Undeletable directory

Paul

Splendid

Due to an interupted install I now have a folder in my Program Files
directory call ATI (with a trailing space - "ATI "). I can open the folder
and add files to it but it won't delete (giving "Cannot delete File: Cannot
read from the source file or disk" errors).

I've done a search and found that using RM.exe from the command prompt
should work but I cannot find this file anywhere (it's supposed to come from
the Windows NT resource kit). I have found RM.exe on a Windows 98 resource
kit but when I try to use it to delete "ATI " it simply says that the system
cannot find the file.

This is driving me mad, can anyone tell me how to delete this file or at
least where I can obtain RM.exe?

Thanks,
Paul

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

"Paul" wrote:

> Due to an interupted install I now have a folder in my Program Files
> directory call ATI (with a trailing space - "ATI "). I can open the folder
> and add files to it but it won't delete (giving "Cannot delete File: Cannot
> read from the source file or disk" errors).
>
> I've done a search and found that using RM.exe from the command prompt
> should work but I cannot find this file anywhere (it's supposed to come from
> the Windows NT resource kit). I have found RM.exe on a Windows 98 resource
> kit but when I try to use it to delete "ATI " it simply says that the system
> cannot find the file.
>
> This is driving me mad, can anyone tell me how to delete this file or at
> least where I can obtain RM.exe?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Try the following:

Open a command prompt window. Start -> Run -> cmd.exe.
Type RMDIR C:\Program Files\ATI /s and hit enter.
Note: Try first with 2 spaces between ATI and /s. If that doesn't
work try 1 space.

You may have to boot into Safe Mode in order to remove this
directory.

--
Nepatsfan
> Due to an interupted install I now have a folder in my Program
> Files
> directory call ATI (with a trailing space - "ATI "). I can open
> the folder
> and add files to it but it won't delete (giving "Cannot delete
> File: Cannot
> read from the source file or disk" errors).
>
> I've done a search and found that using RM.exe from the command
> prompt
> should work but I cannot find this file anywhere (it's supposed
> to come from
> the Windows NT resource kit). I have found RM.exe on a Windows
> 98 resource
> kit but when I try to use it to delete "ATI " it simply says
> that the system
> cannot find the file.
>
> This is driving me mad, can anyone tell me how to delete this
> file or at
> least where I can obtain RM.exe?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I finally found a solution that worked - RD
\\?\c:\program files\"ATI " based on information at
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=320081 so it seems that I
didn't need RM.exe after all.

Thanks again,
Paul