Inspiron 3800 BIOS flash gone bad...

Was flashing the BIOS of my Inspiron 3800 and it stopped/hung at 50%, now I have
a useless laptop. Was doing an A: drive BIOS update, everything was going fine
until it started writing the new bios and it then froze 50% thru and never
finished. Now it doesn't even boot.

Anyone know of any "easy" solutions. If all else fails, ill just sell it for
parts, since everywhere I looked a replacement motherboard for this was around
$150 and Dell wants $550 for a motherboard.

Thanks for any suggestions, please feel free to laugh as well, HAH.
8 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 3800 bios flash

    "G" <.@.> wrote in message
    > Was flashing the BIOS of my Inspiron 3800 and it stopped/hung at 50%, now
    I have
    > a useless laptop. Was doing an A: drive BIOS update, everything was going
    fine
    > until it started writing the new bios and it then froze 50% thru and never
    > finished. Now it doesn't even boot.
    >
    > Anyone know of any "easy" solutions. If all else fails, ill just sell it
    for
    > parts, since everywhere I looked a replacement motherboard for this was
    around
    > $150 and Dell wants $550 for a motherboard.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions, please feel free to laugh as well, HAH.

    G,

    Have you tried to reflash? Also what BIOS do you have? This *may* help
    you:

    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html

    http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-77604.html

    HTH
    Louie
    Chiefland, FL,USA

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:17:56 -0500, "Louie" <louie@spammenot.com> wrote:

    >"G" <.@.> wrote in message
    >> Was flashing the BIOS of my Inspiron 3800 and it stopped/hung at 50%, now
    >I have
    >> a useless laptop. Was doing an A: drive BIOS update, everything was going
    >fine
    >> until it started writing the new bios and it then froze 50% thru and never
    >> finished. Now it doesn't even boot.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of any "easy" solutions. If all else fails, ill just sell it
    >for
    >> parts, since everywhere I looked a replacement motherboard for this was
    >around
    >> $150 and Dell wants $550 for a motherboard.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any suggestions, please feel free to laugh as well, HAH.
    >
    >G,
    >
    >Have you tried to reflash? Also what BIOS do you have? This *may* help
    >you:
    >
    >http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html
    >
    >http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-77604.html
    >
    >HTH
    >Louie
    >Chiefland, FL,USA

    I appreciate the quick reply, but I am not sure which type of BIOS is on this
    laptop. I am unable to "reflash" considering the system is pretty much dead, it
    doesn't appear to do much of anything, it powers up for about 5-10 seconds then
    shuts itself down. I have a disk floppy disk in drive but it doesn't access it.

    Thanks for the links, I will read thru them, but on a quick read thru I didn't
    see anything that would help, will look closer though.

    > I appreciate the quick reply, but I am not sure which type of BIOS is on
    this
    > laptop. I am unable to "reflash" considering the system is pretty much
    dead, it
    > doesn't appear to do much of anything, it powers up for about 5-10 seconds
    then
    > shuts itself down. I have a disk floppy disk in drive but it doesn't
    access it.

    > Thanks for the links, I will read thru them, but on a quick read thru I
    didn't
    > see anything that would help, will look closer though.

    Mmmm, take a look here:

    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_bios&mes
    sage.id=25932&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

    May have to open it up and reset CMOS pin or reseat CPU:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pstar/en/sm_en/r_r.htm?c=us&l=
    en&s=dhs&cs=19

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pstar/en/sm_en/index.htm?c=us&
    l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

    Sorry I can't be of more help.

    Louie
    Chiefland, FL, USA

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:37:18 -0500, "Louie" <louie@spammenot.com> wrote:

    > I appreciate the quick reply, but I am not sure which type of BIOS is on this
    > laptop. I am unable to "reflash" considering the system is pretty much dead, it
    > doesn't appear to do much of anything, it powers up for about 5-10 seconds then
    > shuts itself down. I have a disk floppy disk in drive but it doesn't access it.
    >
    > Thanks for the links, I will read thru them, but on a quick read thru I didn't
    > see anything that would help, will look closer though.
    >
    >Mmmm, take a look here:
    >
    >http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_bios&message.id=25932&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >
    >May have to open it up and reset CMOS pin or reseat CPU:
    >
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pstar/en/sm_en/r_r.htm?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pstar/en/sm_en/index.htm?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >
    >Sorry I can't be of more help.
    >
    >Louie
    >Chiefland, FL, USA

    Thanks again, but I have looked these pages over before, I posted here (except
    for the first one) and were helpful in telling me how to break it down, but
    nothing else.

    I already stripped down the entire laptop, pulled everything out except the
    fan/heatpipe unit. I never did see or read anything about a CMOS jumper. Even
    though there was a jumper over by the PCMCIA slots. I could not even locate
    anything that looked like a BIOS chip. I was going to see if I could just
    remove it and get a replacement from an online "bad flash" vendor, but I didn't
    see any "removable" type chips, so if its there, its soldered to the board.

    I'm just considering it a lost cause now, considering trying to get a used
    motherboard from someone on eBay, least it will be cheaper that way, riskier
    though.

    Know where I can get a parts breakdown for this laptop? How to determine the
    motherboard rev/model number?

    Does pressing the master reset switch on the rear of the system have any
    effect?

    I was thinking of flashing my BIOS but now I'm not so sure.

    How can I tell which version of the BIOS I have installed?

    Thanks.

    In message <n8b6u05ddvbj4h2anqh16k0di8gqtcedtt@4ax.com>, G
    <?.?@?.?.invalid> writes

    --
    Harry Gilbertson

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:29:00 +0000, nospam <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Does pressing the master reset switch on the rear of the system have any
    >effect?
    >
    >I was thinking of flashing my BIOS but now I'm not so sure.
    >
    >How can I tell which version of the BIOS I have installed?
    >
    >Thanks.

    There is no master reset switch on the back of this Inspiron 3800, that I know
    of.

    I have flashed many desktops and never had a problem, course the first laptop I
    do and it takes a dump, just my luck.

    You can usually tell which version of BIOS you have when you boot up, there will
    be a long string some where near the bottom of the screen, the last couple
    digits should be the BIOS rev.

    What Master reset switch??? new one on me
    "nospam" <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Does pressing the master reset switch on the rear of the system have any
    > effect?
    >
    > I was thinking of flashing my BIOS but now I'm not so sure.
    >
    > How can I tell which version of the BIOS I have installed?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > In message <n8b6u05ddvbj4h2anqh16k0di8gqtcedtt@4ax.com>, G
    > <?.?@?.?.invalid> writes
    >>On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:17:56 -0500, "Louie" <louie@spammenot.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"G" <.@.> wrote in message
    >>>I have
    >>>fine

    >>>for
    >>>around

    >>>G,
    >>>
    >>>Have you tried to reflash? Also what BIOS do you have? This *may* help
    >>>you:
    >>>
    >>>http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html
    >>>
    >>>http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-77604.html
    >>>
    >>>HTH
    >>>Louie
    >>>Chiefland, FL,USA
    >>>

    >>I appreciate the quick reply, but I am not sure which type of BIOS is on
    >>this
    >>laptop. I am unable to "reflash" considering the system is pretty much
    >>dead, it
    >>doesn't appear to do much of anything, it powers up for about 5-10 seconds
    >>then
    >>shuts itself down. I have a disk floppy disk in drive but it doesn't
    >>access it.
    >>
    >>Thanks for the links, I will read thru them, but on a quick read thru I
    >>didn't
    >>see anything that would help, will look closer though.
    >
    > --
    > Harry Gilbertson

    Sorry, my Inspiron 3100 has a small hole which has a reset switch behind
    it, it can be reset with the pointy end of a pen.

    The 3800 must have a different design.

    In message <ofq6u09pfddgd0r3lljv8j4m72nncsltot@4ax.com>, G
    <?.?@?.?.invalid> writes
    >On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:29:00 +0000, nospam <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Does pressing the master reset switch on the rear of the system have any
    >>effect?
    >>
    >>I was thinking of flashing my BIOS but now I'm not so sure.
    >>
    >>How can I tell which version of the BIOS I have installed?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    >There is no master reset switch on the back of this Inspiron 3800, that I know
    >of.
    >
    >I have flashed many desktops and never had a problem, course the first laptop I
    >do and it takes a dump, just my luck.
    >
    >You can usually tell which version of BIOS you have when you boot up,
    >there will
    >be a long string some where near the bottom of the screen, the last couple
    >digits should be the BIOS rev.

Dell BIOS Inspiron Computers