Listy's Themed Quiz * Horse Racing * 12/09

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

The latest themed quiz from Listy is published below....

12/September - Horse racing -

1) Which jockey had his third Derby win in 2005 when he rode home
Motivator?

2) Which two races make up the Autumn Double?

3) Who trained the first five horses home in the Cheltenham Gold Cup of
1983?

4) Where was the Derby run during World War Two?

5) In which year were all five classics won by fillies?

6) What was the name of the royal horse ridden by Dick Francis who
collapsed whilst clear and 50 yards from the post in the 1956 Grand
National?

7) Where are the Coronation Stakes and the St James' Palace Stakes
run in June?

8) Who was champion jockey ten years in succession from 1914 to 1923?

9) Which race run annually in Louisville is nicknamed The Run for the
Roses?

10) Which three races make up the English Triple Crown?

11) Which race ran at Sandown Park has winners including Arkle in 1965,
Mill House in 1967 and Desert Orchid in 1988?

12) Which crunchy Australian horse led Red Rum for most of the 1973
Grand National?

13) Who was the first jockey to ride 1000 winners under National Hunt
rules?

14) Where is the French equivalent of the Derby, the Prix du Jockey
Club run?

15) Who is the only man to win both the US and British champion jockey
titles?

16) Who through herself under the King's horse Anmer in 1913?

17) Which is the only horse to have won both the Champion Hurdle and
the Cheltenham Gold Cup?

18) Inaugurated in 1886, which famous race is held on the first Tuesday
in November at Flemington Park?

19) Who was the first jockey to be knighted?

20) Which is the world's richest race with a total prize fund of $4
million?

I will try to get some sort of scoring system in place (if I get time)
something like; 1 point for a correct answer plus a bonus point if you
were the first person to answer the question correctly. This will give
people a chance even if they don't see the quiz straight away.

******************************­­******

If you enjoyed this quiz and would like to see more of the same then
feel free to visit our site http://pubquizzer.com

"Quiz Master" <david.7.bell@bt.com> writes:

> 6) What was the name of the royal horse ridden by Dick Francis who
> collapsed whilst clear and 50 yards from the post in the 1956 Grand
> National?

Devon Lock

> 7) Where are the Coronation Stakes and the St James' Palace Stakes
> run in June?

Royal Ascot

> 9) Which race run annually in Louisville is nicknamed The Run for the
> Roses?

Kentucky Derby

> 10) Which three races make up the English Triple Crown?

Derby, St Leger, 10,000 Guineas

> 14) Where is the French equivalent of the Derby, the Prix du Jockey
> Club run?

Longchamps?

> 15) Who is the only man to win both the US and British champion
> jockey titles?

Schumaker?

> 16) Who through herself under the King's horse Anmer in 1913?

Emiline Pankhurst

> 20) Which is the world's richest race with a total prize fund of $4
> million?

Dubai Desert Classic?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Quiz Master" <david.7.bell@bt.com> writes:

> The latest themed quiz from Listy is published below....
>
> 12/September - Horse racing -
>
> 1) Which jockey had his third Derby win in 2005 when he rode home
> Motivator?

Johnny Murtagh

> 2) Which two races make up the Autumn Double?

Cesaravitch?

> 3) Who trained the first five horses home in the Cheltenham Gold Cup of
> 1983?

Argh. I know this.

Geoff something. ARGH.

> 4) Where was the Derby run during World War Two?

Newmarket

> 5) In which year were all five classics won by fillies?

Good question. I have no idea, though.

> 11) Which race ran at Sandown Park has winners including Arkle in 1965,
> Mill House in 1967 and Desert Orchid in 1988?

The Whitbread Gold Cup

> 12) Which crunchy Australian horse led Red Rum for most of the 1973
> Grand National?

Crisp

> 13) Who was the first jockey to ride 1000 winners under National Hunt
> rules?

Scudamore?

> 15) Who is the only man to win both the US and British champion jockey
> titles?

Steve Cauthen

> 17) Which is the only horse to have won both the Champion Hurdle and
> the Cheltenham Gold Cup?

Dawn Run

> 18) Inaugurated in 1886, which famous race is held on the first Tuesday
> in November at Flemington Park?

Melbourne Cup

> 19) Who was the first jockey to be knighted?

Hmm. Good question. Gordon Richards?

> 20) Which is the world's richest race with a total prize fund of $4
> million?

Dubai Cup?

Ceci n'est pas une sig

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

***************THE ANSWERS*************

12/September - Horse racing

1) Which jockey had his third Derby win in 2005 when he rode home
Motivator? Johnny Murtagh (other wins were Sinndar 2000 and High
Chaparral 2005)

2) Which two races make up the Autumn Double? Cesarewitch and
Cambridgeshire

3) Who trained the first five horses home in the Cheltenham Gold Cup of
1983? Michael Dickinson

4) Where was the Derby run during World War Two? Newmarket

5) In which year were all five classics won by fillies? 1882

6) What was the name of the royal horse ridden by Dick Francis who
collapsed whilst clear and 50 yards from the post in the 1956 Grand
National? Devon Loch

7) Where are the Coronation Stakes and the St James' Palace Stakes
run in June? Royal Ascot

8) Who was champion jockey ten years in succession from 1914 to 1923?
Steve Donoghue

9) Which race run annually in Louisville is nicknamed The Run for the
Roses? Kentucky Derby

10) Which three races make up the English Triple Crown? 2000 Guineas,
Derby, St Leger

11) Which race ran at Sandown Park has winners including Arkle in 1965,
Mill House in 1967 and Desert Orchid in 1988? Whitbread Gold Cup

12) Which crunchy Australian horse led Red Rum for most of the 1973
Grand National? Crisp

13) Who was the first jockey to ride 1000 winners under National Hunt
rules? Stan Mellor

14) Where is the French equivalent of the Derby, the Prix du Jockey
Club run? Chantilly

15) Who is the only man to win both the US and British champion jockey
titles? Steve Cauthen

16) Who through herself under the King's horse Anmer in 1913? Emily
Davison

17) Which is the only horse to have won both the Champion Hurdle and
the Cheltenham Gold Cup? Dawn Run

18) Inaugurated in 1886, which famous race is held on the first Tuesday
in November at Flemington Park? Melbourne Cup

19) Who was the first jockey to be knighted? Sir Gordon Richards

20) Which is the world's richest race with a total prize fund of $4
million? Dubai World Cup