MSIE hijacked

March 17, 2005 8:31:21 PM

My MSIE has been hijacked .. home page and search changed and can't be
altered .. also old "restore points" are gone. I updated and ran "Spybot"
and "Ad-Aware" but neither helped solve the problem. Tried to access
"microtrends housecall" to scan for problems but keep getting error message
and it will not allow me to access that website.
Home Page in MSIE is something called "about:blank". Browser keeps taking me
to page with the Microsoft logo on it .. purporting to be a Microsoft Site
....http://www.Xmsnprotection.com/search.php?pin=28129. (remove X)

with the follow error message (among others)

"My settings have changed and I can't change them back to the way they were.
Some unwanted software has the ability to change your home page or search
page
settings. This means that the page that opens first when you start your
Internet browser or the page that appears when you select "search" may be
pages that you do not recognize. Even if you know how to adjust these
settings,
you may find that they revert back every time you restart your computer. "

It keeps taking me to pages that are trying to get me to BUY and download
removal programs

namerd "error nuker" and "Stopzilla"

also the following webpage for scanning

"http://Xspywarebegone.com/findwhat/download.html" (remove X)

How can I remove and repair the damage done by this? Or can anyone suggest a
website that I can access for help?

eaustin@intergate.com

More about : msie hijacked

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:52:06 PM

Download and run a scan:

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"^~Edd~^" wrote:

| My MSIE has been hijacked .. home page and search changed and can't be
| altered .. also old "restore points" are gone. I updated and ran "Spybot"
| and "Ad-Aware" but neither helped solve the problem. Tried to access
| "microtrends housecall" to scan for problems but keep getting error message
| and it will not allow me to access that website.
| Home Page in MSIE is something called "about:blank". Browser keeps taking me
| to page with the Microsoft logo on it .. purporting to be a Microsoft Site
| ...http://www.Xmsnprotection.com/search.php?pin=28129. (remove X)
|
| with the follow error message (among others)
|
| "My settings have changed and I can't change them back to the way they were.
| Some unwanted software has the ability to change your home page or search
| page
| settings. This means that the page that opens first when you start your
| Internet browser or the page that appears when you select "search" may be
| pages that you do not recognize. Even if you know how to adjust these
| settings,
| you may find that they revert back every time you restart your computer. "
|
| It keeps taking me to pages that are trying to get me to BUY and download
| removal programs
|
| namerd "error nuker" and "Stopzilla"
|
| also the following webpage for scanning
|
| "http://Xspywarebegone.com/findwhat/download.html" (remove X)
|
| How can I remove and repair the damage done by this? Or can anyone suggest a
| website that I can access for help?
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 6:43:05 AM

Indeed !
The Advanced Tools of this program have an option called 'Browser Restore'
... try that.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Download and run a scan:
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "^~Edd~^" wrote:
>
> | My MSIE has been hijacked .. home page and search changed and can't be
> | altered .. also old "restore points" are gone. I updated and ran "Spybot"
> | and "Ad-Aware" but neither helped solve the problem. Tried to access
> | "microtrends housecall" to scan for problems but keep getting error message
> | and it will not allow me to access that website.
> | Home Page in MSIE is something called "about:blank". Browser keeps taking me
> | to page with the Microsoft logo on it .. purporting to be a Microsoft Site
> | ...http://www.Xmsnprotection.com/search.php?pin=28129. (remove X)
> |
> | with the follow error message (among others)
> |
> | "My settings have changed and I can't change them back to the way they were.
> | Some unwanted software has the ability to change your home page or search
> | page
> | settings. This means that the page that opens first when you start your
> | Internet browser or the page that appears when you select "search" may be
> | pages that you do not recognize. Even if you know how to adjust these
> | settings,
> | you may find that they revert back every time you restart your computer. "
> |
> | It keeps taking me to pages that are trying to get me to BUY and download
> | removal programs
> |
> | namerd "error nuker" and "Stopzilla"
> |
> | also the following webpage for scanning
> |
> | "http://Xspywarebegone.com/findwhat/download.html" (remove X)
> |
> | How can I remove and repair the damage done by this? Or can anyone suggest a
> | website that I can access for help?

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:58:15 AM

This really helped .. so far at least. Thanks for the help!

"

!