 2 before you leave? The Zire
>31 will handle 1G cards. They would fit right in your handheld case...

Great idea....and I've done that for all the MP3 files but...

The objective is to download the GPS track into the Zire only an SD
card so that I can save it for the laptop later on. I'll be flying over
16 hours and the GPS won't hold that much info (FIFO concept).

*sigh*
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:42:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

KJ <news3@SLETMIG.bifrostnet.dk> wrote:

>A Palm zire 31 is also a USB slave unit, and since slaves are unable to
>communicate with other slaves like your USB-serial adapters it simply
>will not work.
>
>Most Palm units do have a serial interface built into the universal
>connector. That is why they can communicate with Garmin GPS receivers
>using software like gpilots. Since the zire 31 has no such port, there
>is no way to get this exact Palm to talk to your Garmin III.
>
>As for other Palm software I can only recommend my own application Cetus
>GPS http://www.cetusgps.dk But like gpilots it will not work with your
>setup.

Thanks for the explanation...now I understand. Guess I'm taking the
laptop afterall. If I had known, I would have gotten a different
Palm. A learning experience.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:43:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote:
>news3@SLETMIG.bifrostnet.dk (KJ) wrote:
>
>>Since the zire 31 has no such port, there
>>is no way to get this exact Palm to talk to your Garmin III.
>
>Ah, that is the problem. Cancel my SD card suggestion then. I thought the
>problem was getting files onto the Z31 by using the serial port. Lesson: don't
>jump in mid thread... ;)

What good is that? Half the fun around here is coming in in the middle
of the story.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:24:32 AM

Blanche Cohen wrote:

> KJ <news3@SLETMIG.bifrostnet.dk> wrote:
>

>>A Palm zire 31 is also a USB slave unit, and since slaves are unable to
>>communicate with other slaves like your USB-serial adapters it simply
>>will not work.
>>
>>Most Palm units do have a serial interface built into the universal
>>connector. That is why they can communicate with Garmin GPS receivers
>>using software like gpilots. Since the zire 31 has no such port, there
>>is no way to get this exact Palm to talk to your Garmin III.
>>
>>As for other Palm software I can only recommend my own application Cetus
>>GPS http://www.cetusgps.dk But like gpilots it will not work with your
>>setup.
>

> Thanks for the explanation...now I understand. Guess I'm taking the
> laptop afterall. If I had known, I would have gotten a different
> Palm. A learning experience.

Getting a Palm with a real serial port opens up all sorts of GPS
possibilities, including navigation. Sometimes saving money isn't the
right decision on buying hardware.

Dale

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

Dale DePriest <Dale@gpsinformation.het> wrote:

> Getting a Palm with a real serial port opens up all sorts of GPS
> possibilities, including navigation. Sometimes saving money isn't the
> right decision on buying hardware.

The Tungsten E2 seems to be a good choice for now, it is fairly cheap,
it has the serial port and bluetooth, and the battery lifetime should be
better than most - not that it has much competition though.

KJ
--
http://www.cetusgps.dk
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

blanche@atlas.csd.net (Blanche Cohen) wrote in news:D bouus$7493$1
@apollo.csd.net:

> I'm really baffled. I'm thinking at this point it's probably the
> software. Anyone know a better Garmin <-> Palm data transfer
> program?

Not with a Zire. It's not software, it's hardware. It's a USB slave,
and cannot talk to any other slave device, only masters, like a PC. You
can't use a GPS with it. You'll have to get a Palm with a serial port
(read universal connector). USB is *not* universal. That's just a
Microsoft marketing name.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 10:13:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"John W. Kennedy" <jwkenne@attglobal.net> wrote in

> It works with keyboards, mouses, disks, flashRAM, scanners, printers,
> modems, MIDI, Ethernet, and Lord only knows what else. Sounds pretty
> universal to me.

But only from these to a PC. They can't talk to each other directly. With
an RS232 serial connection they can.

> In any case, there is the USB On-The-Go spec., specifically designed
> for combined master/slave hubs.

I don't think that will help in this scenario.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 8:46:31 PM

Stan Gosnell wrote:

> "John W. Kennedy" <jwkenne@attglobal.net> wrote in
>
>> It works with keyboards, mouses, disks, flashRAM, scanners, printers,
>> modems, MIDI, Ethernet, and Lord only knows what else. Sounds pretty
>> universal to me.
>
> But only from these to a PC. They can't talk to each other directly.
> With an RS232 serial connection they can.

I'd like to see a keyboard that can talk to Ethernet over an RS/232
connection.

>> In any case, there is the USB On-The-Go spec., specifically designed
>> for combined master/slave hubs.
>
> I don't think that will help in this scenario.

Probably not.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate